• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WWE TLC: Tables Match - John Cena VS Seth Rollins

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
It was announced on last night's Raw, via the Anonymous Raw General Manager, that John Cena will face off against Seth Rollins at TLC in a Tables Match. The match has a special stipulation in that if John Cena loses, he will no longer be #1 contender for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship and that a new #1 contender will be named at a later date.

I think this telegraphs the ending of the match but, at the same time, that might be a good thing because I think a lot of fans are eager to see Brock Lesnar take on someone else, which will almost certainly happen at the Royal Rumble.

I'm thinking that this will also ultimately take Cena down the road of bringing back The Authority. Over the next few weeks, the GM will probably wind up making more "unfair" decisions against other stars and coupled with Cena's expected loss at TLC, he'll figure that bringing back The Authority is the lesser of two evils. Sounds more heroic than him being pissed off that the computer ultimately made him forfeit his #1 contendership.

I think this telegraphs the ending of the match ....

It does, but also brings up the question: What does Cena get if he wins? The way it's being brought, he's risking a lot in exchange for nothing.

Another factor that telegraphs the match is Rollin's entourage. Does anyone wonder why Mercury & Noble have stayed with him, given that their original assignment to "assist" Seth came from an Authority that no longer exists?

For that matter, isn't it also illogical that Kane abandoned his concession stand to help out against Team Cena last night? He, too, is still stooging for a group no longer in power.

As to the notion of Cena bringing back the Authority as "the lesser of two evils," it occurred to me that he might install himself and a few others as the new Authority.....sort of an NWO populated by good guys.

No, it doesn't really seem like Cena's style, but it's one way to go.

Normally, I agree with the two of you on a variety of topics, but today, I completely DISAGREE. I look at this stipulation as a way to keep fans interested heading into a "nothing" pay-per-view.

It's no secret that the WWE usually goes into cruise-control after Summerslam and doesn't start getting serious again until after New Year's when they officially start "The Road to Wrestlemania". I look at TLC no differently than I looked at Hell in a Cell...filler.

After Brock Lesnar retained his title at Night of Champions, many of us were excited because we expected Brock to become a semi-regular character again. At the very least, we thought he would show up on Raw the night after the pay-per-view to address his situation and at least defend his title at alternative pay-per-views. We soon learned that he would not be wrestling again until The Royal Rumble, and we would not even see him again in-person until January (or late December).

I think fans were pretty irate over this news, and because the WWE rarely focuses on more than one angle at a time, fans had little to no interest in the next pay-per-view (Hell in a Cell). Luckily, Dean Ambrose returned from filming and resumed his feud with Seth Rollins (so at least the fans had something), but overall, there was not much else for the fans to invest in.

Rather than go all-in with Rollins vs. Ambrose at Hell in a Cell, the WWE decided to hedge their bet. They booked John Cena vs. Randy Orton as their fail-safe. Now, even though these two are the top two stars of the company, we've seen them face-off numerous times, including inside a cell. So what did the WWE do? They added a stipulation: The winner becomes the #1 contender for the WWE Championship. At the very least, this upped the stakes, gave fans hope that Randy Orton could come out on top, and provided potential for Brock Lesnar to start a fresh feud. People actually bought in. I did not (although I may have had a teeny, tiny, itsy, bitsy amount of hope that Randy Orton could miraculously pull out the match). Nonetheless, the match came and went with Cena predictably winning and becoming (or staying) the #1 contender. The WWE accomplished what their goal was...killing time.

Now, here we are two months later, and I see the exact scenario taking place again. TLC is nothing more than filler. John Cena vs. Seth Rollins is nothing more than filler. It might as well be John Cena vs. Randy Orton again. And at a pay-per-view like this, a 1 on 1 match with John Cena is as predictable as it gets. John Cena will win, and that will be that. But again, the WWE tries to spice things up so they added a stipulation. This time, the stipulation would take away what the prior stipulation gave him. Ironic, huh? But again, much like Hell in a Cell, this stipulation is merely meant to keep people interested until New Year's. At least with this stipulation, fans can ponder who could potentially be the new #1 contender? Would Seth Rollins automatically become the new #1 contender? Would it be handed to someone? Would they have to earn it? Who's in the mix? Dolph Ziggler has momentum. What about a returning Randy Orton? Does Daniel Bryan shock everyone and return out-of-nowhere? The possibilities are endless...except they're not.

John Cena is winning this match. Yes, Rollins will have his cronies, Joey Mercury and Jamie Noble, interfere. And they can because it's a "Tables Match" so disqualification is allowed, even encouraged. And this will setup a return by The Viper. He will cost Rollins the match (and Rollins will not look weak because he'll simply get tossed through a table rather than get pinned or submit), and this will kickoff Orton vs. Rollins heading into New Year's.

But again, this whole pay-per-view is nothing more than filler. I mean, look at the card. Dean Ambrose vs. Bray Wyatt is nothing. They have practically no storyline and keep making these two cut tiresome promo after promo. Personally, I like both of them and think they could be main-eventers, but clearly, the higher ups have no desire to make their feud interesting. We also have Ryback vs. Kane. Can you say squash match? Does it even elevate Ryback or give him further momentum? Not really. Dolph Ziggler vs. Luke Harper should be a really good match, but it won't sell the pay-per-view. I will admit that Erick Rowan is interesting right now and continues to improve in the ring. I had him pegged for "future endeavored" once The Wyatt Family dissolved, but he has a little momentum. Unfortunately, a match against The Big Show isn't going to be long enough or exciting enough to elevate him even higher. I can't even keep up with The Big Show's allegiances anymore, anyway. I've always liked The Big Show but his heel-to-face flip-flopping is ridiculous. And then we have the tag team titles. Damien San...I mean Mizdow is completely over with the crowd, but I have zero confidence the WWE will actually take advantage of his buzz in the long-run. As for the match itself, the Usos aren't winning. This is a mini-feud meant to kill time as is TLC, itself.

On a side note: I also find it ironic that at Survivor Series, John Cena was bitching about The Authority and how unfair they were, but he had EVERYTHING to gain and NOTHING to lose. Now, with The Authority gone, in his next match, he has EVERYTHING to lose and NOTHING to gain.

Normally, I agree with the two of you on a variety of topics, but today, I completely DISAGREE. I look at this stipulation as a way to keep fans interested heading into a "nothing" pay-per-view.

It's no secret that the WWE usually goes into cruise-control after Summerslam and doesn't start getting serious again until after New Year's when they officially start "The Road to Wrestlemania". I look at TLC no differently than I looked at Hell in a Cell...filler.

After Brock Lesnar retained his title at Night of Champions, many of us were excited because we expected Brock to become a semi-regular character again. At the very least, we thought he would show up on Raw the night after the pay-per-view to address his situation and at least defend his title at alternative pay-per-views. We soon learned that he would not be wrestling again until The Royal Rumble, and we would not even see him again in-person until January (or late December).

I think fans were pretty irate over this news, and because the WWE rarely focuses on more than one angle at a time, fans had little to no interest in the next pay-per-view (Hell in a Cell). Luckily, Dean Ambrose returned from filming and resumed his feud with Seth Rollins (so at least the fans had something), but overall, there was not much else for the fans to invest in.

Rather than go all-in with Rollins vs. Ambrose at Hell in a Cell, the WWE decided to hedge their bet. They booked John Cena vs. Randy Orton as their fail-safe. Now, even though these two are the top two stars of the company, we've seen them face-off numerous times, including inside a cell. So what did the WWE do? They added a stipulation: The winner becomes the #1 contender for the WWE Championship. At the very least, this upped the stakes, gave fans hope that Randy Orton could come out on top, and provided potential for Brock Lesnar to start a fresh feud. People actually bought in. I did not (although I may have had a teeny, tiny, itsy, bitsy amount of hope that Randy Orton could miraculously pull out the match). Nonetheless, the match came and went with Cena predictably winning and becoming (or staying) the #1 contender. The WWE accomplished what their goal was...killing time.

Now, here we are two months later, and I see the exact scenario taking place again. TLC is nothing more than filler. John Cena vs. Seth Rollins is nothing more than filler. It might as well be John Cena vs. Randy Orton again. And at a pay-per-view like this, a 1 on 1 match with John Cena is as predictable as it gets. John Cena will win, and that will be that. But again, the WWE tries to spice things up so they added a stipulation. This time, the stipulation would take away what the prior stipulation gave him. Ironic, huh? But again, much like Hell in a Cell, this stipulation is merely meant to keep people interested until New Year's. At least with this stipulation, fans can ponder who could potentially be the new #1 contender? Would Seth Rollins automatically become the new #1 contender? Would it be handed to someone? Would they have to earn it? Who's in the mix? Dolph Ziggler has momentum. What about a returning Randy Orton? Does Daniel Bryan shock everyone and return out-of-nowhere? The possibilities are endless...except they're not.

John Cena is winning this match. Yes, Rollins will have his cronies, Joey Mercury and Jamie Noble, interfere. And they can because it's a "Tables Match" so disqualification is allowed, even encouraged. And this will setup a return by The Viper. He will cost Rollins the match (and Rollins will not look weak because he'll simply get tossed through a table rather than get pinned or submit), and this will kickoff Orton vs. Rollins heading into New Year's.

But again, this whole pay-per-view is nothing more than filler. I mean, look at the card. Dean Ambrose vs. Bray Wyatt is nothing. They have practically no storyline and keep making these two cut tiresome promo after promo. Personally, I like both of them and think they could be main-eventers, but clearly, the higher ups have no desire to make their feud interesting. We also have Ryback vs. Kane. Can you say squash match? Does it even elevate Ryback or give him further momentum? Not really. Dolph Ziggler vs. Luke Harper should be a really good match, but it won't sell the pay-per-view. I will admit that Erick Rowan is interesting right now and continues to improve in the ring. I had him pegged for "future endeavored" once The Wyatt Family dissolved, but he has a little momentum. Unfortunately, a match against The Big Show isn't going to be long enough or exciting enough to elevate him even higher. I can't even keep up with The Big Show's allegiances anymore, anyway. I've always liked The Big Show but his heel-to-face flip-flopping is ridiculous. And then we have the tag team titles. Damien San...I mean Mizdow is completely over with the crowd, but I have zero confidence the WWE will actually take advantage of his buzz in the long-run. As for the match itself, the Usos aren't winning. This is a mini-feud meant to kill time as is TLC, itself.

On a side note: I also find it ironic that at Survivor Series, John Cena was bitching about The Authority and how unfair they were, but he had EVERYTHING to gain and NOTHING to lose. Now, with The Authority gone, in his next match, he has EVERYTHING to lose and NOTHING to gain.

What about Rollins vs. Reigns going into the New Year? It's confusing because Rollins took out both Reigns and Orton.

I don't know how they're going to book Rollins going forth plus Ambrose probably won't be feuding with Bray throughout WrestleMania so that's three guys after Rollins.

I'm also quite confused how you guys think this telegraphs a loss for Cena? When I heard this stipulation I had it as a Cena win. I really don't see WWE giving Rollins the win...

It's nice to see Rollins rubbing shoulders with WWE's top dog. But this stipulation doesn't do a thing for him. Or anybody really. It'd benefit him more to have a straight wrestling match and only marginally lose by pinfall or submission.

WWE only promote table match endings as flukes now.

I have a feeling this is going to be the modern version of Sheamus vs. Cena from five (how was that possibly five years ago?) years ago. Somehow someone distracts Cena long enough that Rollins puts him through a table, meaning Rollins gets a big win and not much else. As someone else already said though, what's in this for Rollins? Bragging rights? Well fine, but why not make him the #1 contender? He doesn't have to keep that status, but at least make it more interesting.

I have a feeling this is going to be the modern version of Sheamus vs. Cena from five (how was that possibly five years ago?) years ago. Somehow someone distracts Cena long enough that Rollins puts him through a table, meaning Rollins gets a big win and not much else. As someone else already said though, what's in this for Rollins? Bragging rights? Well fine, but why not make him the #1 contender? He doesn't have to keep that status, but at least make it more interesting.

Maybe Reigns/Orton defeat Rollins for the no.1 contendership to face Brock at the Royal Rumble?? I can actually see that happening.

In that case, who distracts Cena? Rusev, perhaps?

Very thought provoking comments so far. I have to admit that when the match was announced I took it as a throw away. The added stipulation involving the title shot just a cheap parlor trick to hook a few marks. However after thinking it over there are a number of possible routs they could move in. Cena could lose his shot only to push him as a hard favorite in the Rumble Match. Orton could return and cost Cena the match adding a very twisted level of complexity to his character. Triple H could cost Rollins the match prompting a story where sledge hammer crazy H promises to aid Cena in capturing the title if he returns the Authority to power. There is always Reigns or hell even Rock to shake things up over the next few months.

Rollins will win off of a fluke and Orton will probably return the next night on Raw and win a new number one contender match to face Lesnar at the Rumble. No complaints in any way shape or form from me. I've been hoping for Orton vs Lesnar for a while now and Cena vs Lesnar doesn't interest me at all. Not because I think they don't work well togther but because we aren't sure if Lesnar is staying past Mania and I want a couple different matches from him before then.

Now where does Rollins fit in this is what you might ask and I reply with a big who cares? Cena, Reigns and Ambrose all forgot their beef with Rollins and swept it under the rug would it really be a stretch for Orton to not even acknowledge what Rollins did to him when he returns? Rollins could rob a bank and kill hostages and police would stop looking for him within a week if WWE creative ran the police department.

This is a lame match. Cena is boring and Rollins is overrated. PERIOD

While I can see why people find Cena boring at times (I'm admittedly one of them), he does shine when in the ring with the correct opponent.

Rollins is by no means overrated. His feud with Ambrose was one of the better parts of the second half for 2014, I mean come on those two made a lumberjack match that wasn't horrible. He's good in the ring, solid on the Mic, what's not to like?

Back on topic of the match itself, I'm interested to see where this goes. Usually I'd always bank on Cena 'overcoming the odds' again, but for some reason... I'm not so sure. A loss for John Cena would certainly make things interesting, along with also opening up more possibilities in terms of opponents for Brock Lesnar.

I think this match will be good. Rollins is a stunt guy so I wouldn't be surprised to see a big spot as the finish.

This is good exposure for Rollins and Cena is a big game performer.

The only thing I don't like about the booking of this match is that Rollins really has nothing to lose if he's defeated by Cena. I know he had that promo last night with Heyman, yada yada yada, but it seems like the only reason they added the #1 contender stipulation to the match was so the younger Cena fans will have a reason to be biting their nails. I really don't see Cena losing this match

I don't see a clean finish to this one whatsoever.

I also would be surprised if this ends up with Cena losing his No.1 contendership given the possible returns that can happen within the next month.
Both Reigns and Orton already have histories with Rollins, and most probably, will go after him immediately on their returns, thus, I can see him being screwed in some fashion or the other.

It makes zero sense to have Rollins win this match while he's carrying around the money in the bank contract.

He already gets a title shot whenever he wants, making him the new No. 1 contender is pointless as it then eliminates the possible surprise of him using the contract down the road.

This match has interference written all over it to build up the next storyline or 2. Either Orton returns to cost Rollins the match or Reigns returns and goes after Rollins.

Yep, MERPER got it right. Rollins is technically already a No. 1 Contender, so why does this matter? This is a Cena win, through and through, and I would imagine that the stooges get into Rollins' way, instead of helping.

Taking the title shot off of Cena is possibly the dumbest move they can make at this PPV. Even if Cena goes quasi-heel and brings back the Authority to secure his title shot, that's a whole lot of brain-math to get to the same place that we would be in if Cena wins.

Heres my quick prediction (or more like what I want to happen)

Orton comes in and beats the hell out of him, but also puts Cena through a table, resulting in the #1 contender spot being open.

The Next Night on raw a #1 contenders match is announced between Orton, and Cena (maybe 2 other guys) which Orton wins

Cena, desperate for another chance at the title challenges Rollins for the briefcase. However he also says if he loses, he will bring the authority back. This can either take place at the rumble or the 1st episode of Raw.

With the Authority back to power this could setup a revenge feud with ziggler that closes out at mania somehow (Either Big Show or even Batista represents the authority in that match)

Meanwhile Cena continues to lose, which gets Lana and Rusev to mock Americas biggest star resulting in their Wrestlemania feud.

The fuck is the point of this stipulation? If Rollins wins, what does he get? Nothing? Why was the stip even put in? Because Cena yelled really loud at Rollins? What did he do to deserve having his number one contender status put on the line? Besides win every major match over the last month or so?

Cena is absolutely going over, and it sucks. Lesnar has been back for almost three years, and he's had only TWO new career feuds: Triple H and CM Punk. The former was piss poor, while the latter didn't last nearly long enough. A returning babyface Randy Orton would be an awesome rival for Lesnar (all they've done together was a squash match way back in 2002 when Orton was nothing), but the company just has to push that young Cena guy. I tell you, that kid is gonna be a star one day.

20141203_LIGHT_TLC2014_MATCH_HOMEPAGE_CenaRollins.jpg

Despite the strange stipulation, this should be a good match. It's had a great build in the promos from Cena and Rollins. If it doesn't go on last, it will for sure be going on towards the end of the show. This match should have been for the World Heavyweight Championship. It's horrible that Lesnar has been allowed to hold onto it for so long without ever showing up to defend it. That aside, while I want Rollins to win, the stipulation points to Cena winning. I just want them to get the Cena VS Lesnar rematch over with already. It's been one of the worst feuds I've ever seen, and that's coming from a Cena mark!!!! Cena VS Rollins, however, I expect to be one of the better matches of the evening. I am looking forward to it when it comes down to it, even if it does have an odd stipulation. Rollins still has the briefcase, he will be fine, but I expect plenty of whining about how Seth got "buried" from the Cena haters after Cena wins. Cena wins this and moves on to yet another awful match with Lesnar.

DAGGER'S PREDICTION
John Cena will defeat Seth Rollins.

You guys that are saying Rollins has the briefcase so he can't win ar e missing the fact this isn't a #1 Contenders Match. Just if Rollins wins Cena isn't #1 contender but neither is Rollins. It's still a ridiculous stipulation because Rollins has nothing to gain.

Rollins is already the number 1 contender by virtue of holding the MitB case. This is what makes John Cena winning an imperative. Rollins can't be the sole number 1 contender, since he's a heel as is Lesnar.

Not only that, but Lesnar v. Cena is literally the only match that makes minimal sense in regards to the Royal Rumble.

Rollins is already the number 1 contender by virtue of holding the MitB case. This is what makes John Cena winning an imperative. Rollins can't be the sole number 1 contender, since he's a heel as is Lesnar.

Not only that, but Lesnar v. Cena is literally the only match that makes minimal sense in regards to the Royal Rumble.

I agree Lesnar v Cena is most likely however it is completely plausible for Cena to lose and then the #1 Contender announced (or even a #1 contenders match) to be someone else, even Orton. They could swerve us, is what I'm saying, as the stipulation they announced has allowed for that.

That being said I have absolutely no faith that they will make this something interesting and I see this match solely as a precursor to Cena's feud to Lesnar. I genuinely think the stipulation was put there to remind people that Cena is the #1 contender and still strong enough to face Lesnar.

Just really disappointing storyline and I feel bad for Rollins being Cena's bitch in buildup to Lesnar (it was the Wyatts before NoC).

There's actually quite a bit of intrigue in this one. Seth Rollins is the young performer of the moment and the last thing Creative wants to do is stall his push by having him lose.

At the same time, this is John Cena he's opposing. It seems unusual he's risking his #1 contender position.....essentially, for nothing in return. He doesn't have to win, yet for all intents and purposes, he ought to win since we've already seen the deck stacked so solidly against him.

Consider, the Four Horseman, in which Ric Flair protected Ric Flair by surrounding himself with henchmen to take care of selected foes. In today's example, the young guy (Rollins) is the one who has the entourage to step in when things get rough. It's an unusual set-up, particularly since Mercury, Noble and Kane were employed by the Authority......which no longer exists. Still, they're around to protect Seth Rollins.

This is exactly the kind of match Cena wins cleanly.....plus, Cena is Cena, so a loss by Seth shouldn't ruin his push.

Fine, that's how I see it......but how does Vince McMahon see it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back