• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Your Most Anticipated Summer Release?

What's your #1 choice for this summer?

• The Avengers

• The Dark Knight Rises

• Prometheus

• The Amazing Spider-Man

• Men In Black 3

• Battleship

• Dark Shadows

• Snow White & The Huntsman

• The Bourne Legacy

• Other (please specify in post)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
So I was browsing the internet this morning, and I came across this interesting piece of news:

Holy box-office troubles, Batman.

Not "The Dark Knight Rises," but "The Avengers" is the most anticipated summer movie, according to a new survey of 2,000 moviegoers by online ticketing site Fandango.

Earth's Mightiest Heroes' big-screen adventure doesn't premiere until May 4, but 31 percent of men surveyed tapped the Marvel Studios film as the movie they're most stoked to see.

Although that number decreases substantially among women, 16 percent of moviegoers with two x chromosomes said "The Avengers" was their most anticipated summer film.

Also read: 'Captain America' Sequel Hitting Theaters in 2014

Fandango reports that pre-sales for "The Avengers" are already sizzling. The film accounted for 21 percent of tickets sold Tuesday on Fandango.

But while fanboys may want to see if Iron Man, the Hulk and Captain America can save the world from evildoers, female moviegoers are more excited for Universal Pictures' fairytale adventure "Snow White and the Huntsman," the survey found.

Twenty two percent of female moviegoers said that they were eagerly awaiting the chance to see Kristen Stewart armor up and do battle with the evil queen (Charlize Theron).

As for the final installment in the caped crusader franchise, "Dark Knight" is picking up buzz, particularly given that it doesn't open until July 20 and thus has not yet received the same promotional push as "The Avengers."

Some 23 percent of male moviegoers picked "The Dark Knight Rises" as the movie they are most looking forward to catching this summer, while 10 percent of women picked the comic book movie. That makes it the second most anticipated summer movie among men and fourth most among women.

Here are the top picks by men and women:

Men’s Picks for Most Anticipated Summer Movie
1. “The Avengers” 31%
2. “The Dark Knight Rises” 23%
3. “The Bourne Legacy” 14%
4. “Men in Black 3” 8%
5. “Prometheus” 7%

Women’s picks for Most Anticipated Summer Movie
1. “Snow White and the Huntsman” 22%
2. “The Avengers” 16%
3. “Men in Black 3” 13%
4. “The Dark Knight Rises” 10%
5. “Dark Shadows” 8%

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/artic...ated-summer-movie-fandango-survey-finds-37070

These numbers really did surprise me at first, because I was expecting The Dark Knight Rises to be #1 on everyone's list. Although, according to Fandango, The Avengers ranks high on everyone's must-see list for this summer. The Dark Knight was a good film. Overrated by the masses, but still, it was a good film. Heath Ledger's Joker was just brilliant. But The Dark Knight probably set the bar too high for Nolan's grand finale. Batman fans are expecting some sort of epic masterpiece, but their unrealistic expectations for the third film might cause some problems. The Dark Knight Rises will receive lots of nitpicky criticisms, and a lot of people will be disappointed.

Yeah, Nolan's Batman films have provided some great memories, and Christopher Nolan did resurrect the Batman franchise, but we've all seen different types of Batman films before. The Avengers is something new, and fresh. It's an all star extravaganza of superheros, and the anticipation levels for moviegoers have gone through the roof. And who could blame them? The Avengers continues to ride a strong marketing push, and the promotional material has just been great. The marketing campaign for The Dark Knight Rises should kick into high gear, as we draw closer to July 20th, and this is Nolan's last Batman film, so the hype train for The Dark Knight Rises should pick up some speed soon enough.

The Avengers or The Dark Knight Rises will probably be #1 on most lists, but which summer release are you looking forward to the most?

I'm going to go in a different direction with my choice:

PromINT12312.jpg

Prometheus is #1 on my must-see list this year, and June 8th can't come soon enough. The cast features a nice set of very solid actors and actresses, and Noomi Rapace should do a fine job with the lead role. I finally got a chance to watch The Girl Who Played With Fire and The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest, and Rapace does have some real promise as an actress in Hollywood.

The trailers for Prometheus look phenomenal, and they really do a good job of blending terror and action together. So far, the visuals look breathtaking, and I actually want to go the extra mile for 3D.

For now, Prometheus is being viewed as a prequel to Alien, but nothing is for sure, because Ridley Scott won't reveal too much. He's being VERY secretive, and nobody knows the real story just yet. Prometheus will take place in the Alien universe, but according to Scott, Prometheus will have its own mythology and ideas. I just hope they can sneak in a glimpse of an xenomorph, because this special appearance would provide a great moment for any fan of the Alien franchise.

Oh, and Ridley Scott could use another hit, desperately. We need to get forget about the massive piece of shit that was Robin Hood (2010), and Prometheus could provide a much needed spark for Scott's career.

These numbers really did surprise me at first, because I was expecting The Dark Knight Rises to be #1 on everyone's list. Although, according to Fandango, The Avengers ranks high on everyone's must-see list for this summer. The Dark Knight was a good film. Overrated by the masses, but still, it was a good film. Heath Ledger's Joker was just brilliant. But The Dark Knight probably set the bar too high for Nolan's grand finale. Batman fans are expecting some sort of epic masterpiece, but their unrealistic expectations for the third film might cause some problems. The Dark Knight Rises will receive lots of nitpicky criticisms, and a lot of people will be disappointed.

Yeah, Nolan's Batman films have provided some great memories, and Christopher Nolan did resurrect the Batman franchise, but we've all seen different types of Batman films before. The Avengers is something new, and fresh. It's an all star extravaganza of superheros, and the anticipation levels for moviegoers have gone through the roof. And who could blame them? The Avengers continues to ride a strong marketing push, and the promotional material has just been great. The marketing campaign for The Dark Knight Rises should kick into high gear, as we draw closer to July 20th, and this is Nolan's last Batman film, so the hype train for The Dark Knight Rises should pick up some speed soon enough.

The Avengers or The Dark Knight Rises will probably be #1 on most lists, but which summer release are you looking forward to the most?

I think there are a couple of reasons why Avengers has been leading the anticipation stakes.

For one, it's the curtain raiser of the summer blockbusters. The months between the Oscars and summer can be quite hit or miss in terms of film quality, with the only notable period of time for big releases being the Easter period though predominantly they are aimed at kids/families for the holidays. Now that Avengers has arrived, we know that there are more big films to follow shortly.

The bar has certainly been set at a high level given how well the film has been received critically and at the box-office, deservedly so in both cases.

The second and perhaps most important factor in the high anticipation levels for Avengers is that it's been hyped for a long time. Iron Man I believe had the first proper appearance of someone attached to S.H.I.E.L.D, and Tony Stark appeared in The Incredible Hulk to propose something to Bruce. Both these films came out in 2008, so the seed for the Avengers idea has been allowed to grow for 4 years. The S.H.I.E.L.D reference in Iron Man may not have clicked with the entire audience, but those that understood it then helped spread the buzz about an action ensemble film to compete with the best.
In the years in between, more and more seeds were planted until it was finally announced that the film would go-ahead.

Where the Batman series has been dark in tone, Avengers is ultimately an excuse to see 6 heroes team together to beat the inter-galactic piss out of some space goons. Sure there's a chance the world will end, and New York becomes a sandbox of destruction that would even make the Transformers say, "Hey, kids, settle down alright?" but it's pure popcorn fare.

The Batman series has been a journey of epic proportions and emotions. Ledger stole the second installment, but the story of Harvey Dent was incredibly dark and brutal. Here was a man who was fearless in his quest to halt and eliminate corruption, only to eventually be turned to the dark side and join with those he was trying to stop. The toll of doing the right thing only to be rewarded with heart-breaking loss is a hell of an emotional ride to even consider. The self-sacrifice of what the Batman figure stands for demonstrates the lengths to which Wayne will go to, to try and restore the balance of right and wrong that will bring some sort of peace to the populace of Gotham. This is some heavy material that Nolan has taken on, and done incredibly well with getting across.

The first two films were just fantastic to watch as Nolan really showed his confidence at shooting a truly majestic world with minimal CG effects, whereas Avengers is CG intensive.

As we move into June and see more trailers for DKR, the anticipation levels will certainly rise even further, of that I have no doubt. As I said, the series has been an engaging, emotional roller-coaster and the promise of the concluding installment will drive a lot of people to see it. Whether or not it does more business than TDK is tough to call, but I believe in Nolan's gang to deliver a satisfactory conclusion.

had to go with the avengers that looks really good im not big into the comic book movies but this one looks really good in fact im going with 2 of my friends this friday when it comes out to go see it in theaters! battleship looks pretty good too but ill probably stream that for free online

I went with The Dark Knight Rises even though I'm pretty excited for The Amazing Spider-Man. I loved the realism and grittiness Nolan brought to Batman Begins and The Dark Knight compared to other ones (although I love the first two Batman films) and I can't wait to see how he wraps it all up.

Avengers just doesn't do it for me. I'm not sure why but I have no interest in seeing Captain America or Hulk and Iron Man 2 has been sitting in my instant queue on Netflix for about 6 months if not longer and I haven't been able to bring myself to watch it. Also, I'm going to have to pass on a Bourne movie without Damon and I'm having a hard time justifying to myself that MIB 3 is worth the 10-12 dollars to see it in theaters. It might be a wait to rent deal. I am interested in Snow White and The Huntsman as compared to the shit fest that is the Julia Roberts Snow White and I'll probably end up seeing Dark Shadows in theaters considering I have a wife and it features Johnny Depp.

Fortunately the Avengers came out here before it did over there, so ive seen it! And as such (and being a comic book nerd) i'm gonna have to go with the batman! That being said i'm looking forward to seeing the avengers again!!

Easily the Dark Knight Rises. The first two movies are both candidates for the best comic book movie ever made, there is no reason to think that the third won't be just as good. The Dark Knight trilogy has a legit claim of being the best trilogy ever made if it's able to pull off a good movie with its closing act. The pieces are there, and I'm sure Nolan will deliver.

I'm going with Prometheus as my number 2 over the Avengers. Prometheus gets us back to the Alien franchise, and brings Ridley Scott back as well. The previews have been fantastic, and the cast looks phenomenal. I'm just not sure how the typical summer movie popcorn crowd is going to handle the pacing of a Scott movie. It might not be a commercial success, but I'm sure it will deliver.

The Avengers would be my #3. It should be a good popcorn movie, but I'm not expecting to be blown away by it.

Spiderman can suck my dick at this point.

The Dark Knight rises is #1 for me and nothing really comes close to that in terms of anticipation.

Besides TDKR...the new spiderman looks sick.

The Dark Knight Rises takes the number one spot with ease. Apparently it runs two hours and fifty minutes, and it's "the biggest thing" Nolan has done. The story should be epic, spanning more than eight years. Bane and whoever he ends up working with are looking to take over Gotham, break the Bat, etc. The trailer shows the bridges of Gotham being demolished, so it looks like the city will be cut off from the rest of the world. Obviously I have no idea how great the movie will actually be, but the story is there. Seems like the biggest and best story they've come up with yet. Combine that with Tom Hardy, maybe the best actor under 40, and it's all looking great.

Prometheus is #2, Avengers was #3.

I went with Dark Knight Rises. I only got into comics a while ago, then left them then got back into them again. I'm not a huge fan of Batman, Spider-man or the Avengers comics but I do like those types of films.

The Avengers

I did see the Avengers and thought it was ok. It tended to drag on a little bit for me and it was the Hulk and Iron Man who were more appealing to me in the film.

The Amazing Spider-Man

I will see The Amazing Spider-Man. I thought Andrew Garfield was great in The Social Network, but I'm not sure if I would have had cast him as the one to follow Tobey Maguire in the role. I thought Tobey Maguire did a great job in the films and was just let down by the writing and direction in the third film. The other thing is I'm not sure if wasn't too soon to start this film franchise again, but I guess if there's money to be made...

Promotheus

I don't have any idea about this film. Was it a book ? What it's based on ? From what I understand it was made by the guy who did Alien and they thought of it as an Alien prequel. I might check it out (more than likely I will), but it's not a must see for me.

The Dark Knight Rises.

This is the one I must see. This franchise has never failed to surpass my expectations. The first one was good, the second was better. The bar was set so high with the second that I find it hard to see the third one being better. Added to that it will be the last (supposedly) that Bale and Nolan in this series, I want to see how it ends. I was a little bit concerned when they announced Anne Hathaway as Catwoman. She's a solid actress, but I find her a peculiar choice. The addition of Bane to the villain roster, leaves me with more worries than anything else. But Nolan and Bale have done great work so far, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back