Wrestling Rules?

bulldog76

Pre-Show Stalwart
I just read a commentary from Lance Storm's web-site. He talks about different rules (seven) that he would like to see the industry go by. Some of them, I 100% agree, but then, some of them I'm not so locked on.

Here is the article:

http://www.stormwrestling.com/050109.html

I am curious as to what you think. Should the industry have some rules to abide by or should they just "go with the flow?"

I'll post my thoughts later.

I pretty much agree with everything he said. Especially the part about the World Title meaning EVERYTHING, and bringing back Managers & Valet.

Think how much better someone like Shelton Benjamin would be with a manager or valet. Brock Lesnar didn't have great mic skills, so they paired him up with Heyman, and it was awesome. People wanted whomever Brock was facing to get their hands on Pauly, but they couldn't because he had this monster.

Imagine if Shelton had his own Dawn Marie??? Working with a valet was a big boost to Lance because he wasn't great on the stick. They played of each other and it was great.

Manager don't have to be paired up with guys who have trouble on the mic, too. IMO, Bobby Heenan's best promos were with guys like Perfect and Rude. Guys who were amazing on the mic, and could jump right in during anytime and kill it!!!

Managers are something sorely missed in today's wrestling world. Imagine if someone who is gold on the stick but having trouble in the ring were combined with someone the direct opposite? Santino Marella would be a PERFECT fit for a manager. Umaga is no longer as exciting without Armando Estrada by his side. Could a paring of Santino managing Umaga work?

William Regal would make an excellent manager. Imagine William Regal helping DH Smith get over...it's a pair that can be easily accepted by the fans (Regal helping out fellow Brit's son).

Having eye candy never hurts either. Some of Test's best WWE pushes were with Stacy Keibler by his side (Testicles!!) There's plenty of eye candy that can't wrestle (Maria, Eve Torres, Layla)...lets get them on the arms of some wrestlers! Combining Kelly Kelly with The Brian Kendrick could really get this guy over! The Hurricane and Rosey got over with Stacy (maybe the WWE should just pay Stacy Keibler some good $$$...)

Lance Storm also hits the nail right on the head with two points: make the World Title the main focus, and have the Champion win. This is what got CM Punk in so much trouble during his title reign. How could he be bought as Champ when everyone is beating him in non-title matches? Can we really buy this guy as the best in the world when he's constantly losing?

Another point by Storm: too many gimmick matches! It seems like many are done on TNA to simply gain ratings (the example Storm gave of the Taylor Wilde/SoJo Ladder Match was right on the money). Another example was the 6-Man Tag Team WWE Championship Match at Backlash. While ultimately it was done to get Priceless in the spotlight, there were much better ways for this.

The lack of Managers is one of the key complaints I see from a lot of older fans, and I am probably one of the biggest proponents of managers out there.

But Vince will not give in, and I do not understand why.

Plus, I would also like to know when the concept that managers were only supposed to be assigned to "guys who had trouble getting over on the stick?" Since when? Certainly, not when I started watching wrestling. When I began watching wrestling in 1990, guys who were great on the mic on their own, STILL HAD MANAGERS.

Mr. Perfect had Bobby Heenan
Rick Rude had Bobby Heenan
Ric Flair had Mr. Perfect and Bobby Heenan (occasionally)
Honky Tonk Man had Jimmy Hart
Randy Savage had Sensational Sherri
Ted Dibiase later had Sensational Sherri

Why is it that today's fans view having a manager as a "bad thing"? Do you do it because that is what Vince McMahon wants you to think?

Having a manager needs to be viewed as part of the entertainment package ... NOT as a tool only given to guys who can't talk. Back in the 80's and 90's, I dare say that 80% of the heels had managers. And they had managers because of the antics of the managers at ringside, that allow for a lot more possibilities of match finishes, interference in matches, and the possibility of the manager taking a beating after it was over. Managers had the ability to draw fans into the action even more. They were also a useful tool for when the action became boring to the crowd, the manager could be used to fire up the crowd.

They added to angles tremendously. And they helped enhance the promos even more.

Yet something happened at one point. Managers stopped being called Managers. All of a sudden, we had "Girlfriends", "Stylists", "Agents", "Advisors", "Interpretors" ... and basically everything but "managers". Vince doesn't even want the term used anymore, apparently. Tony Atlas isn't even referred to as being a manager.

And today, Vince views managers as a distraction at ringside. People that take away from the action in the ring. I don't know about anyone else, but I have no difficulty in multi-tasking .... and can focus my attention just fine on the action in the rings, as well as outside of the ring.

I am just baffelled as to why so many of today's fans feel that managers should only go to those who have trouble speaking, and view managers as a "bad thing" for the wrestling product. Quite frankly, the removal of them has taken the entertainment out of the wrestling product quite a bit.

Maybe today's Internet fans who enjoy the current WWE product, want the North American wrestling fans to ultimately become like a Japanese wrestling audience ... who simply sit in the arenas in utter silence while the match is going on while just observing the action ... occasionally giving polite applause.

Before there was Santina, there was....Santino.

And in my opinion Santino, was the 'manager/valet' of Beth Pheonix which I really liked. it was a complete role reversal on the valet situation (normally a woman accompanies the man).

You don't see valets OR managers anymore, and thats a shame. Perfect example, as mentioned above, Shelton Benjamin. Amazing talent, but he can only be 'entertaining' in the ring, and with so many people on the roster, and such a limited time for a match, its hard to shine. But give the man a mouth peice and then his 'entertaining' can be done in the ring, and backstage.

I am in complete agreement with Lance and his commentary.

In my opinion, Lance just unleashed the key to what made the Attitude Era what it was. Is it me or if I do a flash-back on what wrestling was like, most of these occurrences come to mind? The World Title meant everything, the product was simple, the promos were unscripted and wrestlers and creative actually communicated and trusted one another, managers and valets were "rampant," but with purpose, and the product was edgy and straight on so that the company looked amazing in the process of its delivery.

Am I alone in that quick analysis or what? I know a lot of people complain about how we were spoiled and how today's product is different. Here's your answer, WWE -- follow these rules.

It's still possible to produce the PG Rated entertainment-focused product they desire following these rules. If anything, they would aid in providing more entertainment.

Why isn't Storm working for the business as a consultant or something?

Why isn't Storm working for the business as a consultant or something?

Lance Storm would probably go insane working under Vince McMahon...constant yelling and screaming and being undercut for every good idea. How many commentators has Vince lost for this reason? Tazz, Mick Foley, who's next to get fed up and walk away from the booth? Lance may be a good fit for a backstage role at TNA...but he seems happy to run Storm Wrestling Academy. More power to him, he could walk away from the ring and spotlight on his terms and find something in life to make him happy.

I agree with bringing back managers as I think that would be a great use for all the old time WWE wrestlers as it gets them on TV and would get new wrestlers over. I for one would love to see Arn Anderson leading Shelton Benjamin to the ring each week and they can play off their Minnesota Connection. Managers have become the lost art of wrestling along with Tag team wrestling. I mean its a shame to say that the last great manager in wrestling was Paul Heyman and he was known as a Agent.

Another thing is keeping the championship on the champion is so true. I for one hate Edge because he has won the title 9 times in four years I think. That really makes the title look weak and Edge look weak as it stress that Edge can't win the title without sneaky factors and he can't hold on to the belt either. Its was fun the first three times Edge did it, but it has made the WWE and World titles look weak. That is one reason why I like John Cena year long title run, because if he had lost to Orton, it would have put Orton over huge as heel champion instead of making the belt look bad by switching hands two times in one night. So two things wrestling need, Managers and Long Term Champions.

it's amazing how obvious these rules may seem yet are not followed. They pretty much describe how its been done for years and what works, yet they've all been broken. I don't know if I'm personally less interested in wrestling as i've gotten older or if it's gone downhill in general, my guess is the latter. I agree that championships should mean everything. While I love a great bball or football game at the end of the day what matters is who is going to the championship and who is the best. These days it doesn't matter bc the title changes all the time, while having HHH be champion for a long period would drive me nuts, at least when he does lose it'll be that much greater. And the lack of managers is what is hurting the in ring product bc a lot of great wrestlers aren't used since they can't speak. Managers and valets help build the match and help it progress. Another thing i really agree with is the use of 3 ways...they are just too often. If they were elimination that would be fine, but the way they are now is a joke and hurts the match. I'm all for a gimmick match once in a while, but they are too often and with too many people. Title matches should be 1 on 1 because they should be a battle of the 2 best at the time. The attitude era helped make wrestling huge but it also set an unsustainable standard that wrestling will probably never see again...

And today, Vince views managers as a distraction at ringside. People that take away from the action in the ring. I don't know about anyone else, but I have no difficulty in multi-tasking .... and can focus my attention just fine on the action in the rings, as well as outside of the ring.

First off, I was with everyone else in asking "why?" This made me think of a pretty logical reason. Good managers know when to act. You can't stick just anyone out there and call them a manager otherwise they do take away from the match. There is a time to be seen, a time to be heard and a time to let the guys in the ring earn their pay. Some may not get it. The manager's job is to get their talent over, not themselves. The only reason some of them like Heenan became legends for being managers is because they were daing good at what they did; getting their talent over. When the match was on, he was not the focus; just an X-factor. We are capable of focusing on the ring, but there are those who are trying to hard to do their job. That is the only thing that I could think of that even comes close to making a lick of sense.

Secondly, I am a jerk about the title. To me the "Night of Champions" PPV is crap. Every PPV should be a night of champions. Why would anyone fight for a belt if it doesn't lead to more prestige, more PPV's and more money? Where is the prestige if a title doesn't lead to PPV appearances and defenses? That is any title. If the person with the title can't do their part on a PPV, then the wrong person has the belt. That is just me.

There is a couple of things I am not so absolute on.

The first is World title only in one-on-one. I fully understand where he is coming from but IF you can get the right guys in the match, triple threats and elimination chambers can be great and draw huge. I say if you get the right guys because we can take WM20's Benoit, HBK, HHH match-up that was great and still have Edge, Cena, Big Show which... no. The first EC match was awesome. The second (Goldberg/Nash/Jericho/Orton/HHH/HBK) was not.

Im not as locked on long reigns but do think frequent switches should be kept to a minimal. The switches between Rock and Mankind were good. But that is a rarity. So it does work but for the most part, give the champion some time to establish something.

The other thing (I don't necessarily disagree with but am not so locked onto) is letting people do their own promos. You have to maintain organization on a show to allow for the show to carry as planned (getting the people on you have planned). But I do agree that more promos should be unscripted. But I think this is one of those things only certain wrestlers should be allowed to do. Let it be a priviledge for main-eventers and guys who border on the main-event.

I would like to add one other stipulation to gimmick matches: only certain people are allowed to do them. These can be high risk. This business has enough risks as is. Because of the value (or at least there should be some kind of value) to gimmick matches, this should be another priviledge that talent earns. Keeping this to main-eventers and upper mid-card talent could reduce the amount of them and reinstill novelty value. Notice how there is usually only one Hell In A Cell a year and it involves either Taker or Triple H?

Lance has worked for promotions all around the world and has seen the good, the bad and ugly so his opinion trumps mine. But I do wish that writing would be more be more bound to eliminate some of the absurdity. It is a TV show yes. And the title is a prop yes. But it is a TV show based on a sport and that "prop" is the sign of the best your company has.

First off, I was with everyone else in asking "why?" This made me think of a pretty logical reason. Good managers know when to act. You can't stick just anyone out there and call them a manager otherwise they do take away from the match. There is a time to be seen, a time to be heard and a time to let the guys in the ring earn their pay. Some may not get it. The manager's job is to get their talent over, not themselves. The only reason some of them like Heenan became legends for being managers is because they were daing good at what they did; getting their talent over. When the match was on, he was not the focus; just an X-factor. We are capable of focusing on the ring, but there are those who are trying to hard to do their job. That is the only thing that I could think of that even comes close to making a lick of sense.

The manager's job is to add to the show to make the product entertaining. The manager's job is to also help sell storylines.

For many fans, it is not all 100% about the wrestling in the ring. It's about the total product, altogether. If there is a segment that takes place at ringside involving a manager, that takes away from some in-ring action, but adds to a storyline ... than so be it. I think we've demonstrated that this Era has by far the most focus on the wrestling as any of the past Eras. The matches are longer. "Distractions" at ringside like the managers, have been eliminated. Storylines and characters have been watered down. And yet this Era still draws the poorest ratings of any Era since the New Generation Era.

Which managers did you specifically have a problem with, and we can discuss this on a case by case basis.

And Heenan was actually the focus of many matches, and arguably was more over than some of the talent he managed. Arn Anderson even made this comment in the Greatest Managers DVD that WWE released.

Now, with that being said, are you going to say that you had a problem with Heenan as a manager?

Again, I'd like to hear you elaborate specifically on which managers you had a problem with, in that you feel took away from the action so much, that we had to do away with them.

The manager's job is to add to the show to make the product entertaining. The manager's job is to also help sell storylines.

For many fans, it is not all 100% about the wrestling in the ring. It's about the total product, altogether. If there is a segment that takes place at ringside involving a manager, that takes away from some in-ring action, but adds to a storyline ... than so be it. I think we've demonstrated that this Era has by far the most focus on the wrestling as any of the past Eras. The matches are longer. "Distractions" at ringside like the managers, have been eliminated. Storylines and characters have been watered down. And yet this Era still draws the poorest ratings of any Era since the New Generation Era.

Which managers did you specifically have a problem with, and we can discuss this on a case by case basis.

And Heenan was actually the focus of many matches, and arguably was more over than some of the talent he managed. Arn Anderson even made this comment in the Greatest Managers DVD that WWE released.

Now, with that being said, are you going to say that you had a problem with Heenan as a manager?

Again, I'd like to hear you elaborate specifically on which managers you had a problem with, in that you feel took away from the action so much, that we had to do away with them.

I was hoping to hear your thoughts.

Anyways, I get what you are saying. I am not saying that is why, just the only thing I can think of that Vince is seeing. Heenan and Sherri were great at getting talent over and after awhile, they just became over because of what they did for previous. People point to Paul Heyman. He added to the story, sold Brock, got involved when the story called for it. I understand and AGREE that the story overrides the wrestling. But when the bell rings, there is a match that needs to take place. I got to see Cornette, Heenan, Akbar, some really good ones.

Stacey Keibler is one that sticks in my mind. Hot, but completely overshadowed who she was with. She didn't add credibility or threat or anything. She was just some chick with Test. Heyman was an X-factor; part of the story. He had expertise and knew how to handle his client in a cut-throat business. This seemed to be a trend with all of the great managers. They let their guy work the match, and added to the story by jumping when the time was right. In any story there is a right time to insert a character.

Triple H had some good matches with Flair in his corner. Flair wasn't the best but was good. I really liked Armondo A. Estrada. He may not have been great, but added some depth to Umaga. When Umaga was in the ring he took care of business. Estrada was there if Umaga started having trouble and to advertise to you "Look at this guy! The Samoan Bulldozer!" Heck, Lita gave Edge a sex element to his Rated R gimmick. Yet Edge built some good rivalries even with Lita at his side.

Heenan did overshadow some of his guys. But let's be honest, when you have an army like Heenan's, not everyone was going to shine. Vince added to Taker's credibility. His story against Austin was him aligning himself with Austin's biggest threat. But Taker and Austin established their own rivalry within the McMahon/Austin rivalry. McMahon/Austin gave birth to something else. Paul Bearer vs Taker gave birth to Mankind/Taker and Kane/Taker. Great managers produced something new. These guys had their own matches with the managers inteceding at moments that kept the story going and giving it an extra element but allowed for the two guys in the ring to build their own story. The story became the two guys in the ring trying to settle some difference (pride, championship, personal issues). Stacey I don't think was ever going to produce anything like that. I guess that is what I mean by taking away from the match. They needed to add to the story being told (yes even within the ring) but by being an element; not the star. The manager may start out being the star, but when the story is finished, the idea (or at least in my view) is that you know who is doing battle in "the fight scene."

I would love to see the WWE make some talent watch the great managers to learn it. But I don't fully understand Vince's reasoning for abandoning the idea; especially with guys like Heyman, Flair and Estrada. That is what I see managers as and I miss those days. I just wonder if it is a lost art.

I was hoping to hear your thoughts.

Anyways, I get what you are saying. I am not saying that is why, just the only thing I can think of that Vince is seeing. Heenan and Sherri were great at getting talent over and after awhile, they just became over because of what they did for previous. People point to Paul Heyman. He added to the story, sold Brock, got involved when the story called for it. I understand and AGREE that the story overrides the wrestling. But when the bell rings, there is a match that needs to take place. I got to see Cornette, Heenan, Akbar, some really good ones.

Stacey Keibler is one that sticks in my mind. Hot, but completely overshadowed who she was with. She didn't add credibility or threat or anything. She was just some chick with Test. Heyman was an X-factor; part of the story. He had expertise and knew how to handle his client in a cut-throat business. This seemed to be a trend with all of the great managers. They let their guy work the match, and added to the story by jumping when the time was right. In any story there is a right time to insert a character.

Triple H had some good matches with Flair in his corner. Flair wasn't the best but was good. I really liked Armondo A. Estrada. He may not have been great, but added some depth to Umaga. When Umaga was in the ring he took care of business. Estrada was there if Umaga started having trouble and to advertise to you "Look at this guy! The Samoan Bulldozer!" Heck, Lita gave Edge a sex element to his Rated R gimmick. Yet Edge built some good rivalries even with Lita at his side.

Heenan did overshadow some of his guys. But let's be honest, when you have an army like Heenan's, not everyone was going to shine. Vince added to Taker's credibility. His story against Austin was him aligning himself with Austin's biggest threat. But Taker and Austin established their own rivalry within the McMahon/Austin rivalry. McMahon/Austin gave birth to something else. Paul Bearer vs Taker gave birth to Mankind/Taker and Kane/Taker. Great managers produced something new. These guys had their own matches with the managers inteceding at moments that kept the story going and giving it an extra element but allowed for the two guys in the ring to build their own story. The story became the two guys in the ring trying to settle some difference (pride, championship, personal issues). Stacey I don't think was ever going to produce anything like that. I guess that is what I mean by taking away from the match. They needed to add to the story being told (yes even within the ring) but by being an element; not the star. The manager may start out being the star, but when the story is finished, the idea (or at least in my view) is that you know who is doing battle in "the fight scene."

I would love to see the WWE make some talent watch the great managers to learn it. But I don't fully understand Vince's reasoning for abandoning the idea; especially with guys like Heyman, Flair and Estrada. That is what I see managers as and I miss those days. I just wonder if it is a lost art.

It was reported that Vince took away Daivari from The Great Khali, because they felt like he "took away from the Great Khali's performance".

To that I reply ??????

If anyone needs a manager, it is The Great Khali. I am glad they did pair him up with Ranjin Singh, but you can tell that they tell today's managers basically "Not to do anything at ringside. Just stand there. Don't interact with the audience. And if ... IF ... you are lucky, then you might be able to interfere in a match once every several months."

The managers were part of the match performance back in the good old days ... even before the Attitude Era. Even though I love the Attitude Era in terms of programming content, this was essentially the Era in which WWE began to eliminate the concept of ringside managers. They replaced all the managers with just female Valets.

Here are some of the managers who I enjoyed, so you can get an idea of what I like in the managers. For the characters on this list, I enjoyed their personalities, thought their frequency of interference was just right, and nor do I think took away from matches in a negative way.

1) Jimmy Hart

2) Bobby Heenan

3) Paul Heyman

4) Slick

5) Ric Flair

6) Mr. Fuji

7) Paul Bearer

8) Clarence Mason -- this one may surprise people, so I'll elaborate. I think the guy had tremendous potential. He was a great talker on the mic when he started out as Cornette's lawyer, and began managing Crush. Had a great angle where he stole Bulldog and Owen Hart away from Jim Cornette by tricking Cornette he was signing papers to press assault and battery charges against Jose Lothario, but in reality stole the WWE Tag Team Champions from Cornette. But they watered him down when they put him in the NOD, and let Faarroq do all the talking, instead. That essentially ruined the guy.

So, you can see by that list, that I like a nice mixture. I like managers who can exhibit personality at ringside, but isn't hollering or screaming or interfering every time you turn around, to the point where it becomes a hindrance, in a bad way.

People who I thought were lousy managers who were obnoxious at ringside, in a bad way ... OR were simply lousy managers ... (in no particular order):

1) Sensational Sherri- waaaay too much interference in the matches.

2) Jim Cornette- yes, you read that name right. Despite the fact he may be regarded as one of the best managers of all time, I did not care for Cornette. Jim Cornette was the definition of someone who overacted. He was faaaar too comical and his facial expressions were ridiculous, because of the over-acting. He was just way too over-the-top and you couldn't take the guy seriously at all. In his interviews, he routinely cut intense promos, that were well-written ... but they became boring hearing them week after week after week.

3) Harvey Wippleman- absolutely terrible at cutting promos. Had horrendously cheap outfits, which made him look like a second-rate manager. Was not creative in anything he did. Used generic soundbites almost every time he spoke.

4) Bill Alfonso- loved the "call it down the middle gimmick" ... but the whistle infuriated the Hell out of me, to the point where I couldn't even concentrate watching the match.

5) Ted Dibiase- definition of someone who over-shadowed his talent. As a matter of fact, his theme music played instead of the theme music of the wrestlers he managed. His promos as a manager were not very good. He couldn't take bumps because he wasn't physically able to. He was just a terribly disappointing manager ... surprisingly bad from someone regarded as one of the best heels in the history of wrestling.

6) Lita- added nothing to the matches whatsoever. She got everyone to chant "****" at her during each match, and that was about it. Only reason she got over was because of something she did in her personal life that was turned incorporated into an angle.

7) Stacy Keibler- I agree was also useless at ringside. She did her spots. But she didn't talk whatsoever. She was just there essentially to stare at.

To your closing comment, I don't think it's a lost art. I think it's just Vince McMahon being cheap and not wanting to pay people to stand at ringside or send them on the road to interfere. So, he's changed the perception of managers so that they should only go to people who "need them". Hell, some guys still need managers on the current roster, but don't have managers.

But what Vince essentially did is removed a key component of the entertainment of the matches.

There was nothing like seeing a good manager interfere in a match, then get the Hell beat out of him after the match was over ... to the delight of the crowd.

I like managers who can exhibit personality at ringside, but isn't hollering or screaming or interfering every time you turn around, to the point where it becomes a hindrance, in a bad way.
I guess that is the best way to say what I was wanting too. You can add to your client and be involved without necessarily taking over.

I think the last manger/valet that I remember doing anything significant was Melina when she worked with MNM. She interfered a lot and did just what a heel manager was supposed to do. She eventually became more over than her team.

It looks like Regal might be doing some kind of managerial thing with Legacy, which would be cool with me. Regal is brutal and I think that he could be great in a guidance capacity to the younger Rhodes and Dibiase.

Or he could just be trying to feud with MVP. We'll see.

I really liked Teddy Long with "The Reflextion of Perfection" Mark Jindrax, when Teddy brought the mirror to the ring to cut the promo. I only remember the two being paired on Velocity, but for some reason I always liked Velocity more than Smackdown and Raw.

I also enjoyed Shelton and his Mama, and also William Regal when he was playing babysitter for Eugene

i totally agree with lance storm on this and he should have a check on his desk right now for that. its really a shame to see alot of this being looked over. i didnt get to see when all these titles emerged so i was always used to the top 4 titles or whatever but i mean its really cheesy when you stretch everything out like that just to have stupid storylines that ultimately mean nothing and do nothing for the quality of the programming. they definitely present a lot of comedy and while i invite laughs alot of it is stupid and doesnt present wrestling for what it really is.

im spot on with managers too, i didnt even realize there werent any anymore. right when i saw Managers i thought Santino should be one, then he says it in the article. he's perfect for it though, i definitely would like to see some managers back in the mix, i totally agree with the wrestlers with no talking abilty and talkers with no wrestling ability putting it together, it really created alot of the best fueds and programming, not sure why they went away from alot of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back