WWE Summerslam 2002: What was the best match?

What was the best match IYO?

• Ric Flair vs. Y2J

• RVD vs. Chris Benoit - IC Championship Match

• HBK vs. HHH - Unsanctioned Street Fight Match

• Brock Lesnar vs. The Rock - WWE Undisputed Championship Match

• Other.. (Please State)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ruthless-RKO

F*ck Friends, Rather die wiv ma AK!
I think I'm right in saying, SummerSlam 2002 is arguably the best SummerSlam in history in terms of a stacked card and match quality.. We had great matches lined up, But which match would you say was the match of the night, in your own opinion of course?

1. Kurt Angle defeated Rey Mysterio via submission in a Singles match
  2. Ric Flair defeated Chris Jericho via submission in a Singles match
  3. Edge defeated Eddie Guerrero in a Singles match
  4. The Un-Americans (Lance Storm and Christian) (c) defeated Booker T and Goldust in a Tag team match for the WWE Tag Team Championship
  5. Rob Van Dam defeated Chris Benoit (c) in a Singles match for the WWE Intercontinental Championship
  6. The Undertaker defeated Test in a Singles match
  7. Shawn Michaels defeated Triple H in a Unsanctioned Street Fight
  8. Brock Lesnar (with Paul Heyman) defeated The Rock (c) in a Singles match for the WWE Undisputed Championship

There is the card, take your pick and don't forget to explain why..

It may not be the most techy match, but HBK vs HHH is THE match of the night here.

Rock/Brock was 2nd.

I've read all the high praise for Mysterio/Angle being one of the best PPV openers in a thread on the best PPV openers, and how it was Mysterio's PPV debut etc etc but it wasnt the best match.

Even WWE doesnt decide the best match like most of the ppl in these forums (not just these ones) seem too. As if the best means tech-wise all the time as if that's all there is. I remember WWE once compiled a list I think of the best Mania matches and said it was based off in ring performance, crowd reaction, emotion, some other stuff, but they based it on various things

I just think either way you look at it, even with the huge first time fresh title match between The Rock and Brock, the match most were emotionally invested in, the fact that it was Shawn Michaels' return to the ring after 4 years and it was a straight up fight, between two best friends and such a great story told, you cant deny it was the highlight of the night. Even the post match Sledgehammer.

One of my favorite and memorable PPV's of all time. You should have included Angle/Mysterio and Edge/Eddie in the list instead of keeping them in others.

I voted for The Rock/Lesnar btw, Lesnar was still new but he got damn over and got over real quick. Even though Lesnar was a heel in this one, but fans still cheered for him and wanted him to win instead of the face Rock. Lesnar won after a thrilling contest, huge crowd response in the match.

I had to go with HHH/HBK it was Shawn's first match back in years and what a great show they put on. The build was excellent, and Shawn and Hunter both outdid themselves. I thought Shawn would be rusty, but he showed no signs of even being away. Rock and Brock is a close second but HHH/HBK stole the show.

Definitely Michaels vs. Triple H. Still one of my favorite matches of all time. It just told an awesome story. It was a personal feud and it shined through wonderfully in that match. Just a great, bloody brawl. I loved the finish as well. Just when you thought Shawn was out of it, he pulls a jackknife pin. Much cooler than a simple Sweet Chin Music for a pin.

To the surprise of no one HBK vs. HHH is running away with this. For as great as SummerSlam 2002 was the match between Michaels and Helmsley was head and shoulders above the rest. It’s one of my favorite matches of all time much less a single card. Combine the history between HBK and HHH with the fact that it was Shawn’s first match in over four years and this was a huge match. Looking back it’s strange to think we didn’t really know what to expect from Michaels because after four years he didn’t miss a beat. It was as if he never left. I remember wondering if HBK was going to look slow and hurt and not be able to deliver like he used to. He probably delivered in that match better than he ever had before. That was a true classic and one I’ll never get tired of watching.

By the way, Edge vs. Guerrero and Angle vs. Mysterio were way better than Flair vs. Jericho so I don't know why they're regulated to "other" on this poll. I guess it doesn't matter because they don't come close to HBK vs. HHH.

HBK V HHH was legendary - it was HBK's first match in years - and was a welcome comeback. That is my favourite - raw emotion and intensity. After they have shown HBK can still go - they have the storyline kept open and HHH hits him with a sledge hammer... genius booking.

The whole Brock V Rock match was entertaining and what a finish - Lesnar looked like a TRUE monster. And to see Rock sell the F5 so convincingly was a major turning point for Brock - it made him a star. The Rock is truly one of the greatest ever.

HBK V HHH was the best match of the night by far. It was a good card as a whole too. But I would have to agree to those who said the Angle and Mysterio vs Eddy and Beniot match was the 2nd best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back