• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WWE's next Iron Man Match

WJDwjdWJDwjd

Getting Noticed By Management
I just got done watching quite possibly one of the greatest matches in WWF/E history, the 60 Minute Iron Man Match between Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart. It got me thinking, who on the roster right now do you think would put on a great Iron Man Match that has not been in one before?

Personally, I'd love to see a clinic put on by "Daniel" Bryan Danielson and CM Punk. Another match up I'd like to see because of the rivalry aspect would be Miz vs Morrison. I know it's not quite Shawn Michaels/Bret Hart type rivalry, but with the right build, it would be great.

Thoughts?

i would lik to see an iron man themed ppv, but then we will get used to seeing iron match and we will get bored

Now I can seriously see a Daniel Bryan/CM Punk iron man match, I don't quite think a Miz/Morrison one could be done. John Morrison is a great wrestler no doubt and would do great against someone like Chris Jericho or Rey Mysterio in an Iron Match, The Miz just could go that long. He's great in the ring but he's nothing special and from the looks of it, he couldn't truly hang with John Morrison for an hour.

Its a little weird seeing a thread like this because a couple days ago, I started to notice just how many wrestlers are currently out, injured in the WWE. I was thinking this would be a perfect time for some kind of Iron Man match at Wrestlemania. But I got to think who could do this? In my honest opinion, I know I would mark out hard if I found out they assigned an Iron Man match between two of the greatest Indy wrestlers of all time Daniel Bryan and CM Punk at Wrestlemania. I think they could really pull it off. Daniel Bryan is um...somewhat the rookie here and it would get him highly over. I seriously doubt that the WWE would give them an hour unless one of them are the WWE Champion. But we can hope.

Others, if I remember correctly, Randy Orton and John Cena had an Iron Man match. I could see a Iron Man Match II at maybe Wrestlemania to take up some time. Triple H and Sheamus I'm sure would put on a beastly, epic Iron man Match. John Morrison I could see pulling a Shawn Michaels at Wrestlemania. It would be an awesome and sure fire way to put him in the main event. I'm going with any combination of John Morrison, Daniel Bryan and CM Punk.

An iron man match would help their careers so much.

i would lik to see an iron man themed ppv, but then we will get used to seeing iron match and we will get bored

Well, you can't realy charge people 50 bucks for like iron man 3 matches. (one for each title belt). I would be intersting if they do a tag team tornado iron man match.

I just had a thought for an ironman match. Let's take the two biggest stars in WWE and let them have at it at WRESTLEMANIA. I'm thinking Undertaker vs. either John Cena or HHH in a 60-minute iron man match. After all, Taker's done it all. This would be the perfect way to let him go out on top.

The big question is how many wrestlers are actually capable of wrestling for a full hour. You see most matches being under 10 minutes and Main events are long if they are over 25 minutes.

You would need 2 guys that can fight with a variety of moves as well, or it will become boring and repetitive. I also see it tough having 2 power/big men doing the match as it is more about stamina and continuity throughout the match. Shawn and Bret aren't big guys and don't really on power moves to win matches.

One of the problems is that people now aren't trained to wrestle as much. WWE is less about the wrestling now which is another reason why it is tough to have an Iron Man Match.

While an Undertaker Iron match does sound interesting, I do believe we already had something like that when Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels took place 2 times at Wrestlemania in an Epic Match!

I would like to see - The Miz vs Cena in a Iron Man Match WWE Title Shot. Score goes down to 3 - 3 with The Miz pulling a clean surprising win over Cena to Solitify The Miz's reign as Champion and place as a Top Contender! I think it could be done.

I just had a thought for an ironman match. Let's take the two biggest stars in WWE and let them have at it at WRESTLEMANIA. I'm thinking Undertaker vs. either John Cena or HHH in a 60-minute iron man match. After all, Taker's done it all. This would be the perfect way to let him go out on top.

I do think the WM12 Iron Man Match is highly overrated. They had like 10 minute rest holds a plenty. It's just that WWE would hype the crap out of it. I'd put Angle/Lesnar over it.

Undertaker can not go 1 hour. His body is way too messed up

I do think the WM12 Iron Man Match is highly overrated. They had like 10 minute rest holds a plenty. It's just that WWE would hype the crap out of it. I'd put Angle/Lesnar over it.

Undertaker can not go 1 hour. His body is way too messed up

Yeah your right on that score Wrestling Three Thinker, That iornman match is so overrated, I would put HHH n Rock from judgement day 2000 over Bret n Shawn.

As for who I would like to see in a 60min ironman match would be Danielson vs Ziggler just to CEMENT the FACT that Ziggler is quite a good wrestler.

Miz vs Morrison-We all know Morrison has amazing skills in wrestling and can go 60 minutes. This would be a great test for Miz and would help him earn even more respect from the locker room/WWE Universe. An ironman match between these guys could establish them as the new FUED of the decade (ie. Rock/Stone Cold, Cena/Orton)

Daniel Bryan/CM Punk-Both of these guys are amazing wrestlers and have a wide variety of moves to use within 60 minutes. An ironman match for the US title would not only elevate them, but also the title itself.

A wrestlemania Ironman match to unify the titles would be awesome. (no pun intended)

I would love to see Morrison and Bryan, or Morrison and Punk, or Punk and Bryan (as many people have said).

Miz and DiBiase would be a fun ironman match, in my opinion.

I would NOT want to see another Cena Orton, or anyone with Undertaker just cause of how Taker looked at WM 26, he looked beat to shit and that wasn't nearly as long a match as WM 25

CM Punk/Danielson would be a good one. Danielson could probably put on a good Iron Man match with a lot of guys-Ziggler, Morrison, Jericho if he returns. I even think Danielson/Swagger could be a really good match. Swagger is a guy that would probably be overlooked in this discussion, but he has the combination of power & wrestling ability to be able to work an Iron Man match. Him & Morrison would be good, but I can't really picture to 2 of them in a rivalry.

The Miz? He can barely wrestle for 5 minutes, let alone 60. Seriously, stop making him into an all-time great. He's mediocre at best.

Like marklouis, I think Swagger could be a surprise in an Iron Match. When he first arrived in ECW, he managed to show how good a wrestler (proper) he could be and generated a lot of momentum. I feel bad for the guy because he has never looked comfortable on the mic, yet WWE constantly made him do promo after promo when he clearly wasn't ready for it.

What is important to bear in mind for IronMan matches, is that both the competitors have to have a vast array of styles they can switch to to keep things interesting and really show what they are made of. I also think that it would be best served as a feud ender rather than just an off-the-cuff 'Hey, we haven't done this in a while...' kind of thing.

for an iron man match it would be better to put technical wrestlers, i mean imagine some one like jeff hardy or john cena, the thing about hart v.s hbk was they both were capable of doint any type of wrestling: strikes, submission, high flying and most important, they wer great technicians

for an iron man match it would be better to put technical wrestlers, i mean imagine some one like jeff hardy or john cena, the thing about hart v.s hbk was they both were capable of doint any type of wrestling: strikes, submission, high flying and most important, they wer great technicians

You mean the same John Cena who near damn went an hour on Raw with HBK, and did an Iron Man match with Randy Orton? Try again.

As for who in WWE could go an hour, I'd honestly say most wrestlers have the cardiovascular conditioning to go that long. Certainly the younger guys do. However, would an houlr long match featuring them be any good? Probably not. It's hard to keep an audience's attention for that long, and pace yourself enough so that you don't collapse in a sweaty heap. To an extent HBK and Bret did it, but the majority of the match was dull as fuck with the last 10 or so minutes being where all the action was. Steamboat and Flair could go an hour and keep the audience on the edge of their seats for that hour, but they're in another league to the present day WWE performers.

So no, I don't think there should be another Ironman match any time soon because A there's no reason to have one, and B there's nobody with the psychology to drag a match out that long and make it look good.

As you can see I'm a novice poster here but I have been a daily reader of wrestlezone forums for around 5 years and I'm afraid this thread and it's responses have made me post! A Have been a wrestling fan for the last 20 years (I'm 27) and for a decent ironman match there are two main requirements, wrestling ability and entertainment ability, yes the Hart vs Michaels match was slow in places but the two of them had you engrossed in what was going on. The Angle vs Lesnar match was a wrestling school. The Rock vs Triple H was sheer entertainment and unpredictable. Now If we are talking an ironman match from todays roster then we are looking at a small pool of Cena, Orton, Triple H, Bryan (for wrestling ability), Jericho (when he is back), Sheamus and maybe Kane and Undertaker for sheer experience and story telling. All these idiots going on about The Miz (who I am still sceptical about but am looking forward to seeing how is title reign goes) and Morrison who is utter dog shit and more boring than being in a coma really have no clue about the ironman match and need to realise it is nothing to do with spots (botched ones in Morrisons case) and ability to piss off the crowd. Ironman is about the best of the best, hence them being a rare beast.

I missed CM Punk so apologise coz he could do easily carry this

if we are talking strictly about a 1 hour iron man match

Taker vs Cena or HHH would be epic, unfortunately there's no way in heck Undertaker could go 60mins he's usually spent by the 20min mark. highy doubt Triple H could either he's good but he's also old :)

Cena no doubt could, but would it be entertaining for more than 30mins

IMO reasons they haven't done an iron man match in so long.
A) They struggle to give time to the roster they have as it is without having a 1hr match on a PPV other than Royal Rumble of course but thats not a 1 on 1 match

B) there's not really anyone who could go one hour and still put on a good steady match with few low boring sections.

C) from the standpoint of watching an iron man match, specially if you are in attendance and can't just get up to goto the toilet and put the match on pause, they can be very boring ala Orton vs HHH at WrestleMania 25 :p yeah i know that wasn't an iron man match but it very Slow, mindless

D) people want everything fast, which doesn't lend it self to a 1hr iron man match

HBK and Bret Hart were very versatile and could keep it interesting for most of that match since they could do all styles. Also to note since most matches are no more than 15mins noone is really trained to go 1hr inb a match except once a year.

not like the old days when Flair and Steamboat had 1hr matches almost every night

Daniel Bryan could go the distance if he doesn't blow his wad in the first 15mins like he seems to. I'm sorry i still don't see it with him, he has some good moves but he looks sloppy and weak

Orton and Edge could go 60mins but Orton would be slow and drawn out.

Could note too that unless it's dynamic and steady an iron man match can be alot of dead air time, which they could be dedicating to another fued or something "entertaining".

What they should do is just have 30min iron man matches. that would broaden the appeal and increase the list of capable participants ten fold

then they could also have a Iron Man PPV with Iron Man matches with stipulations ie like the best of 3 match between Stone Cold and Triple H where they had each fall was a different match type.
or have a Triple Threat Iron Man Match, the possibilities are endless. Would mix it up

Personally I dislike Iron Matches unless it makes sense.
Bret/Michaels was a horrible match IMO (myabe **), and no reason to be an Ironman.
Rock/HHH was a good varied match, but no reason to be an Ironman rather than a 2 out of 3 falls.

Angle/Lesnar, made sense for it to be an Ironman

Benoit/HHH, made sense to be an Ironman

Cena/Orton, made some sense for it to be an Ironman, although the timing of it seemed off to me, should have been a month earlier in their feud.

I would not mind a Punk/Danielson 60 minute match, but I would rather it be a straight up match scheduled for PPV, goes on as the 3rd match with 7 scheduled, starts say 45 minutes into the PPV, ends at 1:43 into the PPV. Now that would be epic.

This is actually a pretty sweet topic to think about. For me, i would really like to see a John Morrison VS Chris Jericho Iron Man match. I think John morrison could hang with jericho in the ring and i think they could have a good match and put on one hell of a show.

I personally would love to see CM Punk and Daniel Bryan battle it out for an hour. I to this day have never seen the full HBK/Hart match but I loved the Lesnar/Angle match and the Benoit/Triple H match.

Punk and Bryan would just be a dream match that could actually happen.

Dragon vs Jericho would suit this type of match, but for a more physical stiff hard hitting match for 60 mins, dragon and punk would absolutly own big time, hopefully they do it in the grandest of them all....... wrestlemania

Well, I would like to see Cena vs Undertaker in one at Wrestlemania. I don't care if Taker is old. He can still go and it could maybe be his last match. It would be cool to see him leave on his back, but I don't want him to lose at Wrestlemania so I don't know how it could happen. His opponent I chose was John Cena because any other wouldn't really make me want to watch it that much. Not even CM Punk.

On a side note, I was bored by HBK's ironman match with Hart. Maybe because they did too many rest holds, but that's just my opinion.

The problem with an iron man match is that it eats up SO much time and there's no point to watching anything up until the last five minutes. In the Bret/Shawn match what happened until the last few minutes that you needed to see? Bret had Shawn in the Sharpshooter with a minute left and we were tied up. That's the whole match right there. I wouldn't want to see another one, at least not one that's an hour long.

As for people in it, you want people with cardio. Cena is a great choice for it as he's in incredible shape and never gets tired. it seems. As for an opponent, hard to say. That's the tricky part really as it's hard to pick someone with enough energy and stamina to last that long. Hard to say who could go against him but I think Cena is a must in it.

The dream iron man match for me would be Jericho V Micheals but doesnt look likely to happen now and is another topic.

The problem today is that a simple 60 minute iron man match would be hard to pull off because the product is aimed at kids, would they really want to see a strieght 60 minutes of wrestling? Cena V Orton worked last year because it had the no DQ stipulation. The other problem is not enough guys seem to have more than one style. As far as the current WWE superstars I would like to see in a iron man match, I would go with Daniel Bryan V Jack Swagger as the two could put on a great wrestling match in my opinion, there match on Raw a couple of weeks back was good, but this would be great.

I have to agree with klunderbunker. Iron man matches seem soooo unnecessary. They eat up so much time and nothing important happens until the end. I remember watching the shawn michaels vs. bret hart on pay per view and I was so bored by the end. I think it actually does these wrestlers a disservice because it's really hard for them to go that long, and hard for us to watch for that long.

That being said, I don't want to see another iron man match. At least not for an hour. Make it half an hour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back