• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Your favorite John Cena match

WHAT?

Dark Match Jobber
I was just watching John Cena Vs. Rob Van Dam at ONS '06 and started thinking about the other great matches he's put on.
So what are your favorite John Cena matches?

If this is the wrong place for this thread I'm sorry.

Favorite Cena match? That's like answering your favorite cancer, but whatevs.

Definitely the hour long match he had with HBK after Wrestlemania a couple years ago, it was actually watchable... and he lost which is a huge plus

OK, first I would like to say to the people who are gonna reply to this thread even though they are not Cena fan's, Whether you like cena or not, they guy has been a part of MANY memorable matches over the years. Putting on an Exciting Wrestling match doesn't mean you have to pull out every submission and Moonsault variation in the Book, the matches he has been in have been great due to the Raw power and Excitement.

I am not cena fanboy by any means, but that's just my Two cent's.

Now on to my answer.....

My favorite John cena matches are most likely His match with Shawn michaels at Wrestlemania, The 1 hour match he had with Michaels on RAW, and His debut match against Kurt angle. All of these matches Cena truly gave it his all, People complain so much about his "Five moves of doom" that they never let themselves get wrapped up in the Excitement. It doesn't matter how many moves you know how to do, it matter's on how well you perform them, and cena performs his style very well and his matches whether we like it or not are one of the only times of the night that the Audience actually wakes up.

My opinion, of course.

What? Favourite Cena match? And there's somebody here who's saying he's been a part of many "memorable" matches? Which memorable match? Apart from his 2 matches with Shawn Michaels in 2007 (Wrestlemania and the 1 hour match on Raw), he has not been in any memorable match. Which was his other memorable match? The stupid matches with Orton in which they share the titles like tennis balls? Or his stupid matches with JBL or Sheamus? Since Cena has been in the title scene (2005), the most memorable feuds have been Taker/ Orton, HHH/ Batista, Taker/ Batista/ Taker/ Edge, Shawn/ Jericho, Punk/ Hardy, Taker/ Michaels and now Taker/ Kane. Cena has not been in any memorable feud or match. All his Wrestlemania matches have never been the best match of the night and somebody like Taker or Shawn Michaels has always overshadowed Cena's match.

2005's best match was Angle vs Shawn, 2006's was probably Shawn vs Vince or that popular 6 man tag team match in ROH which had Dragon King, 2007's was Taker vs Batista (Wrestlemania or HIAC) although this is the only year when PWI thinks Cena was in a good match but that's mainly due to Shawn, 2008's was Taker vs Edge or Shawn vs Flair, 2009's and 2010's was hands-down Taker vs Shawn (whereas Cena's matches at Wrestlemania sucked the last 2 years). It sucks that he is the top man on Raw, given the fact that he cannot produce one match-of-the-year worthy performance.

It looks like you've watched wrestling only for the last 5 years. If you'd seen it for the last 20 years or more like some of us here have, you'd never call any of Cena's matches legendary or memorable.

Il go for 2 that hasan't come up yet but always sticks in my mind!

Kurt Angle vs John Cena - No Mercy 2003 - Great match and build up, must see for those who don't think Cena can wrestle!

John Cena vs. Big Show - Wrestlemania XX - Granted this was no classic, but i think this shows that Cena was ready to go in to the mid card and i believe this was his time that he started getting way over with the fans!

to all the above posts who are hating on cena: im pretty sure the question of the thread was "what is your favourite cena match" not "has cena ever had a good match"
i'd have to say my favourite match with cena was his match against big show at wm 20
because it was the first match i ever saw
others i liked were the triple threat match at wrestlemania with Triple H and Randy Orton and at elimination chamber 2009 with edge, cena, rey, kane, jericho and mike knox

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

There is only ONE answer to this thread... The answer is NONE!!!

Let me eloborate...

Noboby ever liked that white boy who wished he was black rapper... Nobody likes SUPER CENA now!!! Super Cena completely KILLED the Nexus because GOD FORBID SUPER CENA LOSE AT SUMMERSLAM!!!

Now you are gonna tell me that Cena is the face of the WWE... Then you are gonna compare him to Hogan and Stone Cold Steve Austin... Cena is just doing the same things that Hogan and Austin did, right? WRONG!!! Super Cena hasn't even come CLOSE to drawing the kind of money, ppv buyrates, merchandise sales, & television ratings that Hogan and Austin did... So how on God's green earth can you compare Cena to Hogan or Austin???

I know this has been off subject, but until Cena actually draws like a top guy should draw, then everything he does is a waste of time... This would include his matches... This is the BIGGEST reason why Cena has never had a good match...

if you have nothing constructive to add to this thread then shut up. it's not that hard. at the moment cena is doing more wrestling that anybody else in that ring, he's throwing out fucking drop kicks for god sake! there are a lot worse wrestlers in the WWE. he HAS had memorable matches in his career, on his debut he narrowly lost to kurt angle, he had 2 incredible matches with shawn michaels in 2007, NWO 2005 he had a fantastic match against kurt angle to get to the main event of wrestlemania, the 2008 royal rumble was a fantastic match, the second his music played the roof blew off MSG.

oh and all you guys who keep crying in their pillows at night because "super cena" has won again, think to your self, how much has he ACTUALLY WON THIS YEAR!!! he has had his ass kicked by nexus 4 or 5 times, but god forbid that he wins won of them fights! of course he is going to win one of them, the nexus are rookies, the majority of them are either going to job in the the WWE or receive there future endeavours.

oh and to the guy who said he can't produce a match of the year... he WON the PWI match of the year in 2007 for his 1 hour epic against shawn michaels. but i took a quick look at that list and do you know how many times steve austin has been on that list? ONCE! cena has god knows how many years left in his career.

Easy, his TLC Match with Edge at Unforgiven 2007, im surprised that nobody has mentioned that yet. That was actually a pretty good match. And for those who say: "Uh Cena has never been in a good match" Oh C'mon!! I dont like him either, but i must admit that he has had some good matches. vs Edge vs Michaels and vs Angle forexample

Easy, his TLC Match with Edge at Unforgiven 2007, im surprised that nobody has mentioned that yet. That was actually a pretty good match. And for those who say: "Uh Cena has never been in a good match" Oh C'mon!! I dont like him either, but i must admit that he has had some good matches. vs Edge vs Michaels and vs Angle forexample

It was Unforgiven 2006 but that's my favorite Cena match too. I completely agree with the other stuff you said too.

Now I'm not a Cena fan by any means but to say that the guy has never had a good or memorable match is crazy. Back in 2005-mid 2007 he had some pretty good matches and although he was winning a lot he wasn't Super Cena yet so you could like him a little more. Some of you guys just make me laugh, maybe they should just fire Cena and have Christian and Goldust be the faces of the company...

My god. All the unnecessary hate. 5+ years, and you claim not ONE memorable match? Now I can't really comment on the question, because honestly, I kind of got out of WWE during a lot of Cena's run as the face of the company. Nothing against WWE or Cena or anything, just life happened. So I really haven't seen too much. I will say that during the time I wasn't watching I was aware that Cena had become Supercena. The few times I was able to watch he ALWAYS had the belt. Or at least it seemed as such. And I grew tired of him without ever even actually watching him. But to say he hasn't had a "good" match in 5+ years, especially with him being the champion so often and all those PPV's and championship matches with good people, is ludacris! You all are always going to hate on him, mostly because why? I get the fake excuses. "5 moves of doom" "Supercena". I agree with all the reasons why you hate on him, but I can't bring myself to hate him. Basically his boss, Vince McMahon, has said "all you have to do is this this and this" and he did EXACTLY what he was told. He's on top of the world and its not because he can't wreslte. I've seen him do good in the past. I was never and am not really a Cena fan, but I am also not jumping into forum's based on "I like Cena" just to basically call people stupid for saying "i like cena". For God sake's its a show, its entertainment. Just shut up. I appreciate you few who actually had a match in mind. Unfortunately I can't add my own because I have not viewed as much as I could have.
And before the people who hate on Cena want to hate on me for "not seeing him so you don't know how bad he is" or whatever you're gonna say, I have seen enough from him to know he is capable of memorable matches.
Hulk Hogan had memorable matches with basically the same repitoire.
Just enjoy the show and shut up.

For me it has to be John Cena vs Brock Lesnar at Backlash 2003, this was probably his last true match as a heel and the storyline building up to this was great. I think this was the last time I actually wanted him to win a match.

i actually have a few mentions for this post. personally, i think he's had several memorable matches, among those listed and some not already listed.

1 & 2. two matches against HBK, at Mania and in London for one hour.
3 & 4. two matches against Angle, for his debut and for the main event spot at Mania (Unforgiven or No Mercy, can't remember which).
5. parking lot brawl on Smackdown against Eddie Guerrero.
6. parking lot brawl against JBL.
7. TLC against Edge.
8. against Bobby Lashley. two huge power guys going at it for the title.
9. against Batista, first time, at Summerslam. the two biggest faces and two biggest draws of the last 5 years slugging it out.

the question was "favorite" or "memorable". i didn't see "wrestling clinic" listed anywhere in the OP. whether Cena used 5 moves or 50, these were all entertaining matches to me.

This thread is not about his best match..it's about YOUR favourite Cena match, so if you don't like any of his matches, I have no idea to why some of you people above posted!!

Anyway, my favourite would have to be the match vs. HBK at WrestleMania 23, it was a good match and mostly because HBK was in the match, it was a good match from start to finish IMO, and HBK losing was kind of a let down although he didn't need a belt, but it was good to see a week later HBK winning in the hour long match!

Honourable Mention would haveto be the TLC match against Edge!

Ok, so this is my first post, (Though ive been a fan off the site for a while now) so don't be to hard on me.

Anyway anybody who is saying that he never put on any memorable matches are stupid, I'll be honest I'm a Cena hater, I'm sick of him and I'm sick of his superhero gimmick, but Lets be honest he has put on alot of memorable matches in his WWE career, as said already his matches with HBK in 2007 were great, his 2006 feud with Edge was great for me, because Summerslam 06 was the first PPV I ever bought and his Feud with Orton in 2007 just stands out in my mind for some reason, it became such a heated feud after orton punted Cena's dad.
So he has had plenty of great matches and people need to think harder if it takes that to realise it.
Just my Opinion.

If you have been bitching about Cena for the past five years and don't have at least one favorite match from him, then you haven't been watching him for the past five years. Start watching wrestling instead of reading what other people think about it and you might actually be able to make your own opinion, you know.

Umaga vs Cena at New Year's Revolution was a great match and all, but I am gonna go bias and say that Cena's stuff with Wade Barrett and Nexus has been my favorite.

- Summerslam 2010 7-on-7 match. I personally don't give a damn about Daniel Bryan, so he wasn't the highlight for me. I freakin' loved the way Wade portrayed himself as the leader. I don't get why people hate the ending. Wade was greedy and lead to Gabriel being eliminated. Then Wade charged at Cena in a fit of rage, thus Cena took advantage of the rookie's mistake.

- Night of Champions 2010. I wanted Wade to win, but the match itself was like awesome. The story and the action in the ring is the reason why guys who "only do five moves" are in the main event and tools like Morrison and Kofi are squandering in the mid-card. The crowd absolutely ate this match up like it was dinner. Wade was clearly protected by not really doing anything, but the way Wade and Cena cost each other the match was great.

I really enjoyed Cena and Triple H at Night of Champions 2008. Not a fan of his but that match was really really good and credit where due.

I also liked Cena vs Edge at Summerslam 2006. Those are the only two great matches I think he's ever been in. He just looked foolish in his matches with HBK.

Im not a Cena fan by a long shot and i HATE Cena's character. but my favorite match from him, i had a couple.

1. John Cena vs Kurt Angle 2003 No Mercy. He had a REALLY nice move set and actually had unpredictable matches back then.
2. John Cena vs The Undertaker 2003 Vengence.
He put on a couple good matches with Chris Benoit and Eddie Guerrero too back in 2003.
119austinHHH_display_image.jpg

Of course the oh so cool Cena haters claim he hasn't had any memorable matches in his eight years with the company. People wonder why the Cena hater's opinions are not respected on this forum. It's because you can't be impartial. It's fine not to like the guy, but to say he hasn't had one memorable match is just stupid.

A few good choices have already been listed. My favorite is probably Cena vs. Edge from Unfogiven 2006. I think the Last Man Standing match against Umaga from Royal Rumble 2007 is worth mentioning too. That was a pretty good match that never seems to get recognized. Also his first match against Triple H at WM22 was pretty solid. The crowd and the atmosphere helped make the match, but that's what pro wrestling is all about.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

There is only ONE answer to this thread... The answer is NONE!!!

Let me eloborate...

Noboby ever liked that white boy who wished he was black rapper... Nobody likes SUPER CENA now!!! Super Cena completely KILLED the Nexus because GOD FORBID SUPER CENA LOSE AT SUMMERSLAM!!!

Now you are gonna tell me that Cena is the face of the WWE... Then you are gonna compare him to Hogan and Stone Cold Steve Austin... Cena is just doing the same things that Hogan and Austin did, right? WRONG!!! Super Cena hasn't even come CLOSE to drawing the kind of money, ppv buyrates, merchandise sales, & television ratings that Hogan and Austin did... So how on God's green earth can you compare Cena to Hogan or Austin???

I know this has been off subject, but until Cena actually draws like a top guy should draw, then everything he does is a waste of time... This would include his matches... This is the BIGGEST reason why Cena has never had a good match...

:rolleyes:

Probably shouldn't have posted since it is off subject. There are other places for you to spew your hate.

The stupidity in this thread is mind-numbing. If you don't like Cena, don't post here. End of story.

I'm not the biggest Cena fan, but he's has had several really good matches. His TLC with Edge, his Last Man Standing with Umaga, his Summerslam match against Batista among others.

But my personal favorite his his hour-long match with HBK back in 07. I thought their Wrestlemania match was good, but the rematch was better in every way. Great back-and-forth, told a better story and wasn't as predicable since the title wasn't on the line. I throughly enjoyed it.

I have two that stand out for me. I respect what John Cena has done and think when it is all said and done he might be in the top 10 ever, maybe top 5. Not a huge fan of his but you gotta see the allure.

Cena v. Umaga - Royal Rumble
This match match might have been Umaga's first loss, don't quite remember. Umaga getting the FU on the steel steps and getting the STFU with the top rope were great visuals. Definately a great match.

Cena v. Eddie Guerrero - Parking Lot Brawl (Smackdown)
I will say that I have some bias as I am an EG mark but this match was intense, entertaining, and did spots that I have never seen before. A fun match. Even Cena's pre-match rap on EG was funny.

I probably have favorite matches of most wrestlers. I'm a fan.

I think Cena's match with Umaga at Royal Rumble 07 was freakin awesome. That was the best match i had seen him put on at that point. Not only the physical match, but the emotions and spots were great.

its funny how everyone says that they dont like cena because he uses 5 moves but if you think about it everyone uses 5 moves to win their match.

Favorite Cena match? That's like answering your favorite cancer, but whatevs.

Definitely the hour long match he had with HBK after Wrestlemania a couple years ago, it was actually watchable... and he lost which is a huge plus

john cena won that match....

thats my fav match of his too by the way it was great back and forth action beteen both men. i actually hope he faces taker at this years wm

His Mania match with HBK. When you're facing the Showstopper at WrestleMania, it's almost impossible not to have a memorable match, regardless of wrestling ability. Also one of his PPV matches with Umaga, I forget which. They had great chemistry for some reason.

Edit: It was Royal Rumble 07.

I actually think 2 of Cena's best matches have been ones when he's been a heel during his face run, vs RVD at One Night Stand, great match. And in Toronto against Edge, TLC, that was an awesome match, with the FU off the ladder being 1 of my favourite spots of all time.

Also surprised that noone has mentioned the last man standing match with Edge, think it was Backlash last year. I really enjoyed that one.

I'm no Cena fanboy, but some of the matches he's put on are really phenomenal.

I'm big on his match at the 2007 Royal Rumble with Umaga. That was one damn good Wrestling match. There was blood, length, action, ring demolishment and overall entertainment. One of Cena's best matches, it's just a shame about the ending. I think they could have made it abit more satisfying, although I understand what they were going for when they 'choked out the monster'.

I also enjoyed his match at the 2008 Great American Bash with JBL. It was a more hardcore Cena match and I admired that about him back then, not just because of the time period and that there were more rating-based oppurtunites at having matches as hardcore as that, but because Cena knew how to pull it off. Hardcore or Core, Cena's good in his matches.

His match against Randy Orton at Breaking Point 2009 was a great match too. It showed that Cena was not only portrayed as unbreakable and that he wouldn't ever give up, but the fact that he could legitematally take a real harsh beating. How many guys would you see handcuffed to the ring post and take shots to the abdomen with a kendo stick without serious injury? That match was one of the best I've seen, along with the following Bragging Rights 2009 Ironman match. That match, despite it's length, was action-packed, fun to watch and entertaining. I can't recall seeing Cena put on a match like that.

In 2004, the best of 5 series he contended in with Booker T for the Undisputed United States championship was a clinic. That series had me anitcipating the next match, time after time. Truly a spectacle to bare witness to. I applaud Cena here. Nothing more than he deserves.

Lastly, my favourite John Cena match has to be the match with Randy Orton and Triple H at Wrestlemania 24. Despite his loss, that match was an incredible match. A true Wrestlemania moment, I might add. One of the best Wrestlemania matches I've seen, and I believe it was better than his previous Wrestlemania 20, 21, 22 and 23 matches. Alot of Cena's matches are great, some of them aren't, but the good deffenitly outweighs the bad when it comes to a straight up Cena match. He knows how to put on a clinic, and fight through injury.

John Cena deserves to be where he is right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back