• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

2011 NCAA Football Thread

"Anyone who doesn't win their conference championship has no business playing in the national title game"

Oh what a difference 8 years makes...This is current Alabama head coach Nick Saban, spoken in 2003. I wonder if he still believes that, now that Alabama is in the National Championship game despite not winning their conference championship, despite not even winning their division...The hypocrisy of the entire BCS system needs to be exposed. I actually kind of want Alabama to win the rematch, and see the AP, which is NOT part of the BCS, still vote LSU the national champion. A split national championship, between two teams in the same division of the same conference, where they went 1-1 against each other, would be yet another nail in the BCS coffin. I want whatever will give us the most controversy possible, so that the BCS goes down.

Big news announced just minutes ago by Matt Barkley... he WILL be staying in USC and will complete his senior season. I have to say, this is a HUGE announcement in terms of the college landscape. I feel like USC is a team that could seriously derail the SEC's run of championships and they will now have the top QB to do it. Stanford will take a hit with the loss of Luck and the entire South division (which USC is in) isn't daunting. 3 teams will bring in new head coaches, and the other two are Colorado and Utah. While they are going to lose their top tackle in Matt Kahil to the draft, they'll more then likely be favorites in all but maybe one game (vs. Oregon at home). Obviously it's tough to go undefeated, if USC loses more then 1 game and doesn't at least make it back to the BCS I think many would see it as a disappointing season. One of the early 2012 frontrunners, for sure.

There has to be a reason that Barkley decided to come back. He is already getting a lot of draft love, so unless the Trojans are eligible to play in postseason games next year, I am not sure that he really would benefit from staying. Don't get me wrong, I love when guys stay for their senior years...but given he is already a likely first round draft pick, I am curious as to why.

Same reason Andrew Luck, Tim Tebow, Sam Bradford, etc. all stayed: you only get so much time in college, and he was born a Trojan fan. He probably saw what Leinart and Bush did of yesteryear and wanted to bring back the glory of those teams. The money will come. He might actually be drafted #1 now instead of #5 or wherever he is picked. While that's not a large difference, especially anymore, he'll get his money and I think genuinely loves USC. It's not some conspiracy theory where Kiffin paid Barkley to stay his final year and give them a shot at the national title. He's just following the footsteps of some lately and wants to spend more time in college. No problem with that. If he doesn't feel ready for the NFL he didn't have to go, so he didn't.

Oh, to be more direct with your question, USC's sanctions are up starting next year.

Okay, just curious as to his motivations.

Not sure if you visit MLive at all or AnnArbor.com (I know you are a Sparty, not a Wolverine) but Denard Robinson has filed the necessary paperwork with the NFL Draft Advisory Committee to explore what his draft status would be. He said it's very likely he will stay for his senior year, but that he is curious.

I think if he really, really wants to be a QB in the NFL, like Tebow, there is no chance in hell he will leave, he will stay and get another year of the offense under his belt as experience...but if he finds out that no NFL team would consider drafting him as a QB, but he would be a first rounder as a tailback or something...I think he might consider bolting, or at the least, make a position change for next year, similar to what Antwaan Randel El did at Indiana. I am 90% certain that Denard Robinson will still be a Wolverine next year, but only about 60% certain that if he returns, it will be as a QB. I wouldn't be shocked if he changed positions to improve his draft status at all.

Denard has said himself that he likely isn't going anywhere, he is just curious what his standing is currently in terms of the draft. Barring a major injury he can only help himself by returning for his senior season. I definitely don't see him as a qb at the next level but there are questions about his durability that he can answer by returning and staying healthy.

With Barkley, USC is definitely a National Title contender for next year now that he is coming back. He also has set himself up to be the number one qb taken in next years draft as opposed to this coming draft where he would have been the second or third qb taken.

"Anyone who doesn't win their conference championship has no business playing in the national title game"

Oh what a difference 8 years makes...This is current Alabama head coach Nick Saban, spoken in 2003. I wonder if he still believes that, now that Alabama is in the National Championship game despite not winning their conference championship, despite not even winning their division...The hypocrisy of the entire BCS system needs to be exposed. I actually kind of want Alabama to win the rematch, and see the AP, which is NOT part of the BCS, still vote LSU the national champion. A split national championship, between two teams in the same division of the same conference, where they went 1-1 against each other, would be yet another nail in the BCS coffin. I want whatever will give us the most controversy possible, so that the BCS goes down.

I want to say two things.

1. This quote was never said. Saban never once said this and I challenge you to find me video or print proof of this quote. I don't think Alabama should be in the title game (but that's not what we're discussing), but I know for a fact that this was something started on a fan message board.

2. I spent over 5 hours scouring the internet, newspaper databases, and press conference videos...it just wasn't ever said. I can say with 100% certainty, despite what people will quote you, that it was said about Oklahoma, or that it was said in the St. Louis [insert paper here], that Nick Saban never said this once in his life.

I wanted this quote to be true, I spent the time and effort trying to find this quote, I even hit up fellow journalists for any leads as to where this quote could have been found, but not a single person could find the source for this quote. All anybody could say was something like, "he said it about Oklahoma prior to playing them for the title" or "it was a quote from a newspaper," but wheen I questioned them for the source of the newspaper, they couldn't provide it. It's just one of those things making its way around the internet and happens to have a date attached to it thus making it more believable. Unfortunately, there is no proof anywhere other than fan message boards of its existence and, if you search it, all you'll find are message boards of people saying its true, but with no evidence.

Same reason Andrew Luck, Tim Tebow, Sam Bradford, etc. all stayed: you only get so much time in college, and he was born a Trojan fan. He probably saw what Leinart and Bush did of yesteryear and wanted to bring back the glory of those teams. The money will come. He might actually be drafted #1 now instead of #5 or wherever he is picked. While that's not a large difference, especially anymore, he'll get his money and I think genuinely loves USC. It's not some conspiracy theory where Kiffin paid Barkley to stay his final year and give them a shot at the national title. He's just following the footsteps of some lately and wants to spend more time in college. No problem with that. If he doesn't feel ready for the NFL he didn't have to go, so he didn't.

Oh, to be more direct with your question, USC's sanctions are up starting next year.

I'll also address the USC/Barkley issue since I know WAY more about it than anyone on this thread. (not bragging, I just cover these guys for a living).

1. Barkley was ready to go pro. In fact, Barkley was GOING pro. It wasn't until the 11th hour that Barkley had a change of heart and decided that he would listen to everyone that told him to follow his heart. The decision was made to enter the NFL draft and Barkley intended on doing that, but he had a sudden change of heart and stayed for his Senior season.

2. The biggest advice that Barkley received in this process was for him to listen to his heart. Matt is a highly religious person and felt that it was God's plan for him to stay since he began to feel a change of heart. He decided he would "listen to God" and informed Kiffin late at night that he would be returning. I am not advocating religion or spouting off what *I* believe happened, I am telling you what he's gone on record saying and has been reported by USC personnel.

3. "Unfinished Business": The Trojans will return every skill player with the exception of Matt Kalil and Nick Perry. Everyone knew that Perry was gone, but a lot of people felt like Kalil would return if Barkley returned and vice versa. Kalil made the smart move. He's the best offensive lineman in the draft and he's a great special teams player (blocked at least 4 kicks). With Robert Woods, Marqise Lee, and Curtis McNeal (USC's leading rusher) all coming back and losing only Kalil off an offensive line that gave up the fewest sacks in the country, Barkley knew the weapons were in place. Not to mention that 5 star recruit George Farmer will have an entire camp under his belt and shifted to the wide receiver position full-time headed into spring, it's an embarrassment of riches on offense.

You couple that with T.J. McDonald returning to the safety position, the signing of JuCo standout Gerald Bowman (nation's top safety & defensive player at the JuCo level), plus only losing Nick Perry off the defensive line and you have another embarrassment of riches on defense.

USC has added Morgan Breslin, a stud defensive end out of Diablo Valley C.C., and has 6'5", 340lb tackle Jordan Simmons out of Crespi signing with them too. With the 6'6", 375lb Walker expected to move from Right to Left tackle, there won't be much of a drop off protecting Barkley's blind side headed into 2012.

USC's Freshman kicker, Andre Heidari, was good enough to make the Pac-12 first team and has been kicking 60-70 yard field goals in the offseason. (They were unabated and nobody was rushing him, but the distance was there and that's not something you see from a 19 year old kicker). I have video if people doubt me.

USC will be the nation's best team in terms of what's returning, what has already produced that is there, and what's incoming (despite scholarship sanctions). Whether or not they can piece that together on the field next season and make a legitimate run at the title will remain to be seen.

The balance of power has shifted to the North, but you can expect to see a significant drop-off at Stanford. Oregon will lose several play-makers and suffer. Look for Washington to surge with run stoppers signed at the JuCo level and for Coach Leach to get him some offensive stand-outs up at Wazzou.

Outside of USC, only two programs will be returning their coach next season in the Pac-12 South. One of them is Colorado. Enough said.

THAT is why Barkley decided to stay.

Am i wrong to say the VT got screwed in the Sugar Bowl? Was the catch by Danny Coal not a TD or was it good? I personally think VT was robbed tonight. Am i the only one who believes this?

They didn't get screwed, but that has nothing to do with the call. Pac-12 officiating has been atrocious all season long (trust me, I know), but they have been consistently fucking people over.

So, in that sense, Va Tech didn't get screwed. They should have known something would go wrong. They can't point to that one play as the reason they lost, Va Tech has been horrible in bowl games and made many mental mistakes.

3rd and GOAL from the 31? Come on

Am i wrong to say the VT got screwed in the Sugar Bowl? Was the catch by Danny Coal not a TD or was it good? I personally think VT was robbed tonight. Am i the only one who believes this?

It could of gone either way. I would assume that the main evidence used was that the ball moved upon hitting the ground. I thought it surely wouldn't of been overturned after being initially called good. It was another crazy game where a kicker played a huge role in the loss.

Although, I can say that VT's loss doesn't have to be placed solely on the kicker like Stanford's loss was.

I saw the ball move on the catch as did the replay official obviously. Not to mention that there seemed to be some missed calls throughout the game on both sides. In the end it all evens out. If you want to blame someone for the loss then blame Frank Beamer. He made some awful coaching decisions and for whatever reason didn't trust his offense in the 4th quarter.

I saw the ball move on the catch as did the replay official obviously. Not to mention that there seemed to be some missed calls throughout the game on both sides. In the end it all evens out. If you want to blame someone for the loss then blame Frank Beamer. He made some awful coaching decisions and for whatever reason didn't trust his offense in the 4th quarter.

Your right in the long run weather he caught it or not is irrelevant and Beamer makes stupid decisions in bowl games. A fake punt with 7 min left when your defense has been hot all night SERIOUSLY! I just hope VT nor the ACC take a bunch of shit for this loss we know VT and the ACC's record in the BCS is not great but this game is no reason to bash the school or the conference. It was one of the best Virginia Tech games iv been able to see. And to quote SHEED "Both Teams Played Hard" and both should be praised for their performance. So enjoy your teams win big sexy it was a great game!

Now i hope i don't have to eat my words in a couple weeks but there are a couple possible good things to come from this loss. David Wilson and Jayron Hosley our 2 top NFL prospects who are both Juniors are considering going pro after the 2011-2012 season. Maybe this loss with make them want to come back for one more year to raise their draft stock and go out on a good note. If they both come back that makes VT a top 5 team going into next season at least that's how i see it.

I thought it was an incomplete, but not just because it hit the ground...by the time he has total control of the ball, it's already halfway across the out of bounds line. He didn't fully catch it in bounds in the endzone, it appeared to be crossing the line out of it, making it an incomplete pass. That may have contributed to the officials overturning it. Remember, it was initially ruled a Ttouchdown, which means there must have been conclusive evidence required to overturn that decision. Watch/pause the video right before the 31 second mark becomes the 32 second mark for the best view. Coales never had full possession of the ball while in bounds.

I thought it was an incomplete, but not just because it hit the ground...by the time he has total control of the ball, it's already halfway across the out of bounds line. He didn't fully catch it in bounds in the endzone, it appeared to be crossing the line out of it, making it an incomplete pass. That may have contributed to the officials overturning it. Remember, it was initially ruled a Ttouchdown, which means there must have been conclusive evidence required to overturn that decision. Watch/pause the video right before the 31 second mark becomes the 32 second mark for the best view. Coales never had full possession of the ball while in bounds.

Seeing this replay over and over just make's me even more angry on this blown call by the ref it was most definitely a catch!

Touchdown. Watch more closely if you're not convinced.
1) The ball stopped rotating and was not squirting out of his hands. Possession.
2) His elbow hits the ground first, after the possession.  In bound.
3) The ground can not cause a fumble/loss of possession.
4) He retained possession after hitting the ground.
It doesn't matter if the possession happened 1 inch or 1 mile above the ground. If there was no ground below him the possession would have been solid. Not pretty, but there.

Here is an even better video to make my case and yes i am a sore loser you guys already know that anyway.... The 45-50 second mark's shows everyone that a bad call was made!

I think it's time to just accept the loss. Clearly there was enough exclusive evidence to change the professional reviewer's mind. I've watched your videos a couple times, and it still looks like the ball was snugged into his hands by the ground. Which would mean that it is an incomplete pass.

You loss your conference title game to an average team, for the second time in the same season, and were still able to get into a BCS Bowl. Just be happy with that.

I think it's time to just accept the loss. Clearly there was enough exclusive evidence to change the professional reviewer's mind. I've watched your videos a couple times, and it still looks like the ball was snugged into his hands by the ground. Which would mean that it is an incomplete pass.

You loss your conference title game to an average team, for the second time in the same season, and were still able to get into a BCS Bowl. Just be happy with that.

That's a much harsher way of saying what I would say.

In all honesty bro, you got fucked by the Pac-12 refs. Welcome to the club. You should have seen me on the sidelines at the Coliseum during the 3OT game against Stanford. McDonald's hit on Owusu was ANYTHING but targeting. There was also a second left on that clock for Heidari to kick a game winner. The Pac-12 refs are known for making shitty calls, dude.

When it comes to them, just expect they'll get it wrong and your life will be much less stressful when they make a call that, inevitably, fucks your team out of a chance to win.

There are so many other things that Va. Tech could have done to not have even put themselves in that position to begin with. It was a really sloppy game and played by two teams that, in all honesty, didn't deserve to be in a BCS game this year as it was. As Kermit said, the Hokies had the WORST conference championship game of any single participant and they still got an invite. Yes, that includes UCLA and Georgia.

I'm not calling the Hokies a horrible team, but there were several teams that probably deserved that BCS bid over the two Sugar Bowl teams. Kansas State, Boise State, Baylor (MAYBE), just to name a few.

While I thought it was a TD, the bigger issue I have is that they turned it over when it was certainly debatable whether it was a TD or not. Had they called it incomplete and stayed with it, I wouldn't have mind. It was the overturn on evidence that wasn't quite conclusive. He got his elbow in before sliding out and the ball didn't look like it moved, although it may have. Had they called it incomplete on the field and had the play stand I don't think there could've been an argument because you couldn't completely say that the ball stayed in place since you can't quite tell from the angles. Although I guess it shouldn't be that big of a surprise that a bad call was made, due to the UM kicker false starting twice that they let get away with (on the GW and when they did their fake FG).

I didn't care who won the game either way, but those are three questionable calls that I think they either missed (false starts) or just had their eyes play tricks on themselves that had a huge impact on the game.

How about the 4th and 11 Logan Thomas run where the receiver Boykin clearly should have been called for illegal hands to the face on Kovacs? That happened with Michigan up 17-9 and likely would have made everything else you guys are talking about irrelevant. There were also a couple pass interference penalties that could have easily been called on Va Tech in the game. Moral of the story is, calls get missed all the time and in the end they cancel out. No call was so blatantly missed that the outcome of the game was affected (the ot play in the end zone was not a catch). Michigan won, get the fuck over it and move on.

I have no issue with Michigan winning the game. As a matter of fact, I am glad they did. I cannot stand Va. Tech and I love laughing at them this time of year. Virginia Tech blowing it in a BCS game is as close to a sure thing in life as you're going to get.

I'm happy for Big Blue. I just wanted to state that the Pac-12 refs are the worst in the business and nobody, on either side, should be surprised at the amount of blown calls, missed calls, and stupid decisions by those refs. I counted at least 20 times that I took a drink because of a blown or missed call by them. Haha

Those are more judgment calls then anything, though. If a guy moves and it's a false start there's not much for a debate. A PI or hands to the face is up to the referee's judgment because one set may allow more physical play then the others. They may have been penalties, I don't know as I didn't have my full attention to the whole game, but when a kicker takes a step and hesitates before the ball is snapped that should be called every time.

Obviously 1 play didn't effect the entire game and VT has nobody to blame but themselves, but those were some pretty clear miscues that aren't up for debate.

In reality, Michigan needed the win more than V-Tech. It was a big deal that V-Tech was even there, but Michigan has fallen a long way from where they use to be. This is a good step in the right direction for them. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Michigan seriously contending for national titles in three-four years.

Those are more judgment calls then anything, though. If a guy moves and it's a false start there's not much for a debate. A PI or hands to the face is up to the referee's judgment because one set may allow more physical play then the others. They may have been penalties, I don't know as I didn't have my full attention to the whole game, but when a kicker takes a step and hesitates before the ball is snapped that should be called every time.

Hands to the face is not a judgement call when a guys hand is on the defenders face mask and pushes it up almost off his head. It was more blatant then a little step forward a split second before the ball was snapped on a field goal. Not to mention Brendan Gibbons has been great all year and would have no problem going back 5 yards and making a 42 yarder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back