Frontman of the WZ Band!!
The Wrestlezone Movie Tournament, 2000's Bracket;
Round 3, Match 2

The Departed

81836-large.jpg

vs.

Memento

10084267A~Memento-Posters.jpg

I love Christopher Nolan, but "Memento" is shit, in my opinion, while "The Departed" is one of the greatest movies ever made. I know a lot of people here won't share that same opinion, but I personally don't see one flaw in "The Departed". I've watched it, in one way or another, at least 30 fucking times now and I have yet to get sick of it. The drama, intensity, comedy, and especially the acting are far superior to everything in "Memento", once again, in my opinion.

So, yeah, "The Departed" easily gets my vote here and there aren't many films in this tournament I will vote over it.

I disagree about Memento being "shit". It's very well done and a good film, but I do agree "The Departed" is better. It's a very good gangster type movie which is rare these days. I thought DiCaprio Damon, Walhburg, Nicholson and basically the whole cast were great and believeable. Scorses is a very good director and this movie is a very good vehicle for him and it got him his first directing Oscar. More than that I found the Departed to be very enjoyable to watch where Memento made me think to much and was confusing out times.

I don't think Memento was confusing to watch. Maybe if you had no idea what you were watching when you sat down, it might be hard. But once you understand the structure if the film, it's easier to watch. In fact, that's just what Nolan wants you to, is just watch the story unfold. And he does a good job, too, and throws in a twist that I, personally, did not see coming.

Memento wasn't confusing or shit, that was the purpose of the movie. It was innovative and a unique way to tell the story. That being said, I can't in good conscious vote for Memento over the Departed. The Departed, considering the movies left in this, maybe the best movie of this decade. Now I'm not saying it's a great film by any means, I think it speaks to the low quality of movies this decade has made. The Departed is a good film, with a fantastic cast.

I think The Departed is heavily overrated. OK, so it's Martin Scorcese, doesn't mean you have to suck his cock. Didn't think any of the characters were realised, the story was poor, the execution just as poor. I think Leo Di Caprio is pretty overrated in anything he does.

Memento, however, is a gem from an inconsistent director - yes, The Dark Knight's own Christopher Nolan. It's not an all-time classic and it's not as good as people say it is. It's still better than The Departed though. Why? Because it does something new and it does it well, instead of half-heartedly retreading old and repetitive material.

The departed is a great film, but I missed my chance to vote for it. It did not matter, as it still won. I loved it because it was one of those movies that while you watched it, you can tell that it is a fantastic movie. It is like watching a legendary movie from the 1970's. Leonardo Di Caprio proved again that he is an actor that has blossomed into a bankable star. I will though, be shocked if the Departed makes it much farther then this round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back