WWE tightens up on their drinking policy

Chill

Championship Contender
I don't think this has been mentioned on here yet, so here goes. Recently, the WWE made a change to their Wellness Policy regarding the talents' use of alcohol. The following helps sum up where the company now stands on alcohol consumption by their talent:

In an interesting note regarding alcohol, the policy states that WWE talents are prohibited from "using or consuming alcohol at any time within a twelve hour period prior to any WWE event or WWE scheduled performance."

Wrestlezone UK.

The purpose of this thread is to get everyone's thoughts on this new Wellness Policy development. Perhaps some food for thought could include:

Is this new prohibition a positive thing?
Is it necessary?
Will it achieve anything of significance? etc etc...

For what it's worth, I think it will ultimately prove to be a positive move. In the past WWE have had issues with certain performers who have let their fondness of the bottle get in the way of their professionalism, some recent names which come to mind are Jeff Hardy and Lance Cade (although I can't recall all the specific details regarding these two so I'll just leave it at that). Nevertheless, I think this is a good move by WWE and I don't think it will hurt anyone in the long haul.

Your thoughts?

To me, this is pretty much a non-issue. Say that a show runs from 9-11. Talent can still go out and hit the bars afterward. Most shows don't start until the evening. Nobody's going to be affected by this, unless Scott Hall was still working for the company. Not to mention that everyone who is a part of the WWE roster seems to be responsible enough to not go ahead and drink right before they go out there and wrestle. This is basically just to set a guideline stating that it's not acceptable to go out and drink before a show. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'm surprised they didn't have this rule in place beforehand, actually. I'm sure the rule is similar for those in jobs such as drivers or pilots - jobs in which lives could be affected if alcohol was in their system and affecting their movements or thinking patterns. If the WWE were telling wrestlers they couldn't drink at all, there'd be a problem with it. But in a job where you have someone's life literally in your hands, your judgement can not be impaired even slightly by alcohol.

I agree with it completely. If you were the head honcho of WWE would you want your wrestlers to go out drinking before an event, whether it be a house show, a pre-taped show or live show and PPV event? I wouldn't, he or she could throw up, arrive late, stumble in the ring and put on a sloppy match, they could feel ill. So I think in the long run it'll prove to be positive. As for the wellness policy, its great to see they're toughening up. They don't want a repeat of history because we've lost to many wrestlers to the dangers of drugs.

I agree with unique.enigma, a perfect example of this is Scott Hall, now I don't mean to disrespect him in anyway because I loved the Razor Ramon gimmick and the nWo was just epic, but it's true. You can't have wrestlers going out there drunk or "buzzed" in ANY type of wrestling show and hurting themselves or another wrestler.

This rule needs to be in place. When wrestlers are out in the ring, they not only risk their lives, they risk the lives of everyone else in the ring. If someone is impaired by alcohol, they increase their chance that they can severely injure themselves or their opponent. We actually had the same rule in the Navy: no drinking 12 hours prior to duty/watch. I'm sure there are other companies out there with the same exact rule "subject to punishment up to and including termination" (man I've sat through too many orientations...). WWE is just ensuring the safety and well being of their talent even further...or just avoiding negative press.

Makes sense. You don't want a drunk person out there in the ring preparing to drop you directly on your neck do you? That would produce quite a few Droz-like incidents.

I'm surprised this wasn't a policy beforehand. Alcohol I imagine most times wouldn't go well with wrestling. As long as the wrestlers can still toke up beforehand, I have no problem with this. If RVD can smoke a blunt and wrestle a four star match, no problems there.

This is a totally sensible policy to have in place, and I can't believe they didn't have something like this implemented before.

Would you put your life in the hands of someone who had had a few drinks? Or watch a match where the competitors had been drinking? I know I wouldn't.

Vince McMahon might be a lot of things but he's not daft, he'd be able to tell his employees have broken the 12 hour rule and been drinking, and he wouldn't be very pleased.

LOL....Yeah right I'm sure Vince has a magic power to tell when someones had a drink 11 hours ago as opposed to 12 hours ago! Seriously you gave me a good laugh there mate.

Is this new prohibition a positive thing?
Is it necessary?
Will it achieve anything of significance? etc etc...

Like others have said before me.... I'm surprised that something like this was not already being enforced. I agree with it and it is a positive thing because now they will have smaller likelihood of accidents caused by someone not being able to think clearly for obvious reasons. It's necessary because it makes the matches safer for the wrestlers, making this new rule absolutely necessary. The most significant thing it will achieve is the prevention of some bad things that could have happened. It's a great idea that I agree with because it should have been put in place long ago.

The rule makes a lot of sense to me. Pro wrestling is a dangerous activity. I don't think any wrestler would want to put their lives in the line with a drunk. Doctors and pilots do this so why not WWE?

Everyone else is sayin' they dunno why this wasn't enforced beforehand, and like them, I agree. I mean, it's pretty scary knowin' your career is in the hands with either A. Someone who's drunk or B. Someone with a badass Hangover.

This is a good idea all the way around. The dangers of a wrestler going out there and performing after drinking could be extreme. I'm glad the WWE has taken initiative on this because it shows that they care about their performers and don't want to see them get seriously injured due to something like alcohol.

How many wrestlers have been injured as a direct result of drink in WWE? I'm sure there might be one or two, but I've never read much about excess drinking causing in ring accidents, certainly not in recent years.

If they're banning drinking up to 12 hours before a WWE show then they're effectively banning drinking. When are they doing to drink, after the show when they're driving home? Better get it in quick fellas, the next WWE show starts in 13 hours.

I guess this rule is fine. It's not like they're banning drinking alcohol altogether. Besides this is a good way to make sure people don't get injured. I dont think anyone wants a drunk person doing a suplex on you. Or worse. what if Evan Bourne was hungover and tried a SSP. not pretty

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back