WWE on the verge of its next boom period?

litarock82

Dark Match Winner
Since wrestlemania we have seen in the wwe, establishment of new main event players, intriging storylines, and a bunch of hungry young superstars who are actually wanting to be the next big thing.

now some of the stuff has been crap aka cole vs lawler
but who will ever forget edges retirement shock giving christian his first major title and feud, the miz establishment as a top star, the development of young and up and coming superstars aka riley, barret, sin cara, etc

what i am getting at is the fact that for a big boom period in wrestling the equation is simple, a few veterans --> a big draw at his peak --> the superstars who are poised to be the next draw = BIG TIME

for raw is sums up to be: rey/big show--> cena--> miz/riley/del rio

smackdown is: christian/henry --> orton --> sheamus/sin cara

i truly believe that the lead up to wrestlemania 28 will hit wwes next boom period, 2010 was the most profitable year for wwe, signs of big things to come?

Questions:
When do you think wwe will hit its next boom period?
Who do you think will be the next main star?
Are you excited for the current product?

1. within the next year
2. alex riley
3. yes big time

2010 being it's most profitable year only means WWE will only continue to move into the direction of children's entertainment. Everyone you mentioned is generic except for The Miz at times, and Del Rio.

Hopefully this Monday they see the ratings from the Punk thing and try to go in a more mature direction, but I'm probably delusional.

The logical side of me says that the WWE started catering to kids around 2007. So that would mean a 7-10 year old would be 11-14 today. And of course they would want an edgier product, just as kids who grew up with Hogan and Bret Hart became fans of Stone Cold and co. later on in the 90's. But then again you have to take into account all the new fans they've gained as apart of the watered down product. So I guess we'll have a watered down product as long as there are kids' parents giving money.

I don't even want the Attitude Era back (although it would be nice, the logical side of me says otherwise), a product resembling the 2005-2007 era would be great.

But the smart side of me knows that we aren't going from Jericho being on Disney shows and R-Truth talking about "little Jimmys" and actually getting World Title shots off of it, to a 5-Star product.

Honestly I've given up on the WWE ever leaving this PG era, makes them too much money, and I hope CM Punk goes to TNA so he can actually give Vince some competition so fans who aren't 10 years old will either A. be able to enjoy the WWE product again now that they are putting on a show, due to competition, or B. Enjoy the clusterfuck known as TNA.

So to answer your question, no. We are not on the verge of a boom period. We are just getting a new school of mostly bland superstars, or superstars who will never reach full potential because they won't be able to have interesting characters due to the shooting down of creativity.

I was thinking the same thing. The whole CM punk fiasco can be related to the Austin 316 speech. It started something new (attitude era) although it didnt take effect immediately. Wrestlemania 28 should hopefully be the oifficial turning point. However, I honestly feel the WWE will not hit its next "era" until Cena turns heel. It's INEVITABLE people, it will happen sooner or later. Don't wanna change the topic, but if I was in charge, I'd let Cena turn heel at WM and beat the Rock....

2010 was the most profitable year for wwe, signs of big things to come?

Questions:

Seriously? I hadn't heard anything about it being the most profitable year ever? Any links of proof?

1.HOPEFULLY this year with this CM Punk angle

2.I think Alex Riley/Alberto Del Rio. I HOPE Zack Ryder/Wade Barrett.

I hope for a full blown revolution. Where CM Punk takes the WWE title and "leaves" for a while and a new title belt is made. That they will finally push Zack Ryder to the moon by popular demand. That Wade Barrett will win MITB and become a permanant main eventer. That Alberto wins Vs. Cena at Summerslam and is the 1st to hold that new WWE title belt. That the divas division will be taken a little more seriously. That Tyler Black finally gets brought up to the RAW roster and pushed to the moon. That Cena/Orton get less spotlight. All of that type of stuff , I sure hope....

3.Yes & No. Hard to explain. It all depends on CM Punk. If this is all an epic angle then YES! If this isn't an angle and hes really leaving? Then no cause its been stale and this Punk thing is the only glimmer of hope in the WWE right now

You very well may be entering a boom. Look at me.. I just registered here for this thread and I'm posting. I'm 26 years old and have been watching wrestling since about 1989, however I stopped following WWE in 2003. Guess who is back?

It's due in part to the Rock, Stone Cold and now CM Punk.

THIS IS NOT ANOTHER PG VS ATTITUDE ERA THREAD, THE WWE IS NOT FULL PG IN FACT IT HAS SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE, THE THREAD IS ABOUT WHEN WWES POPULAARITY WILL GAIN STEAM AND HIT ITS NEXT BOOM PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dunno if you were referring to me, but it does have alot to do with Attitude vs PG. Attitude was a boom and a death throws period (by necessity) after a lull with the New Generation (lackluster characters, low ratings) era leading upto the Attitude era (alot of interesting stuff, money pumped in at all costs, characters galore) and now then they went almost back to square 1 (no talent hacks, no promo's, no clue) until the last few years when the edge has crept back in more then in the last decade

face it though, the Cena era may appear to us as a dead period but they wouldn't have kept with it so long if it wasn't making money gaining new sponsors and expanding there empire to other areas not strictly wrestling.

and now they have some backing they can hopefully have pumped some more money back into the core product, but it needs to start at the talent level.

you give this shitty company way too much credit, this kind of talk ive been hearing and reading about since 2007, and then we go back to the same shitty place.

Face it wwe is a terrible company

to poster 11, if its such a shitty company why is it making millions of dollars and why are you on a predominant wwe website, fuckward

Ugh ... you both know this is the non-spam, non-flaming section of the forum right?

First poster I quoted, "WWE is a terrible company." Really? The company that monopolised an entire industry is a "terrible company"? What, even considering of pretty much all wrestling promotions everywhere, they enjoy the greatest success? Yes it's had its ups and downs, but it's been on top now with no real competition for over a decade.

Second poster and OP, props for being slightly less wrong. WWE is successful but this website is not "predominant WWE". You make it sound as if Vince owns the forum. It just makes sense to have the largest company (that is pretty much divided in two for some self-serving competition), to have a number of relevant sections. TNA is the only other company to have its own section here and it just barely deserves the recognition. The wrestling world, however, is predominantly WWE, considering they're the most known promotion, but there are a lot of nooks and crannies with great wrestlers and performers in them.

Anyway ... this whole thread can be easily summed up as "getting ahead of ourselves", just like last week when everyone said Punk's promo was the new "3:16". Well, I don't see any numbers being used to abbreviate catchphrases yet.

That promo, while very, very good, has not only caused a lot of PG/Cena/Orton/whatever haters to make exceptionally shitty posts, but it was one 'loosely shootified' promo at the end of a fairly average (although well-wrestled) Raw, whereas Austin's promo came on PPV, at the start of a push he was not originally in line to receive, and it snowballed from there.

By the way before I finish I think it's worth mentioning here, since these kind of discussions always, always, always without fail devolve into "PG sucks, Attitude rules," a lot of nostalgia filters are preventing people from seeing the benefits of PG. I might as well list some again:

1) More sponsors, resulting in:
1.a) More money
1.b) Larger audience
2) Swears and violent spots are less frequent, so mean a lot more when they do happen
3) Crackdown on swears means everyone needs to get more inventive promo-wise
4) Crackdown on ridiculous spots means safer environment, which means:
4.a) Wrestlers with greater longevity
4.b) Better publicity because early deaths and stuff will be less frequent in a business that is rife with them

Back to Punk. When (or maybe IF would be more sensible) Punk attains the same level of success that Austin had, including pretty much a giant face turn which would require displacing/heel-turning Cena and Orton, then we can safely say '2011-20whenever was the next great boom".

So ultimately this entire thread is all just speculation on the future, but with no real evidence to support said speculation, and therefore utterly pointless. But still worth writing out this reply because I'm a dick and also slightly crazy.

I could be wrong. I could be right. Only the future will tell.

Interesting topic.

I didn't go through and read everyone's responses, so my post isn't necessarily a response to the posts that have been posted in this thread, but it's kind of a response to what I feel is sort of the general IWC opinion about the next boom period.

It seems that most fans believe that the next boom period will occur once the new younger fans grow up and then want an edgier product and will thus get it. Thus we need an edgy product reminscent of the Attitude Era to get our next wrestling boom period. I think that's what a lot of fans think, and for those fans, they're wrong.

While I'm sure an edgy product might help, that isn't solely what's going to do it. Remember, the two other big boom periods in modern wrestling history didn't result out of a raunchy product.

While Gorgeous George playing a gay wrestler was very controversial in the early 1950's and could've been considered edgy and raunchy for that time, overall wrestling didn't hit it big in that time because the product was edgy and raunchy. It had to do with one big draw (Gorgeous George) and the advent of television. Television was a brand new thing, and anything that was on TV was going to become a phenomenon. Wrestling happened to get on at the right time. And walah! You've got a wrestling boom period.

Fast forward to the mid 1980's. The WWF was very much how it is now. It was geared towards kids. It was PG, especially in the mid to late '80s. Hulk Hogan was leading the charge with Andre, Piper, Savage, JYD, and later on the Million Dollar Man, the Ultimate Warrior, etc. The product was definitely not edgy and raunchy, and wrestling was huge in that time (just as big as it was in the Attitude Era, from a pop culture standpoint, and the TV ratings were bigger too). It was PG, just how it is now.

So if the product wasn't edgy and raunchy, how were they so successful. Simple. There are three key ingredients that it takes for a boom period in wrestling to occur.

1. A huge name draw that hardcore wrestling fans, and semi-wrestling fans, and people that aren't fans can relate to, or at least want to watch. It also helps for this big draw to be somewhat unique and different from the norm, which adds extra attention and interest to them.

Gorgeous George wasn't really relatable, but he was new and different. There had never been such a flamboyant and charismatic wrestler. The fans didn't relate to him and root for him. Instead they paid in droves to watch him get his ass kicked. Aka: he was the classic heel.

Hulk Hogan while somewhat reminiscent of previous wrestling heroes (Bruno Sammartino, Pedro Morales, Jimmy Snuka), he was still new and different as while those guys were more of your common man type of guys the fans could get behind, Hogan was very super-hero like and larger than life. He was perfect for the kids and easily likable. He brought a whole super-hero, comic book feel to pro wrestling which really hadn't been done before in American pro wrestling.

Stone Cold Steve Austin was revolutionary as he was your first major anti-hero in the modern era (besides the Road Warriors and Jake Roberts). He was the common man that every fan could relate to. He was also a very skilled worker and wrestler (contrary to popular IWC belief), so the smarks loved him, and the marks or outside viewers who became fans loved him. He was perfect.

2. Some kind of new medium of pop culture and/or technology that brings extra attention and interest to wrestling.

In the early 1950's boom period it was the advent of television. Television was a whole new medium of entertainment for society and anything on it became popular and loved. With pro wrestling on TV, everyone in the country was watching it. Remember that at that time, there was little choice in channels, so once wrestling was on, that's what you pretty much had to watch, and thus anyone that had a TV at the time watched wrestling.

In the 1980's it was MTV and the Rock N' Wrestling Connection and the advent of cable television. Cyndi Lauper's crossover storylines with Roddy Piper and Capt. Lou Albano was a vital key to the 1980's wrestling boom. Even moreso than Hulk Hogan and Roddy Piper's feud and Mr. T's involvement. Cyndi Lauper was the biggest female pop star of that time (this was just before Madonna hit it big), and thus if she's involved, anyone that gives a crap about pop culture at the time is gonna check wrestling out. And that's what happened. Cyndi Lauper brought in viewers. And when they saw the likes of people like Hulk Hogan and Roddy Piper and Jimmy Snuka, and of course Andre who most people at the time already knew they were instantly entertained and kept watching. Then when Mr. T got involved things really grew. MTV was new and exciting at the time and was also the spearhead for the crossover of wrestling and the music stars of the time.

In addition to MTV and celebrity involvement, the new cable television industry helped to increase the exposure of pro wrestling ten fold. Just as television did in the 1950's, cable TV brought wrestling to an even bigger audience. Finally, fans in New York could watch Mid-Atlantic wrestling on TBS, or fans in Minneapolis (AWA territory) could watch the WWF on USA. Or fans in Texas could watch the AWA on ESPN. And if you had enough local channels fans across the country could watch smaller territories like World Class Championship Wrestling, or Memphis Wrestling, or Florida Championship Wrestling.

Then by the late 1980's, you had ppv develop which revolutionzed the pro wrestling industry itself.

As for the late 1990's boom, television helped again, and of course the Monday Night Wars. TNT and USA which were (and still are) two of the biggest channels on cable were at war to gain wrestling viewers thanks to the WCW and WWF feud, which only increased interest and eventually led to a full scale boom.

Also the advent of the internet I'm sure played a role in bringing more exposure and interest to pro wrestling.

3. The product must reflect and represent the values and interests of society at that time.

This may be the hardest element to achieve.

In the 1950's we as a country were in our "traditionalist/American dream" period. The middle class family living in the suburbs, your Leave it to Beaver type all-American families. We were also in our first decade after World War II and also at the beginning of the Cold War. Men were supposed to be tough, strong human beings, and that was what wrestling represented. Hence why wrestling was still considered a sport. Your biggest draws were still your tough guy wrestlers like Lou Thesz, Verne Gagne, Dick the Bruiser. And on the other side you had your sneaky cowardly heels that weren't "real men" and thus should get their asses kicked by the real men. Your guys like Buddy Rogers, Gorgeous George, Dr. Jerry Graham. If a wrestler was flashy, flamboyant, or different, then he was usually a heel, and the traditional "macho" type of guy would beat him up. That was kind of how society was then.

In the 1980's we were at the end of the Cold War, and everything in America was bigger and flashy and larger than life. That was the era of greed. Huge mansions, huge skyscrapers and buildings being built, tons of money, fast jets, flashy cars, etc. Aka: the Ric Flair lifestyle lol. Thus why larger than life, flashy characters were the top draws. From Ric Flair, to Dusty Rhodes, to Hulk Hogan, to Andre the Giant, to Macho Man, to the Ultiamte Warrior, to Ted Dibiase. These guys were larger than life characters. Flashy and flamboyant. Super heroes or super villains. On the other side, there was a heightened sense of nationalism at the time. Hence why you had larger than life all american heroes like Hulk Hogan and Sgt. Slaughter, and cowardly foreign heels like the Iron Sheik, Nikolai Volkoff, Mr. Fuji, etc. The WWF product at its height was representative of 1980's culture and society.

Fast forward to the late 1990's, American culture is the complete opposite, we're in the era of "the lost generation" Gen-X. This generation for the most part isn't flashy, living the high life, fun and good times, like the era that was the 1980's. This was an era where people didn't know their role in the world, where people realized they weren't going to get a chance at the American dream like previous generations. This was an era of rebellion against the mainstream and the norm. We had our first President that acknowleded that he took drugs and smoked pot in his younger days. We had gang wars across the country and the drug epidimic. We had alternative music and indie films come to prominence. This was the edgy and rebellious era for American culture. Hence why we got the rise of ECW and the NWO storyline in WCW, and the Attitude Era of the WWF. All of these things worked so well because they reprsented life and culture of 1990's America. Stone Cold Steve Austin and the NWO would've been dastardly heels in the 1980's and 1950's. But in the 1990's where we loved rebellion and those that went against the norm, they were cool heroes.

So, with all of that said, I don't really see any of those things happening in the near future. I don't see any wrestler presently in WWE who can take the world by storm in the way that Gorgeous George, Hulk Hogan, and Steve Austin did in their eras. CM Punk is an incredible talent, the best in the world today, but as great as he is, I don't see him being the guy that will take the world by storm and bring in non-wrestling fans and appeal to the majority. CM Punk to me doesn't represent some kind of ideal or characterisitc that the majority of the country can relate to and get behind or even go against. I don't really think John Cena does either although he comes closer than anyone. But until some big draw comes along that the world can get behind or go against, we're not gonna have our boom period.

I do think we have a technological advent that can help increase the attention and awareness and even interest of pro wrestling. What is that? Websites like Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr (I would've said Myspace a few years ago but it's pretty much dead). I also think that a potential WWE channel could help increase interest as well and further gain it's exposure. Also WWE's foothold across the world is only helping their cause as they are truly becoming a global phenomenon.

As for having a product that represents the values of our culture and society today, I'm not really sure if that's happening. Frankly I'm not really sure how you can create a product that represents us now. I'm not really sure how you can define our culture now. It's not as simple as it was in the '90s and '80s. Things are much more complicated now.

Either way, I don't think we're upon a boom period yet. As for when it'll happen? I can't really say. We need a huge draw name that will draw in everyone. We don't have that guy (or girl?) yet. I don't feel we do anyway.

I don't think WWE will be experiencing growth, or a boom, in the foreseeable future. John Cena, the biggest current draw, is the most likely star of today to cause a boom, but he had years to do that. Albeit, the boom could start now, but I don't see why it would. Truth is, outside of John Cena, they have no solid face for the company. And with no other good draw, at this point, I don't think it'll happen.

I dont know when they will hit another boom period, but I have yet to see anything that sparks that thought... As soon as Austin shaved the peach fuzz and got in better shape already and seemed to get very aggresive, I could tell that he was about to be the real deal... and he was still with debiase at that time... when the Rock kidapped Chyna and said "The Rock would never ever kiss a peice of trash like you." I knew that the sky was the limit... it wasnt what they did or said, but it was just something in the air...

I dont know who the next big star is as I have not seen or recongnized that kind of magic... but the good thing is that any man or lady that knows they have it are going to try to get into WWE... the talent will find them... so they can rest easy in knowing that ther future is always their best asset and they need to keep having faith in that

With all of that said, I like what they have at this time.... no one has stepped up to be a household name but be patient... those people are fine china and dont appear all the time... but when that star does get there they will have a lot better wrestlers to work with than Aldo Montoro, Max Moon, Savio Vega or Duke the Dumpster Drosey.... that's who the last breakouts had to be with for a while... so all and all the next boom can be sensational... so please stop complaining fans

There's really no evidence that WWE's heading for a boom period. If anything the numbers point to the exact opposite. Like I said in a topic a few weeks ago, their 2011 profits are down across the board with the exception of the last PPV which managed to do better than last year. And their stocks have declined to the point where they're not even close to being a billion dollar company anymore.

Maybe we are entering another boom period, but there's one thing WWE still needs for another boom period: a face that people can't get enough of. In the 60's and 70's, when Vince's father was in charge, it was Bruno Sammartino. In the 80's, when the WWF was expanding nationwide, it was Hulk Hogan. In the Attitude Era, it was Steve Austin who turned the tide of the Monday Night Wars.

The WWE has it's edgy moments, but it's proven they don't need blood, chair shots to the head and outrageous crap from the past to be successful. They would never go straight back to an atitude era type style, but I could see them amping it up a little more often as time goes on. IE bumping up to a PG13/14A show once in a while.

I think WWE is definately in a transitional period. Everything is changing, slowly, but changing nontheless. The first thing that tipped me off was the Nexus angle. The fact that they were willing to keep Cena out of the title picture and take a risk with a bunch of new guys was something very uncommon. The last couple of years have been horrible since we've been losing more established superstars while we werent making any main eventers. WWE has found out how to utilize more superstars. Everyone has something going for them, and I think thats whats making the WWE what it is today. Guys like Del Rio, The Miz, Sin Cara, can come in fresh and make a difference. Even guys like Cody and DiBiease are making the best out of a ridiculous storyline. After WM28 we're deffinately going to be ushering in a new era.

This does have a lil to do with 14A vs PG but we all have to remember that wrestling boomed significantly under both the 14A and PG rating because the PRODUCT IN THE RING WAS GOOD.

Wrestling will always go up and down. WWE was more 14A in the 70's and then they went more PG and weeded out the 14A style fan and the product boomed, then they hit a low and changed to a 14A product, weeded out the PG fans, and it boomed, now they are transitioning again to PG weeding out those who only watched cause they liked 14A style product (people cutting themselves, no psychology in matches, etc.)

The boom is coming again because soon the kids who are watching will get part time jobs and start buying tickets with THEIR money and buy merch with THEIR money. Parents having control on how much is consumed by a single viewer will become obsolete as it did when the Hogan fans grew up in the late 90's.

We will get 5 - 6 years of boom, and 5 - 6 years of a down period. Its like sports teams, after a while you gotta rebuild and be a lil shitty for a while but then you build up and your a monster again...(see NHL's Blackhawks, NFL's Saints, NBA's Bulls, etc.)

1. In about 3-5 years
2. Besides me of course, Kofi Kingston
3. I've always been excited for WWE. The product has taken a serious hit in interesting storylines and quality, but WWE is my passion. I will never leave it.

Its hard to say whether the WWE is on the verge of another boom as it is almost impossible to anticipate such things, however like many others on this forum i do believe WWE is changing certain little details in there programming and maybe....juuust maybe, trying to find that middle ground between PG and 14A that could hopefully appease all fans.
My only qualm with the whole argument that most people stand by for the reasoning behind the PG is that they say it makes MORE money.
I cannot understand this and let me explain why.
As long as the arenas sell out every week then on average the WWE would be set to make the same rough amount in ticket and merch sales, correct?.
So how can people say 'If they went 14A they would lose money!' Howe exactly would they lose money if they still sell out there stadiums, granted maybe they lose 1000 t shirt sales but they could easily make that money up by selling beer at arena shows once again (this would make the crowds the loud proud crowds of the 90's style which always made the show better, much better then the current families sitting quietly and only making noise for a big SPOT) and also in PPV buys as they would no doubt sell more with an edgier product.
Im sorry but the whole 'kids kids kids, buy merch, parents parents parents' argument just shits me to tears as it is NOT the sole reason for WWE staying PG.

Its hard to say whether the WWE is on the verge of another boom as it is almost impossible to anticipate such things, however like many others on this forum i do believe WWE is changing certain little details in there programming and maybe....juuust maybe, trying to find that middle ground between PG and 14A that could hopefully appease all fans.
My only qualm with the whole argument that most people stand by for the reasoning behind the PG is that they say it makes MORE money.
I cannot understand this and let me explain why.
As long as the arenas sell out every week then on average the WWE would be set to make the same rough amount in ticket and merch sales, correct?.
So how can people say 'If they went 14A they would lose money!' Howe exactly would they lose money if they still sell out there stadiums, granted maybe they lose 1000 t shirt sales but they could easily make that money up by selling beer at arena shows once again (this would make the crowds the loud proud crowds of the 90's style which always made the show better, much better then the current families sitting quietly and only making noise for a big SPOT) and also in PPV buys as they would no doubt sell more with an edgier product.
Im sorry but the whole 'kids kids kids, buy merch, parents parents parents' argument just shits me to tears as it is NOT the sole reason for WWE staying PG.

The main reason that WWE is PG is to attract advertisers who want to reach children. They are making a massive amount of money on advertisements from companies that would not advertise on WWE if it was a TV14 show. Plus its much easier to pitch a PG program to advertisers as opposed to a raunchy one.

I've said it a 100 time, and I'll say it again... Sin Cara will not be the next big thing in wrestling. If you can't cut a promo, you don't have a very bright future in the WWE, or in any American-style pro wrestling organization. Maybe he could go far with a manager to speak for him, but there's still a level to that. Rey Mysterio got big, but he still has never and will never be as big a guys like Triple H, Shawn Micheals, Chris Jericho, etc. Rey Myterio used to do way more crazy things than Sin Cara, and he can at least speak english. But Mysterio is a small guy who can't really cut a promo, and therefor hasn't put on a ton of killer feuds. His work with Guerrero was his best, and that was mostly Eddie. Same with CM Punk and Chris Jericho!

There are some talents with potential, but very few who could lead a company into a "boom". I just don't see an Austin or a Rock in the crowd right now. I see CM Punk... I even see Dolph Ziggler and MAYBE this Miz... But where is your dynamic roster? You can't just have a Hogan and Andre, you need to have a Bret Hart, Sid Viscous, Ric Flair, Bruno, Hacksaw, DiBiase, Savage, and Jake Roberts too....

I couldnt agree more with everyone that has been writing about how the product is going to change in the next few years because the current "target audience" of the wwe is growing up soon. i look at it like this personaly

in the late 80's and early 90's with hogan it was geared towards mostly towards kids but they still had the ability to reach teenagers and adults.

Then we got the kiddy crap with doink dink pink and repo man... and the new generation was terrible. older fans left and there target audience was kids...

a few years latter those "kids" got older and wanted more thus the attitude era, ECW, and NWO.

i feel it is a natural cycle as the early 2000's were a mix (talking about brand extension)
now were in the kiddy friendly era... and soon it will change.

i also read someones post that said wrestling should reflect our culture. Bravo thats fantastic! he mentioned hogan being a super hero in the 80's, austin the rebel in the 90's and now nothing. and the question is how do we define who we are now as a society in wrestling? i feel its rather simple: FUSTRATION

people are unhappy about the economy, our president ( in the US), jobs, and just about everything else. so use that. i can attest to this im 25 and have two college degrees and 6 years experience in my field and cant get a job. so maybe being fustrated with the system and making "the man" money is something to go with.

or did the wwe start that already with R-truth and cm punk. how many people can agree with having a job and being good at it, but someone else gets a promotions b/c ONE single person thinks he is better than you, meanwhile you and your peers know it isnt true. i feel its something they could go with and not using the generic "im being held down". No go with what punk did call out the wwe brass on tv b/c no one likes getting less then they deserve. even if punk really does leave have someone come out and say that they agree with what he said and almost take up his fight. just a thought

I don't think the WWE will hit a boom period again anytime soon, not with the current stars and gimmicks they have at least. The PG era isn't the problem. PG TV is a much better decision for the WWE. People think PG means you can't have great storyline and gimmicks but that isn't it at all. The problem is the writers are running the show for the most part by them selves and the wrestlers are not really being given the opportunity to make their character special. WWE needs to give more creative control to the wrestlers and allow for them to add to the creative process. The past few years we have been getting the same cookie cutter wrestler over and over and over. Until each wrestler is truly unique and are given more freedom to be themselves, the WWE won't hit another boom period.

I think it is too early to tell. Going back to what I said before it all depends on getting a good gimmick that really hits the spot with the fans and looking at everyone on the current roster, I don't see anybody being that next mega star like Austin or Hogan on the current roster with their current gimmicks.

For the most part though we all know who will be the next "main event" superstars. Guys like The Miz, Sheamus, Cody Rhodes, Dolph Ziggler, Alberto Del Rio and possibly Alex Riley (too early to tell) Barrett (not crazy about him) and Daniel Bryan (No Gimmick) maybe main event stars as well. But right now none of these guys can carry the company like Austin, Hogan or even (sorry) Cena can, but with the right gimmick who knows who will be the next mega star. It could be Zack Ryder...Woo Woo Woo...you know it.

Ehh depends. I still enjoy Raw to a point. CM Punk is getting me excited but I have learned never to get too excited about something the WWE starts. I am fairly certain that the WWE has resigned CM Punk. The WWE wouldn't allow him to do something that drastic unless they already have him signed. I wouldn't be surprised though if his new contract doesn't start till like the fall or early winter, allowing him to take a break. I wouldn't also be surprised if the WWE allows him to make non WWE appearances during these months like going to ROH, just to add to the storyline of him being against the WWE. Then come fall or winter Punk will attempt some form of an nWo invasion angle but with Indie wrestlers...regardless (im getting off track)

The product excites me to a point. I don't watch Smackdown anymore, to me it is pointless. Anything big that happens on WWE programming will happen on Raw. When I do watch Raw though I typically am doing something else while I watch it, only tuning in for certain points. A lot of Raw though is the same thing over and over again. I am sorry but although they are both amazing wrestlers, I can't watch Kofi and Ziggler one more time. These guys have been feuding for like a year. Both these guys need to move on.

The real difference is Shock Value...

Back in say, 96... Wrestling was kind of boring, Bret and Shawn were plain good guy heros and they still had the stupid characters running around...

So, out of staleness came feshness... lol

Everything was so popular in the Attitude Era partly because of that peroid of staleness... New "real" characters like DX, Rock and Austin changed the game and people ate it up because the business was becoming stale... WcW was kicking their ass, so they shot big and it worked...

I'm kind of thinking Vince may have been smart enough to pull it off again... I mean, we have been having the dumbass themed RAWs and the Guest host period and the whole PG Era has been pretty stale and the decline in ratings prove this...

But... What if? Vince planned the PG Era, just so he could come back with a new version of the Attitude era?

That's what makes things like the debut of Nexus and CM Punk's promo stand out, because we have been overwhelmed with dumb child pandering crap... It's what makes us boo Cena for being the boring face.... We as adults are the ones spending the money on the product and we want to be entertained...
They just need to control the shock value... In the Attitude Era, they did stupid shit just for the point of doing stupid shit and it almost ruined the business all together...

Edit: I posted this in another thread but thought it would apply here too...

I really hope we are on the verge of a more adult themed product... i'm tired of falling asleep watching boring RAWs... If it weren't for DVR, I probably wouldn't even watch most of the new era...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back