Sony's sudden interest in 3D

Blade

"Original Blade"
It was announced yesterday that Sony are planning to release their first 3D TV in Japan on June 10th. It's going to cost around 350,000 yen, which is over 2,500 both euro and GBP and over 3,500 dollars. They're not the first to do sell 3D TVs, with companies like Panasonic and LG already having 3D TV's in American and European markets.

But now Sony are going to take it further, with 3D gaming. Sony are hoping to release the firmware for 3D PS3 gaming around the same time that their 3D TVs come out and at CES 2010, Sony are going to be showing off their 3D technology, with rumours of a 3D Gran Turismo possibly being playable at the show...

So... What does everyone think? Gimmick or is this truly the future? Also, are Sony moving through technology too fast?

I think, right at this moment, 3D gaming is definitely not needed. 5-10 years down the line, yes, it'll certainly be a big thing. But fucking hell Sony, wasn't HDTV stuff supposed to be what you were pushing this generation? Alot of us haven't even got a HDTV yet.

It seems to me that Sony is just willing to jump on the bandwagon of any fad they see coming. A few years ago HDTV's were the next big thing, Sony jumped on board. Then it was Blu-Ray. Then it was motion sensing video games. And now, with everyone creaming over Avatar, Sony have decided to jump on the 3D bandwagon. I think they're just moving way too fast through technology. HDTV hasn't even hit it's peak yet, and Blu-Ray isn't even close to hitting it's peak, so Sony will be making a mistake if they start supporting 3D so strongly in the coming few years.

There was another company who jumped from technology to technology like there was no tomorrow too, seemingly abandoning their last achievement until something new and better came along and then throwing all their money behind that. They were called SEGA. Just Saying.

Sony is trying to be ahead of the curve with the next generation of gaming. Specs wise, the PS3 is miles ahead of the Wii or the 360, yet the PS3 came out a year later and is having a helluva time playing catchup.

You have a system like the PS3, which has the raw power to support 3D gaming, then why not utilize it. What are people going to pay for first, maybe a 100 dollar software update to get to 3D gaming, or for Microsoft to have to make a complete new console for 400 or 500 dollars. The choice is simple.

3D seems to be here to stay this time. Movies like Avatar and Alice in wonderland are beginning to prove that this isn't a fad. If a Niche movie like Clash of the Titans makes bank at the box office next month, it pretty much solidifies that 3D is here for good.

Sony is being proactive this time, not reactive.

I don't this will work. At least now. Especially with all the equipment being so expensive. When the PS3 came out it was a 500-600 $. Excluding taxes. That alone would drive some people away from it. The firmware is free (I assume) but the TV obviously has to be purchised seperatly. And it can't possibly be something at a resonable price.

I think Sony is trying way too hard. They are doing fine with the PS3 so why worry about a new gimmick. Especially while people are still settling with HD sets. I just see it going bad.

Truth be told, I think you are right Blade.

I do think that technology is moving too fast and I do think that Sony (and everyone else) ought to slow down for a while and allow people to actually think about these decisions. For example, I have had an HDTV for two years or so. Last month, I went out and bought another one that is much bigger and much better. I would consider it to be a great TV and one of the best out there. However, in a years time, this TV will be outdated and I will want another one. Not out of necessity, but rather out of the need to keep up. HD was a fad that caught on fantastically quickly and some people do not even have an HD Television, even now. As you said, the next big thing is going to be 3-D and it means that people will be even further behind the curve of technology. This is especially true when Sony are pumping out TV's that are thousands and thousands of pounds. I fear, that as a society, we are leaving people behind technologically and I don't think that is wise. You are reducing the amount of people that could possibly buy the products just for a jump on the competition.

With the wider picture being addressed, time to move on to the proposition of Sony. Sony have, time and time again, been left behind in all things technological. The thing about Sony is that they can do things extraordinarily well, after people have gotten the jump on them. Take for example HD televisions. Sony came late to that game and came out with the Sony Bravia range which is a fantastic range of TV's. They are expensive but they are probably the best HDTV's out there. You could say the same about the PS3 and how they have still managed to pump out a great console, even though they were years behind Nintendo and Microsoft. The fact that they are being proactive will help them a lot and I expect that 3-D will be the next big thing for them. I don't like the idea of sitting in my loungs with 3-D glasses on to watch the TV and I hope it fails but that is another story for another time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back