• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WWE.com List: Top 10 Biggest Signing in WWE History

BestSportsEntertainer

I Don't Need No User Title
Here's the link - http://www.wwe.com/inside/10-biggest-signings-in-wwe-history

10 - Finn Balor
9 - Big Show
8 - Hideo Itami
7 - Samoa Joe
6 - Goldberg
5 - Eddie Guerrero
4 - Sting
3 - Kurt Angle
2 - Rey Mysterio
1 - Chris Jericho

I was surprised signings such as Undertaker, Stone Cold, or The Rock weren't included though I don't guess they were considered big at the time.

Who is on your top 10 list of WWE's biggest signings in history?

Those 3 aren't listed as they are all WWE created superstars.

The people on the list all had big names outside of WWE prior to that

This would be a tough list to compile. Pre Monday War it was difficult to make a major splash w/previous accomplishments b/c they typically changed the gimmick or just pretended you were brand new in the business. With that being said I am surprised there are a few names missing.

Where is Ric Flair. The WWF/E was able to steal away the second biggest name in the business at the time. The "Real Worlds Champ" was coming to claim the WWF/E thrown. This signing was freaking major. It is unfortunate that we never got that big Hogan/Flair payday.

For obvious reasons he has been omitted but Hogan should be on this list. Coming off Rocky and his AWA run Hogan was on fire. He was a blockbuster grab. Thats why they put the strap on his waist, a rocket up his ass and rode Hogan to the moon.

Here's the link - http://www.wwe.com/inside/10-biggest-signings-in-wwe-history
I was surprised signings such as Undertaker, Stone Cold, or The Rock weren't included though I don't guess they were considered big at the time.

Who is on your top 10 list of WWE's biggest signings in history?

You have to realize Undertaker, Austin and The Rock weren't big stars upon their signing. Austin had moderate success in WCW but wasn't on the level he eventually ended up being on. Ole Anderson didn't believe Undertaker would be a draw in WCW or anywhere, Bischoff felt the same about Austin and The Rock was still largely unknown upon being signed with WWE.

The list makes sense. Jericho and Mysterio was hyped for a significant amount of time so their positions on that list makes sense. Despite Angle's Amateur and Olympic background I am surprised he's as high on that list but overall I can't despite that order on that list. I thought Big Show would've been a tad higher, however.

I think Angle is as high as he is because he won a medal at the Olympics. I can't remember how they handle his debut and what not, because I was mainly a WCW guy but it probably got a lot of press in the mainstream media, so I'm sure it was memorable.

Wow, no Punk or Bryan. And they were both pretty big signings at the time. When Bryan was on NXT(he was hipster and was there before it was cool) Miz even mentioned it and they used it as storyline how he was big in Indy's but that means nothing in WWE.

I'm surprised Sting is not number 1 to be honest. All people would talk about is when is Sting going to sign or if he would even sign at all. Maybe if he was 5 years younger then things would of been different or if he wrestled on a more consistent basis but in my opinion it was a massive signing. Dream matches that people only could do on WWE 2k could finally come to life (although none have yet). Also I though the Big Show would be top 5 as well atleast. The way he was brought in was perfect as well. All in all though not much more complaints about the list. Thought Jericho and Eddie were a bit higher than they could of been but maybe by only a spot or 2. I just think their success in the WWE has altered the list a bit.

The one name I'm surprised not to see is Ric Flair. The biggest territorial star and NWA mainstay. His name and accomplishments before his first WWE run is larger than anyone else's on that list. Flair and Hogan during that time were the two biggest stars in professional wrestling. That would be the only questionable part I would have with that list.

So the WWE promotional machine is pushing Chris Jericho. I'm not surprised. He just did make a big return, and unlike some of his previous runs that were a tad bit weak for a superstar of his caliber I guess WWE really does want to get the most out of Chris this time around to compensate for the many injuries.

I tend to take most WWE lists like these with a grain of salt though. Especially if we factor in monetary values. Mark Henry is not on the list, and at the time of his signing in 1996 he had the highest paying contract of any acquisition the WWE had ever made up to that point.

All of these lists are usually subjective depending on who is making them. Powerslam was notorious for putting wrestlers in what some would appear to be the wrong order, or omitting them completely.

That being said though, every name on that list deserves to be there. But again it all depends on who is viewing it as to which wrestlers would go where. Ask ten different fans, get ten different opinions.

On that list i think ill go with BILL GOLDBERG being how red hot he was at that time..
Signing Kurt was also big but he established to a higher level after joining with WWE..

P.S- Their biggest signing is yet to come- AJ STYLES..

Wow, no Punk or Bryan. And they were both pretty big signings at the time. When Bryan was on NXT(he was hipster and was there before it was cool) Miz even mentioned it and they used it as storyline how he was big in Indy's but that means nothing in WWE.

Surprised Bryan wasn't on the list, i thought he would have made it over Finn Balor. Bryan was the top guy in the indy's for year's, but it's no surprise Punk isn't listed. All those guys were bigger signings than him.

I would equate "biggest signings" meaning Wrestlers that were signed that made a big splash in the Wrestling world. While lists are subjective there's no objective way you can take the list seriously the way it was made.

I assume signing also means re-signing with the company after leaving as long they made a big splash. With that leaving out Hogan and Benoit from the list is real odd considering the impact Hogan made in the 80's and how Benoit jumping to the WWF was perhaps the final coffin in WCW.

Here is my list

1. Hulk Hogan - Left the AWA to return to the WWF and became Champion and "the guy" not to long after.

2. The Big Show - First big name star from WCW to jump to the WWF

3. Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Perry Saturn, and Dean Malenko - Same as #2 but instead of being the first this is perhaps the last big jump and pretty much killed WCW

4. Ric Flair - Enough said

5. NWO - Hulk Hogan, Kevin Nash, and Scott Hall - Come on this was huge and people were drooling of the possibilities of dream matches left and right.

6. Chris Jericho - Huge moment in the countdown and also sent shockwaves further solidifying how WCW is starting to crumble

7. Brock Lesnar (Resigning) - His 2012 return to the WWE. Considering how much a bigger star he when he returned this was big not just in Wrestling but aspects of the mainstream media

8. Goldberg - This was big, WWF fans were chanting "Goldberg" during the RAW/Nitro simulcast so even WWF fans wanted him.

9. Sting - He only dropped because of the way the announcement was handled but still this was huge considering Sting was the last big name never to make the WWF/WWE jump.

10. Ken Shamrock - A big name in the UFC and he made a huge impact when he joined the WWF.

The #1 signing HAS to be Ric Flair in August of 1991. Flair WAS the NWA/WCW. World Heavyweight Champion. Starrcade. Leader of the Four Horsemen. It was a HUGE coup for Vince McMahon to sign his rival's #1 superstar and franchise (at that time) player. It was the first time in my memory that Vince actually let a Jim Crockett wrestler keep his former personal and name. Vince was notorious for never acknowledging a wrestler's past history whether in another company or even in his own.

2) Lex Luger as the Narcissist. Luger was a main player in NWA/WCW on par with Flair and Sting at the time. He was seen as a heir apparent to Hogan. There was no doubt in anyone's mind he was going to be the man in the WWF soon.

3) Macho Man Randy Savage/Elizabeth. Savage was making a name for himself in the Memphis territories first with this father Angelo Poffo then with the Jarretts and Lawler in the CWA. There was no doubt he was money in the bank along with his valet Elizabeth.

4) Roddy Piper. The ULTIMATE heel. The perfect yin to Hogan's yang. Piper was already a huge star on the West Coast, in the Carolina's, and Georgia as a heel announcer. Piper was perfect at inciting crowds and McMahon needed a top heel to go with his top baby face.

5) X-Pac (after his WCW stint) This was the first major defection of a wrestler from WCW to the WWF. It set the tone. It made it known that wrestler's now viewed the WWF as a viable alternative to WCW. Before that it was a one way street. Now fans were tuned in to see who would jump next. I would put X-Pac's signing ahead of Big Show's strictly for the fact that X-PAc was a former WWF wrestler, prominent member of the NWO and the KLiq

6) The Road Warriors. The face of the tag team division in the NWA/WCW. The most popular tag team of that era. Sure Vince changed their names to Legion of Doom but we all knew them as Hawk and Animal.

7) The Brain Busters Arn and Tully. 2/4 of the Four Horsemen. This marked the end of an era in the Jim Crockett Promotions.

8) Dusty Rhodes.

9) The signings of 1987. Ted DiBiase, Rick Rude, Dingo (Ultimate) Warrior, One Man Gang, Bam Bam Bigelow

10) Sid

6)

I was thinking of X-Pac but then again for what reason aside from the fact he was from WCW. Because by that logic shouldn't Jeff Jarrett be placed on the list as well?

I was thinking of X-Pac but then again for what reason aside from the fact he was from WCW. Because by that logic shouldn't Jeff Jarrett be placed on the list as well?

Xpac was a decent signing for what he was brought in for. He fit in with DX but outside of that after guys like Big Show, Jericho, Benoit and Guerrero came in, Xpac was just another guy. There's nothing really noteworthy about his time in WCW apart from his ladder match with Eddie Guerrero, then he had an awkward program with Ric Flair. Basically for NWO he was a glorified Vincent.

Jarrett's runs in WCW and WWE were by far more impactful and better signings.

Sean Waltman simply for the fact that the NWO was red hot at the time and he was significant member due to his friendship with Hall and Nash. Remember, everyone wanted to see Hall and Nash back in the WWF and this was seen as a significant step. If anything, it brought eyes back to the WWF and RAW. You could argue Jeff Jarrett also but I think X-Pac's was more impact full because 1) a member of the hottest faction at the time 2) His friendship with Hall and Nash.

I'll just put my list out here for others to look up and debate with me.

1) Kurt Angle
2) Sting
3) Kenta (Hideo Itami)
4) Kevin Owens
5) Fregral Devitt (Finn Balor)
6) Kannah (Asuka)
7) Samoe Joe
8) Eddie Guerrero
9) Rey Mysterio
10) Hulk Hogan!!

Come on blokes, how can you ignore the mega signing of Hogan??

Sean Waltman simply for the fact that the NWO was red hot at the time and he was significant member due to his friendship with Hall and Nash. Remember, everyone wanted to see Hall and Nash back in the WWF and this was seen as a significant step. If anything, it brought eyes back to the WWF and RAW. You could argue Jeff Jarrett also but I think X-Pac's was more impact full because 1) a member of the hottest faction at the time 2) His friendship with Hall and Nash.

He came back because he was fired from WCW. Eric Bischoff wanted to set a tone that Hall and Nash wouldn't have the backstage power(obviously a lie) like they had in WWE. His career was much better before and after WCW. The WCW product did not hurt after he left and NWO got even better.

I'll just put my list out here for others to look up and debate with me.

1) Kurt Angle
2) Sting
3) Kenta (Hideo Itami)
4) Kevin Owens
5) Fregral Devitt (Finn Balor)
6) Kannah (Asuka)
7) Samoe Joe
8) Eddie Guerrero
9) Rey Mysterio
10) Hulk Hogan!!

Come on blokes, how can you ignore the mega signing of Hogan??

Are you talking about when Hogan first signed or his early 00's return? If when he first signed - Hogan was unknown then. He had no national exposure yet and I barely remember him during his time down in either GCW or MACW(I think GCW). People in the northwest may remember him because he spent time with Verne Gagne to learn the business more but he was all WWE manufactured.

He came back because he was fired from WCW.

Not disputing that or the reason why he was fired. He could've went back to WCW also.

The fact is his signing was more impact full because

1) He was a significant member of the NWO (the hottest faction and angle at the time) I would argue that, at the time, being a NWO member held greater value than being a WCW wrestler. People were watching WCW because of the NWO.

2) His friendship with Hall and Nash. The three were inseparable. Their buddy being fired and signing with WWF raised questions as to what Hall and Nash would do.

3) The timing of the signing. The night after WM 14. This was seen as a huge turning point in the Monday Night War

4) X-Pac's stock was much higher when he left WCW than when first left WWF as the 1-2-3 Kid.

Pretty good list. I would have ranked Big Show a little bit higher as his signing was the first real shot that WWE took at WCW. Up until that point WCW had been stealing away WWF headliners left and right and The Giant was the first really big name that jumped ship from WCW. The debut moment wasn't that bad either. Big Show coming up through the ring to attack Austin was some really great shit.

We all know Eddie Guerrero SHOULD be The Radicals, moreso Benoit, but I obviously understand his exclusion. Benoit was basically WCW Champion when he signed and jumped into the main event almost instantly. So I'll accept Guerrero knowing that they really mean Benoit.

Lastly, I'd probably put Sting at number 2 and Mysterio at 3, just because it's Sting and WWE. I remember Mysterio's debut and it was nowhere near as impactful as Sting's.

Other than them leaving Ric Flair off the list, I agree with most of the people on here. Balor will probably rank a little higher when his career is all over. Also, Nakamura and Styles will take a couple spots eventually.

Not disputing that or the reason why he was fired. He could've went back to WCW also.

The fact is his signing was more impact full because

1) He was a significant member of the NWO (the hottest faction and angle at the time) I would argue that, at the time, being a NWO member held greater value than being a WCW wrestler. People were watching WCW because of the NWO.

2) His friendship with Hall and Nash. The three were inseparable. Their buddy being fired and signing with WWF raised questions as to what Hall and Nash would do.

3) The timing of the signing. The night after WM 14. This was seen as a huge turning point in the Monday Night War

4) X-Pac's stock was much higher when he left WCW than when first left WWF as the 1-2-3 Kid.

Alright that is a valid point, I will give you that. I agree with most of that. I felt the Wolfpack wasn't the same but felt his NWO presence wasn't missed. The timing considering he's among the first WWE pulled away during that era but it wasn't as much of a dent in comparison to luring The Big Sho. But great point though.

It was a work of art by WWE, the way they booked Kurt as a traditional babyface geek and had him jump on the mic and berate the fans. It took a truly average match up with Sean Stasiak and turned it in to an exciting match - purely because of Kurt's promo to the audience. Excellent debut - one of the most memorable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back