Your Greatest Sporting Story

Downward Spiral

I'm Not From Your Country
I'm sure everyone has had one of those days where they were a legend in whatever sporting field they occupied.

Mine was a few years back playing for the Under-16 Redbacks in the local junior cricket league.

Okay, so..

We'd sent the opposition in to bat. They managed a meagre 100 or so runs from their 25 overs. I managed to take 2 wickets in two balls during their innings (one was a top-of-the-off-stump bowling. Can't get much better than that).

Then, our team went out to bat. Taking it easy the first few overs, we managed to make about 20 with only the one wicket down. Then, the opposition started taking wickets. Lots of them. Our best batsmen were dismissed by screamers of catches for very low scores.

At about 6 for 30 off 15 overs, it was my time to bat. Myself, never the best batsman by any means, strolled out to face the confident opposition, searching for more of those wickets. Already out there was probably the worst batsman on our team.

After getting through some of their better bowlers for the first few overs, we had gotten an extra 10 or so runs for no loss. Then, the shit bowlers came on.

I managed to hit 3 or 4 fours within a couple of overs. Suddenly, they were on the ropes as we were about 7-70. Around 30 more runs to go off about 5 overs.

After going along steadily with my batting partner, we were within sight of the total at 7-90. Then, they brought on their best bowler in the second last over.

I charged at one of his balls, but unfortunately skied it up in the air. I took off running, hoping the fielder would drop it...and he did. Safe.

The last over...and I hit the winning runs with a couple of balls to spare.

So we'd gone from dire straits at 6-30 to win the game in the final over. I ended up with 37 not out, and that was my finest ever sporting moment.

Yes, so it was only a junior thing, but it was real to us, damn it!

I beat an all-county basketball player in one-on-one in middle school. Yeah, I gloated, even though, if I would have played him in high school, he would have killed me.

Baseball:

-As 12 year old threw complete game no-hitter w/ 16 strikeouts out of possible 18 outs.
-As junior in high school, went 2-3 off of a kid who was drafted to the majors out of high school.

Tennis:

-Senior in HS, county championship, #1 singles: 3 set match that ended after I was forced to retire from an inability to move. The cramping in my legs was so bad that I was lacking the ability to stop when I was running (couple times I ran into the fence steel cage match style). Funny thing is that even though I was limping around at like half speed, I was still playing awesomely and might have even been beating him. But I fell down one last time and couldn't get back up really without help...match over. (Don't worry, I got my vengeance a few weeks later when I beat the kid in sectional finals.)

-College- Division 3 Anderson University v. Division I Ball State: That's right. We played Ball State. And my doubles partner and I held our own with them, losing the match 4-8. For a comparison of how good Ball State was compared to us, I played a guy from Puerto Rico in my singles match. I don't think I probably won more than 7 points the entire match.

I'm sure everyone has had one of those days where they were a legend in whatever sporting field they occupied.

Mine was a few years back playing for the Under-16 Redbacks in the local junior cricket league.

Okay, so..

We'd sent the opposition in to bat. They managed a meagre 100 or so runs from their 25 overs. I managed to take 2 wickets in two balls during their innings (one was a top-of-the-off-stump bowling. Can't get much better than that).

Then, our team went out to bat. Taking it easy the first few overs, we managed to make about 20 with only the one wicket down. Then, the opposition started taking wickets. Lots of them. Our best batsmen were dismissed by screamers of catches for very low scores.

At about 6 for 30 off 15 overs, it was my time to bat. Myself, never the best batsman by any means, strolled out to face the confident opposition, searching for more of those wickets. Already out there was probably the worst batsman on our team.

After getting through some of their better bowlers for the first few overs, we had gotten an extra 10 or so runs for no loss. Then, the shit bowlers came on.

I managed to hit 3 or 4 fours within a couple of overs. Suddenly, they were on the ropes as we were about 7-70. Around 30 more runs to go off about 5 overs.

After going along steadily with my batting partner, we were within sight of the total at 7-90. Then, they brought on their best bowler in the second last over.

I charged at one of his balls, but unfortunately skied it up in the air. I took off running, hoping the fielder would drop it...and he did. Safe.

The last over...and I hit the winning runs with a couple of balls to spare.

So we'd gone from dire straits at 6-30 to win the game in the final over. I ended up with 37 not out, and that was my finest ever sporting moment.

Yes, so it was only a junior thing, but it was real to us, damn it!

I don't know what any of that means.

I was district champion is shot put and discus.

I was all district in football.

I was an all star in little league.

I was the MVP of my middle school basketball team.

I got offered a college scholarship to play football, but broke my ankle stepping in a hole.

Moral of the story - beating people is easy, avoiding holes in the ground in crucial.

5-a-side, cup final, a week after losing the league title on the last game of the season we played our rivals who pipped us to the league again. In the previous 6 meetings over two years, there were six red cards (more or less unheard of in 5aside, you had to punch someone for it to happen). Anyway, in EVERY game, team who scored first won.

Cup final, second half we were 1-0 down and I'd missed three easy chances. With three minutes to go I was played in again, and fourth time lucky struck my first goal of the season. There was pandemonium (mostly boos cos we were hated by the other teams there). I though I would have to take a penalty after I had scored, and since I had a habit of missing in shoot-outs, my euphoria quickly died down. Luckily, with the last kick of the game, a teammate slotted home the winner off my mis placed pass and we won the cup.

Yep, my greatest sporting moment was me messing up but getting lucky. Ah what a crap life I had.

Two come to mind here, both from high school and both from the same season. I played doubles tennis. With time restraints, there was no way we could play a full tennis game in the afternoon so the rules for the schools in our district was basically the first team to win a set by an advantage of two and whichever school has the most games at the end wins.

We were playing a school, Pendle Hill High School. They had 4 teams, 3 crap teams, 1 good team. I was in the second best team and we played their best team and we were down 2-5, so they had to win one more game to win the match. We came back and beat them 7-5 which we thought was pretty epic to come back from being way behind.

My faveourite time was when our school was playing a school called Greystanes High School and they had the NSW Doubles champions playing for them and they smashed our school in the previous years final (We were the two best schools) and we didn't want them to win this time. They asked us to rank our teams from best to worst, 1 being best, 4 being worst and we decided we'd rank our teams the other way around so we could use our worst teams to lose to their team of the nsw champions because they wouldnt have even beat their worst team that's how hopeless they were so we sacrificed them. We then used our good team to go against their good team and they lost but managed to get us a few games and make the score 11-16 in terms of ammounts of games per school, their way. It was then up to my team to defeat the other last team 6-0. If we let them get one game it would have been a draw, if we let them get more than one, we lost. We ended up beating them 6-0 to make the score, 17-16 to us and we won the competition. It felt so good and it felt like winning wimbledon because they were devestated, their umpire almost broke down crying.

Hmm... Well only one comes to mind because I really did nothing great with tennis.

Soccer in my junior year. I scored the winning goal against our rival team.

Yes sad, but I wasn't much for sports.

Two come to mind here, both from high school and both from the same season. I played doubles tennis. With time restraints, there was no way we could play a full tennis game in the afternoon so the rules for the schools in our district was basically the first team to win a set by an advantage of two and whichever school has the most games at the end wins.

We were playing a school, Pendle Hill High School. They had 4 teams, 3 crap teams, 1 good team. I was in the second best team and we played their best team and we were down 2-5, so they had to win one more game to win the match. We came back and beat them 7-5 which we thought was pretty epic to come back from being way behind.

My faveourite time was when our school was playing a school called Greystanes High School and they had the NSW Doubles champions playing for them and they smashed our school in the previous years final (We were the two best schools) and we didn't want them to win this time. They asked us to rank our teams from best to worst, 1 being best, 4 being worst and we decided we'd rank our teams the other way around so we could use our worst teams to lose to their team of the nsw champions because they wouldnt have even beat their worst team that's how hopeless they were so we sacrificed them. We then used our good team to go against their good team and they lost but managed to get us a few games and make the score 11-16 in terms of ammounts of games per school, their way. It was then up to my team to defeat the other last team 6-0. If we let them get one game it would have been a draw, if we let them get more than one, we lost. We ended up beating them 6-0 to make the score, 17-16 to us and we won the competition. It felt so good and it felt like winning wimbledon because they were devestated, their umpire almost broke down crying.

That's freaking bush. That's bush league. Cheating. I hated when teams did that.

Soccer/english football:

We were playing in a one day tournament, Involving about 16 team's, And I was given best player at it.

For the first half, I'd play in attack, And in the second I'd be in goal. But there was one game (semi-final), Where I scored like 4 goal's, And then half time came, So I dropped back into goal, And score was 4-3, I let in a tap in, Via a two on one, So it went to 4-4, With 2 min's two go I scored from my goal area, Because the twat waffle was off his line, So I dipped it over his head. With 30 second's to go, A defender gave away a penalty, Needless to say, I made the save of a lifetime, I got down to it in the bottom lefthand corner.

I once blew a game in Little League just so we could play on the road throughout the playoffs. My team was 6 and 0 away and 1 and 5 at home. Which is weird, all little league games are played at the same field. I guess we just liked the left side better. My awesome plan worked, we won the ship... wooo

I wrestled 3 years in High School, but since a) I wasn't a great wrestler, and b) I had a lot of good wrestlers on my team, I didn't see a lot of action. Well, my senior year I FINALLY saw varsity action, going 1-1 in the 189-lb weight class (despite weighing 168), leading up to the final match of my HS career at 171 lbs.

In the first 30 seconds of the match, my opponent went fo a really bad shot. I blocked it, but in the process, his forehead smashed my nose. I was stunned, and he took my leg. Since he wasn't very strong, I didn't fall, instead motioning to the ref that something was wrong. He stopped the match to check, and suddenly, blood began to POUR from both nostrils. Everywhere. The blood clock started.

Well, cotton nose plugs in, back in the match. I breathe through my nose when I wrestle, so I blew them out. Ref stopped it again, new plugs in.

I took the sum bitch down (and was treating him like he stole something from me) when the 1st period ended. My coach took two of the nose plugs, folded them in half,and shoved them up each nostil. He then put tape around my head to keep them in.

30 second later, I pinned the fucker.

Turned out I had my nose broken in two places, and a concussion.

But I pinned the fucker. And ended my HS Wrestling career 2-1 Varsity and 15-5 JV.

I was once doing my usual thing during a football match, standing around playing with my balls, I saw an oppertunity to kick the ball. I have no skill, but I can kick really had. So with a run and a punt I kicked the ball, Leo Parkes never saw it coming. He was out cold, and it was the best deflected goal in history. From near the half way line no less.

Getting my first hole in one in golf, I was 15 years old and it was actually a bad shot, completely miss hit it but fortunately it found the cup. Couldn't believe it, fortunately for me I had 3 witnesses with me. Still have the ball from that shot.

This is another favorite moment not because of something that I did good but just something that happened. I tell this story all the time to people, that is that in high school I got dunked on by Jason Richardson at one of the pickup tournaments I played at. For those of you that don't know Jason plays in the NBA now and he actually won a couple NBA dunk contests which is why I thought it was something cool.

During a Football(the irish kind) mini-league I was a goalkeeper. 3 Teams were tied - mine and two more. With a minute left, it was all level. The team we were playing against were top. If it was a draw, the other two teams got through. If we won we got through and the other two teams would have to have a play off. They had just scored to level it. I was pretty much sure we were going out of the league. I saw our coach looking at his watch, ready to blow his whistle. So I gave the ball a bloody big kick.

The ball flew over the pitch bounced and went in. It was 3-2. The whistle went soon after and we went to the final, which we won. It was made even better, that I, the resident fat dorky piece of crap had just gotten us through to the final. I got a bit more respect after that.

I scored in the FA cup final in the 93rd minute against Man U the other year.

I hit a cricket ball over my house and hit my sister on the head on the other side. I missed two cars and two windows, but got her on the head. Awesome

With roughly 2 seconds left on the clock. 5 Receiver set. On like the 14-15 yd line. Almost lost the snap, then almost encountered a huge amount of pressure. Pump fake. Throw. TD in the back of the Endzone to win the game.

Yeah.. .. I didn't do that, but Jake Delhomme probably got a lot of ass that night, because it was one hell of a great fucking play. :lmao:

Seriously though, the only great sports moment I ever had that was worth anything was for Soccer.

Somehow with the game tied, I broke through their line and they didn't have any Fullbacks for some reason. Their Goalkeeper came out to attempt stopping me, instead of staying back. I just faked a kick to one side, put it in the other, and that was the last huge play of the game. (some time was remaining, but not enough to amount to anything)

Outside of that, I never played Sports in School. I've played with friend's, but I'm assuming those games don't count. :lmao: If they did, I could write a book on all the "great moments".

In the tournament gym finals of soccer, I won the game with my first goal of the season on the final shootout.

I have a lot of great memories in baseball, even as recent as a year ago, and hopefully have more to come, but my greatest was when i was 12 I threw a perfect game against a team who's coach who said I wasn't good enough to play on his team.

I intercepted a pass in 5th grade football. I scored 2 points in 5th grade basketball. Last but not least, I've destroyed the Pulaski county Cougars quarterback in a fight. JT "the machine gun" Edney was out cold after two punches and a kick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back