• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Your top 10 greatest tag teams of all time

Jtrivera

Occasional Pre-Show
The title speaks for itself, a few years from now maybe wwe will do a top 50 tag teams like they did with the top 50 superstars but before that comes along I wanna know from you, who would you rank in the top ten, who comes to mind when you hear tag team division, in no specific order my choices are, L.O.D, The Hardyz, Dudley boys, Edge and Christian, The rock and sock, Kane and big show. Hart foundation. DX. Brothers of destruction, jeri-show

Im pretty sure they have a greatest tag teams of all time DVD set. Maybe not a top 50 but i know they have something similar to it. But to answer your thread, my top 10 would include (in no particular order):

The Freebirds
The Rock n Roll Express
The Midnight Express
The Steiner Bros
The Road Warriors (Legion of Doom)
The Hardy Boyz
Edge & Christian
The Dudley Boys
The Rockers
The New Age Outlaws

honorable mention: Rock and Sock Connection, The Miz and John Morrison

since this is in the WWE section, I am going to assume you mean the top WWE tag teams, not tag teams in general...otherwise this would be better served being in the general wrestling or old school section, and my list would look a lot different...

WWF/E only:
1. The Legion of Doom
2. The Hart Foundation
3. The British Bulldogs
4. Demolition
5. The Rockers
6. The Hardy Boys
7. The Dudley Boys
8. Edge and Christian
9. The Dream Team (Greg Valentine and Brutus Beefcake)
10. The Brainbusters (if this was a general purpose list, Arn and Tully would be MUCH higher, but they didn't really do a lot in the WWF.

What is the common thread with all these teams? They were all teams for extended periods of time, not just two singles wrestlers temporarily teaming up because creative has nothing else to do with them. All of the teams I counted were teams for years, not just a few months. REAL teams.

I'm not gonna try to think about a whole 10 who were the best, but IMO Num1 should be The Dudley Boys.
They might not have been the most succesful tag-team in WWE soloely (That goes to DX), but they areguably are the greatest tag-team in history.

My personal favourites in no order.

New Age Outlaws
Brothers of Destruction
Acolytes
Legion of Doom
cactus Jack and Chainsaw Charlie
kane and X-Pac
Hardy Boyz

I'll think of the last three later

You can't even debate #1. The Legion of Doom, The ROAD WARRIORS!!!! No tag team, or individual wrestler, has ever came close to the Road Warrior Pop. No one has ever been able to be liked in they way that LOD was whether a heel or face. Simply put, the greatest ever in a league all their own. When I put the rest of my list together, I considered popularity, success, and longetivity. That does leave out some nice combinations like The Brood (Edge, Christian) and the Brothers of Destruction. Neither lasted very long. So teams like that I'll give an honorable mention.

Rounding out the top 10:

2. The Fabulous Freebirds
3. Team 3D
4. The Steiner Brothers
5. The Rock and Roll Express
6. The Minnesota Wrecking Crew (Ole and Arn Anderson)
7. The Hart Foundation
8. The British Bulldogs
9. The Midnight Express
10. The Rockers

I'm not gonna try to think about a whole 10 who were the best, but IMO Num1 should be The Dudley Boys.
They might not have been the most succesful tag-team in WWE soloely (That goes to DX), but they areguably are the greatest tag-team in history.

Going to have to disagree since just being given titles doesn't mean you're the best. Plus their title reigns were incredibly short, and they were only really good in non traditional tag team matches.

My tag teams are;
Legion of Doom/Road warriors
Midnight Express
Rock n Roll Express
Steiner Brothers
Arn Anderson/Tully Blanchard (Brain Busters)
Hart Foundation
British Bulldogs
Freebirds
Mitsuharu Misawa/Kenta Kobashi
Harlem Heat

Its such a shame that the wwe doesn't use the tag divison anymore, it seems to me that most wrestling fans loved the old divison..

1.Owen Hart & The British Bulldog
2.The Hart Foundation
3.New Age Outlaws
4.Edge & Christian
5.Legion Of Doom
6.The Hardy Boys
7.The Dudley Boyz
8.Demolition
9.Undertaker and Kane
10.The Rockers

I'll have to give honarable mention to The Bristish Bulldogs, It was a toss up between them and The Rockers..

10. Beer Money (Sorry I know this is the WWE section)
9. Original DX
8. New Age Outlaws
7. Hardy Boyz
6. Harlem Heat
5. Edge and Christian
4. LOD
3. Team 3D
2. Wolfpac (meaning Nash, Hall, and Syxx)
1. Hart Foundation (yeah yeah, I'm Canadian)

The Band has spoken..

Demolition
The Natural Disasters
Strikeforce
The Powers of Pain
Owen Hart and Yokozuna
New Age Outlaws
The Acolytes
The Power Trip (Austin and HHH)
Rated RKO
D-X

In no paticular order

The Moondogs
The Steiners
The Fabolous Ones
Rock n Roll Express
Harlem Heat
The dudley's
Minnesota Wrecking Crew
Midnight Express
The Hardy's
NWO

as you can tell I'm Old School

LoD at number 1 with no doubt.
The rest in no particular order.
Tully/Arn
Rock n Roll Express
Midnite Express (Lane/Eaton)
Stiener Brothers
Harlem Heat
The Freebirds
Hart Foundation
New Age Outlaws
The Outsiders

When looking at the top ten tag teams it is always real tag teams who have been together for years who work well in the ring and sometimes have a manager.

1. Road Warriors/LOD
2. Rock and Roll Express
3. Midnight Express
4. Demolition
5. Hart Foundation
6. Steiner Bros
7. Dudley's/Team 3-D
8. Hardy's
9. Edge & Christian
10. Freebirds

Honorable mention: Ivan Kolaff and the Iron Shiek.
I would include Beer Money and MCMG in the top tag teams but we are in a WWE section and are the best tag teams we have seen since numbers 7-9. A nice focus on Tag Teams would be nice again. I long for the days since we had teams like demolition and Road Warriors.

Top 10 In my opinion:
1) Steiners
2) LOD
3) Brainbusters
4) Hart Foundation
5) Harlem Heat
6) Bulldogs
7) Edge & Christian
8) Team 3D
9) Valiants
10) Hardy Boyz

Demolition
The Natural Disasters
Strikeforce
The Powers of Pain
Owen Hart and Yokozuna
New Age Outlaws
The Acolytes
The Power Trip (Austin and HHH)
Rated RKO
D-X

Serious? You put Demolition over LOD and don't even have LOD listed? Demolition was a bad imitation of the original. Strikeforce? They were no better than The Killer Bees.

In no paticular order

The Moondogs
The Steiners
The Fabolous Ones
Rock n Roll Express
Harlem Heat
The dudley's
Minnesota Wrecking Crew
Midnight Express
The Hardy's
NWO

as you can tell I'm Old School

Moondogs good choice. Bushwackers also comes to mind in terms of old school. I wouldn't call Harlem Heat or NWO old shool though. But no LOD? Any list without LOD is in question.

In no particular order:

1) D-Generation X (Shawn Michaels and Triple H) I'm a huge DX mark, I can admit it, but HBK and HHH are two of the most entertaining people in the business when allowed to just do whatever they want. They're both naturally witty people, not to mention amazing in the ring. DX was definitely a huge boon for the Attitude Era, and some of the later schtick in 2006 and 2009 was hilarious as well.
2) The Dudley Boyz (Buh-Buh Ray Dudley and D-Von Dudley I was so excited when they came over from ECW, and together with the Hardy Boyz and Edge & Christian they revolutionized the tag team division in the late 90s/early 2000s. They were one third of the reason behind TLC matches which now has its own PPV. (Dudleyz with the tables, E&C with chairs, and Hardyz with ladders. On a personal side note I was at the RAW where Foley announced the first TLC match. Tables, and Ladders, and Chairs, oh my!)
3) Edge & Christian See #2. E&C were hilarious back in the day as well. "For the benefit of those with flash photography..." Definitely one of the more prolific tag teams on the list as far as launching singles careers too.
4) The Hardy Boyz (Jeff Hardy and Matt Hardy) See #2. As much as I hate both these men now, I was admittedly captivated by their ability in the late 90s.
5) Legion of Doom/Road Warriors (Hawk and Animal) Nuff said really, one of the biggest teams of all time.
6) The Rockers (Shawn Michaels and Marty Jannetty) Two incredible talents, they really brought "team" wrestling into the tag team division. It was no longer about two people wrestling singularly, it was about two teammates working together.
7) New Age Outlaws ("Road Dogg" Jesse James and "Bad Ass" Billy Gunn) Amazing team. Defined "Attitude Era" for me. Two guys repackaged from corny as hell gimmicks into two badasses. Worked perfectly. And as lacking as Road Dogg was in the physical talent department IMO, Billy Gunn was awesome in the ring.
8) The Outsiders (Kevin Nash and Scott Hall) I know they're not WWE, but I guess WWE, WCW and ECW is all the same nowadays, right? Total game-changers. Obviously the nWo storyline was one of the best of all time, if not THE best.
9) The Impact Players (Justin Credible and Lance Storm) Maybe not a conventional "best", but I always enjoyed watching them. Lance could put on a clinic in the ring, and Credible with that Singapore cane was lethal. Add in Dawn Marie, and you have a very pleasing tag team to watch. Shame WWE never reunited these guys when they had them both.
10) The Hart Foundation (Bret Hart and Jim Neidhart) Nuff said really, helped put The Hitman on the map.

As you can see I'm sort of an Attitude Era guy. I grew up watching that product, so those teams impacted me the most. Also, again, these are in no particular order, just how they came to mind.

Demolition, Hart Foundation, Dudleys, E and C, Harlem Heat, Beer Money, Steiner's, Hardyz, LOD, New Age Outlawz

Honorable Mention: Acolytes, Impact Players, Rockers, Outsiders, MCMG

1)Road Warriors(without a doubt)
2)Stiener Brothers
3)Fabulous Freebird
4)Rock & Roll Express
5)Tully & Arn
6)Midnight Express( both Versions)
7)Hart Foundation
8)Harlem Heat
9)British Bulldogs
10)Midnight Rockers
Honorable mentions( Shiek & Volkoff, Adonis & Murdock, U. S. Express,)
no Demolition cheap Road Warrior ripoff!

9. Original DX

The "original DX" wasn't a tag team.

-The Road Warriors
-The Hart Foundation
-The Fabulous Freebirds
-The Steiner Brothers
-The British Bulldogs
-The Dudleys
-The Hollywood Blondes
-Demolition
-The Rock-n-Roll Express (Ricky Morton and Robert Gibson)
-The Rockers

Mine would have to be teams that I remember actually watching. Many teams like LOD, The Hart Foundation, and a lot of other hall of fame teams aren't on the list because they were in their prime before I started watching or I don't remember watching them. I'm not saying they aren't great, I just don't remember them, so i have no right to judge their greatness. They are legends, I'll leave it at that. So mine would have to be...

1. D-Generation X-
Shawn Michaels and Triple H... I don't even need to say anything else.

2. The Hardy Boys (98-01 ish)-
I remember the epic battles they had with The Dudley Boys and Edge&Christian. I spent most of my younger days watching Matt and Jeff jump off of things, crash into things and flip. To a youngster, it was the most excited thing to watch on TV.

3. The Dudleys (99-02 ish)-
One of the things I remember most about any tag team was the words "D-Von, get the tables!" Dudleys + Tables = Greatness. And no one was safe when the tables came into play. Men, Women and children could all be slammed through the table when The Dudleys got a hold of them. And anyone who has seen it knows how memorable the stare on Bubba Ray's face was after the deed was done.

4. Edge & Christian-
When they first were with Gangrel as Brood, I thought that their entrance of coming from underground with the fire and the blood cup were great! When Gangrel left and they started fueding with The Hardy's and The Dudley's, classics were born. These three teams, in my days of watching the WWF, were tag team wrestling at its greatest.

5. The Acolytes-
The Acolytes were the team that resembled physical domination. Farooq and Bradshaw were big, bad, and strong. They would eventually start the APA, which saw them do nothing but drink beer, beat up people and get paid for it. It was great!

6. The Rock and Sock Connection-
The Rock and Mankind were not together long, but when they were, they were extremely funny and extremely entertaining. From Mr. Rocko, the people's elbow with mr. elbow, the jackets and the Rock, this is your life segment, the Rock and Sock connection was epic.

7. New Age Outlaws-
"Oh you didn't know?" is another memorable line from my childhood. I watched Road Dogg Jesse James and Bad Ass Billy Gunn and thought that they were very entertaining. They were overshadowed in D-X by the greatness of Triple H and Shawn, and then by the greatness of Chyna and X-Pac, but they were still great.

8. Harlem Heat-
I didn't watch WCW because I was a huge WWF fan and thought WCW was not as good as WWF, but I watched the Harlem Heat. I remember being about 8 or 9, and watching wrestling with my older cousin who used to flip between WWF and WCW and I caught a glimpse of Harlem Heat. The first thing that caught my attention was the fact that they were black. Me, being black, noticed that there weren't too many black wrestlers, aside from the likes of Ahmed Johnson, The Nation of Domination and a few others. Harlem heat were the champs at the time, so I really began to enjoy watching them wrestle, and win. I always thought Booker was better than Stevie Ray, and I guess I was right.

9. Too Cool-
Just for the simple fact that they danced was enough for me to enjoy this team. And i remember actually learning how to do the worm because of Scotty Too Hotty. They danced with whoever was in the ring at the time, including people who you never thought you'd see dance. It was great, and they weren't that bad in the ring as well.

10. The Rockers-
The only reason why these guys are so low on the list is because they wrestled before I was born, and before I was a wrestling watcher. From 85 to 92, I was -2 to 5 years old so I really have no recollection of them. But between being a huge Shawn Michaels fan, seeing the clip of him kick Marty (who at that time was known to me as "that guy Shawn Michaels kicked and put through a window") and watching Shawn Michaels DVDs, I found this team to be great.

In no order:

Road Warriors
Demolition
Edge and Christian
Fabulous Freebirds
New Age Outlaws
The Midnight Express
The Rock N' Roll Express
The Steiner Brothers
The Dudley Boyz (as overrated as they can be)
Harlem Heat

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back