• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Your favourite 'Special Guest Star'

Dowdsy McDowds

Sally was here
Simple enough question here, I'd like to know who your favourite special guest star in a television series has been and why?

There are a few categories of SGS' so if you want to pick one for each category feel free. The categories I'm thinking of are;
Popular stars at the time whose appearance would perhaps spike interest in the show, such as George Clooney and Noah Wyle from ER popping up in Friends as a pair of doctors (though not the doctors from ER) or Johnny Depp appearing in the final episode of British sketch-show The Fast Show.

Self-parodying performances. The British show 'Extras' was pretty much centred on this as actors such as Sir Ian McKellen and Daniel Radcliffe took the piss out of themselves, but then there's also James Woods in Family Guy, Tom Jane and Carl Weathers in Arrested Development and Al Gore in 30 Rock to name a few.

Finally, there are long-running appearances throughout a popular show as a character in that universe, such as Brian Cox in Deadwood, John Lithgow in Dexter or Glenn Close in The Shield.

(If anyone can think of more kinds of categories, let it be known! These are just the only ones I could think of at the moment.)

My pick would fall into the long-running appearance category, and it is Forest Whitaker in season 5 of The Shield.

shield-whitaker33.jpg

In season 5, Forest Whitaker was introduced as an Infernal Affairs investigator, Jon Kavanaugh, whose purpose it was to take down Vic Mackey once and for all. His progression through the series was astounding as he started off looking shaggy, overweight but very friendly. The friendly veneer was his way of attempting to get people to open up to him by playing the 'good cop/bad cop' shtick single-handedly as he unearthed more and more dirt on Mackey.
After an IA sting on Mackey backfires immensely, Kavanaugh who had been nothing but a picture of calm and precision in his job, explodes in a scene of rage as he destroys a hotel room he has been working from that shows a complete flip-side of this character.
Over the course of the season, Kavanaugh loses weight, shaves his head and grooms his beard, subsequently starting to resemble Mackey outwardly as the obsession now manifests itself in a physical form.
Knowing the Strike Team of which Mackey is a part of are a tight bunch, he targets Mackey's wife Corrine as a weak link and plays the 'good cop/bad cop' routine with her several times as he gets more and more obsessed with Mackey. This obsession ultimately proves fruitless in bringing Vic down, but some of Kavanaugh's actions lead him to cross the line he swore he would never do with some terrible consequences after the fact.

sons-of-anarchy-season-4-first-look-danny-trejo.jpg

This is an easy one for me, the winner of this one goes to Danny Trejo's current character on Sons Of Anarchy as "Romeo". Trejo's character, Romero "Romeo" Parada is a former Mexican Military Commando now working for the Galindo drug cartel and playing sort of the middleman between the cartel and the Sons. Now at first I was just happy to see him on one episode but now that he's doing a few I absolutely love it, not just that I get to enjoy Danny Trejo but his character is a total badass and I am very happy they picked up some extra star power this season because outside of the regular guys from the show he's my favorite character.

John Lithgow in season 4 of Dexter was just bloody brilliant in my eyes, he played Trinity to perfection and was a perfect foil for Dexter Morgan...

I also enjoyed Jonny Lee Miller (I think thats how it is spelt) in season 5 of Dexter, he was nowhere near as good as Trinity but the character and what he had done to get where he was, was well in a way chilling. That one person had such control over so many peoples lives is what captivated me in a way into appreciating the character...

Danny Trejo in SOA at the moment has proved to be enjoyable and I can't wait to see what he brings to the table as the season gets the end, which is usually when SOA goes balls to the wall...

John Lithgow in season 4 of Dexter was just bloody brilliant in my eyes, he played Trinity to perfection and was a perfect foil for Dexter Morgan...

I also enjoyed Jonny Lee Miller (I think thats how it is spelt) in season 5 of Dexter, he was nowhere near as good as Trinity but the character and what he had done to get where he was, was well in a way chilling. That one person had such control over so many peoples lives is what captivated me in a way into appreciating the character...

Danny Trejo in SOA at the moment has proved to be enjoyable and I can't wait to see what he brings to the table as the season gets the end, which is usually when SOA goes balls to the wall...

I haven't seen any of the newest season of SOA, but hearing Trejo is in the mix is awesome news. I take it he's mixed in with the Mayans?

While Miller was indeed great in Dexter (albeit it was weird hearing him not do a Scottish accent, he does a great one!) I think Julia Stiles edged him in that series. Her character goes through so much and was a good partner for Dexter in that season both for helping him with what happened in the season before <no spoilers> and move on in this season. She's one of those actors who delivers consistently solid performances and I was surprised but thrilled to see her for the whole season.

Cheers for the responses guys.

Lithgow in Dexter, hands down. His character was, in many ways, Dexter in the future, only much sicker and twisted.

Season's 1 and 2 of Dexter are, in my eyes, excellent, but I was never quite sure with season 3. Season 4 brought it back up to par and beyond, and the final two episodes, especially the very end...Urgh. Brilliant. And the majority of it was down to Lithgow and his absolutely fantastic performances as a truly brilliant villain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back