WWE Region, Cairo Subregion, First Round: (12) Kenta Kobashi vs. (21) Brian Pillman

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Kenta Kobashi

• Brian Pillman

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the WWE Region, Cairo Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under WWE Rules. It will be held at Cairo International Stadium in Cairo, Egypt.

cairo_stadium1.jpg

02.jpg

#12. Kenta Kobashi

Vs.

brian_pillman_-_brian_pillman_07.jpg

#21. Brian Pillman

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

I'm going for Kenta in a reasonably short post. Here's why... I don't follow Japanese wrestling, like it all. But I know how good Kenta is. I've actually taken time out of my day to watch his matches on numerous occasions and each time I am blown away. He's had numerous 5 star matches, a trophy cabinet that is beyond so many other people and is one of the most talented pure wrestlers I've ever watched. And from someone who has a complete, almost, phobia of watching Japanese wrestling, that's saying a lot.

Pillman is a decent wrestler but he was never on that same level as Kenta was. Kenta goes through here in a quick encounter.

Eh, Pillman was in the first wrestling match I ever watched, but I can't remember who it was against. However, he was hardly the most successful wrestler of all time and is pretty much a bit of a cult figure. Kobashi has wrestled and beaten quite a lot of cult figures, so that's who I'm going for. I honestly couldn't give less of a shit who wins though.

Kenta Kobashi would definitely win. But I could see Brian Pillman's style of being basically bat-shit crazy, and diverse causing problems for Kobashi. I could easily see Pillman attempting to get some quick pins on Kobashi, and working on the leg throughout the match. But I see Kobashi getting the best of Pillman.

I would end it with Kobashi hitting him with lariat after lariat (2-3) and Pillman still kicking out. And finally, on his last one Kobashi rears his arm back and nearly knocks Pillman's head off.

I'm going for Kenta in a reasonably short post. Here's why... I don't follow Japanese wrestling, like it all. But I know how good Kenta is. I've actually taken time out of my day to watch his matches on numerous occasions and each time I am blown away. He's had numerous 5 star matches, a trophy cabinet that is beyond so many other people and is one of the most talented pure wrestlers I've ever watched. And from someone who has a complete, almost, phobia of watching Japanese wrestling, that's saying a lot.

Pillman is a decent wrestler but he was never on that same level as Kenta was. Kenta goes through here in a quick encounter.

I agree. I don't watch much Japanese wrestling but I've seen numerous Kobashi matches and MAN he was good! An unbelievable performer who is universally respected and can have a great match with anyone- a true superstar!

Pillman was a pioneer there's no doubt about it, but due to his injuries he was limited to a mid-card role, never breaking through to the main event. I love his work and it's a damn shame he wrecked his body so badly in that car accident that we never got to see him go as far as he could have.

But Kobashi did make it to the top, and stayed there a long time even with numerous surgeries. He's beaten bigger and better than Pillman and would undoubtably progress here.

You can't stand for a guy because of all the potential he may have fulfilled had he had the chance. When Pillman died, he was still on the precipice of becoming that special figure. If put in the right position and allowed to do what many suspect he could have done, he could've been something special.

He's overshadowed in this match by a Japanese competitor who is admired universally for his ability. He has no flashy gimmicks to tout his charisma, or potential left unfulfilled. For that reason, he goes over.

Disclaimer: I won't pretend that I have in-depth wrestling knowledge about a wide range of superstars. So, I'm going to perform my voting a little differently. There will be 127 matches in total in this tournament. I've comprised a list of 63 random 1v1 events. I'll randomize the list and base my vote off the results of who I think would win the selected event with my odd logic.

This event: Checkers

Logic: Brian Pillman is too crazy to succeed at a game like Checkers. The game doesn't offer that much innovation for strategy. Kenta is from a land of tradition. If anime has shown me anything, it is that the Asian culture likes sitting on the floor and playing a nice board game while divulging in exposition.

Winner: Kenta Kobashi

I have voted a lot out of reason but here I vote Pillman because I absolutely love the man's story and sternly believe he could have been really big had he lived on. Kobashi is a way bigger deal I know, just let me have this one.

Brian Pillman was super cool.

Kenta Kobashi is better at everything else, though.

Kobashi is the better wrestler, had the better career, and should move on here with ease.

Kobashi is amazing and deserves to win this match up. As good as Pillman was, it was as a Light Heavweight that he made his name. That match with Liger on the first Nitro is one of my favourites. Kenta Kobashi is one of the greats of Japan, he epitomizes Kings High Road style, the style the created the concept of the Super finisher. So I don't think that the Burning Hammer will be in play this match but Chops are pretty damned brutal and I think I remember a match where Kenta chopped someone enough that they were bleeding from their chest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back