2000's Bracket Round 1 Match 12- 12)Kill Bill,Vol. 2 vs. 21)The Passion of the Christ

Which is the better movie?

• Kill Bill Vol. 2

• The Passion of the Christ

Results are only viewable after voting.

Papa Shango

Frontman of the WZ Band!!
The Wrestlezone Movie Tournament, 2000's Bracket;
Round 1, Match 12

Kill Bill, Vol. 2
KillBillVol2-photo_03.jpg

vs.

The Passion of the Christ

1514__passion_l.jpg

Now this might be the most interesting match of the first round. While I think Passion was actually overrated, I'll go with it. It is the only movie that's ever made me cry in a theater. Whether you believe in what the story says or not, it is almost impossible not to feel something based on what happened to him.

Kill Bill was an amazing film, and part 2 was better. Some of the stuff in it though just didn't work for me as it was too nuts. The walking on the sword part ring a bell? While its great and Uma Thurman is awesome, I just wasn't as huge on it as I was Passion.

While I think both parts of Kill Bill don't measure up to Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction, I still think it deserves the win here. No offense to anybody who believes in the Bible or anything, but to me, the Passion of the Christ was an insufferable bore. If you eliminate the fact that it is a religious story, and you replace the characters with just modern day interpretations, the film is essentially just what people that dislike Jeff Hardy would equate to "a really long spot fest". The film doesn't have the typical plot structure. It ends at what should be the "return threshold" and thus has no denouement. Its sort of the reverse of a standard horror film. You introduce the killer(s), you introduce the protagonist(s), the characters aren't developed but you're supposed to care for them, and then it becomes X number of minutes of torture and "will so and so die" until eventually it happens, and then uh oh, resurrection. Now, some people will argue that that IS the story. That the whole point of it is to show how evil people can be and whatnot. But that doesn't mean its good story telling. Picture all those fanfic things over the years from different people that use the formula of "everyone that has previously been established has a huge fight, bigger than anything we've ever seen before, and then it ends". That's what Passion felt like to me...someone who is caught up in the "characters" (whether or not this is real is a religious debate, not a writer's debate) and is more interested in telling the action part of it than actually telling a story that has a message, a beginning/middle/end that closes things in a full circle, and so forth.

Kill Bill Vol 2 won't make it past the next round most likely, but I think the fact that it is able to actually go full circle. We're shown how she and Bill were before her pregnancy (exposition), we're shown how she changes her mind with her pregnancy and the incident where she is put in a coma (initial incident), we're shown more of the rampage that goes in the middle (rising action), we're shown that the daughter is still alive and she kills Bill by using the same move that was foreshadowed earlier on (climax) and finally we're shown and told that "all is right in the jungle" (resolution).

Kill Bill Vol. 2.

This is another case where I really enjoyed "The Passion of the Christ" when I first viewed it, however, I have yet to watch it again. "Kill Bill, Vol. 2", on the other hand, I've watched more times then I can count. It's a fantastic fucking film. The part where Kiddo first fights Pai Mei and then it goes into her training and then skips back to her escaping from the casket, that's some of the greatest shit ever put to film, if you ask me. What an epic twenty or so minutes that is. Also, I loved how Tarantino shot the scene of her being buried alive. How intense was that?

But yeah... "The Passion of the Christ" deserves credit I guess for it's brutality, but it has its flaws, while I find "Kill Bill, Vol. 2" to be flawless, which is ultimately why "Kill Bill, Vol. 2" gets my vote here.

The Passion of the Christ is my pick. How can I go against my boy JC. I did find it a little boring though, and it was hard to follow unless you paid special attention. The Latin added to the movie though, I am a sucker for subtitles. Kill Bill is a "neat" movie, but is not an overly great movie. Passion sins out here on the great snenes, lead by Mel Gibson's gruesome filming of Jesus's last day alive.

I'm going with Kill Bill Vol.2. It's one of thoes movies where I wanted to watch again and again., whereas I watch and enjoyed "The Passion" but found some parts boring and I will probably wont watch again. I also found Uma Thurman to be really great in this film and thought Daryl Hannah, Lucy Lui, & David Caradine were all very enjoyable.

Man, this is probably the toughest choice I've had to make. I love Kill Bill 1 and 2. Tarrantino is masterful with his genre film tributes, and these movies are no exception. The Spaghetti Western feel of Kill Bill 2 is awesome, and I truly can't say enough good things about this movie.

I'm going with Passion though. I've seen this movie once in theaters, and that's all I've needed to see. It's a powerful piece of filmaking. I know, the Gibson bashers are waiting, so might as well start the shit train instead of just waiting. Some people feel it's anti-semetic, I don't. The violence isn't a crap violence like a Hostel movie or 300, it's real violence meant to further tell the story. It's used in the most powerful way possible. I love Kill Bill, but PotC is just a far, far superior film.

The Passion only has it's reputation because of who directed it, the fact it's the highest (or one of) grossing foreign language film of all time, and the level of violence. It's an ok film. But what exactly is the point of it? Is it supposed to show how exactly Jesus died? If so then what's with the demons?

The violence is graphic. But it goes on forever so it loses it's impact. I can sum the film up ina couple of words. Supper, Whippin', Walkin', On The Cross, The Resurrection.

I went with Passion, but, only because it was vol. 2, not vol. 1 of Kill Bill. I much prefer the first volume to the second, because of the fight against the crazy 88s, but, seriously, I would swap Passion of the Christ for Paul Schrader's Last Temptation of Christ...much better movie than Mel's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back