• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WWE/WWF Botches - The Master List

Midgetmania619

Occasional Pre-Show
Hello, WrestleZoners.

I'm not usually one to contribute to Forums, but, seeing as forums often do a majority of smart minds and lack of trolls, I thought I'd seek a few responses here.

Firstly, what do you think of botches?

What is the most gruesome botch you've seen. or at least know of/recall? (Please don't talk about deaths - that's in a whole other league to a mere mistake.)

What is the funniest commentary and wrestling botch you've seen?

What is the most pathetic (i.e. "I can't believe he botched that...") botch you've seen on commentary or in ring? (My candidate is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeULgzSBFXw mostly because of his ignorance during the argument - volume up a little, please :) ).

Lastly and importantly, do botches - especially obvious ones - distract you from the illusion wrestling persuades, which can be interpreted differently by many, but, put simply, the illusion of a superhuman fight?

Great list (series) here if you're interested in botches:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8B86405773A3D750
And you can find a lot of other sweet botches scattered around different channels. :p

(Colour is placed so the people who skim articles notice it. Thanks! :) )

Holy multi-colored post.

I'd say the worst botch I've ever seen was when Kurt Angle went for a moonsault off of the top rope onto Hardcore Holly. Either Holly didn't get into the right position or Angle overshot it, but all I remember was Angle's knees coming directly down on top of Holly's arm. Holly broke his arm and had to have screws and I THINK a metal rod to set it, all wrapped in a plaster cast.

There was another one from Holly, though no fault of anyone. I forget who he was in a match with, but they put Holly through a table and the metal lining underneath sliced open his back. He finished...but MAN was that sucker bleeding.

Damn Holly got hurt a lot.

When something bad happens to Bob Holly, an angel gets his wings. Seriously, all of that shit couldn't have happened to a worse guy.

The most gruesome "botch" would probably be Sid breaking his leg, or Owen Hart piledriving Steve Austin.

I'd say when Brock Lesnar held Vince McMahon up for an F5 for ages while Kurt was shaking the cage door to try and get it open lol.

3 stand out for me:

Brock Lesnar having Undertaker (???) in the F-5 when Kurt Angle was meant to come through the Cage door and break up the move. The cage door wouldnt open so Brock stood there for what seemed like a lifetime holding Taker up waiting for Kurt to get in!

Owen Hart piledriving Steve Austin, then celebrating for like 2 minutes so Austin could get himself together to make a botched role up (no fault of Austins btw)

And then most famous of all - The Shockmaster. Fat Tugboat being built up as a monster before breaking through a wall yet tripping and losing his mask. Hilarious.

A really bad one for me, probably not the worst but nonetheless looked awful on TV, was Orton's botched RKO on Jericho when he was in the Walls.

Jericho blatantly saw him attempt it, yet didn't even move after it failed, allowing for Orton to try again. It just looked tacky, and even though Orton was young at the time, he should have impov'd and perhaps DDT'd him or something along those lines.

Botches suck, but they're hilarious.

If you want a bunch of botches or accidents, check this video out: [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EgJf_nfBf4&feature=plcp&context=C41e2ad7VDvjVQa1PpcFOR5_8G4QSpzDu3qGoO9Cpw8_JJ8cRimAM=[/YOUTUBE]

Also, look at this guys page. He has tons of videos of everything wrestling, mostly all compilations of Entrances, Vignettes, Feuds, Botches, Accidents, exc.

Favorite Botches...

JBL vs Jericho: Jericho went for a bulldog but JBL didn't go down. Completely hilarious.

Angle vs Shane O'Mac KOTR: The GLASS WOULDN'T BREAK! Poor Shane.

RVD vs Dudley Boyz: Table doesn't break on first 3D so they have to try it again a second time. :p

Holy multi-colored post.

I'd say the worst botch I've ever seen was when Kurt Angle went for a moonsault off of the top rope onto Hardcore Holly. Either Holly didn't get into the right position or Angle overshot it, but all I remember was Angle's knees coming directly down on top of Holly's arm. Holly broke his arm and had to have screws and I THINK a metal rod to set it, all wrapped in a plaster cast.

There was another one from Holly, though no fault of anyone. I forget who he was in a match with, but they put Holly through a table and the metal lining underneath sliced open his back. He finished...but MAN was that sucker bleeding.

Damn Holly got hurt a lot.

The match you are talking about was against RVD back on WWECW. It was a deep gash. Holly suplexed RVD through the table and took the worst of it.

Some of the more memorable botches for me are when Brock went for the shooting star press in his match against Angle and broke his neck. Angle sold it well but Brock took off from across 1/2 the ring and I think the only think of Brock's that actually hit was his head on Angle's arm.

Brock had a couple others as well. One also involving Holly. He was in a match with Holly and went for a powerbomb. A lot of people claim that Holly was sandbagging and it pissed Brock off so he just lifted him and dropped him on his neck. The other being his match with Albert back in the day and when he F-5's him he drops him on his head.

Back in the EC when RVD hit the 5 Star Frog Splash on Triple H and he basically crushed his larynx.

There is one that is funny to me to this day. Shawn Michaels was facing Vader. Shawn went up top for his elbow drop and Vader was supposed to move. Well Vader didn't move so Shawn landed on his feet next to him and stomped his head and yelled at him to move.

Oh and one more Holly moment. Back at the '01 Rumble the Undertaker tossed him out in the corner. He was supposed to hang on however. He failed to do so because his feet hit while still holding the ropes, so he jumps back up onto the apron and rolls back in

This one isn't from WWE but i saw it on the best of nitro dvd its the funniest one i have ever seen. Dean Malenko vs Rey Mysterio Malenko whips Mysterio into the corner Mysterio attempts to jump up onto the top rope with a foot on either side but his right foot slipped so his yam-bags as Tazz says went straight into the rope and you could see him writhing in pain

By no means is this a huge botch, but I was re watching WM 20 a few days ago and during the Undertaker/Kane match (no where near as good as their 1st mania match) Taker was going for a Last Ride and Kane was supposed to flip him over into a sling shot of sorts where Takers neck goes across the top rope. They were too far from the ropes and all Taker could do is grab the ropes as he went was coming down to brace his fall from the mat.

Lawler was trying to play it off like Taker blocked Kane's flip but of course that wasn't supposed to happen.

Wouldnt it be the Owen Hart incident. I mean it killed him. Im meant there is no commin back from that botch.

The most memorable one for me (if you can call it a botch) is when Vince Mcmahon came strutting down to the ring during the '95 Royal Rumble, only to blow out his knee.

It just created an awkward situation, ruined the power of his march down to ringside and effectively just about baffled everyone watching.

As far as in ring errors go, it is hard to criticise a performer. It goes along with the terriotory of performing live on such a regular basis. Although, it has to be said, Sin Cara really did take the cake as the king of botches during his introductory run in the WWE - he messed up a ring entrance on multiple occassions - sure you could blame others for setting it up incorrectly, but it was his BIG thing - don't keep screwing it up!!!!

Would have to go for the Brock Lesnar Shooting Star Press against Angle, given the nature of the event and the way he landed, not only could it have finish his career it could have done serious damage to the Wrestlemania name in the process.

My most favorite one was, I guess its not a botch of a MOVE, but Too Cool was in a 3 vs 3 tag match, and Rikishi was in the ring. Scotty Too Hotty is bouncing up and down being excited and getting the crowd hyped for the incoming hot tag. As Rikishi gets about 1 second from tagging Scotty, Scotty's foot slips on the rope and he drops down to the floor outside the ring, and all Rikishi could do was look stunned and tag in Brian Christopher. No one got hurt, it wasn't too big of a flub, but it was just hilarious to look at.

Worst botch in my mind right now is the Sin Cara one where he was taking on Primo I think and he went up for that top rope flip bottom move but slipped and fell to the floor and had to quickly climb up again to finish the move.

The problem I have with that is that that move is apparently supposed to be one of his finishers... derp! It's a TERRIBLE finisher to have. It relies way too much on the opponent following along with the move and making Sin Cara look good. I like finishers that have the apperance that the person doing the move is controlling it and the person taking the move has almost no option but to take it... like the Stunner, Trouble in Paradise, Backstabber, etc.

Announcer botches are the worst because it completely takes you out of the match.

In wrestling sometimes botches can end up working well for the match. For example at Summerslam '92 when Bret jumped over the ropes and Bulldog forgot to catch him it resulted in a really cool reverse Bulldog.

Its hilarious usually when a person botches a promo like, IMO the greatest botch ever:

[YOUTUBE]a1o82BVKFp8[/YOUTUBE]

One of the most annoying announcer botches I remember is often with McMahon announcing because there were often times he would call a move or spot before it actually happened. In the first main event the move Andre uses right before he pins Hogan is a good example of this.

Match botches don't bother me too much (unless John Cena is busted open and the stop the damn match to fix him up), just like in real life botches can happen but when announcer botches bad (like with my McMahon example) it really takes you out of the match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back