X Divison and Tag Team Division Are Ruling the Show

tablekorner

The AWESOME! World Champion
Ever since the Hulk Hogan and Eric Bischoff "hostile take over" I've been losing faith in TNA. Not it's superstars or matches, but it's story lines have been getting really bad. Terrible feuds that lead to one or two terrible matches. Now Eric talking about removing some of the pay per views, and is it only me or does it seem like they are traveling a lot more then they use to?

What's keeping most of my interest every Thursday night is the X Division and the Tag Team Division. The best matches lately have been happening between teams such as Beer Money, Ink Ink, MCMG, and Gen Me. Wrestlers such as Kazarian, Chris Sabin, Alex Shelly, Jeremy Buck, Max Buck, Robert Roode, and James Storm have been putting on some of my favourite matches from the past couple of months.

It seems to me that TNA should be putting more focus on the X Division and Tag Team Division. I'm not trying to say that the main event's are crap, or I dislike the top dog superstars. It's just that lately the story lines of them are dragging into their matches and kind of ruining some of their matches. These guys in the X Division and Tag Division put on such fast paced action it's never disappointing to watch, even when Gen Me steps in I'm cheering for them as well as the faces. It's like they improvise new moves on the spot, right now those two divisions are the most entertaining in my personal opinion.

One thing that's hurting the X Division is that the talent just simply isn't there anymore. The glory days of Styles, Joe, Daniels and a lot of others that used the X Division to put TNA on the map are gone. Guys like Kazarian, Jay Lethal & Robbie E just can't compete and don't have what it takes to carry the X Division. Plus, on top of that, TNA has really just let the X Division go as far as significance goes. For example, there's an Ultimate X match at Victory Road this Sunday and there's been almost no hype or build for it. Five years ago, this sort of match would have gotten every bit as much of a build up and feeling of importance as the main event. In 2011, however, Ultimate X has fallen to the ranks of being just another unimportant gimmick match and that's just plain sad.

As for the tag team scene, it's really been sort of weak for a while if you look at things closely. It's really only been the Motorcity Machine Guns and Beer Money that've been carrying the tag team picture in TNA for a while. Team 3D has broken up, thankfully, the British Invasion is broken up and were never all that great as a team in my view and all you've really got left are Generation Me & Ink Inc. Neither of those teams are anywhere near the same level as Beer Money or the Guns, not even close. They still have a long way to go before they're in the same league.

Jack hammer is totally right the X Division isn't as good as it once was and the tag division is remarkably small considering most people view it and the X Division as the backbone of the entire company?

Both divisions even now have some class acts but not enough to tear down the house week in and out and completely overhaul the WHC, which is the reason why i think not enough money or time has gone into said divisions because the new "heads" are trying to build the WHC.

For me you do not know how much I'd mark out if ROH joined TNA and took out all the older lot who don't draw (stick pictures -.-) and only keep the older stars that can draw to promote (i.e. Sting, Flair, Hogan stay backstage and people like Anderson stay; but you Tommy Dreamer...soz). If this did happen (which is quite literally as likely as pigs flying... what Vicky Guerrero is on a plane!! Jk lol) both the X Division and Tag division would have to overhaul the WHC because both companies have some phucking amazing talent...

@ Jack-Hammer

I kind of agree with you on some things. Yes I miss the days of Styles, and Daniels. Joe is more fit for world title running's, NOT feuding with Pope for no reason. But I think that Kazarian, Jay Lethal, and Robbie E (If he would lose his dumb gimmick(or at least Cookie...)) are all good. They did promote the Ultimate X match between Gen Me, Kaz, and Robbie E. It was one of two promos last night on TNA. The other being the Sting vs Immortal promo. The promo was actually awesome.

Generation Me ran all the matches they had against Motor City Machine Guns. They are just as talented as MCMG, they may be newer and not as experienced but they have great in ring performance. My top three matches in TNA last year:
1. Angle vs Anderson
2. Angle vs Styles
3. Any match with MCMG vs Gen Me
Ink Ink may not be as quick and agile but there still have a great dynamic. There matches are almost always enjoyable, my favourite match from last nights addition of TNA impact was Gen Me vs Ink Ink. I think it towered over the rest, including the main event tag match. They may have along way to go before they reach heights such as MCMG and Beer Money (Who are two of my favourite tag teams) but they still have talent, great in ring performance, and are extremely entertaining.

@ Dzone

Personally I believe the show could be make it if the X Division and Tag Team Division were pumped a lot more. They are pretty much letting them go down the drains, even though they are the attention grabbers of the show. Hardy vs Styles vs Flair? WTF. I'm growing tired of all the bad booking, I still enjoy a handful of the matches. But I'm mostly getting my TNA fix of entertainment from the two lower divisions.

X-division is weaker now than before since most of the great talent they had are in the main event/world title scene.

However..there have been talks about more AAA wrestlers coming to TNA (most would be X-division type wrestlers) what better way to make Hernandez turn on Immortal than to say he liked AAA better and brings them into TNA with him to fued with everyone and every title?

then you will have a great mix of more tag teams, X-divisions.. and hell even Sarita and Rosita could join them as well to take over the Knockout division (another TNA standout division).

it will tie everything up nicely.. and would appear to be the plan since the start. When they sent him down to AAA.

I think the Tag Team division is the best they got.. we have mentioned Gen Me, Ink Inc, Beer Money, and MCMG.. but what about the comedy that is Eric Young/Orlando jordan? Gunner & murphy? and hopefully London brawling coming back soon (I hope) they are all quality good Tag teams with a good niche. but Beer Money is superior than all of them....

Beer Money can have good matches with ALL of them.. they know how to slow down things..

MCMG are great.. but I don't think they would mesh well with Ink Inc.. something about that match up doesn't fit to me.. I LOVE MCMG though.

As for the X-division.... I think better days are coming.. ;)

@ Dzone

Personally I believe the show could be make it if the X Division and Tag Team Division were pumped a lot more. They are pretty much letting them go down the drains, even though they are the attention grabbers of the show. Hardy vs Styles vs Flair? WTF. I'm growing tired of all the bad booking, I still enjoy a handful of the matches. But I'm mostly getting my TNA fix of entertainment from the two lower divisions.

No doubt the matches are entertaining and still are and I think will always be the backbone of TNA and the reason most people watch it, but who ever is "head" at the moment evidently wants to push the WHC more than both of these epic divisions that are engraved in TNA's history already. I'd say go all out and make the X Divsion and the Tag Division your headline, screw Hardy and Flair keep them as backstage promoters or managers. Do what Heyman said is basically what I'm coming to... but not "throw away everyone over 40" keep the ones who draw backstage build the Tag and X Division.

To be brutally honest I think the talent is just about there already IF they could say bring Homicide from ROH and people like Sonjay Dutt back. Not ALL the old X division/tag wrestlers just the ones who people miss (LAX ftw =[). They have people like Crimson and Red both of which fit in the tag division AND the X division, then you get Ink Inc. who are not the greatest but are good enough, then Gunner & Murphy and I must say I'm impressed although they can't pose to save their life. Then on top of that a future returning Wolfe/Magnus tag team then it looks much better considering ALL the wrestling are completely interchange-able with the X Divsion =]

@ Jack-Hammer

I kind of agree with you on some things. Yes I miss the days of Styles, and Daniels. Joe is more fit for world title running's, NOT feuding with Pope for no reason. But I think that Kazarian, Jay Lethal, and Robbie E (If he would lose his dumb gimmick(or at least Cookie...)) are all good. They did promote the Ultimate X match between Gen Me, Kaz, and Robbie E. It was one of two promos last night on TNA. The other being the Sting vs Immortal promo. The promo was actually awesome.

Kazarian is the John Morrison of TNA. He's just fine when he wrestles but keep him off the mic as much as possible. Kazarian has primarily been an X Division wrestler his entire time in TNA and was around even during the glory days. Even then, however, he was always outshined by guys like Chris Sabin, AJ Styles and Christopher Daniels. As for Jay Lethal, the guy's been on a downward spiral since his feud with Ric Flair ended. He's been an X Division champ 6 times and he's not going any further than where he's been. He's just been stagnant now for months. I've seen nothing even remotely special about Robbie E. From what I've seen of him in the ring, he's average at best and his gimmick is beyond annoying. After last night's nonsense with the chick from the Jersey Shore, nobody will be taking Robbie E. seriously.

Generation Me ran all the matches they had against Motor City Machine Guns. They are just as talented as MCMG, they may be newer and not as experienced but they have great in ring performance. My top three matches in TNA last year:
1. Angle vs Anderson
2. Angle vs Styles
3. Any match with MCMG vs Gen Me
Ink Ink may not be as quick and agile but there still have a great dynamic. There matches are almost always enjoyable, my favourite match from last nights addition of TNA impact was Gen Me vs Ink Ink. I think it towered over the rest, including the main event tag match. They may have along way to go before they reach heights such as MCMG and Beer Money (Who are two of my favourite tag teams) but they still have talent, great in ring performance, and are extremely entertaining.

GenMe is a highly energetic team and that's all well and good but they're not very well rounded at all. Aside from their high spots, what do they bring? The Guns used to be little more than glorified spot monkeys before they started cutting back on high spots and actually incorporating some wrestling and psychology into their matches. GenMe doesn't have that yet. Their promo skills are pretty awful, little to no understanding if ring psychology and they have the worst look of anyone on the TNA roster by far. Even though they're not high school freshmen, that's what they look like. They're both in their 20s but they look like 15 year olds and that just makes them hard to take seriously. Wrestling is about suspension of disbelief but if you put GenMe side by side with Beer Money and were asked "who'd win in a fight between these two teams", it'd be Beer Money unanimously almost by looks alone.

From an all around standpoint, Ink Inc. is a little more well rounded than GenMe. They have a unique look about them that makes them stand out and both are solid inside the ring. Ink Inc. is someone that's only going to be shown to be in the league of Beer Money or the Guns as time goes by. The Guns & Beer Money are still the two immediate names that spring to mind when you think of tag team wrestling in general these days and neither Ink Inc. or Generation Me is at that level, not even close.

yeah, the tag team divison and x division is the ONLY reason i even occasionaly tune in to tna. the x divison is very talented in the ring andvery fast paced. most of their tag teams have good storylines and good matches

X-division is weaker now than before since most of the great talent they had are in the main event/world title scene.

However..there have been talks about more AAA wrestlers coming to TNA (most would be X-division type wrestlers) what better way to make Hernandez turn on Immortal than to say he liked AAA better and brings them into TNA with him to fued with everyone and every title?

then you will have a great mix of more tag teams, X-divisions.. and hell even Sarita and Rosita could join them as well to take over the Knockout division (another TNA standout division).

it will tie everything up nicely.. and would appear to be the plan since the start. When they sent him down to AAA.

I think the Tag Team division is the best they got.. we have mentioned Gen Me, Ink Inc, Beer Money, and MCMG.. but what about the comedy that is Eric Young/Orlando jordan? Gunner & murphy? and hopefully London brawling coming back soon (I hope) they are all quality good Tag teams with a good niche. but Beer Money is superior than all of them....

Beer Money can have good matches with ALL of them.. they know how to slow down things..

MCMG are great.. but I don't think they would mesh well with Ink Inc.. something about that match up doesn't fit to me.. I LOVE MCMG though.

As for the X-division.... I think better days are coming.. ;)

I completely agree, Young/Orlando are hilarious and both good wrestlers. Gunner and Murphy are only lame because of they way they were brought into TNA, but they are good.

No doubt the matches are entertaining and still are and I think will always be the backbone of TNA and the reason most people watch it, but who ever is "head" at the moment evidently wants to push the WHC more than both of these epic divisions that are engraved in TNA's history already. I'd say go all out and make the X Divsion and the Tag Division your headline, screw Hardy and Flair keep them as backstage promoters or managers. Do what Heyman said is basically what I'm coming to... but not "throw away everyone over 40" keep the ones who draw backstage build the Tag and X Division.

To be brutally honest I think the talent is just about there already IF they could say bring Homicide from ROH and people like Sonjay Dutt back. Not ALL the old X division/tag wrestlers just the ones who people miss (LAX ftw =[). They have people like Crimson and Red both of which fit in the tag division AND the X division, then you get Ink Inc. who are not the greatest but are good enough, then Gunner & Murphy and I must say I'm impressed although they can't pose to save their life. Then on top of that a future returning Wolfe/Magnus tag team then it looks much better considering ALL the wrestling are completely interchange-able with the X Divsion =]

I completely agree. I miss LAX, still have their shirt :[ this "Grudge Match" Hernandez and Morgan are having is stupid. I mean they were enemies, tag team, then Hernandez was gone and Morgan was doing is own thing trying to get title. Then Hernandez returns and attacks people for Immortal while Morgan tries to get him to stop, this isn't enough to be called a "Grudge Match" love Wolfe/Magnus

As for Jay Lethal, the guy's been on a downward spiral since his feud with Ric Flair ended. He's been an X Division champ 6 times and he's not going any further than where he's been. He's just been stagnant now for months.

Well that's not really Jay Lethal's fault, its the terrible booking of TNA. I mean look at Pope, it looked like he was going to fight with Immortal, then they 180'ed and randomly feuded him with Samoa Joe! It looked like Anderson, Morgan, Joe, and Pope were going to form against Immortal. Then BAM! Nothing.

GenMe is a highly energetic team and that's all well and good but they're not very well rounded at all. Aside from their high spots, what do they bring? The Guns used to be little more than glorified spot monkeys before they started cutting back on high spots and actually incorporating some wrestling and psychology into their matches. GenMe doesn't have that yet. Their promo skills are pretty awful, little to no understanding if ring psychology and they have the worst look of anyone on the TNA roster by far. Even though they're not high school freshmen, that's what they look like. They're both in their 20s but they look like 15 year olds and that just makes them hard to take seriously. Wrestling is about suspension of disbelief but if you put GenMe side by side with Beer Money and were asked "who'd win in a fight between these two teams", it'd be Beer Money unanimously almost by looks alone.

From an all around standpoint, Ink Inc. is a little more well rounded than GenMe. They have a unique look about them that makes them stand out and both are solid inside the ring. Ink Inc. is someone that's only going to be shown to be in the league of Beer Money or the Guns as time goes by. The Guns & Beer Money are still the two immediate names that spring to mind when you think of tag team wrestling in general these days and neither Ink Inc. or Generation Me is at that level, not even close.

I enjoy there matches a lot. I love quick action and great athleticism. They can pull off a lot. When watching their matches it looks like they are improvising new moves on the spot. They got great tag team moves, and their high flying ability is off the chart.

I'm right with you man. Those two divisions and Angles & Styles in the main event are about the only people you can consistently expect a great match out of. Not so much the X-Division anymore though as they've really cut into the TV time for that division and having someone like Robbie E get the most attention lately is just depressing to watch.

The saddest thing though is that it would be so easy for them to create a great division. They have an excellent working partnership with both New Japan Pro Wrestling and AAA that they could use at probably any time to pick up a few great junior heavyweight talents from those companies just like Bischoff did with the Cruiserweight division 15 years ago. Go sign Prince Devitt from NJPW or La Sombra from AAA. You never know, you could have another Rey Mysterio, Jericho, or Guerrero kind of talent just sitting there waiting to be given a chance. It's not like they don't have talented X Division guys either, they have Brian Kendrick who's an incredible talent that they completely waste (when's the last time he was even on TV?), guys like Kazarian and don't forget Christopher Daniels (as Suicide), MCMG, Generation Me, and Samoa Joe (they sure as fuck aren't giving Joe another main event push so they might as well use him as well). Go and sign a few young indy talents as well, guys like Kenny Omega and Kyle O'Reilly when their ROH deals end. But they'd rather use that money to drop thousands on pseudo-celebs like the Jersey Shore girls then actually spend money on the things that made them popular in the first place (X-Division, Knockouts, WRESTLING).

TNA is currently of course already trying to refocus on the X-Division, it's why they switched the date for the Destination X PPV so that they could apparently build up to the show. We still get more from Robbie E each week than Kaz, the champion though so I'm still waiting for them to actually start focusing on the division again and not just saying they will.

I'm right with you man. Those two divisions and Angles & Styles in the main event are about the only people you can consistently expect a great match out of. Not so much the X-Division anymore though as they've really cut into the TV time for that division and having someone like Robbie E get the most attention lately is just depressing to watch.

The saddest thing though is that it would be so easy for them to create a great division. They have an excellent working partnership with both New Japan Pro Wrestling and AAA that they could use at probably any time to pick up a few great junior heavyweight talents from those companies just like Bischoff did with the Cruiserweight division 15 years ago. Go sign Prince Devitt from NJPW or La Sombra from AAA. You never know, you could have another Rey Mysterio, Jericho, or Guerrero kind of talent just sitting there waiting to be given a chance. It's not like they don't have talented X Division guys either, they have Brian Kendrick who's an incredible talent that they completely waste (when's the last time he was even on TV?), guys like Kazarian and don't forget Christopher Daniels (as Suicide), MCMG, Generation Me, and Samoa Joe (they sure as fuck aren't giving Joe another main event push so they might as well use him as well). Go and sign a few young indy talents as well, guys like Kenny Omega and Kyle O'Reilly when their ROH deals end. But they'd rather use that money to drop thousands on pseudo-celebs like the Jersey Shore girls then actually spend money on the things that made them popular in the first place (X-Division, Knockouts, WRESTLING).

TNA is currently of course already trying to refocus on the X-Division, it's why they switched the date for the Destination X PPV so that they could apparently build up to the show. We still get more from Robbie E each week than Kaz, the champion though so I'm still waiting for them to actually start focusing on the division again and not just saying they will.

Extremely well put. I can't believe the waste that is going on in TNA lately, but even though it's the stuff they undermine and don't give two shits about, it's still the stuff that brings me back for more! I enjoy most of the superstars in the main event league, Anderson, Sting, Angle, Hardy, and RVD. But the story is just demolishing the purpose. When will Hogan and Eric smarting up or get the fuck out before they kill TNA?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back