WWE To Bring Back The Diva Search Competition

King_of_Swing1520

The King of Swing
Big Update: WWE To Bring Back The Diva Search Competition
by Nick Paglino
Jan 26, 2011
PWTorch.com and PWInsider.com are reporting that WWE has disclosed in a recent web conference call that it will be bringing back the Diva Search Competition.

WWE's Director of Partner Marketing, Julie Stenz, said a ten-week competition would be held during WWE's regularly scheduled programming and that sponsorship opportunities would be available. It is presumed that the competition will play out in segments during Raw and/or Smackdown as it has in the past.

While no start date for the competition has been revealed, it's being said that WWE has been auditioning women for the competition over the course of the last several months.

um.....what? is this not what nxt is for? is this not what the divas season of nxt was? its not like the divas search has drawn big ratings or developed any real stars. its just more models running around. what are you thoughts on this? and does anyone really want to see this?

oh i take that back. the divas search did create 1 new star. The Miz!?

Sure why not? I mean it's not like you need actual wrestling talent to be a Diva. A lot of the girls on TV today are there from the Diva Search. If WWE doesn't care about girls that can wrestle, why bother? I mean hell look at Kaitlyn. She literally had never wrestled before but she had a great rack and looked good in shorts so she got a job as a Diva. This really isn't something that means anything at all as the girls they already sign aren't anything special other than for their looks.

It's times like this that I wish the ratings system worked differently than it does. That way they can see when I and many others change the channel during this nonsense. I tolerate the Divas stuff because it isn't always total crap, but I have no interest in watching a bevy of tramps strut around on Raw for ten weeks. The only thing that would change my mind about this would be if Awesome Kong was a participant.

I don't mind the diva search on TV. And I think the diva surge has to do with the youth movement, wanting to bring in hot young girls that will get better over time and become household names. They're probably looking for the PG versions of Trish and Sable. I don't mind the diva search because of the eye candy factor. I think Layla is a good enough example of diva search payoffs. Its not like they probably pay the contestants a lot of money for giving them exposure. I don't think WWE loses out on this kind of thing. And I think after next season of NXT they'll cut it and have Tough Enough be their new guy show. Though I actually think they should keep both because Tough Enough is for atheletes who don't already work for OVW or FCW.

Michelle Mccool, Layla, Mayrse, Eve all came from the diva search all five of those divas are pretty good in the ring compared to todays "diva standard"

I'm a little torn on this. We all know that this Diva Search is going to probably end up looking for more 'cookie cutter' girls. We haven't really seen very much 'originality' when it comes to divas since Trish, Lita, Ivory, Tori, Victoria, and Jazz, and Jacqueline, Molly Holly. We know it will come out with more of the petite, model-y looking girls that will have to be 'TRAINED' in FCW or something. I don't see what's so wrong with maybe getting more girls that are a little different looking that would have some skills already in them. Girls who are built more like athletes, since muscle weighs more than fat, and girls who have some unique-ness about them. Maybe piercings, tattoos, etc, not going OVER-BOARD phony like Ashley Massarro did, she really was trying too hard to be different in my opinion. I'd say like some girls with a little something extra behind them, a story as to 'Why they are into wrestling," and not just models etc needing more exposure. If I was doing this, I'd be like "I've always watched this since I was younger. I'm not necessarily the ideal diva body type, but I'm what girls who idolize divas look like. The regular girl at home. My uncle and dad and I would watch this as I grew up. My uncle passed away 3 years ago (2008), he was my original Hulk Hogan, always telling me to say prayers, do homework, take vitamins and I would be somebody someday. These girls at home would want somebody like themselves to be in the ring to look up to and say 'If she was able to do what her dream was...then I can do it someday too." None of this model-athlete crap. Shoot...as much fighting as I did with my sister, and the fights I did in some bars too in my earlier party years, I would think that could be a qualification. If that bareknuckles brawling was good to get Barrett into wrestling, why couldn't it be the same for a girl? I mean, enough with the 'supermodels' trying to do it all.

I don't understand the logic here. Back when they had the diva search, people didn't care and the segments bombed. When NXT season 3 was on scifi, no one cared and the segments bombed, and in fact it went so badly that the television portion was cancelled. Most of the time during programs, when the divas wrestle, it is considered by many to be "bathroom break" time because no one cares.

So why in the world would WWE bring back a contest no one cares about, with the end goal of crowning a winner who can compete in matches no one cares about?

Michelle Mccool, Layla, Mayrse, Eve all came from the diva search all five of those divas are pretty good in the ring compared to todays "diva standard"

Well someone can't count.

Whatever happened to the good ol' days where it was not about being the hottest diva but what you can do in the ring. Look at Chyna, one of the top female competators to ever step foot in a WWE ring. Chyna is just one. What about Trish Stratus and Lita? Now they are all really hot except for Chyna of course but Stratus and Lita were sexy as hell. But they would actually do some great shit in the ring. Nowadays you have the bellas, who cant wrestle, Gail Kim, who is probably one of the best they have but they job her out to the likes of lay-cool. In my opinion if they are going to have the divas search, actually have girls who can wrestle, not just eye candy that dont even know who makeup stories and pretend the watch wrestling everyweek.

I don't mind, to be honest. I've long ago determined the divas division was just for eye candy, and more candy is always a welcome thing in my books...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back