• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WWE Top 10 Matches: 2009

AK2V8

Pre-Show Stalwart
I have decided to make a series based on the top 10 WWE matches. From top 10 matches of one gimmick match, to top 10 matches of a certain year. So the opening thread of this new series was a year chosen at random:2009.
First I will put in my top 10 then all have to do is show your opinion and list YOUR top 10 of 2009.

Honorable Mentions:
Rey Mysterio (c) vs. Chris Jericho,
No Holds Barred Match for the Intercontinental Championship
Extreme Rules

CM Punk vs. Finlay vs. Shelton Benjamin vs. Christian vs. Kane vs. Kofi Kingston vs. Mark Henry,
Money in the Bank Ladder Match
Wrestlemania XXV

D Generation X (Triple H and Shawn Michaels) vs. The Legacy (Cody Rhodes and Ted DiBiase),
Tag Team Hell in a Cell Match
Hell in a Cell

Rey Mysterio (c) vs. Dolph Ziggler,
Intercontiental Championship
Summerslam

Chris Jericho vs. Ricky Steamboat,
Backlash

10. Rey Mysterio (c) vs. John Morrison,
Intercontinental Championship
Smackdown

This match had a fair share of fantastic high-flying action, and the "respect" angle played off nicely. The finish was great as well, with JoMo avoiding the turnbuckle hurricarana.

9. Christian (c) vs. Shelton Benjamin,
Ladder Match for the ECW Championship
TLC: Tables, Ladders and Chairs

Both men had huge history in with the ladder, and it proved so at TLC. Many fresh spots as expected, and for once we got to see (botched) blood.
8. John Cena (c) vs. Mike Knox vs. Rey Mysterio vs. Chris Jericho vs. Kane vs. Edge, Elimination Chamber Match for the World Heavyweight Championship
No Way Out

Huge shock value with Edge taking out Kofi Kingston and taking his place, who had recently lost the WWE Championship that same night. Good chamber usage, and great work-rate from all the superstars in the match.

7. Edge (c) vs. Jeff Hardy,
Ladder Match for the World Heavyweight Championship
Extreme Rules

Very innovative, and very exciting. A rollercoaster ride that saw Jeff win only his second world championship, only for CM Punk to cash in MITB and FINALLY turn heel.

6. John Cena (c) vs. Edge,
Last Man Standing Match for the World Heavyweight Championship
Backlash

Had a great crowd fight, showed Edge's "hate" of Super Cena, and had the awsome spot of Big Show chokeslaming Cena through the spotlight. AWSOME.

5. John Cena vs. Shawn Michaels,
Raw

Despite this being their 4th meeting, all 4 being "singles" matches, they still managed to put on a 4-5 star match equal to their other 3 outings in 2007 with the great angle of HBK unwillingly doing the "dirty work" of JBL.

4. Randy Orton (c) vs. John Cena,
60-minute Anything Goes Ironman Match for the WWE Championship
Bragging Rights

A match that had absolutely EVERYTHING. Announcers table, table, steel chair, crowd fight, steel steps, Orton using the pyro, Orton smashing Cena through the scoreboard, a double finisher, interference (Rhodes and DiBiase), Kofi Kingston's save started a criticaly acclaimed feud with Orton later down the line and Orton tapping out in the final seconds. Brilliant storytelling from Orton, with the only bad thing being the whole "super cena".

3. Jeff Hardy (c) vs. CM Punk,
Tables Ladders and Chairs Match for the World Heavyweight Championship
Summerslam

Was another great tlc match with the absolutely awsome spot of jeff's swantom bomb off a fucking huge ladder through the announcers table with a great heel victory from CM Punk and after the match Undertaker made one of his better returns to the WWE, which is rich saying that Undertaker returns are now officialy stale.

2. Chris Jericho (c) vs. Rey Mysterio,
Mask vs Title Match for the Intercontinental Championship
The Bash

Both men brought their A-Game. Alot of awsome counters, and awsome storytelling from Jericho. The finish was great, with Jericho unmasking Rey only for Mysterio to have a second mask on: capatilising on Y2J's confusion for the 619 and pin.

1. Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker,
Wrestlemania XXV

Easily the match where I marked out like I was fucking 5 years old. Brilliant back and forth action, and finally WWE gave us a match that was 30 minutes long. Both men kicking out of eachothers finishers was epic stuff, which made me mark out like fuck. This match was easily their a best wrestlemania match of all-time contender.

I like your list except i would add the DX vs Jeri-Show TLC 2009 and Jeri Show vs Dx vs John Cena and Undertaker. Those two were solid and entertaining matches with interesting spots and endings. Also the 2 main events from Survivor Series 2009 with HBK vs HHH vs Cena and Undertaker vs Jericho vs Big Show were excellent matches too.

I agree about match quality with the two survivor series triple threats but in the end they felt too predictable. The TLC was ok but I didnt like Big Show's involvement.

That was a very good read, AK2V8! I really enjoyed it though I didn't see most of those matches because I only ordered one PPV (royal rumble). I'd like to say the cage match between Hardy and Punk was really good though, a great sendoff match for Jeff Hardy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back