• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WWE United States Champion: Who Should It Be?

Make Your Choice

• Damien Sandow

• Ryback

• Brodus Clay

• Sin Cara

• Tyson Kidd

• Justin Gabriel

• Drew McIntyre

• Cody Rhodes

• Daniel Bryan

• Antonio Cesaro

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
Since March, the United States Championship has been held by Santino Marella. Santino is someone that consistently draws positive responses from the live crowds whenever he comes out. In truth, a lot of fans still enjoy his antics and seem genuinely happy to see him. Given that, it's at least understandable why Santino was given the title if not agreed with.

However, simply based on the number of complaints I've heard and read on forums throughout these months, I think it's a safe bet that a LOT of people, me included, are ready to see Santino's run ended so that a more serious reign can take place. Santino has long since gone as far as he's going to as US champ and his schtick has gotten old in my eyes. The WWE has a number of promising young guys with lots of potential on the mid-card and I think any of them might be able to do something with the title and vice versa:

Damien Sandow - While I personally think that it's unlikely, I could see Sandow as a good heel United States Champion. I've enjoyed his mic work from the beginning and he's been fun to watch inside the ring. He's comfortable in his skin and has an aggressive/athletic style in the ring. Sandow's big drawback right now is that we haven't seen a lot of him in matches, other than basically tearing through Yoshi Tatsu, Zack Ryder and a few others in 2 to 3 minutes. I think the potential is there and it wouldn't bother me to see Sandow take the title from Santino, but I also would agree with someone who thinks he's not ready and we need to see more.

Ryback - Ryback is essentially the new version of Goldberg. Since returning with his new character, Ryback has spent the past several months tearing through jobbers from the indy circuit and frequent Superstars regulars such as Curt Hawkins & Tyler Reks. It's not the most original gimmick out there, but it is one that Ryback has done a good job with. He has the look, the power and the intensity to pull off this kind of gimmick. Vince is said to really like Ryback and I think Ryback is someone that we could see in the US title hunt at some point. I don't think it'll be now, however, as Ryback has yet to have a real feud. On SD! last night, we saw what MIGHT be the start of a feud with Jinder Mahal. It's nothing particularly exciting, but at least it'll be a feud and a feud is what Ryback needs in order to move forward.

Brodus Clay - In a lot of ways, Brodus Clay is like Santino Marella, only about 100 pounds or so heavier. Clay's Funkasaurus character is also something that live fans consistently respond to and Clay's done a good job with it. Let's face it, most of us were floored when Brodus Clay came out as this character rather than the big bad monster heel we were expecting. Clay's shown some legit charisma and personality with his Funkasaurus character, which I think could be better for him in the long run as it shows that he can do more than just be a stereotypical monster heel that we've seen a thousand times. Like Ryback, Clay is someone that hasn't really had a feud as of yet. Like Santino, he's booked as a safe, family friendly babyface that comes off mostly as harmless fun. Also like Santino, you get the sense that Clay is capable of more if a character change were to take place. Currently, I don't see Clay progressing any further for the time being, especially not against Santino, whom he's allied himself with in the past.

Sin Cara - Sin Cara is someone that's come to the WWE from Mexico where he dominated as Mistico. It's been a mixed response altogether for Sin Cara upon arriving. Prior to suffering a knee injury that kept him out for close to a year in 2011, Sin Cara's matches were frequent botch fests. Some blamed this on communication problems as Cara hardly speaks any English, yet he still had the same problems against wrestlers of Hispanic descent such as Del Rio, Hunico, Chavo Guerrero and Primo. Since his return, Sin Cara's botches have very much decreased and he does bring a unique, high flying offense. The Lucha Libre style is something that a lot of American fans aren't exposed to and it's a novelty that makes Sin Cara stand out. Hispanics are among WWE's biggest growing viewers, so having Sin Cara as the United States Champion has something of a novelty to it in and of itself. At the same time, I don't see a title in Sin Cara's immediate future. He just came back from serious injury and I still get the sense that he's someone that's still trying to work the bugs out. Given his botching, his lack of English skills (presuming he still barely speaks English) and his return; I just don't see WWE taking the risk on him right now. Someday maybe, but not now.

Tyson Kidd - According to reports, it's been said that Tyson Kidd is going to be getting a push in the near future. Qualifying for the World Heavyweight Championship MITB match and scoring a clean win over Tensai were certainly surprises. As far as his in-ring ability goes, Tyson Kidd is a star in my eyes. He has a nice mix of athleticism, high flying and mat techniques. He fits a similar mold in terms of ability, look and size as a lot of guys in WWE. Most of the top guys in WWE are probably between 5'10" and 6'0" tall and weigh 200-220 lbs. Kidd's problem has always been promos. The few times I've heard him talk, he's given some pretty sorry ass performances. If Kidd can bring that up to speck, then I could see him at least as a viable World Championship contender in a year or two. I think the United States Championship would be a good place for Kidd right now. The title needs a fresh start and Kidd's someone that's been slowly and steadily building support among fans since the Hart Dynasty broke up. He's getting good pops from fans and has been for a while, so I think he could be a good babyface champ if given a shot. He's also made some waves as part of a tag team with Justin Gabriel, so Kidd is someone that does have solid potential as either a singles or tag team wrestler right now.

Justin Gabriel - Gabriel has suffered from the same sorts of problems as Kidd, though I do believe he's better on the mic than Kidd. Gabriel is fast, agile, athletic and has a fun, high paced offense inside the ring. He & Kidd make a good team, but I think Kidd is the stronger singles competitor right now. I don't think Gabriel is a viable contender for the title, but he's got potential I believe.

Drew McIntyre - In my eyes, McIntyre is one of the most underused and underrated guys on the WWE roster. McIntyre has done nothing but improve and improve considerably since dropping the Intercontinental Championship. He's much better in the ring, he's actually improved on the mic by a solid degree, he's much better at conveying emotions rather than the glowering, deadpan delivery he used to do during his intial push. McIntyre is now mostly on Superstars or the rebranded NXT. McIntyre is someone that's quite young, I think he's only 27 or 28, so I'm hoping that WWE is smart enough to see what they have with him over time. The fact that he hasn't been released gives me some comfort, quite frankly. In the past, the WWE has pushed some of their top guys too quickly, resuling in them peaking far to soon and sometimes losing steam. For instance, both Cena & Orton were World Champions when they were in their mid 20s. I could see McIntyre as a United States Champion. It wouldn't take much work, I think, to get McIntyre there.

Cody Rhodes - I don't think that anybody can deny that Cody Rhodes may honestly be the best Intercontinental Champion the WWE has seen in over a decade. Cody Rhodes' first run as champion, in many ways, did remind me of the runs of some of the great champs of the past. Rhodes, while very young, brought a sense of stability & relevance to the title that it really hadn't had in quite a while. With a run of more than 230 days, it's among the 10 longest reigns in the history of the title. I can definitely see Cody Rhodes being used to do for the United States Championship what he helped do for the IC title. Rhodes is only 27 years old and while I wouldn't mind seeing him pushed right to the main event scene, I can at least understand WWE wanting to wait. Cody Rhodes has improved vastly over roughly 2.5 years both inside the ring, on the mic and just as a presence overall. He's a young, talented guy that could do a lot for the title.

Daniel Bryan - From an overall standpoint, I don't think any WWE wrestler has improved more in 2012 than Daniel Bryan. He went from being a relatively bland babyface to being one of the most over heels on the entire roster all within the span of a month or so. Bryan's delivered some great promos and has had some of the best matches you'll see this year. He's good enough inside the ring to make cage matches against The Big Show & Mark Henry entertaining, so that in and of itself says he's among the best in the world. I can see someone saying that Bryan going after the United States Championship would be a demotion. After all, since December, Bryan is someone that's either been carrying or chasing a World Championship and has been in some of the most high profile angles in the company. However, putting Bryan back as a mid-card champion and giving him a strong run gives him something relevant to do because I have a feeling he's pretty much out of the WWE and World Heavyweight Championship pictures for the time being. It looks like we're going to have Sheamus & Del Rio for a while, then maybe Sheamus & Ziggler again after that. Over on Raw, it's going to be CM Punk & John Cena for sure, probably Big Show will be included in that scene as well. AJ is the Raw GM, not sure how it'll work out, but the angle involving AJ and Bryan appears to be over. There's talk that there MIGHT, just MIGHT, be a match between Bryan & Charlie Sheen at SummerSlam. Given the choice, I'd rather see Bryan booked as a strong US champ rather than have him job out at a major ppv for the human trainwreck that is Charlie Sheen. It'll generate lots of buzz I'm sure, but Bryan's too good for that in my eyes. But, unfortunately, I see a Bryan vs. Sheen program more likely than Bryan bringing glory back to the United States Championship.

Antonio Cesaro - Since the stock of the US title is pretty low at the moment, I think Antonio Cesaro might be in the ideal spot to take the title from Santino. With the possible exceptions of Kidd & Gabriel, Cesaro's current stock is possibly lower than that of anybody else I've listed. Cesaro is still quite new and he's only been in a handful of matches the past few months. I've liked what I've seen out of him thus far, however. What encourages me the most is that Cesaro scored a clean win over Santino on SmackDown! last night in a non-title match. Michael Cole was saying that this win should put Cesaro in the running for a title shot, which I'm hoping is forshadowing things to come.

Who do you think should take the title from Santino Marella? Any of these guys or is there someone else that you have in mind?

Too me the only reasonable choice right now would to give it to Damien Sandow... He was just given the rub with DX and him and Santino could put on, I think anyways, a possibly hialrious promo

I think maybe they should put this as the SummerSlam pre-show on youtube? As you stated the U.S title has very low stock right now and is kind of a low mid-card title and this could give it a bit of exposure since it hasn't been defended in quite some time, and as previously reported on wrestlezone they were going to switch the IC title to raw and the U.S title to smackdown, this could be a great place for up and coming talents to battle over the U.S title and Damien Sandow could be a great starting point.

Personally I'd love to see Drew hold the US title but ofcourse that probably won't happen and the reason I'm for this is because I'm a die hard fan and will root for him no matter what.

But I think Sandow and Kidd make the most sense right now, Sandow has been getting alot of exposure as of late and he's on the right track. I think people have realized what a great character he is and he's meant to do good things in the WWE, it's still somewhat early for him but considering how well he's been doing if the company has faith in him and want to propel him even further then this would be a great move.

Meanwhile Kidd is building up some nice momentum with his back and forth's against Tensai, I thought he was doomed to mediocrity after the break up of The Heart Dynasty but he's making his resurgence now and it's great to see. I think he'd be the perfect candidate to be the next US champion, he's very entertaining in the ring and I think he could get some nice exposure with the fans as champion.

Santino has stunk up the United States Championship so much that it's practically worth nothing now. The next champion certainly have a tough ask to make the title worth something again. Out of your list I see Daniel Bryan or Cody Rhodes are capable of doing that. For Daniel Bryan it's kind of a been there, done that thing so I think Cody Rhodes is a better candidate. Multiple solid mid-card reigns could be what he needs to take the next step, just like it did for Dolph Ziggler.

Looking at things though I can see Antonio Cesaro taking the title since he scored a clean victory over Santino this Smackdown. Possibly doing some European gimmick with it after he wins it which could be interesting.

Hell no to someone like Brodus Clay, the title is already at a low point now and him having the title would be the final nail to the coffin.

Their should be a US Title vs. IC Title match where the winner gets both and the US title then pretty much goes away. I understand why they had it when Raw and Smackdown were pretty much "seperate" brands, but what is the point now. The IC title will always be WWE's"mid card" belt, and since the brand split is all but over, why keep it around?

I also don't see the point in both the WWE and WHC titles now...but that is just me...

Personally I'd be happy if Antonio Cesaro held the strap.

Hell, he already beat him in a non-title match, why can't he just build up the US Championship's prestige. Antonio could say something like how he is European and how a guy from Europe is holding the US prized possession, the United States Championship. I don't know, plus it would help Swagger turn face and be like an American hero or something.

i'd personally go with Cesaro and have him replace it with the European Championship during his tenure as champ. Then once it's time for him to lose the title you could easily go back to the US Championship again.

Heck, this would be a good chance to possibly turn someone like Swagger face and do the whole European vs USA schtick. Obviously this would be a few months down the line but just a thought.

Although I haven't seen much from him since i don't really watch smackdown. Id say Sandow. I've heard good things about him and i liked his promo on raw 1000. Those mid card titles are made to get people over and i think a nice run with the title would elevate him.

Have santino issue an open challenge on raw for his u.s belt or have aj get mad at santino and book santino vs ryback have ryback squash santino and have him hold the belt for a year. since hes already appearing on every ppv he shud defend the belt every ppv and look unbeatable it could possibly help the belts credibility and if ryback improves in the ring maybe have him beat the WHC on a ppv kinda like ultimate warrier did with the IC belt.

I think it should be Sandow. He is good on the mic and could really brag about being the US champ. He could talk up how important the belt used to be and how he will bring it back to that level. Kind of like Cody did with bringing back the old IC title, only with Sandow really follow through with it. He can back it up in the ring to, and they key is for him to make regular title defenses.

Swagger with his All American American gimmick + his "conservative haircut" as Cole put it + This being Election Year + US Champion

You can do sort of a douchebag over bearing gimmick and give him a manager who can parade around.

Basically latch onto to the whole presidential election, get a stereotypical hippie democrat vs a douchebag rich republican.

As long as they dont go deep into it (mentioning gay rights or abortion) it would work just fine. Let them feud for the US belt and match being just at election time.

...Hey its better than what they have done with that belt and Swagger since..forever.

Antonio Cesaro is the best choice imo, given as you said he beat Santino clean this past Friday. Plus having a European wearing the US title has almost always been heat drawing over the years. Cesaro (Casttagnoli) has always been impressive at drawing heat as the cocky foreigner with his "Very European" gimmick, and will be equally as impressive imo with his current character.

I think there's 2 reasons Santino's held the belt so long.

1) As the OP mentioned, he's fairly over with the live crowds. Gets a good response. Yada yada.

2) They have so much going on, they can't focus enery on the U.S. title. Reports of them wanting to make the IC title more relevant with defenses on RAW and what not could prove that to be true.

But despite his general pops, I think Santino is starting to get boring for even the casual viewer. Remember when they asked which title we wanted to see defended on RAW 1000? If I'm not mistaken, Layla and the Diva's Championship got more votes than Santino did. That's sad.

Me personally, I voted for RYBACK! I think it's simple. They want to keep the U.S. title on the back burner, on our screens, but not the focus of any storyline or something that requires significant TV time. Put the belt on Ryback, and give these fools a reason to want to go out and get destoryed by him. Worse case scenario, they get murdered. Best case, they win the U.S. title. He's gonna get his weekly match and unannounced PPV match anyways, might as well give it a little more purpose. So what, he holds the belt for a year or however long. Better than Santino holding it that long. Plus when he actually lost it, it would mean something. Just my two cents.

Fair second option is Antonio Cesaro. Dude did just beat Santino, and I think he'd get over fantasically as a heel carrying around the U.S. strap. Could conflict with the, on the back burner, no real importance though if they aren't able to showcase him weekly.

I think it would make perfect sense for Sandow to take the title off Santino. Sandow and Santino are like polar opposites in character with Santino being a fun-loving goof and Sandow being the guy against all those kind of things a proper feud for the US title is a pretty big possibility. I could see Sandow calling Santino out one random Smackdown as a paper champion who panders to the crowd then challenge Santino for the title. Santino could then come out and accept the challenge and lose. Santino could get one or two rematches but have Sandow prevail each time. So my vote is for Sandow to be the next US Champ, maybe that could add a little prestige back to the title.

My vote went to other as we see Jinder Mahal on a constant basis and he def gets heat as IMO he's like The Iron Sheik and Muhammad Hassan as that type. I think Jinder needs the mini run to test out as he, Drew McIntyre, Heath Slater are everybodies whipping boyz and should have at least a US or IC Title Run. So 1 of these 3 or Damien Sandow or Antonio Cesaro as all these 5 need it.

Drew McIntyre. McIntyre is one of the most talented and underrated heels of the past decade. He has the looks and the tools to succeed, he just needs work on his mic skills, and to be pushed. Having McIntyre decimate Santino on SmackDown and win the title with ease would immediately push him a great deal towards regaining his lost momentum.

I'd like to see Ryback win the US title. His unbeaten run could help to make the title look a bit stronger going forward. Also as WWE are slowly building Ryback it makes sense for him to win the lowest singles strap first as they build him towards the major titles.

Sandow should be champ in my opinion. I think he deserves something substantial to do in the WWE apposed to facing jobbers each week. I think it is obvious his mic-work is impressive and the only way to show his wrestling ability is to have him feud with someone and that should be for a belt.

Mcintyre is another good choice. He deserves much more than he currently gets. I wouldn't mind if Ryback got the belt either. He is the opposite of Sandow.

I would be upset if Rhodes got the belt. He does not need to be back in the mid-card. He has to have a proper feud with someone in the main-event.

First of all, I want to urge all of you to personally thank Jack-Hammer for taking the time to create such an extensive and eloquent opening post. This is why Jack-Hammer is one of the most intelligent people on these forums, and you are not.

The US title is an incredibly diluted accolade in today's WWE; most commentators are in accord as to why this has happened: the belt is not defended frequently. One of the best feuds over the US championship was a best of 5 series between Booker T and John Cena. This ensured that the belt was competed for over several weeks on Smackdown, culminating in a final PPV match.

Another issue is that the title doesn't have the level of star power behind it that it initially had. For example, when the championship was reintroduced in 2003, the tournament final was contested by Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit, who put a typically entertaining match. 8 months later, both men exited Wrestlemania as world champions.

Of course, the US title's glory years were during the most distinct division of the brands, so the championship sadly cannot enjoy the same amount of limelight as before, however 15 minutes a week is not too much to ask for, is it?

The likely successors to Santino's reign? Well, it would have to be a heel, so we can scratch off Ryback, Clay, Sin Cara, Kidd, Gabriel, and Bryan right away.

Sandow is still a noobie, but Carlito took the belt off Cena in his debut match, so that shouldn't stop anyone from picking the intellectual saviour. The motivation is self-evident too.

Drew McIntrye is so far down the ladder he's virtually on the ground. The NXT championship is more his league nowadays.

My interest in Cody has waned since he dropped the IC belt to Christian, so defeating Santino could be a good way to restore some of Rhodes' momentum.

And of course, we're all dying for Cesaro to win the belt and bring back the European championship in the process. Maybe.

One scenario that hasn't been considered is for the Miz to win the title and become a double champion (without unifying the belts, of course).

But it seems that Damien Sandow should be the next United States Champion. He has a very accessible and entertaining character that deserves TV time, and could help bring some much-deserved exposure to the fledgling championship.

Though I wish Kane would win it, just once, since he's held every pretty much every other championship going.

My vote goes to David Otunga. He's an established character, and we haven't seen much of him since Big Johnny left.

I can see him coming back from whatever he's doing, and beating Santino on Raw to take the belt.

I'll say Cody Rhodes. It can be a nice feud between Santino and Cody since they had there run in's in the past with Cody ripping on Santino basically saying he doesn't look the part of a champion(which he is 100% correct). I say give it to Rhodes and have him drop it to Tyson Kidd in the future setting Rhodes up for a World Title push while building Tyson Kidd who in my opinion can be a star in the WWE.

Damian Sandow but I ain't sure he is ready yet. He still needs some seasoning and time to develop, he would make a great US champion. Give home time and I think by the end of 2013/2014 he could be a world champion.

Great mic skills and decent physique, he would fit perfectly as a us champion. But I would give him time on Smackdown to begin with. Then steadily move him him to raw and have him win the US Title. Even bring in some new guy from NXT or finally give Riley a push as US champion and feud with Sandow.

i came close to picking daniel bryan but in the end went for other as there is one other person that is not on the list that i think should get the us title and that person is wade barrett. if he got the title it would really put the us title division back on the map. he's a great worker and just as good on the mic. this would also be a great way to bring barrett back. after beating santino have barrett keep the belt until the rumble then have him face undertaker at wrestlemania. this would push barrett right back in the main event picture.

Brodus Clay is a great perfomer and has already shown he will do what ever the companie tells him. ie. his current chacter he needs alittle work but has alot of patential. He should be feuding with the big SLOW . Plus its not like the United states tittle gets defended on regular bases once every 3-6 months or when they want the tittle to chance hands.

I personally don't care who win's the US Belt, as long the belt is off Santino. I think Santino made that belt into a joke and made that belt worthless. The US Belt had champions like Harley Race, Ric Flair, Ricky Steamboat, Roddy Piper, Bret Hart, Steve Austin, and other legendary wrestlers. Santino's name should not be in the same list as those legends.

If I had to choose to be the new US Champion, it would be Damien Sandow. He is a great heel, he can talk great on the mic and he can wrestler. Sandow would be the man to bring credibility back to the US Belt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back