Wrestlers as Role Models

Status
Not open for further replies.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
Watching SuperBrawl II and JR says that Ricky Steamboat is a great role model for young men and young athletes because he gets in the ring and works hard to get better. This made me wonder: can wrestlers be considered as role models?

Now I don't mean from a character or kayfabe perspective. I mean about someone like say Cena. As far as we know, Cena is completely clean and he's the undisputed top guy in the world right now. He has a great work ethic, he's in great shape, and he's very successful. That on paper at least sounds like a good set of things to emulate. However, the stigma of being a wrestler follows it. Since wrestling is more or less considered evil by a lot of families and parents, does that disqualify wrestlers from being considered role models like other athletes are?

What do you think? Can wrestlers be role models for kids, or does the baggage the comes with the job make it impossible?

I always thought CM Punk would be a good role model, he is straight edge in real life and works hard so he could be classed as a good role model, the only thing I believe families would have against him is his large amounts of tattoos, but that shouldn't stop him from being a good role model for your kid. Would you rather have your kid look up to someone who is clean cut with no tattoos but is found out to have a substance problem or the tattood straight-edge guy???

I think this is a no brainier. Of course a wrestler can be a kid's role model, regardless of whether their relatives agree or not. And I would have to question the parents judgment if they honestly think wrestlers are a bad influence, but I digress.

Parents and the media have always viewed wrestling in a negative manner. That doesn't negate how genuine the wrestlers really are, and it doesn't make them any less of a role model. Some workers are great guys, as you pointed out, and I don't see why they can't be a positive influence on a child (or anyone for that matter) just because people view wrestling wrongly and don't understand that wrestlers are great guys.

Wrestlers are role models to kids, and rightfully so. It shouldn't matter if parents are uninformed, the kids can be still be positively influenced by a wrestler. The bad stigma that naturally goes with wrestling needs to expire, because some wrestlers are good guys that can have an astronomical effect on a kid.

Hulk Hogan and Bret Hart were both brilliant role models for kids. Hogan was - for years - the most requested star for the Make a Wish Foundation. He didn't miss a beat. He raised millions for charities. Cena is very similar.

Hart was the same way, though a bit quieter. Classic work ethic guy.

The trouble with pro wrestlers is the kayfabe aspect. When Hogan turned heel in '96, his air of role-model worthiness took a hit. Same with Bret in '97 (though he rebounded) and if Cena ever made the change, which I hope he doesn't.

I guess it's a matter of WHY one would idolize a pro wrestler. If a kid looks at Randy Orton's or John Cena's physique, and it makes him hit the gym and exercise instead of sitting in front of computer games all day, that's a plus. If someone sees Evan Bourne or Kofi flying in the air and it makes them join gymnastics, awesome! If a kid watches CM Punk and it motivates him to avoid drugs, alcohol, and smoking, that's terrific too.

For me, Chris Jericho was a big time idol for me and I have patterned a great deal of my public speaking ability based on what he was able to do. It's been a huge success for me, and I've actually thanked him for that in person.

There are FAR WORSE role models in the world for kids than pro wrestlers. I just hope the wrestlers take that role seriously.

First off, great thread.

Sure a wrestler can be a role model to kids. As IC25 said Hogan was, in the eighties, the most requested guy in the fantastic Make A Wish foundation. I have always criticized Hogan but it is stuff like this that sets foundations for respect. And you could understand, especially with his kayfable character in the eighties, why kids would look up to him. Same with John Cena today. He has a great physique, how is cut clean, he works hard and in his character he doesn't give up. Fake fighting or not this would be some of the examples that I would want my children to take into life.

Like has been said also, if a kid see CM Punk being straight edge then great, if they join a gym, great and so on. Considering the profession that they participate in they earn their money. They work hard. They break their backs so people can be entertained. Hard work and determination.

If I was a father, and my kid wanted to look up to John Cena, minus the fact that I am a wrestling fan, I would still let him look up to him.

Yes, my role model always had been, and always will be Sting. Ever since I started watching wrestling he has always had this aura about him that made him seem like a genuinely nice guy. One who always stands up for what is right. Sure he had his demons, but he overcame them, and became an even better individual because of it. Who wouldn't want their kids to look up to a man who fights against evil, has strong religious convictions, and stands up for what is right?

Yes, wrestlers can be role models, it's all about how you look at it.

What do you think? Can wrestlers be role models for kids, or does the baggage the comes with the job make it impossible?

Absolutely. The kids think wrestlers are cool and look up to them. Sounds like a role model to me. Heck, I'm almost 24 and consider Cena my hero. When I was younger, guys like Bret Hart were heroes to me too. Cena is a great example of a wrestler who is a role model. His never give up attitude is something good that kids can learn from his character. Determination is a great personality quality to have since many people quit too easily when things get hard. Wrestlers can definitely be role models for kids because the wrestler's character is able to make a positive difference in that kid's life through inspiration and thus becoming a hero to them.

CM Punk is the perfect role model in my opinion. Worked his way up from the bottom and straightedge too. Though I agree with you that being a wrestler wont be a benefit for the main media to call him a roll model or maybe even parents, young 'uns will still end up watching wrestling whether their parents agree or not and that means that they will immitate or at least pick up on wrestlers. I think the WWE doesn't have too many people you could call great role models as their faces tend to be bad asses these days, but its possible.

I've got mixed feelings on wrestlers being seen as role models because of the plethora of characters represented by these guys and who people might choose to idolize.....and why.

For every John Cena, there's a Randy Orton. No, I'm not talking about who they really are as people, I'm talking about the personae they display.

Take Cryme Tyme, for instance. In reality, they might be straight-edged, terrific people. But look at the side they show the public; glorification of stealing, bling and taking shortcuts to acquire material wealth. (Makes 'em sound pretty exotic, doesn't it?) But the point is, are the characters they play the type of people you want your kids to have as role models?

Then, there's MVP. I love his character as a face; he has an aura about him that makes me look forward to seeing him in action. But as a role model? Look at his real life......WWE has made no secret that the man who plays MVP has spent a large portion of his life in prison. Who knows what he's really like in person?

Then, you have Eddie Guerrero. The character he played was heroic, mischievous and funny. But would you want his on-air character as a role model? You certainly wouldn't want his real-life persona as one, would you?

Wrestlers as role models? I suppose it depends on whether you're idolizing the character they play.....or who they really are.

And we don't know who they really are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back