Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House

The Wrestlezone Movie Tournament 1980s Bracket,
Round 3, Match 2

E.T.- The Extraterrestrial

et.jpg

Vs.

The Terminator

terminator.jpg

I enjoyed "E.T." as a kid, but "The Terminator" is ten times the movie "E.T." is, in my opinion. While I can understand why someone would pick "E.T." over "The Terminator" (unlike a lot of other match-ups in this tournament), I personally could never vote against "The Terminator" when it's going up against a movie I haven't watched since I was a kid.

So, I can give "E.T." credit for what it is and the legacy it has, but "The Terminator" is a film I can watch anytime and get caught up in it, whereas as I already mentioned, I haven't had the urge to watch "E.T." in at least 13 years.

E.T. isn't that great. I haven't seen the appeal and even though I understand why some would, I just can't get into it. TheTerminator on the other hand is my type of film. It's a great action movie, and its got a good storyline as well. There are only a handful of movies that I would vote over The Terminator, and E.T isn't one of them.

I haven't watched E.T in 5 years, and I don't really want to watch it again. It bored me back then, and if my memory serves correctly I turned it off halfway through. The Terminator is a great movie to get caught up in, like jmt said, and there aren't many other movies I would rather watch given the choice. One of my favourites of all time.

I was never a fan of ET. I appreciated it, but was never a fan. It may have been a good childhood film for some, but it was a bore for me. That said, the Terminator... is an amazing film. You cannot get bored watching that film. I first watched it when I was around 12, and haven't lived a year since then that I haven't watched it. It was another movie that create massive change in movies, and used this to its advantage. How realistic were previous Robots or cyborgs? horrible. Arnold Schwarzenegger was fantastic here, being believable, but still showing he wasn't a human. By far the better film here.

I have to agree with what's said above by TM and Tim. ET to me was always a film that I could appreciate, but not really enjoy. I've never owned it and I haven't seen it in like a decade. It may be a good film, but its nowhere near the impenetrable classic that a lot of people like to portray it as.

Whereas Terminator - albeit another film that shouldn't win a Best Picture A.A. - is awesome lol. It pales in comparison to T2, but the first was a great hybrid of thriller, action, and even horror sub-sections of a generally sci-fi film. The best part about it was that it took itself seriously and the audience did as well. They could've botched this movie and made it seem really cheesy, with some "killer robot" scenario, but they ended up giving us a haunting vision of the future that DOMINATES the whole "technology gone bad" mindset in films even after 20 years.

The Terminator.

Still aggravated that the Terminator Movies get all of this love, which they should, yet no one is watching the Show that might get cancelled, who woulda thought?

Anyways, this match. I've made my case for Terminator, myself and NoFate, along with Skullz, pretty much dominate TSC discussion thread. So I don't think I need to justify being a fan of the series that I'm about to vote against. Terminator should ahve lost to Raiders of the Lost Ark, but I digress.

ET wins this. I get that you probably have to be about 28 to 30 years old to fully appreciate how good of a movie ET was. ET was good enough to top Star Wars and sit atop of the Box Office Crown for 15 years, that should speak enough of the power of this movie.

Both great films. One deciding factor. I'm an adult. I've got to let that influence me to some degree, don't I?

But yeah, a big fan of the original Terminator. ET leaves me dry, but I can appreciate why people like it. Terminator, on the other hand, is ahead of its time. Despite some aged special effects, it would still stand up today against any decent action film/thriller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back