Tables, Ladders, Chairs.... and Stairs 2014 General Discussion & Aftermath

Terry Gyimah

Championship Contender
WWE World Heavyweight Championship (Tables, Ladders and Chairs Match)-

Brock Lesnar (c) vs John Cena

If Lesnar ends up working this PPV then I can see him finally defending his WWE World Heavyweight Championship and also against Cena who earned the right to face Lesnar when he beat Orton inside Hell in a Cell but as for what kind of match Lesnar and Cena have, I can see this being a Tables, Ladders and Chairs Match a TLC match for the World Heavyweight Championship

Randy Orton vs Seth Rollins (Tables or Chairs Match)

After what happened to Orton at the hands of The Authority if Orton is back by TLC then I can definitely see him facing Rollins and if this match ends up happening then of course naturally I can see this match being either a Tables Match or a Chairs Match but either way Orton vs Rollins is bound to happen sooner or later especially if Orton returns tonight at Survivor Series given that it is in his home town of St. Louis

Dean Ambrose vs Bray Wyatt (Tables Match or Chairs Match)

Just like Orton vs Rollins I expect these 2 to go at it again at TLC next month and if they do then I can definitely see these 2 going at it in either a Tables Match or even a Chairs Match but either way I see Ambrose vs Wyatt happening again at TLC because I don't think their rivalry is over just yet

Ryback vs Rusev (WWE United States Championship)

I see the battle of the behemoths here at this PPV with Ryback being the latest guy to try to end Rusev's undefeated streak with Ryback representing a whole nation with Ryback stepping into the ring with someone just as big just as strong as he is, the unstoppable force going up against the immovable object but can Ryback be the one who dethrones Rusev?

Ambrose vs. Wyatt in a TLC match has already been announced for the event, so keep it all here.

John Cena vs. Big Show
Cena wants vengeance against Show for turning his back against him in their match at Survivor Series.

Seth Rollins vs. Randy Orton
Orton makes his long-awaited return to face Rollins after Rollins tried to end his career a couple of weeks ago.

TLC match
Bray Wyatt vs. Dean Ambrose
Already announced.

Naomi vs. Paige
Paige vs. Alicia Fox turns into Paige vs. Naomi as Alicia Fox finally got her revenge against Paige, finally capturing a win against her at Survivor Series. However, it was Naomi who got the pin over Paige. Paige faces Naomi in a bout to see who gets the decisive win between the two.

United States Championship match
Ryback vs. Rusev (c)
Ryback is the new threat to Rusev's title reign.

Intercontinental Championship match
Luke Harper (c) vs. Erick Rowan vs. Dolph Ziggler
Ziggler never got his rematch and Rowan and Harper can't seem to keep their hands off each other.

Tag Team Championship match
Goldust and Stardust vs. Miz and Damien Mizdow (c)
Rematch clause.

Nikki Bella vs. Brie Bella
Brie shocked the world by helping Nikki to win the Divas Championship but in reality Brie helped her just to raise the stakes on getting vengeance against Nikki for turning her back on her at Summerslam while trying to take her championship as well.

Cena v. Show - Revenge, maybe a Chairs match.
Rollins v. Ziggler - Maybe a Ladder match for the MitB? But I can't imagine that they did as much work in the ring last night as they did for nothing.
Wyatt v. Ambrose - TLC match.
Random Divas match - Match with little to no build.
Gratuitous Bottom Card match - Adam Rose, Bunny, Slater, Titus O'Neal, R-Truth, whoever.
A New Day will be involved in a match of some sorts
Harper v. Rowan - IC title match - Hopefully a Tables match
Dust Bros. v. Mizdow - Tag Titles
Ryback v. Rusev - New feud.
Nicki v. Brie.

So that would be a Tables match, a Chairs match, a Ladder match, and a TLC match all on the PPV.

John Cena vs Big Show if it happens at TLC then it would make sense considering Big Show he knocked out Cena from out of nowhere and walked out on the match basically turning his back on Team Cena almost costing them their jobs but in the end it backfired on Big Show because Team Cena still won the match

Cena vs Big Show shouldn't happen, Cena vs Lesnar III is a more logical option, as Lesnar can't head into Royal Rumble as a part-time undisputed champion. If they want to put Rollins over, they can put him in a match against Orton, win the match and then cash in the briefcase after an exhausting TLC match between Cena and Lesnar at the end of the PPV, leaving more question marks afterwards. What do you think ?

Lesnar won't be at TLC, which is why the WWE would have Show turn. It's a 1-off feud that means nothing, and that gives Cena a PPV match. Rollins isn't cashing in, yet. I don't expect he'll cash in until the last possible moment.

I am pretty sure Daniel Bryan announced a chairs match between Ryback and Kane at TLC

After Survivor Series I was terrified that we were going to get Cena vs Heel Show again... after he turned heel on him AGAIN. (Out of curiosity how many times has Big Show turned heel on John Cena?)

But seeing how things have transpired in the last week I'll be very surprised if we don't get Show vs Rowan.

Personally I reckon the card is going to look something like:

John Cena vs Seth Rollins

Diva's Title Match
AJ Lee vs Nikki Bella

TLC Match
Bray Wyatt vs Dean Ambrose

Try and Stay Awake Match
Erick Rowan vs Big Show

U.S Title Match
Jack Swagger vs Rusev

Match of the Year Candidate
Kane vs Ryback

I.C Title Match
Dolph Ziggler vs Luke Harper

Tag Title Match
Miz & Mizdow vs Gold & Stardust

I reckon either the I.C Title or Tag Title match could appear on the pre-show.

This line-up is looking pretty weak.

Rowan Vs Big Show: I'd rather Show win. Rowan will never likely go beyond the midcard unless he becomes a part time main eventer. But this match will likely be pretty boring.

Kane Vs Ryback: Kane should never be in a solo PPV match ever again. His name has lost all of its draw. Ryback will win. Too obvious and it will probably be an average match.

Bray Vs Ambrose: Admittedly their first match exceeded my expectations, but the feud is so...meh.

Swagger Vs Rusev: If they do this, the problem is that they're recycling feuds now. Swagger doesn't quite have the momentum he did during their first feud. It wouldn't make sense for him to win right now and a Rusev victory would mean little.

Harper Vs Ziggler: Okay...this is a good one. Probably the only match I'd likely be interested in.

The PPV looks solid. Opportunity for young talent who normally wouldn't get TV time during PPVs to get shine like Harper and Rowan as singles wrestlers.

I am looking forward to this ppv tbh, I think that every match should have a gimmick match of some sorts such as:

Pre-Show
1) Battle Royal Match.
Have all the people that don't get on the card compete in a battle royal.

Main Card
1) Nikki Bella (C) Vs Aj Lee
Diva's Title Table Match. Have this culminate in a tables match where Aj wins but the ref is knocked out and then they put Aj through the table by cheating and have Nikki retain the title.

2) The Big Show Vs Eric Rowan
Chairs Match. Have Rowan win this match with the use of a chair.

3) Rusev (C) Vs Jack Swagger
United States Title Tables Match. Another Tables Match but it would be a great one where Rusev puts Swagger through the table to win the match.

4) Luke Harper (C) Vs Dolph Ziggler
Intercontinetal Title Ladder Match. The rematch Dolph has will take place at TLC and have Harper retain the title in a hard fought match.

5) Kane Vs Ryback
Chairs Match. Have Ryback win with a shellshock on the chair.

6) The Miz & Damien Mizdown (C) Vs The Uso
Tag Team Title Tables Match. Have The Miz & Mizdown retain the titles to give them a further push and a longer reign.

7) Bray Wyatt Vs Dean Ambrose
TLC Match. I'm torn between the two and I can't pick a winner but may go with Ambrose in this match.

8) Seth Rollins Vs John Cena Vs Randy Orton
Triple Threat MITB Breifcase Ladder Match. Have Orton come back and he wants revenge against Rollins BUT Cena wants revenage as well still so they make atriple threat with Rollins breifcase on the line and have Rollins win the match.

It looks good enough. The gimmick matches should really help make it one of the better PPV's of the year.

Uso's v Miz/Mizdow - I'm not convinced about the Naomi thing but it is too early to judge. Miz and Mizdow should and will retain.

Ryback/Kane - The chair stipulation is fine but hopefully they get creative. Ryback will obviously win but I'm not all that excited about this match.

AJ/Nikki - the feud has been ok and both Divas are actually (despite what you think) quite good in the ring. I reckon this could be one of the better women matches of the year

Bray/Ambrose - This will be spectacular. The TLC stipulation just adds to the excitement and the story. I reckon this could be an absolutely wonderful match. I'm guessing Bray wins this

Cena/Rollins - I liked them adding the stipulation that if Cena loses then he isn't number one contender. It adds an element of doubt. Moreover, a tables much generally protects the winner. I'm really not sure who wins here.

So I'm guessing they add Rusev/Swagger; Harper/Ziggler and Rowan/Big Show which results in a pretty stacked card. There is a lot of talent and some potential in terms of storyline. The fact there are younger or indeed fresher talent in each match bodes well for the WWE. Of course, I'm not sure where Reigns or Orton fit in because I presume they are ready to return.

It looks good enough. The gimmick matches should really help make it one of the better PPV's of the year.

Uso's v Miz/Mizdow - I'm not convinced about the Naomi thing but it is too early to judge. Miz and Mizdow should and will retain.

Ryback/Kane - The chair stipulation is fine but hopefully they get creative. Ryback will obviously win but I'm not all that excited about this match.

AJ/Nikki - the feud has been ok and both Divas are actually (despite what you think) quite good in the ring. I reckon this could be one of the better women matches of the year

Bray/Ambrose - This will be spectacular. The TLC stipulation just adds to the excitement and the story. I reckon this could be an absolutely wonderful match. I'm guessing Bray wins this

Cena/Rollins - I liked them adding the stipulation that if Cena loses then he isn't number one contender. It adds an element of doubt. Moreover, a tables much generally protects the winner. I'm really not sure who wins here.

So I'm guessing they add Rusev/Swagger; Harper/Ziggler and Rowan/Big Show which results in a pretty stacked card. There is a lot of talent and some potential in terms of storyline. The fact there are younger or indeed fresher talent in each match bodes well for the WWE. Of course, I'm not sure where Reigns or Orton fit in because I presume they are ready to return.

True. I think there's potential here.

I also agree with your picks for what'll make up the rest of the card. Aside from Ryback vs. Kane & the propable Rowan vs. Show matches, everything else strikes me as pretty solid.

Since Ziggler pinned Harper in the tag bout last night on Raw, I think he'll wind up getting an IC title shot and I have a feeling he'll recapture the title.

They're starting up Rusev & Swagger again, which I thought produced some good matches, though I still don't see Jack Swagger being the one to topple Rusev. I see Rusev holding onto the United States Championship until WrestleMania XXXI, unless they decide to feed him to Cena at some point in the next few months.

Rowan vs. Big Show just seems kinda strange to me. It looks like they're going in the direction of Rowan being some sort of backwoods Savant/gentle giant :wtf: even though it's a pretty lame direction and doesn't jive at all with him being a member of a "cult."

So we're going to get Cena and Rollins in a tables match, with the stipulation that if Cena loses, he loses he number one contender title. This was the Anonymous GM's ruling on RAW last night.

I really don't get this match, because even if Rollins wins, he still has the MITB briefcase in his hands. It's a mystery as to why they do things the way they do, and if Cena loses, then what?

I know there are a bunch of wrestlers lined up to fill that spot, including the Rumble winner. Maybe the WWE has finally realized that we don't want to see a Cena/Lesnar championship reign and would like some others in that mix.

IF for some reason Cena loses, I see Orton being named the #1 contender for Lesnar. I also see Jack Swagger vs. Rusev for the US title being added sooner or later. On another note, even though they did a good job making me at least somewhat interested in the Tag title match, I'm not entirely sure why they went this route, because anyone who knows anything about things that go on behind the scenes knows the Miz is married, and not only that, she's 10x hotter than Naomi, so it's tough to suspend disbelief and think that Miz has designs on Naomi.

Here is the latest matches set up for the TLC PPV and my thoughts:

Tables Match
John Cena vs. Seth Rollins

Ok, I guess if Cena loses he won't be #1 Contender for the WWE title anymore. This would have been more compelling if it was Cena vs Orton or Sheamus (if he wasn't hurt), or Cesaro (if his momentum wasn't squashed over the last few months) because I think more people would like to see Brock take on Orton, Sheamus or Cesaro for a change.

As much as I like Rollins, he hasn't proven enough yet as a singles wrestler. Hasn't won a singles title or really got a big individual win against a much bigger opponent so his credibility isn't very high.

So this match is pretty much garbage. The wrestlers can go but the story and implications (i.e. reason to watch live) is very low.

Tables, Ladders & Chairs Match
Dean Ambrose vs. Bray Wyatt

I am a big fan, generally, of Ambrose and Wyatt but I have to say I hate when Wyatt has promos that don't make enough sense. I can take it for a little bit but if it goes on too long I start to tune out.

This is another match that has NO implications win or lose for either character. What does it matter if Wyatt wins? or Ambrose? One just proves they can beat the other at craziness in the ring? But so what? What does it matter so much I have to see it live?

Maybe if the stipulation was the loser gets put in a straight jacket and hauled off to the looney bin, then the match would be more interesting to see live. And the story after that almost writes itself. Have one go visit the other and mock them. Have the one in the looney bin vow to escape soon and haunt them! Etc.

But no, there is no compelling reason to see this match live. And that's what the WWE wants right?

Chairs Match
Ryback vs. Kane

This match has one purpose and one purpose only. To get Ryback over! Kane has done so much for the WWE and he's put more time in than he really ever needed to and now he's in the position to put guys over. Ryback needs the bump and Kane can help.

So I like the match because I think WWE needs Ryback as a top muscle guy face Superstar but I am not compelled to see this match live because I know the outcome.

Still, this type of match needed to happen to give Ryback a big re-push and this is as good of time and opponent as any.

Stairs Match
Erick Rowan vs. Big Show

This match, much like the Ryback one is to get Rowan over. Big Show is just the other big guy legend to put young guys over like Kane.

This match should be good for Rowan and give him his chance to shine and it will be the test to see if he impresses people.

That said, since the outcome is so obvious it's not worth seeing live unless you really hate Big Show, which I don't.

WWE Tag Team Championship Match
The Miz & Mizdow (c) vs. The Usos

Crazy, but this is the only official Title Match on the card! Ridiculous! I hate when Vince makes the Titles look like after thoughts. More on that later but as for this match specifically, I actually like it. I like the angle; Miz hitting on Naomi and Jimmy standing up.

Truth be told, I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the glasses and SPIT get knocked out of Miz on Raw and Main Event by Jimmy.

This should be a good match. Mizdow will keep it entertaining no matter what and The Usos can always put on a good match. I expect there to be shenanigans by Miz and Naomi involved and Miz and Mizdow retain the titles and this probably continues the feud into the New Year.

IF the card already had a few other Title matches or matches of greater implications then this would be a match that would help solidify someone buying the PPV but it won't do that on it's own.

Ladder Match (Rumored)
Luke Harper (c) vs. Dolph Ziggler

So this is a rumored title match for the IC title. I hate that it is only rumored at this point. It's why I hate Vince's mentality about importance of Titles so much. Ziggler coming off a HUGE Survivor Series win should have been the focus of the first Raw after that PPV and Ziggler should have demanded his match against Harper and the match booked that night!

The IC title is the BIGGEST singles title visible on the show. Why the hell is it treated like nothing?

Add to that the US title is only somewhat given importance. It's only because it's on Anti-America Rusev that it has an unusual added importance but still not important enough to make it a focus of the PPV. Looks like Swagger will challenge Rusev for it but it's coming very, very late.

I don't know what Vince is thinking all the time. He loves to say personal feuds are more important than titles but then why are the title holders the first Superstars you see on the Roster page? Why are they the only ones that really go in the record book? The only other real records/accomplishments is Money in the Bank Briefcase Holder, Royal Rumble Winner and (if they bring it back) King of the Ring. Other than that, any 'win' that isn't directly tied to a title shot is pretty uninteresting.

I know SOME purely personal feuds are interesting but I really think the Titles and it's contenders should be the focus of every PPV with a FEW (1 or 2) really built up personal feuds.

Just to show an example, for the upcoming TLC PPV I would have liked to see the following matches/stipulations booked in this order:

Tables Match
John Cena vs. Cesaro w Seth Rollins at ringside (retroactively imagine he was booked strong and part of the Authority)

Stipulation: If John Cena loses he is no longer the #1 Contender.

IC Title Ladder Match
Luke Harper (c) vs. Dolph Ziggler

Tables, Ladders & Chairs Match
Dean Ambrose vs. Bray Wyatt

Stipulation: Loser gets put in a straight jacket and thrown in the looney bin.

US Title Russian-Made Chairs Match
Rusev (c) vs. Jack Swagger

WWE Tag Team Championship Match
The Miz & Mizdow (c) vs. The Usos

Chairs Match
Ryback vs. Kane

Stairs Match
Erick Rowan vs. Big Show

That would be better, in my mind and I think to many fans as well.

But I guess we'll see after the PPV how the buyrates were and if subscriptions went up any significant amount.

So here are my thoughts on the final WWE PPV event of 2014.

Dolph Ziggler VS Luke Harper - Ladder Match (Intercontinental Championship)
Great way to kick off the show. This ended up being one of the better matches of the night and even though I thought Harper should have retained it was a good match. I would not be against seeing another match between them.

The Miz & Damien Mizdow VS The Usos (Tag Team Championship)
This was the worst match of the night for me. While it wasn't horrible, it was nothing to write home about really, I am just glad that the champions retained.

Big Show VS Erick Rowan - Stairs Match
This was also bad. I had no problem with the match type, in fact I was interested in seeing what it would be like. What I do have a problem with is Big Show winning. What good does that do to anyone? How are they going to establish Rowan if he can't win this type of match? Big Show did NOT need the win whatsoever.

John Cena VS Seth Rollins - Tables Match
Excellent match. This was honestly the match of the night for me. Reigns' return was great and this match truly delivered. I'm not looking forward to Cena VS Lesnar next month a single bit though. That should have been over after Night Of Champions. Anyway.... this match made up for the last two being bad.

AJ Lee VS Nikki Bella (Divas Championship)
Awful decision by WWE here. Nikki brings nothing to the table as Divas Champion and AJ needed to win the belt back here. I dread the Bella VS Bella match it may be leading to. One of the worst matches of the night, and it's not AJ's fault she had to work with someone who can't wrestle.

Kane VS Ryback - Chairs Match
I was neutral on this one. It could have been better, but goodness it could have been so much worse. The Chairs stipulation is what saved it from being the worst match of the show.

Jack Swagger VS Rusev (United States Championship)
This wasn't that great either, but it was better than their Flag Match. I would have had Ziggler go after Rusev next after losing in a strong effort against Harper, so I'm really not sure who Rusev gets next. It was nice to see someone who actually fits as an "American Hero" challenger for Rusev in that role at least.

Bray Wyatt VS Dean Ambrose - TLC Match
This was really good, 2nd only to the Cena VS Rollins Tables match. Ambrose further proved why these types of his matches are his specialty, Bray got the win he needed, and we had a finish I doubt many could have expected with that monitor Ambrose tried to attack Bray with. Cool finish to an enjoyable match even though I wanted Ambrose to win.

Overall Thoughts
The bad matches and the lack of a World Heavyweight Championship brought the show down a couple of spots in my rankings, but it still made the top 5. It was great to see the return of the other gimmicks after we were deprived of all but TLC itself last year. The Stairs match was an interesting concept to add, so I would not be surprised if it returns again at other PPV events. The main problems were Big Show winning when he didn't need it, AJ not getting her 4th Divas Championship, a couple of the matches such as the Stairs and Chairs matches could have used some crazier spots, and we needed a World Heavyweight Championship match. Had all of those things been fixed, this could have been in the top tier for the year. Still, what we did get was a fun night full of gimmick matches with two of them being very solid. Check out the show if you missed it and are bored.

Dagger's 2014 WWE PPV Rankings
1. Wrestlemania 30
2. Money In the Bank 2014
3. Extreme Rules 2014
4. Payback 2014
5. Tables, Ladders, Chairs.... and Stairs 2014
6. Night Of Champions 2014
7. Elimination Chamber 2014
8. Summerslam 2014
9. Survivor Series 2014
10. Battleground 2014
11. Royal Rumble 2014
12. Hell In a Cell 2014

Solid Show

Ziggler/Harper should have went on later. Then again, the curtain jerker isn't a put down. It's supposed to get the crowd hyped and this did that. So I suppose it was actually well placed. Great match, Ziggler is over everywhere and Harper is a monster. Pretty brutal match with Harper's dive and Ziggler getting torn up.

Usos vs Miz/Mizdow: Loved this match. It's not always about intensity or moves, sometimes it's simply about entertaining people. Mizdow does this better than anyone on the roster.

Big Show vs Rowan: Was kind of plodding at points but I get it because they were selling the stairs and I get that. Did about as good of a job as they could. Had the story been built stronger this would have delivered with the crowd more.

Cena/Rollins: Great match here. Great story. Great use of being able to put lots of people through a table. Great angle with Reigns (and this sets up Reigns vs Rollins)

AJ/Bella: I'm not sure why people give Bella such a hard time. She's a good mix of looks, hateability, and athleticism. Both these divas are pretty well rounded.

Kane/Ryback: Solid again. The spot with Kane throwing the chair at Ryback's face was awesome. Ryback was surprisingly over (to me).

Swagger/Rusev: I wasn't very emotionally invested in this. The finishing stretch was solid.

Wyatt/Ambrose: These matches are going to make Ambrose. He looks like a crazy person. I love it.

Really solid overall show. Three really good matches with a really entertaining match. Then a bunch of solid matches.

I don't understand all the hate on this forums and even other wrestling forums. I guess you guys prefer to watch Roman Reigns promos or something I don't know. The fact is Bray Wyatt is THE best promo guy in the world right now. It don't matter if you like it or you don't like it get used to it because it's the best thing going on today. Bray has the most unique, charismatic delivery on every word he says. He has the ability to make you hang onto his words and turn nothing into something. I personally think this Bray and Dean feud has been amazing and one of the best feuds of 2014. We got to see both men get in each other's heads. Bray Wyatt is THE eater of words Dean Ambrose beating Rollins was his world and Bray ate it up. Bray also saw some weakness in Dean because his past childhood with his father and thought he could fix him. Fix the weak just like he fixed Luke Harper and Erick Rowan. It didn't work Dean fought back and started getting in Bray's head.

Going as far as beating the shit out of Bray's chair that represents abigail. Bray has told Cena and others he sees the monster in them and want to get it out of them. Well, in this case for the first time somebody got in Bray's head. Dean was the one to get the monster out of Bray which made Bray defeat him at TLC. The finish was shit I'll admit that but the match quality was still fantastic take away the finish. At the same time I understand the finish because as much as you marks want to get butthurt about it Dean Ambrose is still a rising star. Dean Ambrose is white hot right now because he's feuding with Bray Wyatt the best mic worker in the world. Dean Ambrose sold more merchandise than anybody during thanksgiving WHILE HE WAS FEUDING WITH BRAY. I don't know what it is I think it could be Seth Rollins butthurt marks or something but you people need to get over yourselves because this Bray\Dean feud has been the only good thing that's been going on in the WWE in months. Sure Rollins is a great worker but his match with Cena still sucked tonight despite the overbooking. Rollins isn't good enough on the mic to be a top heel and just got squashed by John Cena and now Reigns is about to bury the fuck out of him. I actually think Rollins has huge face potential beause he's a spot monkey and knows how to work the crowd and sell. I would much rather see Seth Rollins receive a babyface push than Dolph Ziggler. I think Rollins while still has a lot of room for improvement, is better on the mic than Ziggler. Ziggler is overrated and a one dimensional performer can't really talk. He just screams midcard to me but oh well all personal preference i guess. I think all this hate towards the Bray\Ambrose feud is towards the bigger picture and that's the WWE World title. This feud should be over that title but instead it's on a guy who's just at home banging Sable and hunting for animals to kill with no mic skills and a huge decline\disappointment in his 2nd run with WWE. Take it out on Lesnar, take it out on the way WWE constructed his contract and agreed to it because that's the only main thing that's killing WWE right now. Oh and John Cena facing him for the fourth fucking time since he returned to WWE you fucking *****.

Solid Show

Ziggler/Harper should have went on later. Then again, the curtain jerker isn't a put down. It's supposed to get the crowd hyped and this did that. So I suppose it was actually well placed. Great match, Ziggler is over everywhere and Harper is a monster. Pretty brutal match with Harper's dive and Ziggler getting torn up.

Usos vs Miz/Mizdow: Loved this match. It's not always about intensity or moves, sometimes it's simply about entertaining people. Mizdow does this better than anyone on the roster.

Big Show vs Rowan: Was kind of plodding at points but I get it because they were selling the stairs and I get that. Did about as good of a job as they could. Had the story been built stronger this would have delivered with the crowd more.

Cena/Rollins: Great match here. Great story. Great use of being able to put lots of people through a table. Great angle with Reigns (and this sets up Reigns vs Rollins)

AJ/Bella: I'm not sure why people give Bella such a hard time. She's a good mix of looks, hateability, and athleticism. Both these divas are pretty well rounded.

Kane/Ryback: Solid again. The spot with Kane throwing the chair at Ryback's face was awesome. Ryback was surprisingly over (to me).

Swagger/Rusev: I wasn't very emotionally invested in this. The finishing stretch was solid.

Wyatt/Ambrose: These matches are going to make Ambrose. He looks like a crazy person. I love it.

Really solid overall show. Three really good matches with a really entertaining match. Then a bunch of solid matches.

The only match on the card I flat out hated was the stairs match between Show & Rowan. The guys tried, but the concept itself just isn't all that interesting. The commentators trying to sell the bottom & top portions of the staris combined weighing well over 200 pounds was beyond ridiculous. The whole concept seems like something Vince came up with and that's a very hit & miss thing these days.

Cena vs. Rollins had great action and storytelling, but I was turned off by all the interference. Some interference was expected, but I thought this was too much. I'm not upset that Cena won, I was just turned off by the fact that Vince went over the top in protecting John Cena yet again.

Overall though, a really solid show. From an overall standpoint, I don't think it was as good as the NXT live special earlier in the week, but that's more the fault of Vince ultimately being in charge of creative than anything else.

Cena vs. Rollins had great action and storytelling, but I was turned off by all the interference. Some interference was expected, but I thought this was too much. I'm not upset that Cena won, I was just turned off by the fact that Vince went over the top in protecting John Cena yet again.

That's reasonable, but it's the type of theater that makes possible matches between opponents of varying experience and ability.

In the real world, would a Seth Rollins really be able to defeat a John Cena, one-on-one, without interference? I think not, especially with the way the Cena character is built.....as the guy who can kick out of any-freakin'-thing, a concept many of you absolutely despise. (You loved it with Hogan....hate it with Cena. :shrug: Changing times, I suppose)

But this is the way it's done....and one of the reasons pro wrestling is a form of entertainment like no other. Last night, I at first didn't catch onto the "no disqualification" clause and wondered what in hell Mercury and Noble were being allowed to get away with. In real life (not pro wrestling) the first time those two guys snatched the table out of the ring that had been brought in by Cena, Rollins would have been disqualified by the ref, no? Of course, this would work in Cena's favor because of the provision stating he loses his #1 contender spot if he loses this match. If Rollins is DQ'd, Cena wins and we'd be treated to an altogether unsatisfying result, right?

Okay, so having no DQ and allowing the interference is what brought intrigue to the match; it evened up the odds, giving Rollins a solid chance to win, which he otherwise wouldn't have had against the Cena machine. Instead of a contest in which we'd know for certain who would win, we had one in which the outcome was in doubt until the last moment.

Of course, one could also point to the real world to say that Cena, who knew damn well that Rollins was going to load up on "personnel" would bring in some guys of his own. It didn't happen for two reasons: (1) That's not Cena's style (2) The company was setting us up for the return of Roman Reigns.

I thought it was terrific; Cena and Rollins worked so hard that it was a pleasure to watch. In fact, the entire PPV was great for the same reason.

In the real world, would a Seth Rollins really be able to defeat a John Cena, one-on-one, without interference?

If you're trying to say a guy as muscular as Cena would always beat a guy slightly less muscular like Rollins, you've got to know you're wrong. Put the actual John Cena in the cage against Anthony Pettis and he would get his head ripped off.

I think not, especially with the way the Cena character is built....

I thought we were talking about the real world... now you're talking about characters? :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back