• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Wrestler of the Decade

TheGreatSPAMbino

Getting Noticed By Management
The time is nearly upon us, soon this decade will end and a new one shall begin...ok that was really gay but whatever u get the point. Now that the decade is coming to a clsoe who do you think is a frontrunner to be named wrestler of the decade. This is a very big question so take some time to think it out. Heres a few possibilites.

Triple H: This has been the decade of the Game, thats probaably why it was such a lackluster decade but anyways. This guy has been on top in the main event scene for ALL of the last 10 years, quite impressive. The reaosn whys hes on top is not important...he was just on top. Hes been in a lot of big time feuds and matches as well and pretty much carried the WWE along with Cena later on.

Shawn Michaels- a man no one thought they would see wrestle again, made his return in 2002 and has proceeded to put on some of the best matches of the decade and continue to steal the show ever since. He has made a major impact at pretty much every wrestlemania and has had so truly great rivalries.

John Cena- he is THE FACE of the company, and his entrie career so far has occurred in the past decade. He has evolved both as a charcter and a wrestler and in my opinion will go down in history as one of the all time greats whether smarks like it or not.... suck on that one internet. Some may call this the Cena era, so that definately qualifies him as a possible wrestler of the decade.

There are many mroe candidates to discuss but those are just the first two that come to mind. No doubt Edge and a few others will get brought up as well. Im very interested to see where this discussion goes.

There is no doubt whatsoever that from 2000-2010, the wrestler of the decade has been Triple H.

With Flair-like proportions, he's been the man, the mainstay at the top of the main event scene.

Since 2000 began, Helmsley has won 11 World Championships, not to mention a World Tag Team Championship and 3 Intercontinental Championships.

He main evented WrestleMania 16, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 24 and looks like 25 as well. (He wrestled Undertaker at 17, and was injured for 23) All 8 of those WrestleMania main events were for a World Championship as well.

He was the top heel for a huge chunk of time, and is now the top face. He's wrestled every man there is to wrestle, and has beaten them all.

He has probably caused more controversy than any other wrestler in the business over the time period, and continues to get stronger.

Love him or hate him, Triple H was and is the man.

Since were talking about the DECADE, going back to '00, many would agree with me: The Rock, Stone Cold.

Currently, Cena, HBK, Undertaker, and RKO. If were talking about "ultimate" face/heel, then Jericho, HBK, Taker and JBL. Face it, Cena and RKO are tweeners. Why? it's 50/50 crowd reaction. When the Rock/SCSA where face/heel the crowd was one way or another. When the Rock was a heel, you rarely heard cheers, instead you heard: You sold out, or "Rocky Sucks". Same when Austin joined with Vince (great fuckin' moment.).

Right now, I don't hear any cheers for Jericho (whom most of us in the IWC really like). Hell, Vicky could be the "manager" of the century in WWE. She gets more boo's then ANY wrestler of this century. Truely amazing. Then JBL and Jericho. We hate JBL, lets face it, he plays his role perfect, and we all hate him....mission accomplished.

As far as being "more" over....Cena. Sure he is the next Hogan, force feed him, and to extent it works, like Hogan. His second movie is coming out, and by the looks of the trailer, it looks sweet. It would be even more sweet if they made a movie with either Jericho or RKO. All in good time, I guess.

Now, looking at the roster, currently, wrestler for the next century looks alittle blurred. Guarenteed, it wont be HHH, Taker, JBL, HBK....by 2015, the 40+ group will be gone, wrestling wise. Although, I see Cena and RKO (and a few others) dominating the next decade of sports entertainment.

In terms of popularity, Austin and The Rock would be considered the wrestlers of this decade, even though both were active for less than half of it. But, if I were to pick a wrestler that has been active for a majority of this decade, then I would have to go with Kurt Angle, with Shawn Michaels a close second. In my opinion, Angle has only gotten better with the years and, despite his relatively small size, he has proven that he is more than able to hang with the typical McMahon wrestler. Furthermore, whenever he beats someone almost twice his size, it is nonetheless credible (could we say the same thing about Rey Mysterio beating the likes of Kane and Mike Knox?).

Even though he doesn't have as many championships as HHH, he has loads more talent. Thus, I believe he is the true wrestler of this decade.

HHH this was his since wm 2000 when he became the first wwe/f champ to retain the title. everything he said he was gonna do he did flat out. he even bullied the undertaker before their wm fight. he is a 13 time champ in 10 years. while not fan, fuck it he did his thing for the last 10 years. more hic ec's and look at the people he's beaten. i know he's the son-in-law irespective of that the resume is impresive. anyone that says cena is a ******. a decade is 10 years. where was this gump 10 years ago? high school? it's more the rock then cena's it's more takers then cena's gimme a break.

Going to have to go with edge. Since the beginning of the decade Edge has been nothing but great, TLC, TLC 2, and loads of great matches as a tag team wrestler. When he transitioned into singles competitor it took him a bit to catch his stride, but then WHAM! 9 years later he is a 8 time world champion. This only made more amazing by the fact that he won his first world title only 3 years ago. To me he is the top heel in all of wrestling and probably one of the best heels I've ever had the pleasure of watching.

If Austin or the Rock would have made it halfway through the decade then either would be a shoe-in. They didn't....... If I had to pick a second I would say Shawn Michaels. Almost every fued his has been in has been great, his matches are still second to none and he just tells a story so damn well that he can make you forget that wrestling is "fake".

In terms of WWE ... Triple H 100% ! His resume says it all.

But IMO... CM Punk is the wrestler of the decade.. regardless of it being in WWE or in the indies...

# SDW (Steel Domain Wrestling) Northern States Television title defeating ????? ();
# SDW (Steel Domain Wrestling) Northern States Television title defeating ????? ();
# RCW (Revolution Championship Wrestling) Heavyweight title defeating Eric Priest ();
# MAW (Mid American Wrestling) World Heavyweight title defeating ????? ();
# IWA Mid South Light-Heavyweight title defeating Mark Wolf (May 6, 2001);
# IWA Mid South Light-Heavyweight title defeating Tarek the Great (November 3, 2001);
# IWA Mid South Heavyweight title defeating The Suicide Kid (December 5, 2001);
# IWA Mid South Heavyweight title defeating Eddie Guerrero (March 2, 2002);
# IWC (International Wrestling Cartel) Heavyweight title defeating Jimmy Vegas (April 13, 2002);
# IWA Mid South Heavyweight title defeating by winning a Gauntlet (October 26, 2002);
# IWA Mid South Heavyweight title defeating B.J. Whitmer (December 14, 2002);
# ROH (Ring of Honor) Tag Team titles w/Colt Cabana defeating The Briscoe Brothers (April 24, 2004);
# ROH (Ring of Honor) Tag Team titles w/Colt Cabana defeating The Briscoe Brothers (May 15, 2004);
# IWA Mid-South Heavyweight title defeating A.J. Styles (October 23, 2004);
# NWA Cyberspace Tag Team titles w/Julio Dinero defeating The Solution (May 21, 2005);
# ROH (Ring of Honor) World title defeating Austin Aries (June 18, 2005);
# OVW (Ohio Valley Wrestling) Television title defeating Ken Doane (November 9, 2005);
# OVW (Ohio Valley Wrestling) Heavyweight title defeating Brent Albright (May 3, 2006);
# OVW (Ohio Valley Wrestling) Tag Team titles w/Seth Skyfire defeating Shad Gaspard & Neighborhoodie (July 28, 2006);
# ECW (Extreme Championship Wrestling) World title defeating John Morrison (September 4, 2007 - ECW on Sci-Fi);
# (WWE) World Heavyweight title defeating Edge [cashing in Money in the Bank] (June 30, 2008 on RAW);
# (WWE) Tag Team titles w/Kofi Kingston defeating Ted DiBiase Jr. & Cody Rhodes (October 27, 2008);
# WWE (World Wrestling Entertainment) Slammy Award "OH MY GOD Moment of the Year" (December 8, 2008);
# WWE (World Wrestling Entertainment) Intercontinental title defeating William Regal (January 19, 2009);

15 Different titles in 10 years... all around ROH, WWE (OVW), IWA!!

Edge is a good choice, even though they turned him into a transitional champion, but he's still great nonetheless, but it's gotta be Angle...anyone who says HHH is just going by what they think they should say...does nobody else get the fact that he started winning the titles after he got with stephanie?? before that, he was with chyna and he was helping Mick Foley on Raw win the title while in DX lol, he was an I. C. Title holder, that's it, and that's after Shawn passed him the torch lol, he sucks, limited talent/roids/sympathy for injuries

How can people be throwing out names like the Rock and Stone Cold... they didnt even wrestle 3/4 of the decade. Thats just ludicrous to give either of them the nod of being the best wrestler of the entire decade. We're not judging in terms of who was the best person to have wrestled in the decade, but the person who has truly defined the decade with his matches/feuds/main event status throughout the ENTIRE decade.

Knowing this, there's really no other option besides HHH if we're talking in terms of WWE (which we are). Guys like Cena and Batista sort of come close, but really can't even contest HHH's top spot as wrestler of the decade, as his numerous accomplishemts that others have already listed speak for themselves. I would say that the only guy who truly comes close to HHH during this decade would be Edge, aka the most improved superstar of the decade (undoubtedly). Edge had one hell of a decade, and has really risen up to the main event, but HHH was already there from the BEGINNING of the decade, and will still be there at the END. Two possibly career-ending injuries didn't even stop him. He's the Game, the man of the 00's.

Triple H is the wrestler of the decade because unlike The Rock and Stone Cold he has been here from 2000 to the end of the decade. Stone Cold I understand was injured and had to retire, but he also walked out in June of 2002. The Rock don't even get me started he SOLD OUT and disrespected everyone and everything that made him.

The REAL Wrestler of the decade is Triple H

I go with Triple H, too. You can say what you want about his being married to the boss's daughter, but Hunter has been there every step of the way this past decade, doing the work and never giving less than his best.

People argue that he has himself installed as the champion too much, but over the course of the last ten years, there has been plenty of time that he was chasing titles, not holding them. He helped put over guys like Shelton Benjamin and he helped Randy Orton's development, first as a partner in Evolution and then as an opponent.

He keeps himself in great condition. A couple of years ago, it looked as if he was ready to allow his body to soften into middle age. Instead, he used the time off during his last leg injury to get himself in top shape.

Plus, he's the guy the company and the fans know they can depend on. While The Rock and Stone Cold left for other endeavors, Triple H has been there all along and it's great to know he's here..... from Arkansas Hog Pen matches to whatever he does at this year's Wrestlemania.

It's his decade, after all.:)

i would say edge. he has come a long way since his first tlc match at wrestlemania in 2000. i think 2009 and 2010 will be the best performance that he has given us.

Well it's been pointed out numerous times, and there is no way to contest it. Triple H is the wrestler of the decade. Almost constantly in the main event/title picture, being in the world title match at 8 of 10 Wrestlemanias, overcoming two career-threatening injuries, the evolution and dissolution of DX...and then it's reformation with the originals, the McMahon-Helmsley era and actually marrying Steph later which has led to countless arguments, Evolution itself one of the greatest grouping of stardom ever seen, and more world titles in this decade alone than every wrestler in their career save Hogan and Flair...and honestly that's just some highlights, only beginning to scratch the surface. Sure he has never been THE face of the company and gets a lot of bad rep for being in so close with the boss, but Trips has proven that he deserves to be where he is and can carry the company if called upon.

Now aside from that, only two others even come to mind..Edge is the first. He has had an unprecedented 25 title reigns since 2000 began, and he may have 30-35 by the end of 2009. I'm not sure if that's more total title reigns that anyone (in the big promotions) but I'm sure it's pretty damn close. And we have seen him evolve from one of the greatest tag team wrestlers, to a great singles wrestler, to one of the best in the business and a world champion while collecting every title along the way. This is not to mention winning the 2001 KotR and the 2005 MitB ladder match. The only knock on Edge is that he's only been a main eventer since 06, and while he has 25 title reigns altogether (8 of which are world titles), Triple H has 11 world title reigns alone.

Kurt Angle is the other. He deubted in WWE in November 1999, so really his whole career has been this decade. He has 15 total title reigns between WWE and TNA as well as having won the 2000 KotR and the 2007 King of the Mountain match. We saw him rise quickly through the ranks until he was in the main event with the likes of Austin, Rock, Taker, Trips and later Lesnar, Michaels, Cena, Sting, and Jarrett. Angle is widely regarded as probably the best technical wrestler of his time (at least in the top 3) and arguably one of the greatest ever. For my money, he was involved in two of the greatest Wrestlemania matches ever...at WM19 with Lesnar and at WM21 with Michaels. He transitioned from WWE to TNA and carried the company for some time, definitely giving a rise to its fanbase. He has been in the main event for almost as long as Trips and really is the only other one who could think about calling this his decade.

Kurt Angle.

His debut into WWF was in late 1999 and when the millenium rolled around and Kurt took the wrestling world by storm. Moving up through the card putting on tremendous matches with guys like Jericho and Benoit for the IC title before moving on to the top of the card winning the WWF title. He did it all within a year and the best was definitely yet to come.

Classic feuds with Austin in 2001 will not be forgotten along with simply brilliant matches with Chris Benoit, HHH and even Shane o' Mac. 2002 saw great matches with The Undertaker, Rey Mysterio, Edge and many more stars as Kurt Angles character became more intense and less goofy. 2003 saw Kurt Angle and Brock Lesner put on wrestling clinics and a 5 star classic at wrestlemania. Kurt had amazing matches with Eddie Guerrero at Wrestlemania and Summerslam in 2004. Angle and HBK finally locked horns in 2005 at Wrestlemania and put on one of the greatest matches ever.

This is just a very brief look at 5 years of Kurts career. Since then he's achieved legendary status with even more classic matches and is currently carrying a wrestling promotion on his shoulders.

A 5 star wrestler and entertainer even through injury. Kurt Angle is the greatest wrestler of this decade because he broke out in the year 2000 and went on to be put onto the highest pillars of the sport where he stands with men like Bret Hart, Ric Flair, Shawn Michaels, Chris Benoit.

i completely agree with play the game, i mean apart from shawn michaels, taker, flair and maybe hogan NOBODY can touch Triple H as far as accomplishments go, he has done it all and beaten them all in this decade, wrestler from past present and future.... there is nothing HHH hasnt done, he has had some of the greatest rilvaries such as the one with SCSA, The Rock, Shawn Michaels, Taker, Flair, Hogan... you name it
hes been on top since the Mcmahon/Hemsley era started
second to him i would say Shawn Michaels, the Kurt Angle, then Edge

I'd say there's a few options for Wrestler of the Decade.

Triple H: he's been at the top for the entire decade

John Cena: the future of the company, he's been good for a while

Edge: dominated the Tag Team division, then the IC division, then the Heavyweight division. He's completely over with the crowd

Kurt Angle: Has been dominant the entire decade. I don't recall an Angle match where the crowd wasn't interested. He's dominated two companies. He's had great feuds. He's compelling. He's my pick

As much as I don't like him, I have to agree with Triple H. He's done it all over the decade.

I'd like to say Edge as he's one of my favorites, but as someone noted above, Triple H was on top from the beginning of the decade, where Edge's climb to the top had just started in 2000.

HOWEVER, how many points does Triple H lose for banging Chyna in the ass? At least Edge is only kayfabe nailing Vickie (I hope :eek:).

Knowing this, there's really no other option besides HHH if we're talking in terms of WWE (which we are). Guys like Cena and Batista sort of come close

Wow that statement is just stupid. Cena I can live with but Batista? I mean besides the fued with Taker has he really done anything? Yea a few title reigns but this guy truly swallows bucket loads of elephant cum. He has no charisma and his promos make Scott Steiner look like a promo god. The only reason he is over is because Vince wants him over. Seriously though Batista hasn't wrestled all decade either. I wouldn't say he came close, hell Austin and Rock come closer than Batista.

I would say Shawn is a good bet. Yea he hasn't had a title reign in a while but he is money in the bank as far as putting on a great match/storyline. Yeah HHH is a good safe answer but all his accomplishments should have an asterisk by them just like Bonds home run record.

If We're talking exclusively WWE, then it's Triple H, and without question. The guy has been there the entire time, yes the Undertaker has too, but Triple H's title reigns simply are huge in comparison to the Undertaker. Edge could conceivably make a decent run considering how his 2009 goes, but for the most part, Triple H has this think wrapped up.

Now if you're talking overall wrestler of the decade inclduing non WWE exclusives and not just a WWE wrestler of the Decade, then a guy named Kurt is easily in consideration for that.

I think without question, Edge deserves some notice here. John Cena hasn't even been with the company for a whole decade, yet. Shawn Michaels didn't return until late 2002, and Triple H. has missed almost as much, if not more, time than Edge has due to injury.

Edge has accomplished more than any of the other individuals you've listed, since 1999. I'm almost sure of that, minus maybe the difference in World Heavyweight runs between Triple H. and Edge.

Regardless, you look at 1999 and that's truly where Edge's career took off. Much like Triple H., in all honesty. Dispite, one of them, being in the company for the previous 4 yrs.

Edge, along with Christian, helped redefine the Tag Team division into one of the very best there have ever been since the early 90's, late 80's. He, along with partners; Christian, Orton, Mysterio & Hogan, became an 11 time Tag Team Champion.

From that point, he went on to have successful runs as Intercontinental Champion, on 5 different occasions. He "merged" the Intercontinental & United States Championships during the InVasion angle as well.

During his rise to the upper mid-card level, he went on to defeat a former World Heavyweight Champion, in Kurt Angle, to become King of the Ring in 2001.

On top of making T.L.C. and Ladder matches famous, and reinnovative, he also won the first-ever Money in the Bank match, putting it ultimately on the map as something that's become a WrestleMania staple.

And finally, from 2006-present, he's won 8 World Heavyweight Championships collectively. More than anyone else in a 3 yr. period of time. Regardless how long the reigns were, it seems all people care about these days are "how many" he has. And with exception of Triple H., Edge has more reigns as Heavyweight Champion within the W.W.E., than anyone else.

So when you think of who truly deserves the Wrestler of the Decade, why wouldn't the clear cut answer be the Rated R, Ultimate Opportunist, Edge?

for me HHH just doesnt stand out enough..i would call him th most consistent wrestler of the decade. the best? angle or edge. angle always entertains, and has showed diversity as a face and a heel in two different companies, in factions and on his own, in many different storylines and in many different match types. edge is just so damn improved, has great matches with most people and has developed his character excellently, and is one of the few heels who actually gets the crowd to boo him (unlike people like rko)

I think Chris Jericho is being really underlooked here. In the past decade he won the IC title a record setting 8 times, a 3-time tag team champ, 2 time World Heavyweight Champ, has held the Hardcore and European Championships, Not to mention being recognized as the Last WCW World champion and the First Ever Undisputed World Champion in wrestling History. We he is a Face he is always cheered and when he is a heel is one of the most hated men in the world, as show by being the PWI most hated of the year in both 2002 and 2008. No one has been able to evolve their character like Y2J and his in-ring style is one of the most versatile in the business.

I know some people have said Undertaker, but i have a serious problem saying he's the Wrestler of the Decade. In the first few years, he wrestled every week. But in the latter half of this decade, he's been in and out of programs. He only wrestles either as a feud with somebody or as punishment to somebody. And it's not a case where he's hurt non-stop and needs a lesser workload to survive. He just doesn't come every day to work.

Jericho is underlooked. However, he really only spent maybe 2-3 years spread out of the decade as a legit main eventer. He did good stuff, he's entertaining as hell, but if only because he was overlooked by the establishment, i think he's not worth of Wrestler of the Decade.

Imagine if Brock Lesnar hadn't bolted for NFL/UFC/Whatever
this discussion would be O-V-E-R
(for those looking to quote me, he's not the Wrestler of the Decade, i'm just saying "What If")

Good Lord. How can anybody even mention Triple H? The only reason he's gotten where he is is because of the McMahon connection. Plain and simple. He was cool in DX, and I don't despise the goon, but let's face it. If you are married to the daughter of the owner of the business, then you should be disqualified from this discussion anyway! How many times do you read in the fine print of a sweepstakes entry or game piece "game is not open to employees of <insert company name here> or their immediate family members"? Do you know why they have that rule? Because if they didn't, it would be easy as hell for the employees to cheat and win all of the prizes. Hmmmmmm, sort of sounds like Triple H and his title reigns, doesn't it? It sickens me, everybody knows it happens, yet people want to live in denial. Face the truth, people! Damn! I hate idiots who remain in denial even with all of the evidence to the contrary right in front of their faces. But I'm getting off subject. My pick goes with Jericho. Come on, he was the Millenium Man, for Christ's sake! The Ayatollah of Rock and Rollah! Made it Monday Night Jericho (WCW) and Raw is Jericho! He also came off of a stale, mid-card run in WCW that he made great HIMSELF by fighting the NWSlow politics in the company and doing what he knew and had learned would make the crowd respond and did it for the love of the business, not of himself. Then he comes into the WWF/E and is immediately an upper card draw, becomes the first undisputed champion, and solidifies his place as a true, future LEGEND of this sport. His time came, he made it happen, and he even had time away yet returned to become one of the top, if not THE top, heel(s) in WWE without missing a beat. He had more going against him than, say, either "Daddy's Boy" HHH or Shawn "I'm set cause I'm in the clique!" Michaels. Sure, sure, Michaels is loaded with talent, and yes, he's been one of my favorites for years (even though Bret, by far, is highly superior) but I think that politicking should have some bearing on the votes. I mean, who's to say these two would have become as big as they are without their overly-obvious "Hogan-like" backstage philandering? The only other option I see is Cena. Yeah, yeah, I can hear you now. But who else has come onto the scene like he has and made this kind of impression as fast and is EXTREMELY more interesting to watch than Hogan ever was (Not to mention his acting being Oscar material next to Hulk's) and gives a hell of a performance every time? People may hate him, but in the era where heel is face and face is heel, he is probably one of the very last to clearly define the babyface description so well.

Whoops! I forgot Angle! I was thinking of this in a sole-WWE aspect. If it's solely WWE, then Jericho or Cena. Across the board, Angle. There. Now my conscience is clear.

My vote is with Angle, the guy is amazing, in 10 years he's done it all, he may not be as loved as Cena or Undertaker but this is about wrestler of the decade, and in terms of wrestling skill he's the best around. Honourable mention to Jericho though, I give it to Kurt because he's been both WWE and TNA's main man, and in his words he knocked back a shot in the UFC to help put TNA on the map, he didn't need to prove anything more of himself in wrestling but he did it anyway. I wonder if he regrets it though, maybe Karen would have stuck around if he hadn't signed with TNA

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back