WWE Champion VS World Champion Match

80centricher

Dark Match Jobber
AJ mentioned on RAW last night that a champion vs champion match should have more build up, and I cant help but agree. The World Champion vs WWE Champion shouldn't be an impromptu match-up that happens on either RAW or Smackdown, but rather in a big pay-per-view. The two titles signify that you are the two best wrestlers in the business, and going head to head should determine a "Champion of Champions." A couple of years back, the WWE had a match that had John Cena, the WWE Champion, Big Show, the ECW Champion, and King Booker, the World Champion, face off for with the World Title on the line. The idea wasn't bad, but unifying the titles was out of the question so King Booker was easily the favorite to be booked to win that match, but what if the titles were only unified for one night? A night where the WWE Champion and the World Champion face off to crown a "Champion of Champions," and the belt was returned to its original holder the following day? The winner of the two titles on that night would then be referred to as the Champion of Champions and it would be a brand new title in itself. A belt-less title, but nevertheless, the most prestigious title a wrestler can have. Because it is a special case, this should be like an "Olympic" event and only happen maybe once every 2-4 years in a brand new pay-per-view specifically designed for this match. My questions for you guys are:

What do you guys think of this idea?

Would you enjoy a Champion vs Champion match? If so, how would you book it?

Title Unification is like a dream for me.

I say let Daniel Bryan win the WHC and have a Punk vs Bryan Ironman match at WM29 to unify the belts.

But of course that's not going to happen because we all know that The Rock will win the WWE championship at the Royal Rumble and go on to face Cena at WM in a "Getting bored twice in a lifetime" match.

I have thought about that idea many times before and I am sure many mature wrestling fans should have.

I have thought all kinds of matches when two World Champions are going head to head. It can be a Non-Title match, it could be for one of the titles, it could be a two fall match with each fall for each World Title, there can be a ladder match with both the World Titles hanging on the top of the ladder or inside a briefcase, it could be any match with winner taking both the World Titles and last it can be a Unification Match.

You bought a new idea which was having a PPV especially designed for such as idea, which is not bad. They can do several things in such a PPV, WWE World Champion vs WHC Champion, IC Champ vs US Champ, Tag Team Champion vs Tag Team Champion and even a Over the Top Rope or Elimination 6-way match where all the chamoions of the promotion face off to determine the ultimate winner.

This is a fantastic idea and close to such ideas have been used in the past but never so seriously. If we have an entire PPV dedicated to World Champion vs World Champion match, it would easily determine who is the best in the business.

Would you enjoy a Champion vs Champion match? If so, how would you book it?

I can book that match in several different ways.

Like you mentioned having an entire PPV dedicated to it, I will chose one of these names for such the PPV:

Championship King
Champ-Fest
Champion of Champions
King of Champions
Night of Champions (even though it's already being used)
War of the Champions

I will have these matches on my PPV:

WWE Champion vs WHC Champion
IC Champion vs US Champion
Tag Team Champion vs Tag Team Champion

Rest of the card can be a filler with no.1 contendership matches.

For such an important, championship gold match you would probably try to get in your two best in-ring performers who are main-eventers into the match to make it seem realistic and a brilliant match. Cena doesn't need to be in it, he's already the face of the company (it won't help him anyways) and he won't be beaten clean in such important match. They should use this to push someone to huge levels, someone like Bryan?

Simple? WWE Champion CM Punk vs. WHC Champion Daniel Bryan in a 30 Minute Iron Man Match, if there is a tie there will be extra time to have a tie-breaker pin. The winner takes both the World Titles.

Daniel Bryan wins this one to reach on mega star level of Punk, Cena and Orton. The manager puts a heavy task on him for being a 'Double World Champ', to prove himself and asks him to defend both the World Titles on next PPV against two different opponents in two different matches, he does that successfully to further get more over.

He eventually loses one of the World Title on television sometime, but he's pushed to high levels by WWE due to this idea.

I like the fact WWE has 2 Main Titles. Gives people exposure. The people calling for a Unification Match will then cry when their precious Dolph Ziggler gets sent back to mid card because he cant hang with the big fish.

I think it’s a great idea!! My favorite match type is a Champion vs. Champion Unification match.

Would you enjoy a Champion vs. Champion match?
I always enjoy Champion vs. Champion matches. I enjoyed WWE Champion, John Cena vs. World Champion, King Booker vs. ECW Champion, Big Show. I enjoyed WWE Champion, Triple H vs. World Champion, Chris Jericho vs. ECW Champion, Matt Hardy. I also enjoyed TNA World Champion, Kurt Angle vs. TNA X-Division Champion and TNA Tag Team Champion, Samoa Joe. As a matter of fact, I enjoyed Intercontinental Champion, the Miz and United States Champion Antonio Cesaro vs. Unified WWE World Tag Team Champions, Kofi Kingston and R-Truth. The thing is, when it’s Champion vs. Champion, in my mind, it’s Best vs. Best.

If so, how would you book it?
The way I would book it would be to completely revamp Night Of Champions and change it to a King Of The Ring style tournament where the 6 current male Champions would face off in a one night only Tournament to crown the Champion of Champions. (Yeah, this would have worked out better with another set of Tag Team Champions, but oh well)

Round 1 (WWE Champion and World Champion get a BYE in the first round)
Match 1
Intercontinental Champion vs. one half of the Unified WWE World Tag Team Champion
Match 2
United States Champion vs. one half of the Unified WWE World Tag Team Champion

Round 2
Match 3
WWE Champion vs. the winner of Match 1
Match 4
World Champion vs. the winner of Match 2

Round 3
Match 5
The winner of Match 3 vs. the winner of Match 4

The winner of the Tournament Finals receives this and holds it for the year, until he presents it to the next Champion of Champions at the next Night Of Champions.

ChampionofChampionsbeltSvR2010.jpg

Yeah I'm not really getting the concept at all.

A champion vs. champion match can always be a lot of fun, especially if both champs are portrayed strongly prior to the match. The first match we saw in WWE between Daniel Bryan & CM Punk the night after the Royal Rumble was a champ vs. champ match and is among the top matches shown on television this year in my opinion. I like the idea of having a champ vs. champ match, especially if there's really a reason for having it other than merely showing off how good the champs are. Not that isn't a good enough reason alone to see a good wrestling match, but still.

However, the idea of unifying the titles for a single night only for the winner to relinquish the title of the loser the very next day back to said loser accomplishes absolutely nothing positive. Why would you want to devalue a champion and a championship by having someone win it only to drop willingly relinquish the title the next day? It almost sends a message that the title isn't worth having. We've all seen several times in any number of wrestling companies in which a guy wins a title at a big event only to drop it a day or so later. Almost always, such choices are met with disdain and criticism among internet fans especially.

Exaclty what would be the point? To create a championship that's kinda sorta a championship, but not really, that you win/hold for a single night every 2 to 4 years? Sorry, but it makes no sense whatsoever.

If WWE ever decides to unify the WWE & World Heavyweight Championships, which I think will probably happen somewhere down the line, then it needs to be done in a way that means something rather than some extremely cheap gimmick. Build the match up, have it at a WrestleMania and make it a classic wrestling moment.

If WWE ever decides to unify the WWE & World Heavyweight Championships, which I think will probably happen somewhere down the line, then it needs to be done in a way that means something rather than some extremely cheap gimmick. Build the match up, have it at a WrestleMania and make it a classic wrestling moment.

Does WrestleMania need a unification match to sell it?

If the WWE ever unify the two belts (and I hope to god they do soon) I would do it at the Elimination Chamber. I would have the Royal Rumble Winner as special referee and then the two champs and 4 contenders in the match. The winner becomes the WWE Undisputed World Heavyweight Champion and faces the Royal Rumble winner in the main event (last match) at WM.

To expand further I would have CM Punk beat The Rock at the Royal Rumble, then The Rock and CM Punk be the last 2 guys in the chamber and have Rock win, unify the gold and face Cena, where Cena wins to gain revenge for WM28. It writes itself.....

We have seen champion vs Champion matches in the past and to be honest it is just boring, so if they are going to have a Champion vs Champion match it would have to be to unify both the Wwe and World Championships and only have one main Title for the Wwe.

I think the Two superstars to have this type of Match should be The Rock vs Triple H at WrestleMania with Triple H coming out on top and finally being able to end his career on a high as the True King of Kings.

Unify the damn things.

Jesus. It's not rocket science. Two world championships doesn't make any sense. And everyone knows the WWE title is miles above the WHC title. The WHC title is being booked as a stepping stone to the WWE title. It's being booked the same way the IC title USED to be booked.

You can still run two separate house show schedules. They ran 4 different house show rosters back in the late 80s/early 90s. Sure, business was different then... but here are your options:

1. Run one schedule, because you're not hot enough to sell two
2. Run two schedules, with the IC title headlining the B shows, that's why you have a secondary belt

By having two world titles, both get cheapened. And the two secondary titles below the two world titles become basically meaningless.

One world title
One secondary title
One tag team title

That's all you need.

When WWE first announced Bragging Rights ppv and had Ic champ vs us champ, I thought we would of also had wwe champ vs WHC.

We could of had:

BR 09- John Cena vs Undertaker

BR 10- Randy Orton vs Kane

If they kept BR ppv then year could of been: John Cena Vs Mark Henry

And this year would of been:

CM Punk vs Sheamus

I love idea of champion vs champion and it would of made the whole idea of "Bragging Rights" so much better.

Think about, this year when Cena is injured and they rushed ryback into HITC , HITC ppv could of been last month and punk retain against Cena and still claim "wanting respect" and who better then facing WHC Sheamus at BR and win. Then next ppv, Survivor Series would mark 1 year anniversary of him winning WWE title.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back