2011 NCAA Football Thread

Big Sexy

Deadly Rap Cannibal
It may be a little early but fuck it. Recruiting is over, most Spring Games have already happened, and with the NFL in the middle of the lockout there is no free agency to talk about. I want to talk football as I'm sure many of you do so let's get this shit cracking. Discuss everything college football in here.

I'm going to start by talking about my favorite team, the University of Michigan. I'm glad that Rich Rod is finally gone and they've gone to a Michigan man in Brady Hoke. Hoke was a defensive coach back when Michigan had dominant defenses and won a National Title. He also brings with him Greg Mattison as his defensive coordinator. Mattison was the D coordinator for the Baltimore Ravens last year so he can coach that D up. The offense is going to be different but the transition isn't an overly major one. They have the personnel necessary to make the transition a smooth one. Denard will be under center a little more this year but they are still designing the offense around him and he should have another outstanding year. They also have a great group of talented backs and wide outs that should keep the offense towards the top of the Big Ten even with the change.

They have a fairly tough schedule but nothing overly difficult. I see 4 or 5 potentially tough games but of those 5 only 1 (against Michigan State) is on the road. With that said I love the new regime and what they've been doing in Spring practices and I'm going to say Michigan finishes with a 9-3 record and gets their program back on track after the Rich Rod detour.

Ahh college football. I don't consider myself a diehard NCAA fan, but I do love me some Penn State football when I have free time on a Saturday. I don't expect much from my Nittany Lions. I think it is likely JoePa and crew will finish around the same mark as last season (7-6). We lost our prime back in Evan Royster, but PSU churns out RB like it is nothing. Silas Reed is likely to handle the full time load and Paterno loves the kid, so I don't expect much of a fallout. Only thing that concerns me is the fact we don't have a set starting QB. Bolden was pretty inconsistent as a freshman for us, but given time I think he can be a solid QB for the Nittany Lions and I'll be pulling for him. Though our best chances of winning now belong to Matt McGloin. The team seemed to play much better once McGloin took over at the QB position and it wouldn't surprise me to see him start the season under center. Either way I'll be excited to see the new bunch of talent we got here in Happy Valley. Joe Pa usually doesn't disappoint, so I expect 7-8 wins this year and yet another bowl appearance.

Big Sexy, GO BLUE!

DEFENSE
Have you noticed how many linebackers Greg Mattison has already convinced to come to Michigan? Its a marked contrast from RichRod/Greg Robinson, isn't it? Every week it seems MLive is reporting that another star linebacker is committing, as opposed to the last three years, where Michigan would recruit one or two, and that's it. RichRod left the defensive cupboards pretty barren, but Mattison is filling them back up quickly...

Also thrilled to death that the 3-3-5 is GONE. I can't believe how long RichRod wanted to maintain this silly defense in the Big Ten. When you play in a league known for rushing attacks, why in the hell would you take away a DL or LB in exchange for a DB, reducing the overall size of your defense, especially when it was your biggest defensive weakness? That 3-3-5 shit might work in the Big East, but the Big Ten needs a 3-4 or 4-3, period. You cannot win in the Big Ten with a 3-3-5.

Michigan still has glaring holes on defense, though. We will be better, but that seems a given, because we certainly couldn't be any worse than we were. I do trust Greg Mattison more than I do Greg Robinson though, the guy has a proven track record of success. If Michigan's defense is only upgraded from terrible to average, it will be a marked improvement. Overall, I think the defense should be noticeably better than last year.

OFFENSE
Not worried too much about Denard under center, its what he did in high school. So while it may take a little bit to get back into it, he isn't exactly starting from scratch. He has been there, done that. Ultimately, I think the move under center is probably the best thing that could have happened to him. He will still get the freedom to take off and run when warranted, except now he will have TEs and FBs blocking for him instead of a 3rd or 4th WR who has never had to block in his life. That alone should keep him healthier. His rushing numbers will almost certainly go down, but the team rushing should go up, as it will feature the actual real RBs more. Denard is going to be more like a Steve Young...a QB who scrambles when needed, but not the whole F'n show. I look forward to seeing Denard not miss time in every game.

As I mentioned, Al Borges, the Offensive Coordinator will involve the actual Running Backs more than RichRod did. That is a good thing. The one thing every Michigan team that was a part of that 30+ year bowl streak had was a consistent running game. Each team didn't necessarily have a single feature back like Wheatley, Biakabatuka or Hart, but as a team, they were able to run behind big to massive offensive lines. Overall, I expect the offense to probably get a few less yards than last year, but we should see a drastic improvement in time of possession, as Michigan will keep the ball longer. That will also keep the other team's offense off the field longer, which will also help the defense.

SPECIAL TEAMS
This is by far my biggest concern. I think we should be fine at returning punts and kicks, but the issue, as it was last year, will be kicking. I don't know what went on last year, if RichRod just didn't care about the kicking game or not, but their field goal kicking was atrocious. It isn't as if Michigan didn't recruit kickers, they were all fairly highly touted out of high school. Once upon a time, these guys knew how to kick a football between the goalposts. Was it a just a confidence/snowball kind of thing? I don't know. I want to hope that they become respectable, but until I see them make some field goals in an actual game, I am going to be skeptical.

All in all, I think Michigan will probably duplicate the 7-5 regular season record from last year, or maybe go 8-4, as they adjust to the pro style offense, but I expect that we will all have more confidence about the team overall, based on the way they are winning. I expect to come away from next season more confident that the team is headed in the right direction.

THIS IS MICHIGAN!

HOKIE HOKIE HOKIE HI TECH TECH VPI! I am a DIE HARD! Virginia Tech Hokies fan. And i just want to let everyone know not to sleep on the ACC this year because we have alot of good teams in both divisions.

Top 2 Teams Both Divisions

Coastal: Virginia Tech & UNC*

Atlantic: FSU & Clemson

* It was a close race between UNC and miami but the U has a new coach so i went with UNC.

Virginia Tech is gonna still be very good this year even though Tyrod Taylor graduated and Ryan Williams and Darren Evens turned pro. David Wilson is returning as the explosive starting Tail back who can run circles around Defenses. Most of the Receivers are returning aswell as 4 Offensive linemen. Bud Fosters defense will be tough this year returning 7 starters including All American DB Jayron Hosley.The only concern on defense was the D-line but in the spring all the new starters played well above expectation and took away all the coaches worries about the D-line. And last but defiantly not least The X-factor for Virginia Tech this season, Tyrod Taylors successor who had a magnificent spring The 6'4 250 pound physically comparable to NCAA Champ, Hiesman Trophy winner, #1 overall pick Cam Newton.... #3 QB Logan Thomas.

Now if Logan Thomas plays anywhere near the level Cam Newton played coupled with most all of Tyrod Taylors offensive weapons returning and Bud Fosters experienced and tough Defense with VT's very Intelligent and experienced coaching staff & the very weak schedule:

Sat., Sep 3, 2011 Appalachian State Lane Stadium

Sat., Sep 10, 2011 at East Carolina Greenville, N.C.

Sat., Sep 17, 2011 Arkansas State Lane Stadium

Sat., Sep 24, 2011 at Marshall Huntington, W.Va.

Sat., Oct 1, 2011 Clemson Lane Stadium

Sat., Oct 8, 2011 Miami Lane Stadium

Sat., Oct 15, 2011 at Wake Forest Winston-Salem, N.C.

Sat., Oct 22, 2011 Boston College Lane Stadium

Sat., Oct 29, 2011 at Duke Durham, N.C.

Thu., Nov 10, 2011 at Georgia Tech Atlanta, Ga.

Thu., Nov 17, 2011 North Carolina Lane Stadium

Sat., Nov 26, 2011 at Virginia Charlottesville, Va.

ACC Championship
Sat., Dec 3, 2011 Atlantic vs. Coastal

There is a chance VT could play in the BCS National Championship Game

I'm going to give my pre season top 5 to generate some discussion in here.

1. Oregon- They return the core of their team including Heisman finalist LaMichael James. Darron Thomas is back under center with a year of experience and he should be greatly improved. The Pac 10 will be tough next season but Oregon is more then capable of making it out undefeated.

2. LSU- They are also returning a ton of starters from last season. Patrick Peterson is gone but they still have a dominant defense. Offensively it all lies on the shoulders of Jordan Jefferson. If he plays to his potential they will be tough to beat. The only problem is that he has yet to do that in his career.

3. Oklahoma- Landry Jones is back and another year better. They lost Demarco Murray but you better believe they have more then enough talent in the backfield to help replace him. The Big 12 isn't going to be very strong next season and Oklahoma has a favorable non conference schedule. The game at Florida State early in the season is big for them.

4. Stanford- Jim Harbaugh may be gone but Andrew Luck is not. He will be the favorite for the Heisman Trophy and he is more then capable of leading this team to a championship. Again, the Pac 10 is tough but Stanford has a great team.

5. Boise State- Kellen Moore is back and Boise State will be looking to prove the doubters wrong after last years tough loss to Nevada. They have a little tougher schedule this year moving to the MWC but their toughest conference games against Nevada, Air Force, and TCU are all at home. Week 1 at Georgia will more then likely be their toughest test of the season.

Sleeping on Bama, brother. 9 of 11 on defense 4 out of 5 on the offensive line, crushed the Big Ten co champs in their bowl game, and have a heisman canidate running back. All of their hard games are at home.

Sure they have a untested QB, but he is a RS sophmore, which is more than enough time for him to have assimilated into the offense.

Im thinking we end up with Bama against either Oregon or Oklahoma in the national title game.

It wont be LSU AND Oregon, because they play each other week one. While Oregon is my favorite team, the offense didnt look good in the spring game, and the offensive line is being entirely rebuilt. Worrisome.

Sleeping on Bama, brother. 9 of 11 on defense 4 out of 5 on the offensive line, crushed the Big Ten co champs in their bowl game, and have a heisman canidate running back. All of their hard games are at home.

Sure they have a untested QB, but he is a RS sophmore, which is more than enough time for him to have assimilated into the offense.

Im thinking we end up with Bama against either Oregon or Oklahoma in the national title game.

It wont be LSU AND Oregon, because they play each other week one. While Oregon is my favorite team, the offense didnt look good in the spring game, and the offensive line is being entirely rebuilt. Worrisome.

I went back and forth with Bama. They did crush the Big Ten co champs but that MSU team overachieved like a motherfucker last year and were no where near as good as their record indicated. I think losing the leadership of a Greg McElroy also can't be understated.

LSU vs Oregon should be a tremendous game to start the season and I had them at one and two because I think the winner of that game has a great chance to run the table.

Sadly, I do not have much to report on my Trojans other than the NCAA upheld our punishment and nothing we do matters. That being said, it actually makes watching college football less stressful for me.

Some odds and ends about USC worth noting.

WR Brice Butler has decided that he will not transfer and has rejoined the team. Woods, Prater, Flournoy, Butler, Carswell, and Ambles ought to make a potent receiving corps for Barkley.

Big Sexy & Michigan reject Tate Forcier has, APPARENTLY, decided that USC is on his short list. I have no fucking clue why on earth he thinks he would succeed in our system, but he does. We already have 8 QB's on the depth chart and only one of them is a Senior. He's a redshirt senior at that. I'm trying to find out more about this story with my connections and will, undoubtedly, bitch about them here if he actually joins our squad.

Oddly enough, it was defense that dominated our Spring game which is promising since I'm pretty sure they're STILL picking up Personal Foul off the field at the Coliseum right now. Year two under Orgeron and Monte so I'm expecting vast improvements on the defensive side of the ball.

Also, just a little caveat, I sincerely hope Kiffster has gotten that "let's go for two everytime" bug removed. That got supremely annoying and potentially cost us some of our closer games.

Games I'm excited for are:

9-3: Minnesota (I love playing Big 10)

9-10: Utah (our first game in the Pac-12 and I like Utah as an addition)

10-13: Cal (blah game, but we're playing it at AT&T Park, pretty cool)

11-5: Colorado (First game against this new addition as well)

11-26: UCLA (always fun to watch Pistol Rick fail)

Big Sexy & Michigan reject Tate Forcier has, APPARENTLY, decided that USC is on his short list. I have no fucking clue why on earth he thinks he would succeed in our system, but he does. We already have 8 QB's on the depth chart and only one of them is a Senior. He's a redshirt senior at that. I'm trying to find out more about this story with my connections and will, undoubtedly, bitch about them here if he actually joins our squad.

USC has already said they aren't interested. Forcier has turned into quite the fuck up as of late. He has interest in Auburn as well but I doubt they want anything to do with him. I expect him to eventually go to a smaller school where he can play right away (once eligible). Montana, San Diego, and SD State are all on his short list.

Tate is full of shit. He claims that he isn't going to Miami because it was too far away for his parents to be able to watch him play, and then says he is still considering Auburn? Because Alabama is soooo much fucking closer to California than Florida is? REALLY?

Every stupid little thing that comes out make me thank god that Brady Hoke didn't try to hard to convince Tate to stay. The kid is already turning into a colossal fuck-up. Better he is someone else's problem rather than Michigan's. As a diehard Wolverine, I completely wash my hands of Tate Forcier.

USC has already said they aren't interested. Forcier has turned into quite the fuck up as of late. He has interest in Auburn as well but I doubt they want anything to do with him. I expect him to eventually go to a smaller school where he can play right away (once eligible). Montana, San Diego, and SD State are all on his short list.

I didn't figure we would be interested, but his announcement came amidst the NCAA's ruling on USC's appeal so it got lost in the white noise.

It makes little to no sense that we would be interested. John Manoogian is the smallest QB we have on our depth chart at 6' 215 and he's never even made it past the practice squad. I cannot fathom what we would do with someone that is 30 lbs lighter at the same height.

Scroggins is the projected starter after Barkley leaves, which may or may not be after this year, and even though Kiffin has speculated that he might switch to the spread option upon the departure of Barkley, I cannot see how Forcier would have helped us do anything.

No love for the Gators?

Listen, i know theyre coming off a bleak season, and a brand new coach. But most of these players now have a year under their belts. Secondly, Muschamp knows what hes doing. Yes, its first year as head coach, but he learned the past few season from Mac Brown, and was even in line to fill his shoes when he stepped down. He brings a toughness, and a sound knowledge of how to run a good program, and i think they could be a top 5 program this season.

Here is some more info on VT's X-FACTOR...

Logan Thomas #3 QB Virginia Tech:

He had an outstanding spring, and quarterbacks coach Mike O’Cain said Thomas was ahead of schedule. His teammates raved about how far he has come, and his leadership on and off the field. Overall, the Hokies couldn’t have asked for a better transition after losing the winningest quarterback in school history.

Wisconsin has become the favorite in the Big Ten this year. Many people thought they may struggle with a young, unproven qb leading the way but they now have Russell Wilson. Wilson was released from his athletic scholarship at NC State because it looked as if he was going to pursue a career in baseball. That pursuit was short lived and he became the qb that every team in need wanted. He had his choice between Auburn and Wisconsin but eventually decided to go with the Badgers.

He will have to compete for the job but he'll have no trouble winning it. He has been very good his last few years at NC State and in Wisconsin he will have better talent around him on both sides of the ball then he ever did with the Wolfpack. The running tandem of James White and Montee Ball will ease the pressure Wilson gets and allow him to have the best season of his college career. Wilson is a dynamic dual threat qb which is something Wisconsin is not used to having.

The Badgers went 11-2 last year (11-1 in the regular season) and if Wilson plays at his best I don't see any reason they can't run the table and play for the National Title. With this pick up Wisconsin moves into my preseason top 5 and possibly top 3.

USC running back Marc Tyler is an idiot. He was already on thin ice with the team for alcohol related incidents and talking to a TMZ camera noticeably drunk didn't help things. On top of that he joked about getting paid to play at USC. It was hilarious to me but obviously Lane Kiffin didn't approve and he suspended Tyler. Tyler is already 23 and although he has NFL talent, situations like these are going to make sure he doesn't go very far after he's done at USC.

Everybody is sleeping on The Ohio State University. Even though wisc and neb look like real contenders, we still have as much talent as anyone. We still have all that talent from previous recruiting years. Braxton Miller will have a strong rushing attack to take the pressure of him in the passing game and a strong defense and special teams to give him a short field position. Don't be suprised if we lose three or less games this year. And the us against the world mentality will only help.

Everybody is sleeping on The Ohio State University. Even though wisc and neb look like real contenders, we still have as much talent as anyone. We still have all that talent from previous recruiting years. Braxton Miller will have a strong rushing attack to take the pressure of him in the passing game and a strong defense and special teams to give him a short field position. Don't be suprised if we lose three or less games this year. And the us against the world mentality will only help.

Let's see. OSU lost their head coach, 7 of their defensive starters, and 4 of their offensive starters including their qb of three years Terrell Pryor. On top of that they have another 3 offensive starters suspended for the first 5 games of the season. That includes their starting running back, number two receiver, and All Big Ten offensive tackle.

If they lose less then 4 games I will be shocked and I could see them losing as many as 6 games. They have tough road games against Miami (with the suspensions still going on), Nebraska, and Michigan. They also have tough home games against MSU (with the suspensions still going on), Wisconsin, and Penn State.

Losing tressel hurts but fickell is an in house coach who will keep the current system in place. Plus we added mike vrabel as lb coach. Even though we lost a ton of starters the backups received almost as much playing time as our starters. That's always been a staple of tressels coaching stratagy so we can reload quickly each year. We never have a down defensive year cause the plying time is almost even between starters and backups. On offense we're so deep at rb it doesn't matter that we lost our starter. In fact the backups our just as talented. Losing posey hurts miller a lil but were not a passing team anyway. If the oline can gel, we can win a lot of low scoring games.

UNC has fired Butch Davis as their head coach. The UNC football program has been in a lot of hot water the last couple years and they decided to take a page out of OSU's book and get rid of the head coach. Davis helped turn that football program around but there's only so much leniency that can be given. With the NCAA probing that football program, UNC made the right move.

I suppose it was the right move, and not suprising...but oddly timed though, really. Also, they have zero proof he knew anything, and the players were being sneakers (I mean dishonest, not shoes)...Shitty situation all over, feels botched to me.

Anyways, I have two crazy scenarios for you....Sayyy, Texas goes for a 5 to 7 win season again...What could Texas do with Butch Davis as their head coach? Just imagine that guy recruiting Texas for that school. Holy bejesus.

Also, do not let sleeping Dawgs lie....Bulldawgs, that is. Mark Richt has been on the hot seat for about my whole life it seems....What happens if UGA loses to Boise State opening weekend? What if they are toothless yet again?

Another potentiall epic situation....Butch Davis recruiting for and coaching Georgia, would be fucking massive.

One more....UCLA? Has the Neuheisal love died out already? If Davis is available and interested, does that kill it the rest of the way Davis recruiting the west coast at UCLA would be fucking immense as well. With USC experiencing its tough times, there is no more fair time to try and pluck all star recruits from Troy in California.

Three huge programs, with extremely rich recruiting areas, and deep pockets.

I dont look at this for the impact on this year, the Carolina would-be dynasty has already been destroyed before it got started, and Davis hasnt been uncovered as some scumbucket. I look at this for its potential impact, the places he may wind up next year.

Fuck it I'm sober enough to respond. Butch Davis will certainly get another job because college football programs want to win. I'm not sure it will come at a major college right away but if it does it will be UCLA over Georiga. Georiga has had a couple off years but nothing overly bad and Richt has at least two more years to work with that.

Neuheisel I don't think will last much longer. He hasn't been very successful at UCLA and they aren't exactly the most patient program. While they may shy away from Davis he is the type of coach they need. He is a great recruiter and the players want to play for him. UCLA would be a great spot to get top recruits and he could really take that program back to greatness.

It may be tough for him to get a big time job in the next couple of years but if he does he will certainly be successful.

I'm not gonna hide the fact last year that my MSU Spartans overachieved (albiet slightly) last season. I thought this was a 9 win team last year, and they got two extra thanks to some special teams heroics (vs. ND, NW, and Purdue) and just some all around great played/coached games (vs. UM, UW, PSU). This was a great team last year and I sincerely hope that all the experiences they had last year (both good and bad) will help this team string two straight 9+ win seasons (they've been hot and cold every year, although they've still been more consistent). I don't care what anyone wants to say, they were Big 10 champs, just like Wisconsin and OSU and deserved all of the recognition and accolades they got. They were a great team, and anyone that says otherwise is just wrong. But if they can close out with a win in the bowl game that'd be great.

As for the schedule, this is how I see it going down, month by month:

vs. Youngstown St
vs. Florida Atlantic
@ Notre Dame
vs. Central Michigan

3 gimmes mixed in with a toss up against ND. Last year MSU had the homefield advantage and ND was in year one of Brian Kelly era. I expect ND to make significant strides next season and, with how they finished last year, I sadly expect a loss early on. 3-1 to start out non-conference play.

@ Ohio State
vs. Michigan
vs. Wisconsin
@ Nebraska

Our toughest stretch of the season by far. OSU will be w/o their 4 starters, but will still give MSU problems due to the depth they have. First conference game for Luke Fickell, though, and MSU could really use a big road win here, since that has been one of their problems under Coach Dantonio (winning games on the road against top competition). After a bye I don't see a problem with Michigan because UM has the pressure on them to end the streak (3 in a row) and are experiencing a turnover with Brady Hoke. Plus, Denard wasn't nearly as dynamic in Big 10 play, and this game is at State. Make it 4 in a row against little brother (I know you UM fans will enjoy that ;)).

These last two games will be against the two favorites in the Big 10, although MSU did take care of UW last year (and are home again against them this season for some reason). I don't see them getting swept in these two, but again, I can see the road game against NU being the downer. Plus I don't think the guys will wanna disappoint the home crowd at night on homecoming. Split there, with the loss coming to NU. 3-1 (6-2 overall).

vs. Minnesota
@ Iowa
vs. Indiana
@ Northwestern

The back end of the schedule isn't nearly as rough as the front end of Big 10 play, although we're back at Iowa and NW for the 2nd year in a row (again I don't understand why). Minny and Indiana will still be bad, with both experiencing coaching changes. The other two games, though, I do see as toss ups. Iowa took it to us last year (although it did help for them that we hadn't had our bye yet. no excuses though. we were awful that day) and NW had us until some late heroics. I don't wanna look like a total homer, but you can't underestimate what senior leadership will do for a team. If the Spartans are 4-1 in conference play coming into Iowa I think Kirk will step up and make sure his guys remember the whooping they got last year and how they have to reverse it this year. I could see them conquering a demon and topping Iowa (since the year before last they beat us in a heartbreaker and stomped on us last year) should we be in the position I expect us to be in. NW though I believe is a very scary team with Persa at the helm (who I do think is a top 3 QB in the Big 10). They're always a scrappy bunch and I do appreciate the program Fitzgerald has put together, but we do seem to have their number often (3 in a row, with the only loss to them in Dantonio era being in OT). I'll give us the win, because I am a homer like that and (assuming the scenario) I see this team stepping up if we have a chance to make it to the Big 10 title game. Last year we had to beat PSU to share the Big 10 and we did that. No reason we couldn't do it again.

So yeah 10-2 (7-1 in Big 10) would be another great season, obviously. Would it be enough to make a BCS game, doubtful, unless we made the Big 10 Championship game and won it (which would make me dance around in circles forever). However, we'd earn another New Years Day bowl, more then likely against an SEC team, which has been another hurdle for us to overcome.

I don't think these are OTT expectations, either. This team proved last year they could make that next step and get some big wins. Now they'll have to do it with some expectations on hand (preseason ranking, possible favorite in our division according to some). If they meet these predictions I have, not only will this be another memorable team, but these guys will be a real force to be reckoned with (and could take OSU's spot for a bit with the possible problems they may be receiving although they're clear atm). This team excites me. I knew last years team had talent to get 9-10 wins but had to figure out how to close out games late. Last year they did a great job in doing that. This year, they have to keep it going and show last year wasn't a fluke. These are all of Dantonio's recruits (as was last year), and the system he has is looking great. Double digit wins for two straight years? Oh hell yes.

So my favorite time of the year is approaching and my Pitt Panthers are picked to finish second in the Big East, which i think is laughable.

They still have a lot of their 2010 defense minus a few defensive lineman. But that is no big deal. Pitt didn't really lose any recruit from the Wannstedt era that is still eligible to play. So, there will be a new defensive lineman ready to lock and load.

The team has a lot of experience. Especially defensively. Yes, they do lose 6 players on offense but that really isn't a big deal. Defense wins championships and a lot of recruits are Wannstedt recruits with now different coaching.

Which brings me to the next thing, coaching. I was always and will always be a Wannstedt supporter. Because he made strides as a program and he never guaranteed anything. That was always blown up by the media. But now it's a new era and Graham and co are ready to lock and load. Our new coaching staff has improved and we now have one thing we didn't last year which is speed. Graham insists we will win on character and I can agree. Why? Because discipline is a key part to any game. I remember last year watching Pitt do something stupid in crucial situations. Like getting penalized or being careless with the ball. Graham has a no swearing policy, no earring and bandana policy. Which I believe is great. Why? Because not only are they epresenting a school, they are representing themselves and a city. Last year, Wannstedt coached football players, not a team. Now they are a unit and they are going to be a disciplined bunch.

The whole Dana Holgorsen at WVU is going to take its toll. He can not stay out of the news and that program has been in disarray since his hiring as offensive coordinator. Everyone knew Stewart was going to be out as coach but every one didn't know when. His resignation was bad and I just don't believe the program will bounce back right away. Besides, they haven't been recruiting that well and Pitt has.

With our new coaches and system I can see Pitt winning the Big East. Graham coaches football the right way. Graham has Johnny Majors qualities. We're just simply going to be better than you attitude. Graham has a plan and is going to stick to it. Which is why I think Pitt will win the Big East. then go and get killed in a bcs bowl game

Here is the USA Today's pre season Top 25:

1 Oklahoma
2 Alabama
3 Oregon
4 LSU
5 Florida State
6 Stanford
7 Boise State
8 Oklahoma State
9 Texas A&M
10 Wisconsin
11 Nebraska
12 South Carolina
13 Virginia Tech
14 Arkansas
15 TCU
16 Ohio State
17 Michigan State
18 Notre Dame
19 Auburn
20 Mississippi State
21 Missouri
22 Georgia
23 Florida
24 Texas
25 Penn State

This is my top 5 from earlier in the thread:
I'm going to give my pre season top 5 to generate some discussion in here.

1. Oregon- They return the core of their team including Heisman finalist LaMichael James. Darron Thomas is back under center with a year of experience and he should be greatly improved. The Pac 10 will be tough next season but Oregon is more then capable of making it out undefeated.

2. LSU- They are also returning a ton of starters from last season. Patrick Peterson is gone but they still have a dominant defense. Offensively it all lies on the shoulders of Jordan Jefferson. If he plays to his potential they will be tough to beat. The only problem is that he has yet to do that in his career.

3. Oklahoma- Landry Jones is back and another year better. They lost Demarco Murray but you better believe they have more then enough talent in the backfield to help replace him. The Big 12 isn't going to be very strong next season and Oklahoma has a favorable non conference schedule. The game at Florida State early in the season is big for them.

4. Stanford- Jim Harbaugh may be gone but Andrew Luck is not. He will be the favorite for the Heisman Trophy and he is more then capable of leading this team to a championship. Again, the Pac 10 is tough but Stanford has a great team.

5. Boise State- Kellen Moore is back and Boise State will be looking to prove the doubters wrong after last years tough loss to Nevada. They have a little tougher schedule this year moving to the MWC but their toughest conference games against Nevada, Air Force, and TCU are all at home. Week 1 at Georgia will more then likely be their toughest test of the season.

My one and two are at three and four in the USA Today. My number three is at number one and my four and five are at six and seven. The two teams I don't believe belong in the USA Today's top 5 are Alabama and Florida State. Alabama has a lot of talent returning on defense but their offense lost a lot of fire power. Greg McElroy is gone at qb, Mark Ingram is gone at running back, and Julio Jones is gone at receiver. Trent Richardson will be relied on heavily and while I think Bama is top 10, they are not top 5 and certainly not two. FSU has a lot of talent returning but the loss of Christian Ponder at qb hurts. EJ Manuel is a very talented replacement but he is still somewhat unproven. Again, I see FSU as more of a top 10 team, not top 5.

Because I have time, I may as well do my (way too early) top 25.

1. Alabama
2. Oregon
3. Oklahoma
4. Florida State
5. Boise State

Yes, Alabama has a QB issue that hasn't been solved yet, but this team just reloads every year and they know that last years 10-4 was a disappointment. Coming off a national championship I think they relaxed a bit and that bit them on all 3 of their losses. If they bring the output they had against MSU in the Capital One Bowl they're gonna be a tough team to stop. Oregon gets some love because of their return of both James and Thomas, two of their keys to running this offense. Plus, they've made BCS bowls in consecutive years and Chip Kelly is really moving up my list of best coaches. OU has a lot of offensive firepower of their own and should be the top dog in a slightly down Big 10 12. Landry Jones is a Heisman contender and their defense does have some nice talent as well. I'm drinking into some of that FSU hype, yes, even after they lose their 1st round QB and are replacing him with a guy that has more INTs then TDs. Their defense though is stacked with that southern talent and Jimbo Fisher should be in prime position to help his team jump back to the elite in 2011. Boise State still has the games top 5 coach and top 5 QB, along with a strong running game lead by Doug Martin. Yes, Titus Young and Austin Pettis are gone, but Boise always finds a way to plug people in and produce. If they get past Georgia week one (which I think they will) there's no real threat until TCU late in the season, and that's at Boise. Almost a lock for 12 wins, at least.

6. LSU
7. Stanford
8. Oklahoma State
9. Nebraska
10. Wisconsin

I'm not sold on LSU as much as most people for two reasons: Jordan Jefferson is their QB and he's very Jekkyl and Hyde, and Les Miles' luck is bound to catch up to him sometime soon. He had a few games last year where he somehow pulled it out with gutsy calls or luck (vs. Tennessee, Florida, and Bama come to mind). Should Jefferson play like he did in the Cotton Bowl they have as good of chance as anyone, but their schedule isn't very favorable either, especially for an SEC school (Oregon, Miss. St, and WVU all in September). Stanford is replacing Jim Harbaugh, but they do bring back the clear-cut best QB prospect with Andrew Luck and some talent on their line (I know they have at least one top-level guard). I don't see them being only a one loss team, but they will always have a chance with Luck behind center. OSU will miss the play calling of Dana Holgorsen (who's jumped over to WVU) but Brandon Weeden and Justin Blackmon are returning, which gives them possibly the strongest QB-WR tandem in the nation. Their season will more likely then not come down to the Bedlam Bowl against OU, and this year its at OSU. The final two teams here are the top contenders in the Big 10, both boasting strong defenses and good coaching. Nebraska may have to face a little bit of an adjustment going from the spread happy offenses of the Big 12 to the pro-style, between the tackles offenses of the Big 10, but their defense has some NFL talent, lead by Jared Crick. Wisconsin has a nasty two headed monster at RB with Montee Ball and James White, and also bring back top WR Nick Toon who'll be a nice weapon for Russell Wilson, the transfer QB from NC St. Their matchup October 1st could be a preview of the title game in Indianapolis.

11. Texas A&M
12. South Carolina
13. Virginia Tech
14. Arkansas
15. TCU

A&M looks like they can be the other horse in the Oklahoma lead Big 12 with returning starter Ryan Tannehil at QB. They will miss the #2 pick in the NFL Draft Von Miller, but return 19 of their 22 starters on a team that went 9-4 last year and is a year older. South Carolina is coming off a divisional championship and have possibly the best RB and WR of the deep SEC with Marcus Lattimore and Alshon Jeffrey. However, Stephen Garcia is still their QB and is a big question mark for them, but they do get 5 games against the SEC East. VT is without Tyrod Taylor now because of graduation, but Logan Thomas is a big guy at QB and has some wheels. They might experience a slight dropoff in the beginning, but this guy could win them some games as well. They need to jump off to a strong start though, and they should be prime to do so with a September full of delicious cupcakes (App. St., ECU, Ark. St, and Marshall). to get Thomas' legs under him. Arkansas will miss Ryan Mallett, and Knile Davis is now out for the season with the ankle injury, but Tyler Wilson did look good in his limited time at QB last season. They return all 3 top receivers, but their line may have problems because they're only returning one of their 5 starters. Still the offense should be dynamic yet again, and the defense now has Petrino's guys in their upperclassmen years. TCU will try to come back from their most impressive season ever with another MWC championship, but will have to replace Andy Dalton. Their secondary lost 3 starters, but their front 6 lead by LBs Tank Carder and Tanner Brock will hide some of those flaws. With a soft schedule 10 or 11 wins doesn't seem out of reach.

16. Michigan State
17. Missouri
18. Ohio State
19. Notre Dame
20. West Virginia

I've already said my piece on MSU earlier, but I'll say this team has the senior leadership at QB and is the biggest threat to Nebraska in the Legends division. I think they can repeat 10 wins again, although they better not rely on pulling games out of their asses as much this season (ND, Purdue, NW all spring to mind). I do think they still have a lot to prove, especially after their two blowout losses in an otherwise impressive season. Missouri will be without their signal caller, but they have achieved a lot of consistency under Gary Pinkel, with 40 wins in 4 years. They return all but 2 starters on offense and most of their front 7, but their secondary will have to step up with 2 sophomores likely starting. Ohio State has possibly the most talent in the Big 10, but their QB situation is either a safe but boring Joe Bauserman or an exciting but inexperienced Braxton Miller. Add that to a new coach in Luke Fickell, this may be the first time in a while that they aren't the consensus favorites in the Big 10. Their defense still will be strong, but it will be interesting to see how safe they play offensively, especially early in the Big 10 season. ND seems to be trending upward in their 2nd year under Brian Kelly, ending the season with a nice winning streak and their 2nd straight bowl win, but it will be interesting to see if they fall to the past problems of ND in falling back after an impressive 1st season like they have done under Willingham and Weis. Kelly is a better coach then either of them, but they will have to conquer some 'demons' if you will. West Virginia appears to be the consensus #1 team in the Big East, even with the coaching change in the middle of the summer. Dana Holgorsen should have some fun with Geno Smith at QB and should they pull off an upset (which I think is very much possible since it's at home and I have real concerns on LSU). They have to replace 7 of their starters on defense which was one of the best in all of the nation last season but their first two games will be tuneups against lower competition before going to Maryland.

21. Mississippi State
22. Georgia
23. Arizona State
24. USC
25. Northwestern

Miss. State returns 15 of their 22 starters from a team that was in the top 50 in scoring defense and top 25 in scoring offense and were a pleasant surprise in Dan Mullens second year there with a 9 win season. They were competitive in all but two games last season, both on the road against LSU and Alabama, arguably the two most talented teams in the SEC. Georgia did only go 6-7 last year, but they underachieved heavily. Mark Richt has to feel his seat getting hotter, but he does have the best QB in the SEC with Aaron Murray. I do think they will drop their opener against Boise but they should be the lead contender to South Carolina in a rather weak SEC East (compared to the west, which i have 5 of their 6 teams ranked). Arizona State has been getting hype even though they were also only a 6-6 team last year, but now Dennis Erickson has all his guys again and if he drops games to also rans like Cal and Oregon State this season he will be canned. USC has an NFL prospect of their own at QB with Matt Barkley, and even though they can't go bowling, Lane Kiffins team should do better in closing out games this season (3 of their 5 losses were by 4 points or less). As with other guys, year 2 of coaches nowadays is when people expect their teams to produce, especially at a premier program like USC. And NW completes my top 25, and is a complete sleeper in the Big 10. Dan Persa can will this team to 9 or 10 wins himself, and Pat Fitzgerald has brought this program a level of consistency that they haven't seen in a while. They will go as far as Persa can take them, which could be far considering he's the most dynamic and important player to his team in the Big 10.

Ugh, that was a mouthful. I'm sure now that I've predicted this half of these teams will completely underachieve and a bunch of unknowns will creep up here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back