• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Your top 5 matches EVER

Mighty NorCal

SHALL WE BEGIN?
Yea so its been done before. We have a huge new generation of regulars though, and im interested. Plus, I need to update mine. Im selfish like that, you see.

Basically, give your top 5 matches ever and GIVE REASONS WHY YOU LIKE THEM. May god help you if you dont.

It can be a combo of what matches you feel are the best, or your favorites, or both. Really no criteria.

5. Mike Awesome Vs Masato Tanaka, ECW Blood sport DVD

I say the blood sport DVD, becuase ill be fucked if I knew what show it was from. The weekly one, on TNN and shit. anyways, this match blew me away, and made me have what little shred of respect for the old ECW that I do. Fantastic mix of pure wrestling, and brawling. Solid chair shots, big bumps, a hot crowd. It was everything a pro wrestling match should.

4. Bret Hart Vs Stone Cold Steve Austin, WM 13

We all know the story here. An incredible split crowd, crazy action that went all over the place, great phsycology by both guys, and a flawlessly executed double switch. also contains the iconic "glass shatters" entrance by Stone Cold.

3. Triple H vs HBK, Unsanctioned match, Summer Slam 2002

Holy shit. If you can find me a case of two men playing their roles more perfectly, I would love to see it. Especially Triple H's heel work. This crowd was rowdy and white hot all night, and wouldve cheered Trips if he wouldve allowed it. Shit, they popped for his entrance. But gosh DAMN if he didnt pull off some of the most bloodthirsty, merciless, sadistic heel work ive ever seen. That crowd fucking HATED him. On HBK's end, he sold every vile shot as if he was dying. He flew around the ring, and totally sold being brutalized to within an inch of his life. Everything about this whole match was a thing of beauty.

2. SCSA, Goldust, The Legion Of Doom, and Ken Shamrock Vs The Hart Foundation, Canadian Stampede, 1997

Well, I have now seen a more perfect job done of playing roles, and here it is. Holy SHIT. You want the hottest crowd ever?? You want some of the top guys EVER in a classic ten man tag?? You want scientific wrestling mixed with wild brawling?? THIS is IT. Holy shit this match is incredible. Its somewhat obscure, but if you havent seen it, do yourself a favor, and find it. Its amazing.

1. Bret Hart Vs Mr Perfect, IC title match, SummerSlam 1991.

Ive already gushed over it numerous times. Everything you can ask for in execution, selling, no botching, realistic wrestling. Bwaling, technical, near falls, near submissions, fantastic bumping. This thing has it all. It stands the test of time, in any era. A true classic.

5. Jeff hardy vs The undertaker Ladder match on raw

This reason why this is in my top 5 is because this match made me become a jeff hardy fan. It showed me at the time that Undertaker could have a good match on ladder in Jeff element. it also had its spots and moment but a moment i wont forget is when Undertaker won the match and then Jeff Hardy comes on the mic and says is that all you got (dont no the promo by that well) and taker gose back in the ring raise Jeff hand. out of respect.

4. Shawn micheals vs Kurt angle Wrestlemania
The reason why i like this match alot is because it brought out the best in both men in my opinoin. Also it told a great story going in to the match Shawn kicking Kurt causeing him to lose the rumble. Then Kurt comeing back in and beat the liveing shit out of Micheals costing him the rumble. Not alot of matches today dont tell great storys. Also at the time i was surprised that Kurt countered the Superkick and turn into the angle lock and made Shawn tap that was awsome.

3. Ric flair vs Shawn micheals Career threatening Match
While this match was not the best in ring match it was very emotional seemingly as almost everybody knew Ric flair was going to retire in that match. But when i was watching that match i knew he was going to retire. I just did not want him to because of all the memories i had watching ric flair growing up. Then when it came down to the last superkick and Shawn saying Im sorry i love you . I actually had tears in my eye i never was that emotional of a match befor but that match made tearthat will always be in my top 5.

2. Chris jericho vs Chris Benoit rr 2003 ladder match

This match is my favorite ladder match and my 2nd favorite match of all time because 2 of my faovorite wrestler of time are going add it. While i have to admit i sorta got bored in the first 10 15 mintues of the match then i got really into the match and wanted Chris jericho to win. The match was had its spots and was alittle techical to with the mat wrestling.

1. Royal rumble match 1992

While arugeable this rumble is the best rumble of all time . This is my favorite rumble because flair Won the vacted wwf title elminating sid visious. also they had some really good talent in there like hbk,piper hogan etc. also the commentary was really funny added alot to the match for me. This is my favorite match ever

Bret Hart VS Stone Cold Steve Austin WM 13-
This is a classic. Two of the best of all time at the grandest stage of them all. This was probably the best match Austin ever had. it was the match that really made him. Just a great match.

Hogan VS The Rock WM 18-
This match was off the hook. It was one of the last times I can really remember marking out like I did when I was a kid. Everyone in the room, even the people in my family who do not like Wrestling were all glued to the TV. eating up every min. of it. These guys didnt have an old time wrestling classic, but knew how to entertain and put on one hell of a show

Hogan VS Warrior WM6-
This is one of my earliest wrestling memories. I remember watching it live, and then getting the VHS later on. I still have it and its almost worn out. I used to be able to remember every second of that match move for move growing up. The whole " Good Guy VS Good Guy" thing was amazing, and noone knew who was going to win.

Bret Hart VS Mr Perfect SS 91-
Plain and simple it is pure Wrestling and story telling at its best,,,,,,, Two of the most technically sound doing what they do best for the IC belt, ( when it still meant alot) .

Andre VS Hogan WM 3- Savage -Steamboat was a way better match, but this was " THE " match at WM 3 . This had the whole world talking , and was probably one of the most well done " BIG MATCH " matches in WWE history. the electricity was amazing, and it really put Hogan on the Map and made him the huge star he became.

maybe not all the best " wrestling matches" but are my 5 favorites

5 dudleyz vs dreamer and sandman /ecw ons 2005
first off im a big ecw fan. so i put it here for other fans because before this match noone had seen a good old school ecw match since around 1999. the crowd was white hot for dreamers comeback,debut of sandman even seeing the bWo got the crowd going.

4 HBK vs Undertaker/Bad Bloodd 1997
Hbk pretty much created this match amazing. From the design of the cage to all the bumps he took. The look on the crowds and people watching at homes face as they saw this raw cage beeing lowered was priceless. this was a huge segway into the attitude era. the way hbk played his role was perfect it was just a great match through an through

3 Styles vs Daniels vs Joe /Unbreakable 2005
hands down the best match in company history.three talented guys who were engaged in a tremoundous fued just made this match amazing.Plus these guys are some of the most talented guys in the buisness

2 Flair vs Steamboat /Clash of the Champions VI 1989
this was a perfect match of showmanship and talent.Steamboat in his prime was one the best wrestlers of all time and combine that with flair, who is the best entertainer made a landmark match

1 HBK vs Hart /Wrestlemania 12
The way these two guys made a 60 min match into a story was unforgetfull. the build up to the match itself wasnt the best,however i did enjoy the promo before hand.Watching hbk glide down from the rope made him bigger than life.The match was priceless. Perfect technical skills from bret matched with the skills shawn had just messhed into eaxhother perfectly.The match was just a result of everything that could go right did. Everyone was holding their breath as bret locked in the sharpshooter. An when they went into overtime the way hbk came back an won was done perfect. This match is the example of what wrestling is

I don't think I could go into extreme detail, but here are the top FOUR most memorable matches for me. Sorry, I couldnt think of 5.

4.THE UNDERTAKER vs EDGE (WM24: World Heavyweight Championship)
Just a fantastic back and forth battle. At first, I though the Flair/HBK match should have ended the show but after this match was over, I was glad it didn't. sure, Flair is a legend and all but his match with HBK came no where near the caliber of match 'Taker vs Edge was. Even though we all knew how it was going to end before it started.

3.TRIPLE H vs CACTUS JACK (Street Fight from Royal Rubmle)
This was a great match that featured really great wrestling that worked its way into a very brutal and hardcore match. I don't think I ever seen thumbtacs used before this match (though im sure they were) and when I first seen it, I couldn't believe my eyes.

2.CHRIS BENIOT vs TRIPLE H vs SHAWN MICHAELS (WM20)
The day the greatest wrestler of all time finally captured his first legitimate world championship. Now I know and fully understand why people denounce Benoit today but still, this match was just magicall and if the WWE werent so set on PG, I think even they would have to admit that the best WM moment was seeing Benoit and Eddie holding those world championships at the end of WM20. Hell, even I had tears in my eyes and I know its all fake in the end.

1.BRET HART vs SHAWN MICHAELS (60:00 Iron Man Match)
I will never be able to forget this match for as long as I live. Though my love for wrestling has slightly diminished from what it once was, I can watch the match over and over and over and over again from start to finish. In my opinion, there has never been a better demonstration of pure skill and ability before and since.

These are the matches I tend to go back and watch over and over again. In no particular order:

1. Triple H vs. Rock Iron Man Match Judgement Day 2000
Unique. Only done once before in the last 5 years. Triple H initially insists on doing it himself sending his support to the back. Triple H also gave the stipulation that if he was going to beat the Rock, he had to beat him. Ties favor Rock. Throw in the finsih (even though part of me wonders what a clean finish could have done) with Undertaker returning and HBK officiating and its one of my favs. If it wasn't an hour, I would watch it more. But then again, if it wasn't an hour, it may not make this list.

2. Jeff Hardy vs Undertaker Ladder Match RAW 2002
Everytime I watch this match, part of me can't help but wonder if somehow history changes itself and Jeff actually wins. Not being a Jeff fan, I actually wanted him to win this match. With JR screaming "climb your ass of kid. Make yourself famous." I still get goosebumps.

3. Randy Orton vs. Cactus Jack Street Fight Backlash 2004
The only thing I didn't like was it didn't have Cactus's music. But I got over that real quick. Randy Orton landing bare-back on the tacks was insane. It also made me respect Orton instantly. He will do what it takes to get the job done. Orton's feeble attempts to be hardcore almost leaves him a broken-bloody mess, but persistence, toughness, and intelligence allows a young Orton to beat a past-his-prime Cactus.

4. Undertaker vs. Batista Survivor Series 2003
The story, JBL's commentary, the ending... great. JBL's commentary is the only reason I put this one over Angle/Benoit Royal Rumble. JBL is so into it as a fan yet gives us a wrestler's perspective. Im not huge on Batista but this is one of his better ones. Edge literally having to drag an unconcious Batista onto Taker. Plus, a demented Edge (at least for me) fits Edge and is Edge at his best. The shock of the fans, of the commentary, and of myself... I loved it.

5. Team Austin vs. Team Bischoff 2003 Survivor Series
Sometimes it's not how you start, but how you finish. The first few minutes were pretty basic and nothing special. But when it gets down to HBK vs Christian, Jericho, and Orton; business picked up. Christan sold one of the sickest looking super-kicks that actually made me go "Ooooh" out loud while watching it by myself. JR's commentary was amazing. The ending was great with "that damn animal Batista" Batista-bombing Michaels to the point the ref pops up in the air when Michaels hits. Just a great story overall. Sucks me in.

[size=+1]Ultimate Warrior v. Rick Rude at SummerSlam[/size]

This was one of the first great matches that I was able to watch as it happened, and it lived up to all the hype. The crowd was into it, and it has to rank as one of the greatest cage matches ever.

[size=+1]Dean Malenko v. Lionheart Chris Jericho[/size]

They're two of my favorite wrestlers ever, and this was a great match-up. The Lionheart gimmick is the greatest time in Jericho's career that didn't involve Shawn Michaels, and The Iceman was a great technician. It was good back-and-forth action, and didn't disappoint.

[size=+1]Jerry Lynn v. Steve Corino at Living Dangerously[/size]

It's no secret that Jerry Lynn is one of my favorites. Corino is also a very under-rated wrestler, by just about everyone. This match had the crowd behind it 100%, and didn't slow down. The run-ins were perfect, and didn't interfere with the outcome.

[size=+1]Undertaker v. Mankind in the Boiler Room Brawl[/size]

This was a very innovative match, and featured one of the greatest feuds ever. It was heart-wrenching, and had a ton of good spots. It was an overly-hyped match, and managed to be better than expected.

[size=+1]Bret v. Owen at WrestleMania X[/size]

Do I really need to explain why this is one of my favorite matches ever? It had an awesome storyline, the match was an instant classic, and it's hard to find a match for either that is as good as this one.

5. Jeff hardy vs The undertaker Ladder match on raw

This reason why this is in my top 5 is because this match made me become a jeff hardy fan. It showed me at the time that Undertaker could have a good match on ladder in Jeff element. it also had its spots and moment but a moment i wont forget is when Undertaker won the match and then Jeff Hardy comes on the mic and says is that all you got (dont no the promo by that well) and taker gose back in the ring raise Jeff hand. out of respect.

I cannot believe that I didn't mention that part; especially when I always make it a point to watch until he raises the hand and says "You're a tough son of bitch."

Top 5 Matches Ever

#5- Ultimate Warrior vs. Hulk Hogan, Title vs. Title, Wrestlemania 6
There has never been two more popular good guys to fight ever. Skydome, 70,000 fans split right down the middle and the best ending Ive ever seen with Hogan handing Warrior the WWF Title.

#4- Kurt Angle vs. Shawn Michaels, single, Westlemania 21.
In my opinion the best wrestled match ever. A match that had a huge amount of hype to it and lived up to it and then some. High flying moves, technical wrestling, 27 mins. of pure excitement.

#3-The Rock vs. Hulk Hogan, single, Wrestlemania 18
The best crowd I've ever seen. They were so loud and behind Hogan when he was suppose to be this massive heel. It proved that Hulk Hogan is the most popular wrestler ever and nobody is in his league. This match is the definition of what stealing a show is.

#2- Ultimate Warrior vs. Randy Savage, Career Ending Match, Wrestlemania 7
I don't think you'll ever see anything like it again with 2 of the most popular guys in the world putting thier career on the line. Great back and forth action and storytelling. Very cool ending with Elizabeth.

#1- Shawn Michaels vs. Triple H, Non-Sanctioned Match, Summerslam 2002
Shawn's first match in more than 4 years and he didn't miss a step. A Great story line going into the match. Everything in this match was perfect and a great ending. It would start what I consider to be the best rivalry in the history of wrestling in terms of the best matches.

And That's The List !!!

My Top 5 matches of all time:

5: Mickie James vs. Trish Stratus, WM22. Now, some of you are gonna knock me for having a diva's match on here...but they had one hell of a match that was as far as the whole package goes(storyline plus in-ring product), damn near stole the show at WM22

4: Stone Cold vs. Bret Hart, WM13. This was the match that put Austin on the map as a main event player to stay, plus the Hitman at his best in his last appearance at a Wrestlemania

3: Triple H vs. Cactus Jack, street fight, Royal Rumble 2000. I think this fued cemented HHH as THE man going forward and the guy that the WWE could really hang their hat on with Austin gone, and Foley only made it better with what i consider to be Foley's best match ever

2: Shawn Michaels vs. Bret Hart, iron man match, WM12. You have two guys, in their prime, wrestling the best technical wrestling anyone had ever seen to that point, and wouldnt see for a long time. The only knocks on this match is that it was an hour long and while they never slowed down completely its hard to have a match that long not get boring at some point, and it was a little anti-clamactic in that you knew that Shawn was going to get the belt. All that considered i still remember being glued to my TV during that whole match...nothing was going to pull me away until the match was over. Bonus points for this match because of the Sweet Chin Music to Tony Chimel.

1: Shawn Michaels vs. Kurt Angle, WM21. The iron man match was my all time favorite until i saw this match, and every time i see it i am amazed. This match had everything, technical wrestling, high risk, outside with the announce table, all the false finishes you could ever ask for(the match could have ended legit at least 4 or 5 times before it actually did). It had everything and the best work from two of the best to ever get in the ring.

There's others that come close, like undertaker vs. Kurt Angle, or stuff like that, or if Bret Hart ever had the chance to wrestle Kurt Angle i think that would be an automatic on this list but it never happened.

5.Edge vs The undertaker at WM24.I was there live so that obviously one of the reasons.Aside from that even though most knew who was going to win it was great match from both.i remember the people in my section popping and of course other sections,(but you couldnt hear them very good because there was no roof and all) when charles robinson made the run down that stage.

4.The undertaker vs Mankind HIAC.I was shocked when makind was thrown off he stage and Jr's commentary added alot to the match.I was also impressed that after being thrown off the cage that mankind decided to continue the match and then end up getting chockslammed through the top of the cage.No that is real dedication.

3.Shawn Michaels vs Bret Hart Iron Man MatchThe match was completely great,but the best part was the ending.When the match was over i thought it was over no belt for shawn michaels.but then the announcer said there will be Sudden death then i thought what's the point shawn is to beaten up to continue.Then at the end shawn hits sweet chin music to finish to gain his first wwe champion.This match made shawn michaels.

2.Bret Hart vs Stone Cold.The Story being told here was fantastic.Even though austin lost the match,and i wanted him to win,i felt that he came out looking very strong in defeat.This match was great and when you ask somene about this match it is not bret hart winning they'll remember but the match and story itself is what will be remembered.

1.Randy Savage vs Ricky "the dragon" Steamboat.I am surprised no one mentioned this match.It was great all around.It told a great story and is another one of those matches where the loser comes out looking strong in defeat.

Well there's my top 5.I would've of liked to add many more matches in there like the TLC between E&C,the hardys,ANd team 3d.Also the first womens main event on raw,just because it was something very special for them.There's is just to many great matches to make a perfect top 5.

5. Kurt Angle vs Undertaker No Way Out 2006
This match should have been the main event at Wrestlemania 22 but instead we got Mark Henry vs Undertaker and a pity title reign for Rey Mysterio. This match was awesome with Kurt Angle constantly countering Undertaker's trademark moves. Angle got the Ankle Lock in so many times that I actually thought Taker would submit eventually. I liked the ending with Angle reversing the Triangle Choke into a pin, which I didn't see coming.

4. Edge vs Undertaker (Hell in a Cell Match) Summerslam 2008
One of the best Hell in a Cell matches in recent and they actually left the Cell, albeit briefly. I would even go as far to say that this Cell match is up there with Mankind and HBK's matches with Taker. The spots in this match were awesome and they brought in aspects from their long feud, such as the camera shot. The ending was great where Edge was "sent to hell". My only complaint was the lack of blood. These two were hitting each other with practically everything possible yet none of them bled.

3. Kurt Angle vs Shawn Michaels Wrestlemania 21
This match is one of the greatest wrestling matches I've seen in a while. It had everything: perfect build up, great spots, lots of technical wrestling and close falls, and a clean finish which had HBK tap out. These two told a great story in the ring.

2. Bret Hart vs Stone Cold Steve Austin (Submission Match) Wrestlemania 13
The infamous double turn that propelled Austin to become one of the most popular stars ever. Match-wise, this was an intense back and forth match with great wrestling by both men. Perfect way for Bret to have his last Wrestlemania match. The image of Austin in the Sharpshooter with blood running down his face is one of the most powerful images in wrestling history.

1. Bret Hart vs Shawn Michaels Wrestlemania 12
This had to be the most perfect wrestling match ever. The story these two told in the ring is unparallel to anything I've ever seen. Two of the biggest stars at the time, both in their prime were so evenly matched that neither could best the other in the 60 minute time limit. The most intense moment of the match were the final few seconds where Shawn was locked in the Sharpshooter. Then Michaels barely inches through with the win during a sudden death overtime. Amazing story and amazing wrestling. The fact that these two could keep a crowd entertained for 60+ mins shows just how great they both are.

#5 - Undertaker vs Mankind - '98 King of the Ring - The sacrifice of one man's body to entertain the fans still blows my mind to this day!
#4 - John Cena vs RVD - One Night Stand '06 - I hate John Cena more than the next guy, however, I love a hot crowd and you don't get much hotter than this. I also was so glad to see RVD finally win the big one!
#3 - The Rock vs Hollywood Hogan - Wrestlemania X-8 - If any crowd could be hotter than Cena/RVD, it's this. Move by move the crowd went nuts, and the ending still gives me goose bumps to this day!
#2 - Anything with Kurt Angle!!! Especially his match with 'Taker at No Way Out '06 and HBK WM21. He is the perfect wrestler, he can go in the ring and tell one hell of a story!!
#1 - Shelton Benjamin vs HBK - RAW 2005 - Why Shelton hasn't become a staple in the main event picture after this match, I have no idea. Great ring work, with close calls throughout, and the best Sweet Chin Music Ever!!!

I like this top 5 idea. I picked more recent matches, however, I am going to do an old school one soon.

5) Owen Hart vs. Pegasus Kid (1990ish)
~From Japan & the quality is far from great. (Looks like one guy in the crowd filming with a camcorder & holding a flashlight) But it is one of the best, fast paced, back & forth match I've ever seen!

4) Curt Hennig vs. Nick Bockwinkle (tie)
~Both their 1 hour broadway in December '86 & the rematch in May where Henning finally one the AWA title. Together they tell the story of how even they are, causing Hennig to finally snag the strap & subtly turn heel at the same time.

3) Owen Hart vs. Davey Boy Smith (1997: European Title tourny finals)
~Prestige of a new title, the building tension of the two leading up to it & they were the reigning tag team champions! A great technical bout between two heels!

2) Midnight Express vs. The Fantastics (Fantastics win US Tag Title-1988)
~Phenomenal selling & story telling. The first time I saw the finish of the ref stopping the match because Bobby Fulton couldn't continue only to say he could go on & have the ref restart the match. The pop for the outta nowhere victory was insane!

1) Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels (Survivor Series 1992)
~It was signed/announced as a filler match between two guys that worked the loop all summer. When it came around it was the main event: WWF Champion vs. Intercontinental Champion. Wrestling psychology done to perfection, bottom line!

5-RVD Vs Cena - Not just cause of the outcome, but cause how the REAL ecw fans would treat WWE "wrestlers". I've never been able to see fans toss a top guy's shirt. Especially a GIANT face like Cena.(PS he still sucks)

4- Jericho Vs Rey Jr. - Rey returns to WCW. He was out with a busted leg. And Jericho did the ALL TIME BEST Heel move ever. Jericho with a top hat and cane was awesome. "Since I've beet them all, and I have no match, I'll tap dance if I have to"!

3- RVD Vs Lynn- Lynn ends up breaking his nose in this match. But the man finishes the match. I love the fact that no one ended up beating Van Dam for the title. There is a true reason why Van Dam is/was and always will be the WHOLE f*ckin' show! As well as Lynn being the NEW f*ckin' show! I can't remember a spot in this match I didn't like.

2- British Bulldog Vs Bret Hart - IC title one the line. Back when the title was something. Knowing that the IC title was the last match, and the World title wasn't compliments them both. You want to talk about a crowd that went crazy from start to finish. DAMN!

1- British Bulldog Vs Owen Hart- European Title Finals. The reason to watch old WWF matches. These guys were so damn good. Sad that NEITHER of them were world champs. The fact that these guys were a tag team at the time and had to go at it was awesome. Todays "wrestlers" should sit down and watch this. Only Jericho, Angle, Edge and Christian could entertain me near this match.

(I'd love to also put in: Shane Douglas Vs Jericho Vs Pittbull 2 Vs 2 Cold Scorpio. And pretty much anything Tajiri & Whipreck Vs whoever. But yes a top 5 are hard to do)

5. John Cena vsm RVD
ECW ONS 06
Being a Cena hater seeing the crowd throw his shirt back and him being booed made it all for me
4. Razor Ramon vs. Shawn Michaels. Wrestlemania X
The obvious answer but I disagree with the common theme that HBK had a match with a ladder. Scott Hall did a great job as well
3. Rey Misterio vs. Sabu
ECW ONS 06
I consider this one of the better ppvs they have put on in a long time and this match was action from the beginning...great great match
2. Ric Flair vs. Ricky Steamboat. Clash of the Champions
One of many classics but in my opinion the best
1. Shawn Michaels vs. Mankind
Mind Games
My favorite match mainly because it is never really brought up in the convo. Almost no build up but it was a really good match and fun to watch. I suggest you check it out

Well here's my top 5.

#5 - RVD Vs. John Cena, One Night Stand, WWE Championship Match - I start off with this one because that whole environment was crazy for that match. No matter your opinions on the old school ECW or its fans, you have to say that they are damn passionate when it came to ECW. What a perfect place to have that match, the Hammerstein Ballroom, and hell what a match. It won't ever be known as the most technical or prettiest matches, but I was a big fan of RVD back in the original ECW so to see him win the WWE Championship was a big moment for me. Oh and that reaction for Cena? Classic.

#4 - Ultimo Dragon Vs. Dean Malenko - 1996 Starrcade, Cruiserweight Unification Match - Holy shit, how many matches have you seen that there are literally 9 titles on the line in one match? That itself is a crazy thought. Coming in Ultimo Dragon was the J Crown champion at that time, holding 8 titles at the same time, and trying to add the WCW Cruiserweight title to that list. Malenko was his usual self, putting on a technical showcase, and Ultimo Dragon matched him hold for hold. Great match from both, so I'm putting this down as #4 on this list.

#3 - The Rock Vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin Wrestlemania XVII, WWE Championship Match - What a match. This was a brutal match, but most of all it had one of the greatest twists with Vince and Stone Cold aligning together. This had me on the edge of my seat the entire match, that was drama only wrestling could create. I still remember being 13 watching this match and just screaming at the TV after Stone Cold turned heel. This was the match that probably sucked me in the most. Well almost, we'll get there later.

#2 - Rey Mysterio Vs. Eddie Guerrero 1997 Halloween Havoc, Mask Vs. Title match - Wow, this match was just simply amazing to watch. I think this was when Rey Mysterio was at his peak, and Eddie just put on a clinic in terms of technical wrestling. This was the match that made me a fan of lucha libre and cruiserweight wrestling in general. Watching this match again on Youtube just brings back memories of the classic matches Rey and Eddie used to put on in WCW.

#1 - Sting Vs. Hollywood Hogan, 1997 Starrcade, WCW World Heavy Weight Championship match - I don't care that the finish completely killed the match. I list this as #1 because this was such an anticipated match, and the build up to it is what made this match. This match would have been the greatest match of all time had Sting gone over cleanly. However, I'm going to take everything into consideration before the match, and during. All of us young enough when this match went down, wanted Sting to win so badly, wanted him to kick Hogan's ass up and down the aisle, and finally wanted Sting to take back the title. The whole feud is what got me started on wrestling. I apologize but I did not watch wrestling in the early 90's, I started in the later 90's, so this match to me is the all time favorite on my list because of what it represents to me. It represents the beginning of me becoming a wrestling fan, and has only grown over the years.

Sting's entrance was so amazing, it had you salivating at the thought of the match you were about to see. Finally after all that build up, we were going to see Sting finally get Hogan one on one. Like I said previously, there was only one huge negative to this match that I had to overlook, and that was WCW's attempt at scoring off of the Montreal Screwjob. Barring this, I can't think of any other match I could possibly put at #1.

So there you go, there's my Top 5 list of favorite matches. I tried to put a little of everything into this list, but the way I'm going right now I could probably list ten matches and we'd be here forever. I put some Attitude Era WWF/E in there, some classic lucha libre wrestling from WCW, some modern WWE in, a fine technical match with some major history, and finally arguably the biggest match in WCW history.

In no particular order:

Chris Benoit vs. Kurt Angle: The Royal Rumble 2003 – By far the greatest WWE Title match of all time. I had stopped watching wrestling a little while after WCW and ECW went out of business, but I got back into it at around Wrestlemania 19. So, I figured I’d just pick up the Royal Rumble DVD, since I’ve become a huge fan of Lesnar and wanted to get my hands on everything he’s done that I unfortunately missed. And man… never in a million years did I expect the Benoit/Angle match on the DVD to be as spectacular as it was. I knew beforehand that Angle won the match, but I was still second guessing myself during the contest because these two did such a great job at selling that I thought Angle was going to tap or be pinned on multiple occasion. I was basically marking the fuck out for a match I had already seen highlights of and already new the outcome of. Unbelievable. And I can still sit down and enjoy this match today as much as any other match that has ever taken place.

Yoshihiro Tajiri vs. Psicosis: ECW TV 8/19/00 – I don’t care how many WCW matches you’ve seen, how many ROH matches you’ve seen, how many puroresu matches you’ve seen, or how many Lucha Libre matches you’ve seen… this is without a doubt the greatest “Cruiserweight” match to EVER take place. That’s how highly I view this match. It is AWESOME. It has everything one could ever want in a professional wrestling contest: Highspots that are logical and add to the story, tremendous mat wrestling, stiff shots, and great crowd participation. Trust me, the crowd in attendence loved this match as much as I did. If you haven’t had the pleasure of seeing this, please do yourself a favor and find this match as soon as possible; I guarantee you’ll love it.

Homicide vs. Bryan Danielson: Final Battle 2006 – I’ve become a huge fan of these guys when I first found ROH in 2004, and even though I absolutely love Danielson and enjoyed the hell out of his run as ROH Champion, there was nothing I wanted to see more then to see Homicide defeat the motherfucker and finally win an ROH Title. And man…. not only did he defeat Danielson at Final Battle, but he did so in a match that was beyond fantastic. Just like the Angle/Benoit match, I knew the outcome and I even seen highlights of the match beforehand, but I still found myself thinking that maybe I read the results wrong or something because there were numerous times throughout the match where I thought Danielson was about to retain the title. That’s how great the false finishes were. Seriously, if you’re looking to get into ROH and you want to know some of their classic shows or matches… I suggest you start with Final Battle 2006, because you will end up viewing on the greatest, most exciting matches that has ever taken place in in not only the company's history, but in the history of pro wrestling.

Rob Van Dam vs. Jerry Lynn: Living Dangerously 1999 – Their Hardcore Heaven match is the one that gets all the praise, but this is my favorite out of the bunch and my favorite match from one of my favorite wrestlers of all time, Rob Van Dam. Everything in this match was so perfectly done. The spots were tremendous, the crowd ate up every second of it, and the ending was phenomenal. These two great wrestlers just put on a match that will always be a joy to watch for, I would imagine, anyone. For those who don’t like it just need to remove the stick from up their ass. ;)

Raven vs. Tommy Dreamer: Wrestlepalooza 1997 - I first really got into ECW at Barely Legal, and the second show I ever witnessed from the company was Wrestlepalooza 1997. Raven was my favorite wrestler in the company at the time, so I was excited to see him in a match that was going to last longer then three minutes. Unfortunately, it would be his last match in the company at the time, but fuck… what a performance he, along with his wonderful opponent, put on. This match has just as much suspense and excitement as any match I’ve ever witnessed. It was that intense. The backstory to it is one of the greatest stories ever told in pro wrestling, in my opinion, and the angles this match alone led to were some of the greatest, most shocking, exciting angles in not only ECW history, but in pro wrestling history as far as I'm concerned.

Honorable mentions:
Sting & Luger vs. The Steiner Brothers: SuperBrawl 1991
CM Punk vs. Samoa Joe 3: All Star Extravaganza
Randy Savage vs. Diamond Dallas Page: The Great American Bash 1997
Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart: Wrestlemania X
Bret Hart vs. Diesel: Suvivor Series 1995
A.J. Styles vs. Samoa Joe: Sacrifice 2005
Ricky Steamboat vs. Ric Flair: Wrestlewar 1989
Shawn Michaels vs. Diesel: In Your House VII
John Cena vs. Rob Van Dam: One Night Stand 2006
Chris Jericho vs. The Rock: No Mercy 2001
The Briscoe Brothers vs. The Second City Saints: Reborn Again

And man, there are so many more, but I’ll stop here. But fuck do I love pro wrestling and the matches it has blessed us with!!!

Since everybody's opinion is different on what makes a good match these are my favorite matches, they may not be the best in other people's minds but they are my favorites.

1. Bret Hart vs. Austin WM13 This is far and away my favorite match ever. The psychology in this match was unreal, you would have really thought that these guys absolutely wanted to kill each other. You had the guy that was known for being the great technician show just how viscious he was and how ruthless he was. It was nothing but action from start to finish. My only fault in the match is I wish Shamrock wasn't the refereee, I just thought it took a little bit of the spotlight away from the wrestlers.

2.Hogan vs. Warrior WM6 This match is one that isn't rated that highly among smarks and most of the IWC but I loved it. It may have not had your prototypical technical wrestling that many people like but it still told a great story in that ring and that's what it was all about. You didn't know who was going to win, the crowd was split 50/50 and watching it as a kid that match seemed as real as real could get. Just an epic match.

3. The Rock vs. Taker vs. Angle Vengeance 2002 I loved this match and it was far and away my favorite triple threat ever. The ending of this match was insane with all the false finishes, you were on the edge of your seat the whole time. Plus it gets added points for me being in attendence and The Rock winning his final WWE championship in it.

4. Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart Cage match Summerslam94 Even though their match at WMX seem to get more publicity and deservingly so because it was a great match I just liked this one better. I thought in this one both of them sold the fact that they hated each other more and were more vicious in it. There was also some realism in it that you don't see in alot of cage matches. By that I mean that very few times did you think that a person could legitamitely exit the cage if they wanted to like you do in most cage matches. Overall just a great match and the match I thought should've won MOTY in 94.

5. Warrior vs. Savage Mania 7 retirement match I just watched this a few weeks ago for the first time in like 10 years and I realized just how good this match was. It was epic, again just like most Savage matches the story in it was unreal. This was for more than just a title this was personal and it was for their career which meant everything and these guys made you think that. On top of the greatness of the match after the match provided one of the more emotional moments in WWE history with Savage turning face and the reuniting of him and Liz.

Honorable Mention

Savage vs. Steamboat WM3
Austin vs. The Rock WMX7
Bret Hart vs. Bulldog IYH 95
Bret Hart vs. Bulldog SS92
Taker vs. HBK BB97
Taker vs. Foley HIAC
HBK vs. Razor WMX
Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart WMX
Bret Hart vs. Benoit 10/99 Nitro
HBK vs. Angle WM21
Bret Hart vs. Mr. Perfect SS91
Angle vs. Benoit RR03
RVD vs. Cena ONS06
HBK vs. Bret Hart Survivor Series 92
John Cena vs. HBK WM23
Hogan vs. The Rock WMX8
HBK vs. HHH SS02

There are so many more that I'm sure I'm forgetting about as well.

1.) Intercontinental Title, No DQ Match: Umaga vs. Santino Marella (Raw, 4/16/07)

His debut match, and it was gorgeous. He got some early offense in on Umaga, before giving Umaga a turn for the beat down. Luckily, Santino works best when he is down, and turned the tables, and out of no where pinned Umaga to win the Intercontinental Championship on my birthday! Great day.

2.) No. 1 Contender's (IC Title), Fatal Four-Way Elimination Match: Santino Marella vs. Jeff Hardy vs. William Regal vs. Shelton Benjamin (Raw, 7/16/07)

What a battle these four men put forth. Although the ending may not have been what I had hoped, it was still an incredible match-up. We had 3 of the more talented men in the WWE, and the greatest, Santino shinning up the stage.

3.) Santino Marella vs. John Cena (Raw, 9/17/07)
Although John Cena considers himself the winner in this match, no pin fall means no victory in mine, and Santino's, Randy Orton's and everyone's books. Sorry John Cena, you have nothing on the Italian Sensation.

4.) Summerslam, Intergender Intercontinental/Woman's title match with Beth Phoenix versus Kingston and James

The start of the Honky-Tonk Meter. Santino proves how he can wrestle in the most ridiculous matches and still goes over. Really, what can I say besides the fact Santino in this match won IC gold again, putting him higher than Ric Flair in IC gold wins.

5.) Raw, Santino Marella and Carlito versus Cody Rhodes and Hardcore Holly

This was to determine if they would get a title shot, which they did, after destroying these chumps. Not only that, but Santino also destroyed Jerry Stupid Lawler's Sandwich as well, but that is a different point. This showed how dominant the tag team was, being one of the first people to defeat Cody Rhodes and Hardcore Holly. If Lawler weren't to pull the ol' screw job on Santino, then Santino would have been, and still would be Tag Team champion.

5. Shawn Micheals Vs Kurt Angle.

Good match Kurt carried, was amazing. Best moonsalt ever. Couldn't expect anything, more, nor less from either of these two competitors.

4. Angle vs Sting empty arena

I loved this match. Was pretty much just a brawl. Wish they could have killed eachother.

3. Santino Vs Jerry Lawlers Sandwich.

Santino Devoured. It was great.

The real number 3. Eddie vs Batista (I dont remember where it was at)

Was a great match. Was the only reason I started watching wrestling. I'm your papi?

2. Trish vs Beth faceoff.

Wasn't an actual match. But I thought this was a great little scramble they had. In the intergender match with Cena. Saw a nice little tease. Go trish.

1. Undertaker vs Batista
Pulled me back into wrestling last year. Was just starting to get stale for me, then that happened. Great match, great fued. Probably best SD main event, ever.

Unfortunately I can only go with matches I have actually seen...so here goes:

5.) Edge & Christian VS. Dudley Boyz VS. Hardy Boyz TLC II - WrestleMania 17: Unfortunately I didn't see WM2000 and the first Ladder Match, or the first TLC match (I know I'm missing out...), but this match was Attitude era tag team wrestling!

4.) Kurt Angle VS. Chris Benoit - Royal Rumble 03: Two great wrestlers in one hell of a match. Casual fans couldn't even help but cheer the heel Angle for the performance the two both gave for this match...and a standing ovation for Benoit says it all!

3.) Triple H VS. Shawn Michaels Unsanctioned Match - SummerSlam 02: Shawn's first match in 4 years, no ring rust, and the two told one hell of a story! This began the comeback of the Heartbreak Kid!

2.) John Cena VS. Shawn Michaels - WrestleMania 23: Only reason I'm putting this one up high is because I got to see it live. The energy in the audience, split between Cena and Michaels. The two proved that they belong in the main event! Even my wrestling hating wife got into this match and was watching until the end! This is a match you can show non-wrestling fans and watch them stay entertained!

1.) Stone Cold Steve Austin VS. The Rock No Disqualifications - WrestleMania 17: This match was simply great! A matchup between The Great One and the Texas Rattlesnake did not disappoint! Austin giving Rock Bottoms, Rock giving Stone Cold Stunners, each trying to one-up the other to get the pinfall. Multiple spots and close pins kept the audience on their toes...but even the audience wasn't ready for the Austin siding with his long-time enemy McMahon...

Dragon Kid V Darkness Dragon (K-Ness) - 2 out of 3 falls, Mask V Mask match.

I guess I'd credit this match as being the one that got me back into wrestling. Sure I'd been a casual WWF fan during the childhood years, but it wasn't until I happened to stumbled across this match on you tube that I officially became a hard core fan. The actual match its self is good, missing out on the rank of phenomenal on account of having a bullshit ending which I didn't understand at the time.

The guys involved are two of my all time favourites from the Japanese industry. Dragon Kid is the high-flying prodigy of Ultimo Dragon, and to give a simplistic summery, he's like a quicker and more consistent version of Ray Mysterio. His biggest claim to fame is being the pioneer of the Dragorana, and I think he also featured in one of Meltzar's 5* matches, although I've never seen the contest. Anyway, he's the best high flying in the world, and this is the best match he's ever had.

More significantly, we've got the much less well known Darkness Dragon. Darkness Dragon was a gimmick based of rebelling against the Ultimo Dragon legacy, and once he lost his match he quickly changed to become K-Ness. Anyway, K-Ness is Dragon Gate's equivalent of Shawn Michaels, in that in every match he makes his opponent look like a million dollars. This match should be held up as the golden example of how the sell a high flyers offence and make it look credible.

Then, and perhaps least significantly, there's the sceptical its self. And by that what I am mostly referring to is the fact that both guys were wearing some of the coolest ring attires I've ever seen (excluding Muta). It may not be a particually high brow observation, but the battle between the black and white dragons was... to coin a phrase... fucking awsome and permanently cemented the match in my memory.

Ed "Strangler" Lewis vs Dick Shikat

Hands in the air, my collection of Lewis is very small, and this match is just something I ripped off of youtube. It's more of a nostalger trip for me than it is a wrestling match. It's facinating to look back seventy odd years and see where it all bagan. It's also worth it, just to watch Lewis in the ring. The man was so techniclly gifted, you can pause on any frame and analysie the position, and there is never, ever a gap in the logic. It is impossible to look at this match and to even surspect that it was worked, and to this day I'm unsure about it.

Lou Thesz V Rickidozan 4

This was the big one. After Thesz's victory in the US, and the two high profile draws in Japan, this was the encounter where Dozan pinned the great one. I don't think I need to stress how good these two guys were, so I'll gloss over that in favour of the other reasons I adore this match.

Once again, I love a match that provides a sceptical, and the Japanese crowd really provides that. Every time Dozan got in the slightest piece of offence, the roof was blown off the building. Even back when the sport was real, Japanese crowds were notoriously quite compared to their US counterparts, but this encounter throws that stereotype out of the window. I've literally never seen a match take place in such an intense aptnesphere, and the sceptical would be worth watching, even if the match was shit.

Obviously, the match wasn't shit, it was Amazing. Unquestionable the best loss Lou Thesz ever had.

Undertaker V Mankind - Hell in a Cell

High brow opinions can once again go fuck themselves. No match has ever got this kind of reaction out of me, or out of wrestling fans in general. It wasn't pretty, it wasn't technical, it was a spot fest with only two spots, but it was amazing, and that's all that needs saying.

Kurt Angle V Shawn Michaels

I recognise excelence in all its forms, and whilt this might not be my favored style, you have to give this match the credit that it's due.

Other people have talked about it, and undoubtably more will bring it up, so I'll leave the rest unsaid.

Those are my top five this morning. Ask me again next week and it will probably be different though.

Very hard to name 5 of the bets ever when theres so many but here's myne

5: (egde and christian vs duddley boys vs hardy's TLC wrestlemania 17)
loved that match, could not stop watching it so many bumps and imo the coolest move ever with edge spearing jeff of the ladder

4:hbk vs chris jericho ladder match (No Mercy i think)
The match was just great with a incredible fued building up to it i could not stop watching for ever one min.

The Rock vs Stone Cold Steve Austin (Wrestlemania 17)
on a wrestling stand point it was good but not that great, but imo great build up and greatest fued ever with rock and scsa, + the ending had me thinking OH MY FUCKING LORD.

2:Rock vs Hogan (Wrestlemania 18) what more can i say the best of old generation vsing the best of the current generation, never EVVVVER saw a crowd get into a match that much.

1:Eddie Guerrero vs Rey Mysterio (right after Wrestlemania 20)
Most will think wtf???? but if you havnt seen this match or dont remember google it plz simply an amazing matching

I'm going to pick 4 and leave a space open for one if it comes to me.

Cactus Jack vs. HHH, Streetfight, Royal Rumble 2000 - a match that made me go WOW back in 2000. Best example of the hardcore style I can think of. Had everything, drama, intensity, the "OMG" spots, thumbtacks. It also made HHH.

The Brainbusters vs. The Hart Foundation, Summerslam '89 - to of the best teams of all time going at it in a DREAM match. Is this the best opener to any PPV event? Possibly.

Flair vs. Steamboat, Clash of the Champions - I don't think needs justifying at all, just go and watch it now if you haven't seen this one. Steamboat at is peak was just untouchable and this is 1989 Flair we're talking about here, he was in the best shape of his life. Terrific stuff.

Savage vs. Steamboat, Wrestlemania 3 - I remember watching this with my brother, we didn't know this was an all-time classic, so we were just watching through this fairly lack-lusture card and BAM. We were literally sitting there open-mouthed at the sheer quality of this match, it was just sooooooo many leagues above anything else around it, almost like watching a different sport or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back