Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
The Wrestlezone Movie Tournament, 1980's Bracket;
Round 1, Match 12

Rain Man
rainman.jpg

Vs.

Top Gun
topgun260507_468x545.jpg

Cruise on Cruise! My deepest fantasy has finally come true!

I am voting for Top Gun here. And much as I respect what a strong film Rain Man was, and how good of an actor Dustin Hoffman is, there is no denying what a classic Top Gun was. Anthony Edwards was phenominal as Goose, and the characters and lines from the film have stood the test of time.

Like many dorky groups of friends, a bunch of us who used to work together called each other by Top Gun call signs, and then went so far as to get the t-shirts.

"I feel the need...the need...for speed."

"The list is long and distingusihed." "Yeah, well so's my johnson..."

"You can be my wingman anytime."

"Goose, take me to bed or lose me forever!"

Top Gun. It is another battle of thinking vs. flash, and flash wins again for me. Top Gun changed the culture of speaking with your friends. The lines are legendary, perhaps moreso than any 80s film. If Risky business made Cruise a star, this movie made him a supernova. He was the king of the 80s, and this one probably was his biggest movie. With Berlin blaring in the background, this movie starts up fast and never lets up.

Rain Man is great, but on a different level. For some reason being rated R, This deserved to be the Best Picture for the year, but I'll take Top Gun any day.

"Rain Man". And it's not even close in my mind.

"Top Gun" is a fun little movie, no doubt, but "Rain Man" is fucking epic. It's one of the most highly regarded movies of all time and deservedly so. The acting is ultimately what makes it that way, but the story is tremendous too. But yeah... when talking about "Rain Man", you have to talk about Dustin Hoffman's unbelievable performance. He was awesome. And Cruise was great too and doesn't get the love he deserves for his role in this film. The performances those two put on will be known forever as two of the greatest of all time in my mind and that's why it deserves to go further in this tournament when its opponent is "Top Gun".

Another match up with the same star. A very hard choice. Im not sure who I will pick while even writing this sentence. Top Gun was great and all, but Rain Man was probably better. I think going in, Dustin Hoffman had a very difficult role to play, a very sensitive role. He nailed it, it is one of the greatest instances of an actor making a role. Rainman is a great movie, but Top gun will be competition for the film. Im not sure who will win.

Rain Man is an amazing movie, mostly known for Dustin Hoffman's incredible performance. Top Gun is a good movie, but the scenes that take place on the ground really aren't that good. Sure, the airplane scenes are mesmerizing, but the movie has no substance. C'mon, its the pilot movie formula. A rookie, with a heroic father from the past, falls in love with his instructor, and also has an asshole pilot to compete with. It's so predictable. I mean are we really supposed to be surprised when his best friend dies in his arms? You can see it all coming if you look hard enough. Rain Man, however, is a movie that deserves the acclaim it receives, it tells an amazing story and Dustin Hoffman's performance is fantastic. I think you know who I'm gonna vote for.

Rain Man

Top Gun is a classic. An 80's classic that is. While it worked then, it wouldn't get much of a responcse from audiences now. They just wouldn't care about it. It's macho, whilst being very homoerotic. Entertaing, but unless you grew up watching it, or have a crush on Tom Cruise, would you really give a shit about it? It looks totally outdated in comparison to all the other action films around today.

I look at it as which movie would I rather throw in the DVD player to watch? Top Gun easily over Rain Man in the actual watchability factor. Rain Man is incredibly dull. It is a good movie, I suppose, but, its not a movie you want to watch repeatedly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back