• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WZ's Top 10: Stars Who Could Succeed in WWE

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
There's a little story on the main page featuring an editorial by Josh Isenberg list's 10 current talents in TNA Wrestling whom he feels could succeed in WWE.

10. Velvet Sky - I pretty much agree with this. As a whole, the Divas aren't great and I'm not sure that they've ever been great. Without AJ Lee, they'd be all but irrelevant in the eyes of most fans. Velvet Sky herself isn't that great but she's sexy as hell. Even if WWE toned down the gyrating pole dancer aspect, it couldn't hide the fact that she's loaded with sex appeal She looks great and has a pretty strong presence overall. I agree that she'd be immediately better than probably 50% of the Divas on the main roster right now. While she's not all that great in the ring, a handicap of several Divas, she does work hard.

9. Austin Aries - I'm not surprised that he's on this particular list, though I was a little surprised he's so low on it before I thought about it. Anyone whose seen Aries in TNA can tell that he's loaded with talent in the ring and on the mic. While not a big guy, Aries has a great build and is highly athletic. I can't say that I agree with the notion that he doesn't have the potential to be up there with guys like Punk, Cena, Bryan, etc. Something that might POSSIBLY hold Aries back if he came to WWE is his alleged attitude. I don't know what sort of person Aries is behind the scenes, all I know is based on what I've read and that can be a crapshoot at times. Sometimes such stories are legit, sometimes they have some truth to them and sometimes they're works of total fiction. IF, IF the stories of Aries' attitude backstage are true, then I don't see how he could avoid trouble in WWE.

8. Jeff Hardy - I misread the title of the editorial when I first clicked on it. I didn't know if it would strictly list TNA stars. At any rate, this is sort of a given. We know Hardy could succeed in WWE because he's done it before. Would he reach the heights he once did? Eh, that's hard to say. Hardy left the company in the middle of the biggest push of his career and his personal & professional life went to shit almost immediately after due to his history of drug problems. With two Wellness Policy violations under his belt and what he went through since leaving WWE, I find it difficult to think he wouldn't be under some heavy scrutiny. It looks as though he's gotten his life together and that's a good thing but, again, I'd be very surprised if there weren't a good deal of trust issues on WWE's part as it pertains to Hardy's reliability. I think he'll probably wind up back in WWE when it's all said and done with some sort of deal similar to that of Jericho & RVD.

7. Mickie James - Mickie James has also seen a lot of success in WWE. Aside from Trish Stratus, Mickie James is possibly the most relevant Diva in WWE history. For most of her time in TNA, Mickie was generally as bland as she was in WWE as a babyface. However, she's done a great job as a heel in TNA, so good that I believe many were very surprised. I know I certainly was because I just didn't think she had it in her. Mickie James would be a strong addition to WWE at this time, especially as WWE is actually putting some degree of effort into the Diva Division as a whole.

6. Wes Brisco - This is one choice I flat out disagree with. During Brisco's time in TNA, I've seen absolutely nothing special about this guy whatsoever. WWE seemed to think the same thing as he was released from Florida Championship Wrestling in either late 2010 or early 2011. To me, the guy is a strong definition of a generic wrestler: a nice looking guy with a deep tan and a good build. The most memorable aspect of Wes Brisco, in my opinion, is that he's the son of Gerald Brisco and nephew of the late Jack Brisco. Aside from his lineage, he's got nothing.

5.Kenny King - Kenny King's time in TNA puts me in mind of Kofi Kingston in a lot of ways. They're about the same age, same size, same build, both very fast & athletic and I think there's untapped potential in them both. Like Kofi, there've been a few glimpses of greatness in King here & there. However, if he came to WWE, I think King would ultimately be used like Kofi Kingston in which he earns a lot of success and becomes a mid-card mainstay who is often used to put over bigger names.

4. Bully Ray - Like a few others on this list, Ray is someone that already found success in WWE. However, all of Ray's success came as a tag team wrestler and, frankly, I think most everybody wrote off the idea of Ray going on to succeed as a singles wrestler in his early 40s. However, Ray has proven people wrong as he's been perhaps the most consistently entertaining act to watch in TNA this year. Ray has reinvented himself, he's gotten himself into good shape and has been the best heel on TNA's roster since his heel turn. I think the downside for Ray and WWE is probably his age, however. RVD turns 43 in December and WWE brought him back, however, RVD is back on a part time basis with a deal that's structured similarly to what we've seen with Chris Jericho the past few years. RVD's strength's have always lied in watching him in the ring whereas Ray's strongest point has always been on the mic. It'd be fun to see Ray in WWE, even if it's just a part time thing, but it'd also seem like something of a waste because he could be a top dog in WWE. WWE isn't going after 40+ year old full timers and it can be hard to really give a major push to a part timer without you ultimately knowing how it's going to end.

3. Bobby Roode - Bobby Roode is someone that people have been saying should go to WWE for years now. Roode is someone who definitely has a full package in terms of the look, personality, charisma and in-ring prowess. With the possible exception of Bully Ray, to me, Bobby Roode has been the most entertaining heel TNA has had in years. In a lot of ways, Roode reminds me of a somewhat smaller version of Triple H, especially with a good portion of his in-ring style. He's a strong addition to the singles or tag team picture. Roode turns 37 on New Year's Day 2014 and I've read various reports over the years suggesting that WWE has sent feelers Roode's way more than once. I'd be extremely surprised if they hadn't. Roode seems to be happy in TNA and, if so, there's not a thing in the world wrong with that. But WWE is in a mode right now where they look to be building for the long term, which means that they're probably not looking at a lot of guys in their late 30s to early 40s. A part time deal for Roode wouldn't really work because, frankly, Roode's star power isn't anywhere near that of guys like Bully Ray or RVD due to their prior history in WWE and in ECW before that.

2. Kurt Angle - We all know what a huge success Angle was in WWE before they had their big falling out. Could Angle be a boon to WWE on something of a part time deal? I have no doubt that he could. Angle turns 45years old in early December and he still seems to have a lot left in the tank. However, much like Jeff Hardy, Kurt Angle's personal problem have been front page news in the wrestling world for years. He's in rehab right now, or at least he was the last I heard anything about it, after getting arrested for the sixth time in four years on DUI charges. Also, like Hardy, Angle has had issues with substance abuse and was a big part of why he & WWE had a major falling out. In order for a wrestler to even get his foot in WWE these days, he has to undergo rigorous medical exams and even though Angle looks fit, there MIGHT be all kinds of problems lurking beneath the surface. Remember when Nash was scheduled to go up against Punk a few years back but something was discovered during an exam? Nash looked like a million bucks, but the wear & tear of the business is always there.

1. Sting - Would it be a huge mark out moment for many a fan if Sting walked into a WWE ring? No question about it. It'd generate enough buzz that it'd probably damn near break the internet in & of itself. However, for me personally, I can't really see much of any real use for Sting aside from having a big money match at WM against The Undertaker. Once that's over and done with, I don't see much happening with him in WWE. Sting's 54years old and it's become obvious that the business has caught up with him the past few years. You can tell it by his overall physical shape and by watching him in the ring. That's not to say that he can't still put on good matches, because he can and has. If Sting is able to pass all the various medical exams WWE would put him through, then I could see Sting being brought back for special uses like The Undertaker or Brock Lesnar in which he's brought in to feud with a full timer in hopes of jacking up ppv buys and popping a television rating.

Anywho, that's WrestleZone's Top 10 TNA Stars who could make it in WWE. Whose your Top 10 and you don't have to limit yourself to TNA. Pick anybody fron the indy circuit, New Japan, ROH, wherever.

I saw this and was a little puzzled. I like Isenberg on CSR but this list is missing several key names.

AJ Styles is an obvious name. Yes, he cannot deliver a promo meaning he isn't quite suited for WWE but he is extremely talented in the ring. There are some potentially great matches that he can put on and if the time comes I would like to see Styles in the WWE.

Samoa Joe is another. He, like Styles, is great in the ring but can back it up on the mic. He could do very well in the WWE and be a main-eventer.

Magnus is another one of those who wasn't on the list that could have a decent run in the WWE. Perhaps not a World Champ but could be a solid mid-carder who could develop into someone that could work some matches with main-eventers.

Kenny King is a wrestler that I like. He has had some very good matches in TNA and would certainly be an asset for the WWE. Bobby Roode, Angle, Sting, Hardy are the obvious names that could do well. Bully Ray, after his resurrection, could come back to the WWE are actually do well. It would actually be intriguing to see how they use Bully Ray and if the WWE showed some faith in him.

If anyone hasn't gotten it at this point, you should know that Isenberg and Labar both know as much about wrestling as the average IWC fan, they just managed to have jobs where they can spread their laborious opinions to a larger audience.

I seriously don't think Isenberg even watches the product on a regular basis and just talks out of his ass most of the time. Why you may ask?

Because why would you list Bully Ray, Jeff Hardy, Mickie James and Kurt Angle as options in this list? They've already been in the WWE, so we know they'd have moderate to great success back in the WWE, because they've had it before.

As far as the remaining list, Sting and Velvet Sky's the only folks I'd want to see debut in the WWE. Sting for obvious reasons, and Velvet Sky because she'd bring beauty and legitimacy to the Diva's division outside of AJ Lee, Layla, and Natalya.

Anyone else on that list wouldn't work in the WWE. If they don't work in TNA, then how in the blue hell would they work in a much bigger, more character driven company in the WWE?

1- never wanted to see this. sting vs taker is not a dream match, especially now. people wrongly think of this as a dream match only because of the ripoff of the crow that sting became. their character's and styles never matched up and now, with both their limitations would be terrible. not even taker could make a sting match watchable. a real dream match would have been sting vs bret, scorpion death lock vs sharpshooter, similar sizes and builds, similar styles, though sting might have been a little more flash then bret, but this would have been a much better match then anything between sting vs taker. unlike bret and hbk, sting could never really do a decent match against larger opponents, even one who could actually wrestle like taker.

2&4&8- the off screen troubles of these two(kurt/jeff), and their repeated bad blood with their departures from wwe make these two seem like a problem waiting to happen. bully's issues and the way he and devon left wwe make it unlikely they'll come back unless they are willing to grovel.
5&6-unlikely for either of these considering that wwe has no room for mediocre mid cards with no charisma or rapport with the fans. speed of kofi and athleticism of shelton? they already have kofi, and if they cared about athleticism, they'd bring back morrison and shelton themselves.

9-austin has always been the lesser of the group who made roh and then moved on. punk, bryan are the best of them and others like daniels and aj are above aries as well. his saving grace is his ability to connect with a crowd through his odd facial expressions. skill level he's above average but still not in those guys level.
7-only if they are going to make a serious woman's division, other wise it's a waste of her talent and their time. As it stated, there are few actual wrestling capable divas in the wwe, and that is a shame, but mickie is in a tough spot since she's sort of in the middle. she is attractive but she's not model thin or surgically enhanced. her skills are above most diva's and she could put on great matches with natalya and tamina but they would never be given the time to do so with wwe's current women wrestling attitude. velvet would fit in great in current diva's 'talent' pool. her assets are are obvious and upfront.

3-roode might be the one exception, but honestly, he's a big fish in a small pond, and moving up to the big times in wwe would be a mistake on his part. He's not got the size to match up against the larger talent within wwe and he got his position more by default since there was almost literally no one else to be the lead heel at the time. he's done a great job with it, but he's always been over blown. his motto of the 'it' factor is missing a couple of letters at the start. going to wwe would just expose his weaknesses that he would not be able to hide against the better overall talent pool in wwe.

I Could see AJ Styles and Samoa Joe putting on some good technical matches with Punk, Bryan, Dolph... ect. I would also kill to see Kurt Angle back in WWE for obvious reasons, he's a freaking machine. With all this said there is one man who has the right look and is a good storyteller in the ring...

Bobby Roode - The guy knows how to pace himself in the ring and is just damn good as a heel. His title Reign was one of the reasons I actually watched TNA again. He is the only guy who I could see actually making something of himself in WWE. That's not a knock on AJ or Samoa Joe... I just don't see them ever making it bigger than the IC or US Title. Both are great in the ring but AJ is pretty bad on the mic and Joe's look is probably worst than Bryan. Look at how they handled Chris Hero in Development, it just would not work.

Id love to fly into this topic, throwing out a lot of names like Devitt, Nakamura, Steen, Okada etc., but Steen aside, they aren't big enough for WWE and without a lightweight division, they would all inevitably be jobbers. Steen doesn't have the look either, despite his obvious talents, but I digress.

TNA has a few guys like Roode, Magnus, and the former WWE guys, but all in, they suffer the same problem. Lack of size/look. It's unfortunate because most of my favourite wrestlers have been smaller guys, but there have only ever been a few exceptions that break through, and thus prove the rule.

Thats what makes these lists a bother for me. Wishlists are great, but looking at whats been put here, its hard to agree with a lot of it. Austin Aries is Punk+Bryan, but the sum isn't equal to the parts, so he's out.
Kenny King would have no room to flourish, just like most of the smaller guys in WWE, so he would just be another mouth to feed for no return. Out.
Hardy, Angle and Bully all have previous success, but all have baggage, so they are Wild Cards. Theres no doubt that they would have impact, but there is no guarantee that they could reach previous heights, or that they could maintain that impact.
And Sting's value at this point lies in ONE match. WM with Taker would be an unbelievable sight, but then what? He ends the streak? Nope. So he loses his debut match. What does he do after that? So, he has marquee value only, but his days as a wrestler are dwindling. He could MAYBE be prolonged with a non-wrestling on air position, though. Maybe.
The knockouts are much more realistic. Velvet Sky brings the looks and Mickie brings the talent. They could both be used moreso than 99% of TNAs roster.
Which leaves me with Roode and Briscoe. Roode is the best bet here. As has been said a million times, he is HHH Jr. He has the full package and is the most likely to succeed. BUT, going from a small pond to an ocean like WWE cant be easy. I feel as though he would be treated as "the guy from over there" much like most of WCWs talent was treated after they were bought out. But who knows?
Briscoe is a conundrum, though. One the one hand, he is bland and forgetful. He isn't terrible, but he doesnt excel at anything. A bit like Curtis Axel, really. On the other hand, he looks great and WWE isn't shy about their love of look over talent. Sometimes the talent can improve over time (Batista) or sometimes it can stagnate (Masters), but guys with The Look are always gonna have a place at WWE, so he may be in with a shout. Doesn't hurt that his dad is Gerald Briscoe, either.

Obviously there are others not on the list like Joe, AJ, Magnus, Storm etc, but Ill stick to my thoughts here.
Personally, I feel that WWE are at the point now where they don't need to poach performers and thus have no interest in it. They are gonna train their own stars and the wrestling world is going to become more and more inbred as we go.

Then again, if they end up signing Davie Richards and Eddie Edwards then all my thoughts are moot. Haha :shrug:

For some reason, after reading that Joey Ryan tried out at the Performance Center, I can see him competing for the company. Ryan has a lot of personality, which is exactly what WWE looks for. I definitely would like to see him in WWE. Others I'd like to see are Bobby Roode and Jeff Hardy for obvious reasons.

Anywho, that's WrestleZone's Top 10 TNA Stars who could make it in WWE. Whose your Top 10 and you don't have to limit yourself to TNA. Pick anybody fron the indy circuit, New Japan, ROH, wherever.

I am going to use 6 picks in the form of 3 teams as I think that is where WWE could use strengthening more than in the singles area of things. I'd take The American Wolves and reDRagon from ROH and Bad Influence from TNA. The latter two would have no trouble getting over as heels as they have shown ability as characters as opposed to just wrestlers. The Wolves I think would get over as faces with their hard hitting style and exciting double team moves. These are three teams that could improve an area of WWE's product as opposed to just adding more good wrestlers to the roster.

Next two I'd take are Mickie and Velvet. Again WWE are short on faces in the Divas division, Mickie would instantly resolve that and be a great feud for AJ. Velvet isn't great in the ring but she works hard, is molten hot and can get over. The other beauty of Mickie and Velvet is both can play heel as well when the time came to switch it up.

Next I'd go with Matt Taven from ROH, he's a tall and athletic wrestler with the look and he reminds me of Edge. Sure he needs work but he has WWE written all over him IMO, shame WWE wouldn't bring the ludicrous Truth Martini & The Hoopla Hotties with him. :D

Last but certainly not least I'm going for Roode because I think he could do Alberto Del Rio's role a lot better than Bertie, and WWE could use a WHC measuring stick guy.

I'm a big fan of Aries but WWE have their cool jerk with a chip on his shoulder in Punk. I'm a huge fan of AJ Styles but you could argue that WWE can make Sami Zayn their guy in his mold, and I dig Joe but I doubt WWE would ever be able to see past his look to book him in a way in which he'd actually be useful to them.

Hardy and Angle are better off where they are for health reasons and all I want from Sting at his age is a 3 disc career set with all the trimmings such as a full documentary with his participation.

Which stars could I see having success in WWE? Frankly, very few. If I were choosing the only ones I would choose would be Velvet Sky, Chris Sabin, AJ Styles, and Robert Roode.

I would attempt to grab Alex Shelley from Japan and I would resurrect the MCMG, under a different name obviously, and I would have Velvet Sky as their manager. Velvet is sexy as hell, even in the toned down WWE she would be a very nice addition and while she's no ring technician, she is certainly good enough to compete as a WWE diva. Sabin and Shelley are young enough to be worth the opportunity, and they would be a welcome addition to the tag team division.

AJ Styles would be a choice of mine simply because I would like him to have the opportunity to prove once and for all if he is worthy of all the IWC hype he consistently receives. I would like to see him bring his in ring skills, mic skills, and charisma (or lack thereof) and truly see once and for all if he is good enough to be a major player in the big leagues.

Robert Roode has always been one of my personal favorites, so I would like to see him in WWE simply because I am a fan of his work. I enjoy his style and his character and you can't have enough good Canadian guys on the roster.

I have no interest in any of the former WWE guys, except for maybe a one shot appearance as part of an eventual induction into the WWE Hall of Fame. While Jeff Hardy has been clean and sober for a whole now, he's too risky to bring back and on a personal level, I'm not sure he would be ale to maintain his sobriety once exposed to the rigors of the WWE lifestyle once again. Same goes for Kurt Angle. Too old and too much baggage, but a quick appearance before entering the Hall of Fame would be nice.

I have no interest in seeing Bully Ray return to WWE, despite how much I have enjoyed his resurrection in TNA and appreciate how much more in shape he has gotten himself over this run. I have less than zero interest in seeing Anderson back in WWE in any capacity whatsoever. I was never a fan of his in either company and he has nothing to offer WWE other than risk of injury and unsubstantiated hype. Never really been much of a fan of Mickie James either and let's face it, she chose to leave WWE for greener pastures elsewhere, so I'd never bring her back.

No interest in Aries or Samoa Joe in WWE at all. I'd rather see the WWE concentrate on guys who are slimmer, less arrogant, and younger.

And that leaves Sting. I hope to see him in WWE at some point in a non wrestling capacity, simply so that he can receive an induction into the WWE Hall of Fame. Without an appearance of this nature, he doesn't have any business entering the Hall no matter how impressive his career has been and who owns the rights to what. I have little to no interest seeing him compete in a WWE ring as a 50+ shell of his former self, and that includes the ever anticipated Sting/Undertaker classic.

I like the direction WWE is headed in right now. I like seeing them bring in younger guys and put them through developmental stages before calling them up to their main roster. I see little benefit in reaching into the TNA talent pool to bring guys into the company who were ultimately unable to get the job done in their own company in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back