WWE Battleground: Chris Jericho VS Bray Wyatt

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
According to WWE.com, Jericho vs. Wyatt has been officially added to the card for Battleground. Prior to the ending of Jericho's match with Miz this past Monday, I thought they may go in the direction of having Jericho vs. Miz at Battleground, due to Wyatt Family interference in their match on Raw, and save his match for Wyatt for SummerSlam. This suggests that they're going to have a series of matches between the two.

I could see Miz causing some interference here or at least attempting to do so. If they'd decided to wait until SummerSlam and have this be the only match of their program, I'd see Wyatt picking up the win but I'm not sure now. I could see Miz trying to interfere and accidentally cause Wyatt to lose the match, only for Wyatt to get medieval on Miz after the match. I could also see interference causing Jericho the bout. Then again, it's not out of the realm of possibility that the match ends with a clean win for either one. Ultimately, I'm leaning toward Jericho to score the win at Battleground.

Since WWE reportedly wants to build SummerSlam & Night of Champions up to be huge events as a means of enticing renewed/new subscriptions to the WWE Network, I'm guessing their 2nd & 3rd bouts will consist of some sort of gimmicks. Since SummerSlam is the bigger show, I see Wyatt coming out the winner, prompting the rubber match at NOC.

This suggests that they're going to have a series of matches between the two.

Yes, that's the way they're doing things at the main event level these days. I was surprised when Bray met John Cena three times in a row, although I shouldn't have been. Presuming a 6-month run for Jericho with the company this time around, I wouldn't be shocked if he spent the first half of it feuding with Bray.

Then again, it's not out of the realm of possibility that the match ends with a clean win for either one. Ultimately, I'm leaning toward Jericho to score the win at Battleground.

So much depends on how they plan to book Jericho this time around. If they want to use him as a glorified enhancement talent, they'll give him a few wins over talent like the Miz.....which they just did....and have him look formidable against the folks they want to push to the top (Bray), even as Y2J loses two out of their three matches. There's surely no sense in Jericho being swept in the trilogy; not if they want to keep his rep high.

I can't decide about Miz interfering the first match. As stated, Jericho went cleanly over him last Monday, so it's hard to say how WWE means to use Miz. If he's to be pushed, it would be useful for Miz to cost Jericho his first match against Bray. If Miz is to be just a mid-card nobody, his "war" against Chris Jericho might already be over.

As was predicted all along. Jericho is here for what three months or so? Jericho goes over at battleground setting up the real match, with some sort of gimmick, at summerslam and the rubber match at NOC.

The two ppvs after battleground, will be epic. Epic because the WWE is going to want people to resubscribe to the network. I don't quite see the miz getting involved, he really to me is a non-factor. Unless of course Jericho is there to try to make miz relevant again.

I think there is an interesting dynamic that can be investigated with this... I can actually see Miz and Jericho teaming against the Wyatts and with Ric Flair due back next week (yes it's probably about the WCW mode in the game...)

To beat the Wyatt's there might be a way... Bray beats Jericho now fine... but Jericho is angry... and Flair comes back saying there was one group that could have beaten the Wyatts... The Horsemen and Flair is willing to put together the best Horsemen ever...blah

Jericho is the "Flair" of this group, the point man... Miz & Ziggler as the tag team to face the Wyatts (or out of left field Goldust and Stardust as they are still "Rhodes'" and Flair knows their worth) and in the "enforcer role" Batista or maybe Big Show. Flair of course is the JJ Dillon of the equation...

This group of course culminates at Summerslam or NOC to get the subs up and the other 3 can cover Jericho till Survivor Series.

When Jericho vs. Miz started on Raw this week, I immediately thought one of two things would happen: either Jericho would go over in a quick squash (less than three minutes), or The Wyatts would interfere sooner than they did (at least before there was a clean finish). I'm glad that neither happened, because Jericho was able to make Miz seem relevant (at least in the ring) - even though Jericho ultimately went over. Since there was a clean finish for Miz vs. Jericho, I'd imagine that WWE creative probably considers their feud to be over. If that is the case, it seems a bit silly (or at least somewhat illogical) for The Miz to forget about Jericho spoiling his "big return" on Raw last week. I don't know why they involved Miz at all, if that's the case - unless Miz was just used as a ruse for the "big return" (when it was Jericho that was the bigger deal). Before Jericho interrupted, The Miz was talking about how he would "prove everyone wrong"; regarding him not deserving his previous headlining WM match with Cena (or something to that effect). It seems that if Miz really did want to prove everyone wrong (kayfabe, of course), he'd want to get his revenge on Jericho. Then again, other storylines have been dropped in the past with less resolution than this (Miz tapping to Jericho on Raw this week).

It's possible that The Miz might move on to feud with Sheamus for the US Title, or move into the IC title picture if his miniscule program with Jericho is over. In fact, now knowing that Sheamus won't be working with Bray this summer (as was previously rumored), a US Title feud for Sheamus & Miz seems probable. I'm not sure if/how they'll involve Miz for the rest of the Jericho/Wyatt story, however. Miz could interfere during the Bray/Jericho match at BattleGround, forcing a DQ. I suppose it's possible that could lead to a triple-threat match at SummerSlam (Bray vs. Jericho vs. Miz), although I think it's more likely we'll see Jericho/Bray II at SS (regardless of the outcome/interference). I honestly doubt Miz will be involved in the Jericho/Bray feud from here on out.

I think most of us can see that Bray will be wrestling Jericho at SummerSlam as well, and I don't think there are many that think Jericho will come out on top in their series of matches. If there ends up being a third match, I'm a bit skeptical that the "final showdown" will happen at Night of Champions. It could, but I feel it's a little more likely that a third match would happen on Raw (since the first two will happen on PPV).

A cage match seems likely for Jericho vs. Bray at SummerSlam, or at least some sort of gimmick match. I'd imagine they'll use the Cena/Bray template for another series of matches with Jericho (like the OP said). If that's the case, it means that there will be a cage, or possibly a no DQ match between the two at SS. I've said this in another thread, but it's possible they give Bray his own signature match this year; ie: "The Bayou Brawl", or the "Swamp Scrimmage" (that one's my favorite! lol). Basically a no DQ match with weapons, possibly with a southern "backwoods" flavor. Then again, I've heard that Bray is given a lot of freedom (creative control?) when it comes to his character and/or promos, so if a signature match is proposed the title probably won't be nearly as lame as the two I suggested.

Whatever happens, I foresee Bray winning at BattleGround. It was Bray who initiated the first attack on Jericho, so if Bray wins their BattleGround match we would see more of Jericho on the offensive leading up to SummerSlam (if the feud continues, which it probably will). I don't think we'll see much of Jericho after his feud with Bray ends, since his schedule is always so busy. I said this in another thread as well, but it would be great to see Jericho feud with either Sandow or Tyson Kidd before he leaves. I doubt we'll see it, but it would be nice. I wish Jericho would stick around (at least on a part-time schedule, à la RVD) until Wrestlemania XXXI, but again - I think he'll be gone again before Night of Champions. Then again, I don't own a crystal ball.

On one hand, Bray doesn't need another loss. He came out on the losing end of a feud with Cena and he lost the MITB match. Bray is more character driven with his eccentric antics in the ring, and his mesmerizing promos, but at some point, he needs a big win (with all the hoopla surrounding the match, Extreme Rules is a questionable pick), or Bray and The Wyatt Family will lose momentum.

On the other side, Jericho is the go-to-guy for using a big name star to put others over, but the thought of Jericho losing his first pay per view match after another break feels deflating, because a win over The Miz is nothing to brag about. And let's not forget, the most recent memories of Jericho include losing to Fandango at Wrestlemania 29 and a mediocre feud with Ryback. Jericho can still go, and his name has value, but every now and then, Jericho needs a significant win to remind everyone he's a future Hall Of Famer.

I'll go with Jericho for a win here in a competitive match. After Battleground, Bray goads Jericho into a rematch for Summerslam, where Bray picks up the win. Bray picks up a more high profiled win on a bigger stage, because Battleground is still newish B show.

Like The Shape said, Jericho coming back and losing right off the bat is not a good thing. He needs to pick up the win here, and Bray go over at Summerslam. IN a competitive match that makes both look good Jericho wins and the feud gets even more personal going into Summerslam.

Terrible feud for Wyatt. Defeating Jericho doesn't mean a thing. He could've just as easily faced RVD. Jericho is also another guy like Cena who won't share the spotlight with Wyatt, which is surely the intention at this point.

Seems like neither guy can afford to lose this one - Bray just lost his last two PPV matches and can't lose anymore momentum, but Jericho has just returned and can't lose his first PPV match back for reasons mentioned above by Mitch and Sally. I say they should go to a No Contest in this one. Let them beat the hell out of each other to the point that the referee can no longer control them. Nobody wins but both guys come out looking strong and like equals. Bray can win the next two PPV matches and Jericho can always get a pin on Wyatt in a tag team match on Raw.

Seems like neither guy can afford to lose this one - Bray just lost his last two PPV matches and can't lose anymore momentum, but Jericho has just returned and can't lose his first PPV match back for reasons mentioned above by Mitch and Sally. I say they should go to a No Contest in this one. Let them beat the hell out of each other to the point that the referee can no longer control them. Nobody wins but both guys come out looking strong and like equals. Bray can win the next two PPV matches and Jericho can always get a pin on Wyatt in a tag team match on Raw.

I'd say give Jericho the win, to establish credibility for him. Jericho already loses a lot which hurts him to see him as a threat.

They could have him win like a funny finish like he wins when he counters Sister Abigail into a pinning move which leads to another match between the two.

I don't like this feud very much, even though I like both performers. Bray has dominated all of their televised confrontations, so I actually presume Jericho will win during their first PPV bout- although Bray will certainly win the war in the long run. If Jericho loses at Battleground, then the booking for this feud sucks. If Jericho loses the battle, but wins the war, then Bray's credibility is diminished.

But above everything, this feud makes no sense. Bray keeps saying how Jericho promised to 'save us' and I'm like thinking...huh? When has Jericho ever been that kind of guy? Those rants made sense against John Cena, because Cena is the classic good guy. Jericho has always been a Diva wrestler (not to be confused with the actual Diva Wrestlers), whether he's face or heel. The character of Chris Jericho is only concerned with the character of Chris Jericho, whether he's being nice to the fans or not. So Bray's motives don't work.

Nevertheless, I have to admit that Y2J's return and suddenly being attacked by the Wyatt's was a damn good set-up. I just don't think the writers thought it through.

But above everything, this feud makes no sense. Bray keeps saying how Jericho promised to 'save us' and I'm like thinking...huh? When has Jericho ever been that kind of guy?

... Have you not seen Jericho's titantron (SAVE_US_Y2J)? And that it was exactly what he said during the time that Y2K was supposed to happen, hence where Y2J came from in the first place?

Admittedly I did not notice the Titantron bit, but "Save Us Y2J" sounds more like a request than a promise. As for his debut, do you really think Bray is seriously referencing a bit from...15 years ago? Not many people are bound to get that, especially as the WWE does not have a long term memory.

Also, I wasn't watching wrestling during Jericho's previous return, so if I missed anything there then I guess that's on me.

Also, I wasn't watching wrestling during Jericho's previous return, so if I missed anything there then I guess that's on me.

Yeah, it seems likely that it's referencing the time that Jericho said he'd "save" the WWE fans from wrestlers like Randy Orton.

Ah, got it. I think it would've been better if Jericho said something like that during his return promo, so this feud wouldn't be based around something said in the past. But at least now I know the context.

I don't like this feud very much, even though I like both performers. Bray has dominated all of their televised confrontations, so I actually presume Jericho will win during their first PPV bout- although Bray will certainly win the war in the long run. If Jericho loses at Battleground, then the booking for this feud sucks. If Jericho loses the battle, but wins the war, then Bray's credibility is diminished.

But above everything, this feud makes no sense. Bray keeps saying how Jericho promised to 'save us' and I'm like thinking...huh? When has Jericho ever been that kind of guy? Those rants made sense against John Cena, because Cena is the classic good guy. Jericho has always been a Diva wrestler (not to be confused with the actual Diva Wrestlers), whether he's face or heel. The character of Chris Jericho is only concerned with the character of Chris Jericho, whether he's being nice to the fans or not. So Bray's motives don't work.

Nevertheless, I have to admit that Y2J's return and suddenly being attacked by the Wyatt's was a damn good set-up. I just don't think the writers thought it through.

"Save Us" was a big part of Jericho's 2007 return. It was the main phrase in all of those cryptic promos hinting at his return in the fall of 2007. When he came back he immediately was in the title feud with Orton and was "saving us" from the "Age of Orton".

When Jericho went heel in 2008, I believe he changed the phrase to "save me" and even had it on his tights quite a few times.

It is odd for Bray to be referencing something from 2007-08, here.

20140715_Battleground_JerichoWyatt_LIGHT_HP.jpg

Alright, now this one I have rather high expectations for. Bray needed something huge after the feud with Cena in order to remain relevant and keep his momentum going. A feud with Jericho was the right move. Someone as legendary and popular as Jericho will not be damaged at all by a loss here. I'm certain that he will make Wyatt look amazing in the process, they could very well end up stealing the show here. I highly doubt that it will be the end of the feud, things are only just getting started. It probably goes in the middle of the show. Bray pretty much has to do win. Jericho winning won't accomplish much of anything and if Wyatt adds defeating a legend to his list of bragging rights, it will be of great benefit to him. That being said.... I'm looking forward to this match and the likely rematch at Summerslam.

DAGGER'S PREDICTION
Bray Wyatt will defeat Chris Jericho.

This feud was an unfortunate one to bring Jericho back on. While their back and forths have been great, WWE is in dire need of marketable faces like Jericho, but I can't imagine them sucking that kind of heat away from Wyatt by having him lose another PPV match. Jericho, on the other hand, is quickly becoming the new Mick Foley in that his sole purpose seems to be to show up every now and then with new ways to help put the heels over.

Admittedly I did not notice the Titantron bit, but "Save Us Y2J" sounds more like a request than a promise. As for his debut, do you really think Bray is seriously referencing a bit from...15 years ago? Not many people are bound to get that, especially as the WWE does not have a long term memory.

"Save us" is from the end of 2007. And all of 2008. You clearly have little to no idea what you are talking about.

Anyways, it would make no sense for Jericho to win anything in this feud, and I dont think anyone expects him to. Has a chance to be pretty good, as Wyatt works well with guys this size.

I didn't watch the Jericho vs Wyatt match; it might have been really good... how far was that ahead from the main event or the opening match (if at all)? But of course, majority of the internet fans will pour their hearts out praising that match (like all matches featuring Ziggler and Barrett)... why? Because it has Jericho in it, of course!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back