WWE Summerslam 2016 General Discussion & Reviews

Based on Messiah we could only hope for a card of the Social Outcasts vs. Los Matadores, or whatever they are called now, Golden Truth vs. Breeze and Fandango, and Lilian Garcia vs. JoJo!

You dig at New Day, Enzo & Cass, and Sasha...three of the biggest and most exciting acts in WWE today. I guess you don't care for entertainment or talent.

As for Summerslam it has the potential to be stacked top to bottom. This is the type of card they wanted for Mania, but couldn't have because of the injuries. WWE always aims to make Summerslam their second biggest PPV, but this year I think it will easily be remembered as the best PPV of the year (at least on paper).

Well, being honest with you, this match card is the WrestleMania quality that we should have had this year. It was unfortunate, given the amount of injuries that were suffered by top level talent in the run up to Mania this year, that the card suffered as a result. The 4 matches that you have named are very possible. The least likely match is the Rollins / HHH match but even that might be a goer if we see Triple H return to the company post brand split.

All in all, the WWE is looking healthy heading into SummerSlam this year and it could be a great show. But, as always, injuries could rear their ugly heads at any point and put all of this match card to the sword. I hope not. But it is possible.

Based on Messiah we could only hope for a card of the Social Outcasts vs. Los Matadores, or whatever they are called now, Golden Truth vs. Breeze and Fandango, and Lilian Garcia vs. JoJo!

You dig at New Day, Enzo & Cass, and Sasha...three of the biggest and most exciting acts in WWE today. I guess you don't care for entertainment or talent.

As for Summerslam it has the potential to be stacked top to bottom. This is the type of card they wanted for Mania, but couldn't have because of the injuries. WWE always aims to make Summerslam their second biggest PPV, but this year I think it will easily be remembered as the best PPV of the year (at least on paper).

That's your opinion, not fact. I find New Day insanely boring and always have. They were terrible as faces and they're terrible as heels. Enzo & Cass are a garbage tag team - Enzo might as well be "Generic CAW #2" and his mic work is atrocious, and "Big Cass" is a taller, less talented, more bland version of Edge with the charisma of a cardboard cutout. Sasha looks like Verminus Scum and hasn't been impressive at all. I have yet to see this "amazing skill" people kept talking about in developmental.

So, I am looking ahead 5 weeks to Summerslam and I was wondering, am I alone in thinking we could have a stacked card that could rival, or better Wrestlemania?
My thought are that the following matches, barring injuries are looking this way:

1. WWE CHAMPIONSHIP
DEAN AMBROSE VS ROMAN REIGNS.
This story rights itself.
2. AJ STYLES VS JOHN CENA
Possibly for the vacant World Heavyweight Title. With Cena getting his win back at Battleground, I see this match, possibly in a steel cage so no interference by The Club.
3. BROCK LESNAR VS RANDY ORTON
Again, we know this is happening, barring UFC200 affecting Lesnars ability to perform.
4. SETH ROLLINS VS TRIPLE H
We know Trips will return soon, and I expect him to interfere and cost Rollins the title at Battleground.

Personally, I'm not all that wild about Ambrose vs. Reigns partially because, after Battleground, I think Roman needs to be taken out of the title picture. He's gotten a massive push from WWE for close to 2 years and fails a drug test; I can see why they left him in the triple threat match, even if he can't help build it, as a lot of fans have wanted to see this. At the same time, I'd think that this match would be a bigger draw for SummerSlam than Battleground but, then again, it's refreshing to see such a marquee match for Battleground. After Battleground, however, I think Reigns' push needs to be stopped because that takes away some credibility of the Wellness Policy. Even someone like Orton didn't find himself immediately back at the top of the roster and I don't think Reigns should be an exception.

As for Cena vs. Styles II, that's pretty much a given. I think it'll be a great match, but I see almost zero chance of Styles coming out with a victory.

Lesnar vs. Orton is already official but I have to say that, at least as of right now, I don't have much interest here. I may be a minority, but I'm extraordinarily tired of seeing Brock Lesnar use one single maneuver, usually the German Suplex, as 90% of his offense for matches. I'm just over the whole "Suplex City" bit and would rather see Lesnar matches booked on a more even level. Again, I might be a minority but I can't help it; I'm just flat out bored with seeing Lesnar decimate guys in mostly one sided matches. Another potential problem I have is that I've no real interest in Orton winning this match because, let's face it, it's blowing a huge opportunity to give someone on the roster a rub to whom the victory really means something; WWE already went that route once by having Lesnar end the streak and I just don't want to see it happen again.

As for Rollins vs. Triple H, I guess it's not impossible and it's also something that just seems entirely out of left field. If such a match did come about, I'd hope that the centerpiece of the feud wouldn't be something as ridiculous as Triple H being pissed at Rollins for still using the Pedigree as his finisher; it'd just be an extremely lame and abysmally lazy example of creativity.

The Ambrose/Reigns match may very well happen. For what it's worth, Reigns is being advertised as the WWE Champion for live events heading into Summerslam here in Canada. I know that always doesn't mean much, but it is interesting to note. Perhaps he turns heel upon his return?

Cena/Styles and Brock/Orton are pretty much guaranteed to happen and either of those matches could be main events in themselves. If HHH did indeed come back and face off against Rollins, this will be the most stacked card WWE has put together in a very long time. Either way, it's looking to be a fun Summerslam, and we're probably looking at 4 hours again.

I like the main events. I think Ambrose vs Reigns will have Reigns defending. I think he turns heel at Battleground and gets help from Triple H, who Pedigrees Rollins and helps Reigns win, where Ambrose is not involved in the decision.

Triple H vs Rollins needs to be about Triple H being almost jealous of Rollins and realizing that Rollins isn't what he thought he was and he's doing what's "Best for Business"

Orton vs Lesnar can be good if Orton can get some offense in. I think Lesnar brings more MMA into this match than before, especially since he'll be fresh off a fight at UFC 200.

Cena vs Styles I think is a given too. I think Styles should go over and "Beat Up John Cena"

If ambrose vs reigns is the main event ill puke. This is a stacked card but they made so many mistakes randy vs lesnar should not be happening instead have them put young guys over... What about wyatt vs lesnar..? There forgetting all about that story, What is lesnar beating orton going to do for anyones career? NOTHING. For god sakes have reigns beat lesnar to continue his main event status but not for the title. Rollins vs triple h should be for the title. Aj vs cena writes itself and You still have guys like Y2J and the miz to put people over the potential is here i just know they will screw it all up. They already started to with the announcement on smackdown.

SummerSlam always has multiple main events. Technically every WWE Pay-Per-View in history has at least two main events, as wrestling PPVs are by definition supercards - events featuring at least two main event level matches. Only one match can headline the show, but SummerSlam and all other PPVs have ALWAYS had multiple main events.

I like this card and I think that it is highly likely. However I doubt Triple H will wrestle at Summerslam.

First of all, with Cena-Styles II for a vacant world title and Orton-Lesnar, Summerslam doesn't need HHH to wrestle, neither Undertaker for example. I think WWE keeps HHH and Taker for Wrestlemania's attractions, in order to make 'Mania feel much more special when these two legends are wrestling.

With that being said, I would put Reigns vs Ambrose, but only if Reigns is to turn heel in this feud going forward.

Then, I would put Owens vs Rollins. The story would be that Owebs gets drafted to SD where Shane is. Of course, Shane and Owens have an on going rivalry.
Owens would want to go to RAW, because he does not want to be ordered by Shane.
Enter Rollins, the cocky heel from RAW and HHH'ss "golden boy". Rollins would say that Owens is not suited for RAW and things like that. This would lead to Owens vs Rollins, in an interpromotional match. If Owens wins, he goes to RAW and Rollins goes to Smackdown. If Rollins wins, things stay the same and Rollins also becomes #1 contender for the WWE Championship.

Of course, Owens would win, but with help from Triple H, who feels that his personal NXT prodigy Kevin Owens, is a much better investment than Rollins. This would send Rollins to SD, where Rollins would have a change in his character. He would start to work hard, in order for Smackdown to surpass Triple H's RAW. Rollins would find huge success at Smackdown, whereas Owens, not so much on RAW. Of course, this would make Triple H furious and jealous, and this would lead to Rollins vs Triple H at Wrestlemania.

Summerslam card:
  1. Dean Ambrose(c) vs Roman Reigns for the WWE Championship [RAW]
  2. Randy Orton vs Brock Lesnar in a No DQs match [RAW]
  3. John Cena vs AJ Styles for the vacant World Heavyweight Championship [SD]
  4. Kevin Owens vs Seth Rollins [Interpromotional]
  5. Wyatts vs New Day [SD]
  6. Sasha Banks vs Charlotte(c) for the Women's Championship [Interpromotional]
  7. Finn Balor vs Chris Jericho [SD] (Balor's debut)
  8. Rusev(c) vs Cesaro for the US Championship [RAW]
  9. The Miz(c) vs Sami Zayn for the IC Championship [SD]

I seriously don't want another Ambrose Vs. Reigns encounter. Reigns needs to be away from Ambrose. Ambrose has served as Reigns' lackey for a long time. Plus we have seen them in multiple matches. I would prefer them at different brands.

Rollins Vs Triple H is damn logical and interesting enough.

Looking forward to seeing Orton's match with Brock just for his sake. No interest left in Brock's matches until his over dominance ends.

AJ Styles Vs. Cena is interesting enough and I think that Balor could debut here favouring AJ.

So at Battleground, the two midcard titles are going to be defended against Zack Ryder and Darren Young. Rusev is gonna face Ryder for the United States Title and The Miz is gonna face Young for the InterContinental Title.

Personally, both matches feel like underwhelming to me. The challengers don't seem credible enough to be a threat to the champions.

So I wanted to share what I feel like could be good midcard title matches at Summerslam.

I would want:

Rusev (c) Vs. Bray Wyatt/Apollo Crews/Sami Zayn for the United States Title.

The Miz (c) Vs. Cesaro/Apollo Crews for the InterContinental Title.

Miz needs to lose the title at Summerslam as he has had a really long reign now. Cesaro could be the best choice for this match.

Rusev could face Bray Wyatt or Sami Zayn or Apollo Crews. Personally I would prefer Bray Wyatt. It could be a good physical battle and Bray could acquire his first title and Rusev could move up to upper midcard or main event level.

Thoughts?

I am thinking that Smackdown! if they are going to crown a World Heavyweight Champion is going to have an Elimination Chamber Match instead of Cena vs. Styles.

The reason why I think so is that the only way to build up Cena vs. Styles is if they do a tournament where the finals end up with Styles and Cena. The problem I see with this is that the tournament will be too predictable and we already had a tournament for a vacant title at Survivor Series.

So if WWE plans to crown the new World Champion at Summer Slam I think an Elimination Chamber is the better option. Also if either Cena or Styles wins it, this can prolong their feud a month longer perhaps leading to a final match at either TLC or Survivor Series.

I would expect Wyatt Family/New Day to continue feuding into and past SummerSlam, so Bray's out.

I like your ideas, except switch it up a little bit.

Rusev (C) vs. Cesaro for the United States title
Miz (C) vs. Sami Zayn for the Intercontinental title

Rusev vs. Cesaro would be a great power matchup between the two, and I think Zayn and Miz' styles would match up well.

I'm not sure Crews is ready yet to carry any gold.

The brand split will mean one thing when it comes to the big 4 shows, mid-card title matches are really going to struggle to get on those shows. Certainly both of them. Rusev is probably more of a necessity to get on that show, but I can't think of an opponent that will be.

Long title reigns are such a welcome change of pace, and they're great. Even though I'd love to see The Miz hold the title even longer (I'd be fine with him holding the title right through to WrestleMania 33 and come one day shy of holding it a full year), I think SummerSlam is the end of the line for him. I'm grateful they haven't already had him drop the title to some nobody like Apollo Crews. I'd be fine with Cesaro being the one to end Miz's reign, but I wouldn't be entirely shocked to see it be a multi-man match and have Sheamus walk out with the title.

As for Rusev, I don't see him losing the title for a while yet. Hopefully they'll have him squash some young guy like Apollo Crews or Sami Zayn before losing it to a worthwhile talent later.

I would book:
a) The Miz(c) vs Chris Jericho vs Sami Zayn for the Intercontinental Championship
Miz and Y2J can rock the house going at the mic, MizTV vs Highlight Reel. Zayn and Y2J can rock the house going at the ring, delivering great matches, while Miz and Zayn can have a great heel-face dynamic. I think this is the best combination by far.

b) Rusev(c) vs Cesaro for the US Championship
A match that can become a technical masterpiece, also including heavy spots and spots that require strength, given the combination of Rusev and Cesaro's strength and great in-ring ability.

I think these two matches are great midcard matches that could really steal the show and it would shape the landscape of the rosters very nicely (The way I have imagined it).

I see Miz going up against either Sami Zayn or Cesaro at SummerSlam and dropping the title. It wouldn't bother me to see Miz retain as, overall, I have to say I've enjoyed his 5th run as Intercontinental Champion and it's nice to finally see that WWE finally gave him a meaningful run. I can see the fun of putting the title on either Cesaro or Zayn, I'm just not sure we'll see any sustained push for Cesaro. The guy's great in the ring, he's one of the most consistent in-ring guys WWE has had in a long time and it's fun to watch him do this combination of technical ability and freakish strength. Hell, fans are behind him and have been for quite a while but Vince just isn't that much of a fan of him.

Whichever one of these guys face off with Miz, I see the other going after the United States Championship. My instinct tells me that this would be the route given to Cesaro more than Zayn as I think Rusev has the better shot of remaining champion after SummerSlam and, as I said earlier, Cesaro is someone that Vince just hasn't seemed to embrace regardless of ability or fan interest.

I'm with the majority in thinking that The Miz will defend the IC Title against Cesaro. Although Miz is one of the better heels in WWE in my opinion and the addition of Maryse has added a new dynamic that I really like which makes me believe he deserves a longer title run, I do think it comes to an end at Summerslam.

As for the US Title, I think it's between 3 guys. Sheamus if they were to turn him face, Sami Zayn, or Neville who made his return last night. If I had to pick, I'd go with Neville because I think Owens and Zayn should have a last man standing match at SS.

If it were up to me, I'd add Jericho to the IC Title match in a triple threat. If Miz has to lose it, even though I'm a Cesaro fan, I'm an even bigger Jericho fan and am loving his run as a heel. He should get another championship sooner or later before he hangs up the boots for good.

So, I am looking ahead 5 weeks to Summerslam and I was wondering, am I alone in thinking we could have a stacked card that could rival, or better Wrestlemania?
My thought are that the following matches, barring injuries are looking this way:

1. WWE CHAMPIONSHIP
DEAN AMBROSE VS ROMAN REIGNS.
This story rights itself.
2. AJ STYLES VS JOHN CENA
Possibly for the vacant World Heavyweight Title. With Cena getting his win back at Battleground, I see this match, possibly in a steel cage so no interference by The Club.
3. BROCK LESNAR VS RANDY ORTON
Again, we know this is happening, barring UFC200 affecting Lesnars ability to perform.
4. SETH ROLLINS VS TRIPLE H
We know Trips will return soon, and I expect him to interfere and cost Rollins the title at Battleground.

These Four matches can headline any PPV, potentially all 4 on the one card equals a massive PPV.

Now add in where The New Day vs The Wyatts are at, The Club ad Enzo/Cass, Rusev's push should see a title defense,IC and Charlotte vs Sasha Banks on the horizon.

What are your thoughts?

Looks solid. I'm hoping HHH vs. Rollins takes place instead of HHH vs. Shane like some fans want to see.

Now that we have 2 solidified matches at SummerSlam 2016, I'd like to see how everyone sees the card panning out.

This is how I would like to see the card pan out.

Booked Matches:

Brock Lesnar vs Randy Orton (Cross Brand Match)
WWE Universal Championship: Seth Rollins vs Finn Balor (Raw)

Projected Matches

WWE Tag Team Championship: New Day (c) vs The Club (Raw)
United States Championship: Rusev (C) vs Sami Zayn
Women's Championship: Sasha Banks (c) vs Charlotte (Raw)
WWE World Heavyweight Championship Triple Threat: Dean Ambrose (c) vs AJ Styles vs John Cena (SD)
Intercontinental Championship: Miz (c) vs Kalisto (SD)
New SD Tag Team Championship: (There will be a tournament leading up to Summer Slam) American Alpha vs The Wyatt Family (Bray and Rowan)
Roman Reigns vs Kevin Owens
Enzo & Cass vs The Shining Stars

Cross Brand 20 Man Battle Royal (Winning Show Gets to Steal a Roster Member included in the Battle Royal):
Raw: Strowman, Cesaro, Titus O'Neil, Neville, Darren Young, Bubba Ray, D'Von, Sin Cara, Big Show, Chris Jericho
SD: Corbin, Ziggler, Crews, Del Rio, Jimmy Uso, Jey Uso, Kane, Mojo Rawley, Zack Ryder, Fandango

Summerslam is shaping up like a card with one big main event match (Lesnar vs Orton) and a strong midcard, upper-midcard. It will most certainly be a stacked card.

I wouldn't be surprised if we end up getting Ambrose vs Styles for the WWE Championship.

I'll put forward what i think will happen, not necessarily what i want. Except obviously beast v viper.

Title takes a back seat, another triple threat? Roman reigns involved whatever. Sigh.

IC title, Miz drops.

US title, Rusev retains

Women's, Sasha retains

Tag team, New Day drop

Cruiserweight?????

Oo oo ooh don't forget the new Universal title. (seriously are they being sponsored?? what the fuck is "universal" supposed to mean?? More important than the wwe world heavyweight??)

Till now the card looks this:

*. Dean Ambrose Vs. Dolph Ziggler for WWE World Championship
*. Seth Rollins Vs. Finn Balor for WWE Universal Championship
*. Brock Lesnar Vs. Randy Orton
*. The New Day Vs. Luke Gallows & Karl Anderson for WWE Tag Team Championship
*. Sasha Banks Vs. Charlotte for WWE Women Championship
*. AJ Styles Vs. John Cena II

I hope that it isn't Rusev Vs. Mojo Rawley for the United States Title. Sami Zayn or Cesaro could be the right choice for Rusev's opponent.

Can't say anything about InterContinental Title either. It shouldn't be Young Vs. Miz again for sure. Apollo Crews or Bray Wyatt could be good for this match.

Dean Ambrose should retain his title. New Day should lose. Brock WILL win. Sasha should win. Not sure about Rollins Vs. Balor. I am okay with anyone out of these two winning the new title.

Edit= Forgot about Cena Vs. Styles II. I think that Cena wins this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back