WWE release 25 'Masters of the Mic' List

A few people have said The Miz shouldn't be on the list. Why?

The Miz is amazing, just before WM27 when he was WWE Champion, he cut a brilliant segment with The Rock and John Cena. Rock and Cena were jabbering on and on about "Boots 2 Asses", "Team Bring-It", "Fashion advice from the Tooth Fairy", "You must Shop at Baby Gap", "I was one of the Millions", "You are nothing more than a Homeless Power-ranger" etc etc. Miz came in and just made that segment gold in my opinion. Then got his ass whooped by The Rock.

During Steve Austin's latest appearences (i think it was when he did Tough Enough) who was the bad guy on the Mic with Austin? the Miz!

Granted The Miz has been lost in shuffle lately but (just my opinion of course) you know when you love to hear a guy talk when you reach for the volume and turn it up.

Overall he probably shouldnt be in the top 10 but i think he is worthy of a place on that list.

Top Mic-Worker of all time for me is Triple H. He can talk really well as a Face or Heel and of course as a Suit.

Flair and Hogan need to be in the Top 3. Simply put Rock would not even be as talented on the mic if Flair wasn't the greatest adlibber of all-time. SCSA and Punk need to be ranked close to one another seeing that they both need a EMO storyline to carry themselves properly through a promo. List isn't too bad but as expected "WWE Guys" get the nod ahead of actualt talented mic stars of other promotions

Wow that's a slap in The Rock's face...I mean his ability on the mic is what got him over back in the late 90s early 00s. It's what got him over Austin popularity wise at one point. Hell Austin brought HIM on Tough Enough just because of that ability...and he's number 3? The nerve...

But in general I like the top 5. The order needs tweaking though, but the fact that Triple H, CM Punk, Edge, Vince, Foley and Heyman are so low on the list and Cena actually cracked the top 10 is crazy.

The only real head-scratchers on the list are HHH and Jesse Ventura. HHH should be higher, and Ventura - I assume they mean as a competitor only and not as an analyst, because Ventura may have been the most groundbreaking personality ever in the booth, effectively inventing heel commentary.

I was surprised to see Stone Cold as numer 1. He's definitely up there in the top 3 but The Rock is leaps and bounds ahead of Stone Cold when it comes to mic work.

Not surprised he isn't on it but the list needs more Raven. Nobody can legitimately try to argue that Santino is better on the stick than Raven. But of course, Raven really had the spotlight that the names on this list had.

Not too fussed on the order of the list, there's some I'd change, but you'll never have everyone agree on something like that.

My first problem with the list is The Miz and Santino on the list. I mean, Santino's over and is good for comedic relief, but top 25 on the mic? I don't think so (though he's not bad). I've never liked The Miz on the mic, as I really think he has the quintessential WWE promo voice, along with the occasional useless yelling. I might also put Hogan lower on the list and maybe off of it, and Cena should also be lower but still on the list, since I don't think you can get to where he is if you're not good on the mic. I also wouldn't put Stone Cold at number 1, but instead the Rock, with Austin still top 5 probably. HBK should've made the list, replacing either Miz or Santino. I think Kurt Angle could also be someone to replace Santino or The Miz, as I know I enjoyed his promos, like when he sang his own version of HBK's theme song.

Actually, I think John Laurinaitis is clearly the best talker in the history of wrestling.

Not a Bad List.At least it wasn't like some more awful ones.though it definatly lacks a few things.
First of all Why in the World SANTINO & THE MIZ are here.with all respect to the Miz,he is just good not a master and Santino although he's over he can't do anything interesting with the mic.Put Shawn Micheals and Kurt Angle instead.Shawn was always good on mic (better than some) and Kurt could make every feud look interesting and intense at the same time.
Cena is way too high.He should be between 20 and 25.CM Punk is in top 10 without a doubt arond Jericho.TripleH around 11 or 12.Paul Heyman should be Much higher like 7 replacing cena.Edge was great too.Wonder why they put him 17.He Should be replacing Dusty at Eight.between Austin and Rock can't choose which to be on 1.Both were awesome in their prime so I don't know.

First of all how the HELL is Cena ahead of Heyman and CM Punk???

Because John Cena is THE guy in WWE, has been for the better part of a decade and has delivered year after year. Punk's a great talker, no doubt about that. The fact that he made 12 on the list is, to me if anything, how far Punk has come in such a short time. This time last year, Punk was lost in the mid-card doldrums and looked like he was on his way out the door. We knew he could do great mic work and he proved that beyond a shadow of a doubt during his feud with Jeff Hardy. However, it's only been less than a year in which Punk has really started to fulfill his potential.

Second of all WHY is Steiner not in the top 5 let alone not even on the list? Big Poppa Pump could get the crowd going better than ANYONE (short of the Rock)

Yeah, this is a HUGE exaggeration of Scott Steiner's ability. Steiner can go on a rant, whether it be on the mic or Twitter, like nobody else can. But a top 5 talker of all time? Not a chance. And no, Steiner never came remotely close to getting a crowd going anywhere close to the level of The Rock, Austin, Hogan, Savage, Punk, Cena or most of the other people on that list.

WHERE THE HELL IS SCOTT HALL???????

Probably hung over as we speak. As to why he wasn't on the list, he wasn't that great. He was pretty solid overall, especially if you kept his promos relatively short and put him in there with someone to play off of. However, he wasn't on the level of most of those guys listed.

All in all, it's a good list. As has already been said by some, the order is always debatable. Of the ones on the list, I don't see how Santino made it on. His antics can be entertaining but I never saw him as being particularly good on the mic. Not really sure about Lou Albano either. Not that he wasn't good in his day but, to me, I think guys like Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard should've been on there instead of Santino or Captain Lou.

A few people have said The Miz shouldn't be on the list. Why?

The Miz is amazing, just before WM27 when he was WWE Champion, he cut a brilliant segment with The Rock and John Cena. Rock and Cena were jabbering on and on about "Boots 2 Asses", "Team Bring-It", "Fashion advice from the Tooth Fairy", "You must Shop at Baby Gap", "I was one of the Millions", "You are nothing more than a Homeless Power-ranger" etc etc. Miz came in and just made that segment gold in my opinion. Then got his ass whooped by The Rock.

During Steve Austin's latest appearences (i think it was when he did Tough Enough) who was the bad guy on the Mic with Austin? the Miz!

Granted The Miz has been lost in shuffle lately but (just my opinion of course) you know when you love to hear a guy talk when you reach for the volume and turn it up.

Overall he probably shouldnt be in the top 10 but i think he is worthy of a place on that list.

Top Mic-Worker of all time for me is Triple H. He can talk really well as a Face or Heel and of course as a Suit.

I agree with this, Miz merits his place on the list. He is arguably the best talker in the WWE today, can work a crowd and regardless of his position within the company consistently delivers very good promos. Like Rock it was his promo work that got him over and enabled the transition from reality star to WWE champion, his mic work during his title run was amongst the best I've seen in a while. He isn't top ten but top 20 is entirely justified in my opinion.

Punk is ranked way too high. Its a joke he is ranked ahead of HHH, Hogan, Rude, Vince, Edge, Foley, Dibiase, Heyman etc.. When you look at who is missing you can make the case Punk and miz should not even be on the list.

Stone Cold as number one is right on the money, but the Rock at number 3 i don't get, a lot of people say that Cena is childish on the mic, but if that same people really listen to the Rock, they will find out that he's far more childish than Cena, i said this on another thread, i don't get why people are blinded by the Rock, in my opinion Cena is better than him, now, back to the original point, Stone Cold and Piper are where they are supose to be, but CM Punk should be number 3, Edge should also be on the top 5, i'm surprised that The Undertaker is not there, also HBK 90's version should be in the top 5 or ten, and Paul Heyman should be higher than that, he or Punk should be number 3, i can go on and on on thi list, but i know everyone has a different opinion, is up to everyone's favorites, i guess that list can be changed several times by different people, and that's great........

How does the Rock sound more childish than Cena? What are you smoking? Cena just says the same stuff over again, and his insults are grade school level. Oh wow he called Laurinitis a loser!!! What a great talker. I would pay money just to hear the Rock talk for an entire Raw.

Also Ric Flair should not be above Jericho lol.

My unsolicited two cents:
• Stone Cold and Piper — I would have them reversed but I'm not too worried.
• The Rock — He's great at delivery, but as his recent performances have shown, the dude really needs a script. I'd move him down a bit.
• Cena — Mixed bag, as always. He's definitely got skills, but he's all over the map and quite inconsistent. Bump down.
• Punk — I don't give a shit how new he is. The guy needs more respect. Totally the opposite of the Rock, and that's what makes him great. He's totally himself, all the way through.
• Santino — As much as I love him, he's a character and as such, a product of script-writing. Unless I'm mistaken, he's not an off-the-cuff guy. Shouldn't really be here.

I can't take this list seriously. I saw it on WWE's site last night and before the top 5, I thought to myself, "If Stone Cold is higher than The Rock, then this is just yet another attempt at Vince trying to push the whole 'Greatest Wrestler of ALL Time' title on him yet again." Honestly, Stone Cold was never great on the mic. He was usually good but he was never great. Coming from someone who loves the Stone Cold, I can't remember ONE memorable speech he gave outside of the often replayed "Austin 3:16 means I just whooped your ass!". Which when you think about it, isn't really funny..it's just a cool thing to wear on a shirt. (Much like the "What!" fascination)

Meanwhile, The Rock had THE MOST memorable speeches on the mic, and usually a ridiculous crowd showing up just to hear what he had to say. In a matter of seconds on the mic, he pretty much turned The Big Show into a joke after all the hard work they put into building him. He nullified Jericho's WWF debut speech. He sang Smackdown Hotel mid-match and got the crowd crazy. He often embarrassed the backstage interviewers like Michael Cole and Coach to much praise from the audience.

NO WRESTLER has that many well-received memorable mic-moments! Nice try, WWE (Vince).

When you really sit and think about it, this is a difficult list to criticize and say how you'd improve it, mainly because 25 just isn't a good enough number to list all of the great mic men (and women) in the history of the WWE or professional wrestling. Sure they missed out on a lot of great workers on the mic (Eddie Guerrero, Arn Anderson, Jim Cornette, Shawn Michaels, The Undertaker, Kurt Angle, Sensational Sherri, Nick Bockwinkel, Jerry Lawler, Raven, Shane Douglas, Curt Hennig, etc.), but when you think about it, all of the 25 guys on the list deserve to be there. The only two I kind of question are Santino Marella and the Miz, but if they increased the list to 50, I'd have no problem at all with them being there.

The problem for me is that I'm of the mindset that few wrestlers of the current era even compare to pretty much everyone from the past on the mic. And that's not the idea that "wrestling sucks now, it was way better in the Attitude Era" or anything silly like that. It's that most wrestlers on the mic, with a few exceptions are mostly just reciting scripts, which to me kills the artform of promo cutting. It's much better when wrestlers are speaking their minds and from their hearts and really getting into and feeling their character. In the old days, up until the last 7-8 years that's how it was. And if a wrestler couldn't cut a promo, they put him with someone that could, either a manager or a tag team partner that made up for the guy's lack of mic skills (The Hart Foundation comes to mind here). Now, guys are mostly reading scripts and it just doesn't feel as genuine or creative.

I mean most of the lower-to mid card guys from the 80's and even early 90's had better promos than most of the main event guys today IMO. So while guys like Santino Marella and The Miz are good on the mic, it's hard for me to put them over the Million Dollar Man, Rick Rude, Mr. Perfect, the Legion of Doom, or Arn Anderson.

As far as who's on the list, Santino and the Miz are probably the only ones I would definitely take off. The ones I would possibly take off would be Ted Dibiase, Rick Rude, JBL, Captain Lou Albano, and Jesse Ventura. And in their place, I would possibly put Arn Anderson, Nick Bockwinkel, Kurt Angle, Jim Cornette (actually I would put him on there, in place of Lou Albano), and maybe Shawn Michaels.

Again the thing is, it really isn't a shame to not be in the top 25, because there's so many great ones, 25 isn't enough.

As for should Stone Cold have been No.1? I don't agree with that. If I were to make a top 5/10, I think it would look something like this.....

1. Ric Flair
2. The Rock
3. Rowdy Roddy Piper
4. Stone Cold Steve Austin
5. Jake "the Snake" Roberts
6. Mick Foley
7. Macho Man Randy Savage
8. Chris Jericho
9. Dusty Rhodes
10. Jim Cornette

I'll admit that the Rock was more entertaining on the mic than Ric Flair and had funnier catchphrases, and could also ad-lib better, but I think Ric Flair really set the standard for promo work in pro wrestling and was more focused and to the point. Also the Rock had the tendancy to bury his opponents, which while often entertaining, really isn't a good thing to do. So I give the edge to Ric Flair and because he also had so many iconic catchphrases as well. Even today he cuts better promos than 98% of everyone in pro wrestling.

So with Flair and the Rock being the top two, the next up are Piper and Stone Cold with Jake the Snake not far behind. Roddy Piper is the best ad-libber in wrestling history and really set the standard for the "motormouth" style of cutting a wrestling promo. Stone Cold was darned good as well and highly entertaining, and also had numerous catchphrases. But he wasn't quite as creative as Roddy Piper.

Jake the Snake I put at No. 5 because he pioneered the calculating, chilling, downright scary style of promo cutting, that few since have been able to emulate (Undertaker and Raven are probably the ones that have come the closest). Most of your scary type of pro wrestling promos were from lunatic, savage like wrestlers (Mad Dog Vachon, the Wild Samoans, etc.), Jake was like a regular normal guy that you saw walking in the park, but was actually sadistic and crazy. That's what was even more scary about him.

Mick Foley was quite possibly the most diverse promo cutter and maybe the most passionate promo cutter of all-time (along with Ric Flair). Foley also tried to have really deep, philosphical style of promos which was a territory few had went before him or since. But he also could do the crazy, sadistic type of promos as Cactus Jack, then with the early version of Mankind. And he could also do down right hilarious comedic promos with Stone Cold and the Rock, as Mankind, Dude Love, or as just Mick Foley.

Actually add Randy Savage to the most passionate promo cutters with Flair and Foley. Savage had a great and unique voice for wrestling and was as entertaining as anyone ever on the mic.

Chris Jericho is also multi-faceted when it comes to promos. He can be your obnoxios, witty, sarcastic jerk (as either a heel or a babyface), he has had plenty of great catchphrases, and he can also be a cold, calculating, sociopathic heel as he's done in his later run.

It's kind of a shame at how so many people on this thread have undervalued the mic skills of Dusty Rhodes who is definitely one of the best ever on the mic. He had genuine, passionate promos that were at times hilarious (mainly do to his voice), but also quite deep and serious (his "Hard Times" promo speaks to this). Dusty Rhodes along with Roddy Piper and Ric Flair really elevated the art of promo-cutting during the 1980's.

And finally I list someone that no one has yet mentioned and that is Jim Cornette. Other than probably Roddy Piper there is no one in the history of pro wrestling that is better at utlilizing the "motormouth" style of promo cutting than Jim Cornette. He's got a great annoying voice that makes him easily hated (kind of like Paul Heyman), he knew how to get the guys he was managing over (as well as his opponents), he was hilarious, and he could also do really good shoot promos (watch his groundbreaking and amazing shoots that he did on Monday Night Raw in 1997 and 1998 to see what I mean). Jim Cornette is highly underrated, and I would dare say he is the best manager on the mic in history (though Bobby Heenan and Paul Heyman come close with Captain Lou not far behind).

After the top 10 (adding about 20 or 30 more) I would keep CM Punk, Hulk Hogan, John Cena, Superstar Billy Graham (while his promos seem tame today, he really was groundbreaking and revolutionary for his time), Mr. McMahon, Edge, Triple H, JBL, Ted Dibiase, Rick Rude, and Jesse Ventura. And then I'd also include Shawn Michaels, Raven, Kurt Angle, the Undertaker, William Regal, Eddie Guerrero, Arn Anderson, Tully Blanchard, Jerry Lawler, Curt Hennig, Rick Martel (highly underrated), the Road Warriors, Scott Steiner, Booker T, Goldust, Christian, and the Big Show. As far as managers, in addition to Cornette, Albano, Heyman, and Heenan, I'd also add spots for Jimmy Hart (another great motormouth), Sensational Sherri, and Gary Hart.

I'd also add some old-school wrestlers who were good on the mic for their era. Most of the wrestlers from the 1950's, 1960's, and 1970's didn't have near as elaborate and long promos as wrestlers in the 1980's and beyond, but many were more realistic and better at selling the fan to come see the match. Guys like Buddy Rogers, Killer Kowalski, Freddie Blassie, Terry Funk, and especially Nick Bockwinkel. After all Chris Jericho's promo style of the last 4-5 years has basically been a great, well done Nick Bockwinkel impersonation.

All of the names mentioned above would make for a pretty darned good "50 Greatest On the Mic in Wrestling" type of list.

In a matter of seconds on the mic, he pretty much turned The Big Show into a joke after all the hard work they put into building him. He nullified Jericho's WWF debut speech.

You know... those would actually be reasons to not make the Rock #1 on this list. It's not his job to bury talent on the mic. It's to sell the angle he's speaking on. Not that I really agree with your interpretation of either of those events, but if I did, then I would absolutely use those to move him down.

I'm not going to bother commenting on the guys that shouldn't be there... because for a wwe.com list, it's not bad. I would absolutely swap the top two though, because Piper is the guy that deserves the top spot.

I think unlike when they did their tag team lists, and their managers list... Hot Rod is hurt by the fact that there have been so many great talkers since his time, and memories fade. But my god, his manic style, his intensity, the way he would just draw the listener in. He was Attitude era back when attitude was just something that a teenager would have.

Go back and relive the awesomeness of the Piper on Youtube. You won't regret it.

The list wasnt that bad to be honest. Personally I feel that Hogan and JBL should be further up on the list. Cena doesnt deserve to be in the top 10. Stone Cold and The Rock should switch places and Santino shouldnt be on the list to begin with.

Dusty is HORRIBLE on the Mic

I found it difficult to read past this line.
Dusty Rhodes is one of THE greatest mic men in wrestling history. Period. Anyone saying anything different has no concept of what it means to deliver a promo.

The Miz should be no where NEAR this list. He's got lost in the shuffle during the whole Rock & Cena thing proving without a doubt that he didn't belong. The man never gave a memorable promo in his life.

My favorites (in no particular order except for the Rock being number one.)

1. The Rock
(country mile)
Jake Roberts
Arn Anderson
Stone Cold Steve Austin
Roddy Piper
Ric Flair
Bobby Heenan
Jim Cornette
Paul Heyman
Dusty Rhodes
Paul Ellering
Hawk

if people really listen to The Rock's promos, they will find out that a lot of people's promos are far better, so in this list of the 25 greatest of all time, the Rock should be between 15 and 25.........

15 and 25?

Its hard to take you seriously when you say stuff like this.

The Rock is EASILY one of the best if not THE best mic worker of all time. Go on youtube, and look up some of his work. If you're going by what he did all of last year, you're missing out. Last year was great work, but his entire run in the wwe? Yeah, you need to do some homework.

You know... those would actually be reasons to not make the Rock #1 on this list. It's not his job to bury talent on the mic. It's to sell the angle he's speaking on. Not that I really agree with your interpretation of either of those events, but if I did, then I would absolutely use those to move him down.

The list isn't "Top 25 Masters of Putting People Over with the Mic". This isn't the list where you lose credibility with mic skills just because you incinerate your rivals. This is more about being articulate, coming up with creative things to say, and getting the crowd to respond in a big way with your words. When The Rock was in his prime, he was damn sure all three of those things and did them better than anyone before him or in that time frame. There were plenty of times when he joked on someone without "burying" them so even if you wanted to count that against him, you'd be reaching a bit. However if you're going to factor not demolishing people on the mic, perhaps you should create your own list with that stipulation.

While speaking, The Rock's job was to get over with the crowd by entertaining using his mic skills. And whether face or heel, he proved he could do so if given a decent character direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back