WWE Region, Argentina Subregion,First Round: (2) Undertaker vs. (31) Masahiro Chono

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Undertaker

• Masahiro Chono

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the WWE Region, Buenos Aires Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under WWE Rules. It will be held at Luna Park in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Luna_Park-por-jorge.jpg

The%20Undertaker%281%29.jpg

#2. Undertaker

Vs.

Masahiro_Chono.jpg

#31. Masahiro Chono

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Undertaker here

However, don't take Masahiro Chono lightly. Mr. Black Jack is a former IWGP and NWA World Heavyweight Champion. Chono was trained by Stu Hart, Lou Thesz, and Antonio Inoki. He was also, at one point in time, the leader of the nWo Japan and he even joined WCW's nWo in 1996. He was ranked 28th in the PWI 500 in 1997 and was named best heel by the Wrestling Observer Newsletter in 1995. Chono is wildly popular in Japan and has even had limited success here in the states, but all in all, how many people really know who he is?

At the end of the day, 'Taker is far and away the bigger name and more successful wrestler. Vote 'Taker.

Every single argument I can think of leans towards Taker. Even now he is amongst the very best in the wrestling business. And moreso, during his prime, he was pretty much unbeatable. Say whatever you want about Steve Austin and The Rock, The Undertaker was actually the face of the WWE. He is known as an icon, a legend, and every other superlative that you can possibly imagine. And whilst my ignorance might help me in my decison against Chono, whom I know very little about, The Undertaker is the freaking Undertaker. He's beaten the very best that the business has to offer, and often on more than one occasion.

Taker here. Easily.

Undertaker here

However, don't take Masahiro Chono lightly. Mr. Black Jack is a former IWGP and NWA World Heavyweight Champion. Chono was trained by Stu Hart, Lou Thesz, and Antonio Inoki. He was also, at one point in time, the leader of the nWo Japan and he even joined WCW's nWo in 1996. He was ranked 28th in the PWI 500 in 1997 and was named best heel by the Wrestling Observer Newsletter in 1995. Chono is wildly popular in Japan and has even had limited success here in the states, but all in all, how many people really know who he is?

At the end of the day, 'Taker is far and away the bigger name and more successful wrestler. Vote 'Taker.

Hashtag Wikipedia.

Anyway, I've just finished writing a long piece about Big Show's longevity and the only person I could think that trumps that is The Undertaker. To have maintained such a ridiculous character from a cartoonish era through the Russo "worked shoot" times. Seriously. He played a fucking ghost, while Dustin Rhodes was burning his Goldust garb. Chono isn't a chump, but I've got to go Undertaker.

Hashtag Wikipedia.

Anyway, I've just finished writing a long piece about Big Show's longevity and the only person I could think that trumps that is The Undertaker. To have maintained such a ridiculous character from a cartoonish era through the Russo "worked shoot" times. Seriously. He played a fucking ghost, while Dustin Rhodes was burning his Goldust garb. Chono isn't a chump, but I've got to go Undertaker.

The part about his PWI ranking and Wrestling Observer Newsletter did come from Wikipedia, however, I learned a great deal about foreign wrestlers through a DVD that a friend of mine had. I forget the name, but it was amazing.

Undertaker isn't even amongst the greatest of all time as far as I'm concerned but also amongst the most well booked stars in history. Aside from winning 21 out of 22 wrestlemania match, a record that (in case you didn't know) was perfect until within a year ago, he is usually the guy that closes out feuds and has almost never been booked lower than his opponent.

His match with Lesnar last year was a rare example.

As such, it takes at least a top 20 kindof guy to knock him out of the tournament, and even then depending on the stipulations. Chono definitely doesn't come into that consideration and so cant really get a look in I'm afraid.

Great point from Dave, Taker has been the face of the WWE for at least the last 20 years. He was rarely injured, never took extended periods of time off for anything other than serious injury, and he worked the top of the card for the vast majority of his career.

Not many people could get and keep a dark character over for so long (and be so dominant) as Mark Calaway did The Taker gimmick.

Not to mention The Streak, the 7 world titles and the countless number of badass vignettes, when I think of the WWE, I think of the Undertaker.

Usually I make a fuss about Undertake beating someone he shouldn't. He took out Gene Kiniski last year and Mitsuharu Misawa the year before. Both of those men were huge, top of their era guys on par with the Austin/Rock/Hogan's who used to hand Taker his ass all the time. Hell, even Kane defeated Taker in back to back PPV's with the world title on the line.

Chono I would not count as a top era guy. Of the 3 Musketeers of NJPW [opposite the 4 Pillars of AJPW] Chono is Jun Akiyama tier. Meaning he was the weakest of the bunch. Or Chris Jericho if we're likening him to a WWE star.

If this were Taker vs Jericho I'd pick Taker, and I'll pick him over Chono too.

Disclaimer: I won't pretend that I have in-depth wrestling knowledge about a wide range of superstars. So, I'm going to perform my voting a little differently. There will be 127 matches in total in this tournament. I've comprised a list of 63 random 1v1 events. I'll randomize the list and base my vote off the results of who I think would win the selected event with my odd logic.

This event: Dance Dance Revolution

Logic: I think we have our first upset of the round. Chono looks like the exact person who would be found busting a move in the confines of a Japanese arcade. The guy screams expert mode. Sorry, Taker. You don't have moves like Chono.

Winner: Masahiro Chono

Well, we have Seattle born and bred Mr. Black Jack (Yes, Chono-san is a native-born American) vs. the Dead Man. Chono is wildly popular in Japan. He has appeared on all platforms in the entertainment spectrum, and had success here in the US. I personally loved it when Madusa called him out in Japanese on WCW Saturday Night.

However, all Chono's accomplishments pale to the Dead Man. Mark Callaway took an idiotic gimmick, something that read "Future Endeavored" all over it, and turned into one of the most iconic characters in wrestling history. His 21 consecutive wins at Wrestlemania will never be equaled. He was never really "the Man", but he was damn close for many years. As great as Chono is, he would fall like that tower with those reporters on it in the original "Godzilla", against 'Taker. The Dead Man gets my vote.

Chono was the last match of Lou Thesz. Think about that for a second, Thesz came out of retirement to have a match in his 70s against his student. That is a pretty good early career achievement. I just wanted to bring this up because he is losing this match and I won't be able to bring this up later.

Undertaker wins this as he is one of the greats of all time which is an impressive feat when you consider how dire some of his matches have been over the years. When Taker started moving more in the ring he got better. But it is in his older age that he has been performing at his best. So I think it will be Taker that wins but it should be close even though it won't be in the votes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back