• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Wrestlemania 2: A Retrospective Look

Dagger Dias

One Winged Admin
Staff member
Administrator
This is the second entry in a my Retrospective thread series on Wrestlemania events. With Wrestlemania 30 approaching, I wanted to take a look back at all of the previous editions of the biggest pro wrestling PPV brand out there, Wrestlemania. Every couple of days from now up until Wrestlemania 30 I will submit a topic on a Wrestlemania event, from the first show up until Wrestlemania 29. Let's slowly look back at all of the historical events leading up to the big day in April.

This time we will look back on Wrestlemania 2!

WrestleMania2.jpg

Wrestlemania 2 took place on April 7th, 1986. It was unique in the sense that it was held at multiple locations. They included the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum in Uniondale New York, Rosemont Horizon in Rosemont Illinois, and the Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena in Los Angeles California. Between the three locations a combined total of 40,085 fans attended the event. Here are the match results broken down by location:

Nassau Coliseum
1. Paul Orndorff and The Magnificent Muraco (with Mr. Fuji) fought to a double countout in a singles match (04:10)

2. Randy Savage (c) (with Miss Elizabeth) defeated George "The Animal" Steele in a singles match to retain the WWF Intercontinental Championship (05:10)

3. Jake Roberts defeated George Wells in a singles match (03:15)

4. Mr. T (with Joe Frazier and The Haiti Kid) defeated Roddy Piper (with Bob Orton and Lou Duva) by disqualification in a boxing match (13:15)

Rosemont Horizon
1. The Fabulous Moolah (c) defeated Velvet McIntyre in a singles match to retain the WWF Women's Championship (01:25)

2. Corporal Kirchner defeated Nikolai Volkoff (with Freddie Blassie) in a flag match (02:05)

3. André the Giant defeated 19 other participants by last eliminating Bret Hart in a 20-man battle royal

4. The British Bulldogs (Davey Boy Smith and The Dynamite Kid) (with Ozzy Osbourne and Lou Albano) defeated The Dream Team (Greg "The Hammer" Valentine and Brutus Beefcake) (c) (with Johnny Valiant) in a tag team match to win the WWF Tag Team Championship (13:03)

Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena
1. Ricky Steamboat defeated Hercules Hernandez in a singles match

2. Adrian Adonis (with Jimmy Hart) defeated Uncle Elmer in a singles match

3. Terry Funk and Hoss Funk (with Jimmy Hart) defeated Junkyard Dog and Tito Santana in a tag team match (13:00)

4. Hulk Hogan (c) defeated King Kong Bundy (with Bobby Heenan) in a steel cage match to retain the WWF Championship (11:00)

Now, here are some discussion questions concerning this show:

What was your favorite match on this show, and why did you like it the most? What about the worst match of this show, why did you like it the least?

Should WWE do a show like this in multiple locations again, why or why not?

If you could change a few things about Wrestlemania 2, what would it be and why?

You may only use wrestlers who were available at the roster at that time or make changes that could have realistically taken place in April 1986. Please keep in mind the situations going into the show such as who could actually have been pushed into a title match, or what songs existed back then if you wanted to change the show's theme music, and so forth.

You may only discuss Wrestlemania 2 in this thread. The other Wrestlemania events will be getting their own retrospective threads shortly, any posts regarding other events will be considered spam and you risk getting an infraction.

Discuss! :)

Since this was only the second WrestleMania the event hadn’t really hit its stride yet. It was unusual that the show took place in three different cities and that it was on a Monday night. I understand thinking having the show in the three biggest markets would give it a big feel but I think it had the opposite effect. I think the show would have had a bigger feel if it were in one arena on a Sunday night.

As for the card itself I think it was fine for the most part. It would have been nice if Jake Roberts had a better opponent than George Wells but Jake was new to the WWF and he was just going over a lower end talent to introduce himself to the fans, similar to King Kong Bundy the year before. The show could have been a lot better had some of the matches got more time. Corporal Kirchner vs. Nikolai Volkoff wasn’t going to be a classic by any means but the USA vs. USSR flag match should have gotten more time. The match that could have really made a difference was Paul Orndorff vs. Don Muraco. These were two of the top guys of the mid 80s and on paper this was a great match for mania. It opened the show and ended in a double count out after about three minutes. The fans were not happy as there was a “bullshit” chant right at the beginning of WrestleMania in 1986. That match should have gone at minimum another ten minutes.

As for my favorite match on the card it was easily the tag title match between The Dream Team and The British Bulldogs. That was a great match and easily holds up to this day. I’m tempted to say my least favorite match was Adrian Adonis vs. Uncle Elmer. It was just awful but honestly that was expected. Due to expectations my least favorite was Orndorff vs. Muraco. Those guys could have put on a very good match but just did not get the chance.

Much like Mania I, I really haven't watched the card beginning to end so I really wouldn't change anything. Much like Mania I, my favorite match was a gimmick match involving Andre. I think the reason I liked this match so much is that Bret was the last guy eliminated and when I got into wrestling Bret was my favorite so when I watched this for the first time it was cool seeing Bret in such an old event.

I forgot this was in three different locations. I certainly wouldn't want to buy a ticket to see 4 matches.

Bundy certainly didn't do for Hogan what Andre did. But Bundy definitely had his place as another big, dastardly heel that had to slam and beat to get over.

Two things stand out about this show for me... The Bulldogs (their winning the title was basically the first WWF I saw as a child on World Of Sport) and that they ditched the Bret Hart v Ricky Steamboat match...

The card itself didn't really "improve" on the previous year, but relied on it's gimmick of tri-locations to sell it as "another first" rather than a solid show. Indeed much of the card was a glorified episode of Superstars with Jake v Wells not really belonging on the show... With a few choice changes to each match, Bret v Steamboat, Herc's debut could have been against Uncle Elmer and been far more impressive. Jake could have easily debuted in a different way but looking at it there were a hell of a lot of short matches that were supposed to be blow offs...

Of course timing was part of the reason, with 3 venues, different timezones and the still fledgling PPV/closed circuit there was no room for error but it seemed a bit stingy on matches in favor of the poor Boxing bout, which was a waste of everyone involved, The Funk's match one of the longest - again a waste when they were actually never used seemingly after that night. If you were going to move them straight into title contention it's worth it, other wise it wasn't.

The main event did it's job, it sold Hogan as "The Immortal" and the cage concept was again a big thing for it's time - the first widely viewed of it's type, they didn't televise cage matches back then so this was massive... but they had to use the awful blue monstrosity that looking now so impacts the action cos the camera can barely see a lot of it.

Mania 2 did it's job in that it again, about broke even. Is it something they could do again?

I think so...

I have long said that the answer to the talent issues around Mania time, the shoehorning of matches and into battle royales can be easily solved... Wrestlemania should be a 2 day event. Saturday and Sunday night this way the "dual main event" concept works wonders. You can double the amount of action, use more talent and sell two arenas. These could be in different cities or even countries.

I also think this is a great solution to the "long held problem of " time difference for the UK.

Imagine the scenario, Wrestlemania 32 takes place in London and New York on one day. You can start Mania so that the London main event ends around 11 in the UK, with a 5 hour difference that is 6pm EST... an hour of recap/preshow and the New York part of the show begins at 7EST...

Sure it's a big undertaking but imagine a 3 hour WM segment in the UK, then 3 in New York. with the hour in between conceivably the wrestler could wrestle the opening match in London, get on the jet and wrestle the main event of the MSG segment. It'd be a huge risk, but possible... Will they ever do it, hell no but how cool would it be if they did? The MSG crowd would be encouraged to be there for the day to see the whole event, big screens in the car park or Central Park for example...

Likewise the Saturday/Sunday concept could mean a UK based Saturday (that yes some spoilers would emerge from) and then the Sunday part being in the US, tere would be time to get talent across the pond if needed... Again massive undertaking, unlikely but not impossible by any stretch.

Favorite match was Hogan vs Bundy. The buildup for the match was very well done, but that's not why it was my favorite. I guess it's because it was the only real significant match on the show(the battle royal is kind of too) and it's what everyone remembers wm 2 for. The other matches are pretty forgettable. Usually when Hogan works with big guys, the matches sucik, but with Bundy he had good chemistry I feel(and of course with Andre).

Worst match was Adonis vs Elmer. There were a lot of bad filler matches on the show, but this one was the worst. That's what I would have changed about wm 2. Giving the matches more meaning. A lot of them were just there.

They should never do 3 locations again. These days who would pay to see 4 matches in person and the rest on a big screen?

I would have eliminated Susan St. James, Cathie Lee Crosby and Elvira from calling ALL of the action. They could have had St. James "stop by" during the Roberts squash, Crosby during the ladies' match and Elvira during the Elmer match...thanks for coming, answer a few questions during these filler matches (no offense to the women, Crosby could have spoken to women power or whatever) and off they go.

I hate the Piper vs Mr. T boxing match. The storyline was fine, but this has no "re-watch" value for me. Whenever I pop in WM2 for nostalgia, this match gets skipped.

Each venue had some serious appeal, in my opinion. I hated the boxing match, but it was obviously a big deal. So, that and the IC match for the NY crowd. Battle Royal and Tag Team title match for Chicago. LA got Hogan and....um...whoops! I realize Hogan was THE MATCH, so if anyone had to get short-changed, it would be LA. But, I think rather than adding another match of substance, they could have given the title match some more juice. (I realize that back then, they needed no more juice than Hogan himself...but go with me here) Since Muraco was wasted in the opening bout, let's do some changing:

Feed Neidhart to Orndorff to start off the night in NY. Match couldn't have pissed off the crowd more than the actual opener did. Orndorff wins clean here. Bret would take on Steamboat, as was the original plan, in LA. Replace the Harts with the Moondogs or some other heel tag team in Chicago, and let Andre throw one onto the other as he did with Bret onto Anvil. Then, for the cage match, have Muraco somehow get into the cage and lock himself in (and refs/officials/Hogan buddies out) to help Bundy "finish the job" on Hogan's ribs. Out comes a face Hercules to use his mighty strength to rip the cage door off and come in and save Hogan. Herc disappers mysteriously (his heel debut with Blassie wasn't known to all, so expose him to the masses in a mysterious way here "Who was that bohemoth?!") as Hogan celebrates/poses alone to end the show. (Later, Herc could get fed up with Hogan--much like Orndorff,Honky,etc.--and become heel. Heenan could tell him that he owes him a world title after costing him one at WM2, Herc tries and fails against Hogan and off he goes to his Billy Jack Haynes, Warrior feuds before turning face between WMIV and V)

Never thought of any of that until just now, but I wanted to add a new idea to this great idea for a thread. I think I'm proud of myself. haha! Looking forward to WMIII and more...

I have not seen this show in its entirety, so I'll avoid picking a favorite and least favorite match. It would be unfair to rank matches I saw against ones I have yet to watch. I plan to see the whole thing at some point though. The one thing I would have changed is one I'm sure several other fans have in mind. I think it should all have been one card. I give the WWE credit for trying this format, but it really does not work and the fact that we haven't seen another Wrestlemania in multiple locations the same day is proof of that. WWE tried something different though, so I do give them credit for that effort. I never want to see another PPV in the WWE in this format though. It should all be one card.

Even when trying to look at it through the perspective of if I had been an adult fan in the 80's, I would have been against the idea of this format. The card honestly looks impressive to me if you combine the three locations' cards into one. Have the Nassau Coliseum matches first, then the Rosemont Horizon, and the Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena matches last. The Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena portion had the world title match, so that's the one I would have wanted to attend if I had to pick. This show would likely be looked back on more fondly had it not been for the multiple location format.

I am actually not sure why the Women's Match was so short. Loking at it Velvet McIntyre probably would have made a decent Ladies Champion or at least been a longer match to make instead of looking bad at WM2.

Up until I read the lineup, I realized that I had forgotten about virtually every single other match on this card other than the tag team title match, T vs Piper, the battle royal, and, of course, the main event. While it was certainly worth giving it a shot, the 3 location idea didn't seem to gel like I believe the powers that be wanted it to gel. I can recall thinking that the entire setup seemed disjointed and a bit balky. As I stated before, I really didn't remember the majority of the matches on the card, so an objective review on my part is not going to be a possibility. The matches that I do remember the best were the absolutely god awful "boxing match" between Piper and Mr. T, and the Tag Team championship match between the dream team and the bulldogs...easily the best worked match on the card. It's a shame that Piper didn't potato Mr. T with a good one, but I suppose that Roddy wasn't in a position to lose his job by doing some thing ill advised on a national pay per view.....Oh yeah , I kinda enjoyed the battle royal .....the Andre connection you know. I can't even say what I actually would or wouldn't change about the card, cause, I forgot about the bulk of it. i guess that speaks volumes as to what I overall thought of WM 2. Not a great deal.

What was your favorite match on this show, and why did you like it the most?

My favourite match on the card was The British Bulldogs vs The Dream Team for the tag titles. Again like the previous year, I was hooked on tag team wrestling as a kid and The Bulldogs were something else compared to other teams at the time like The Killer Bees, The Funk Brothers, Sheik and Vulkoff, Hart Foundation...... The title change not-withstanding, the Bulldogs has challenged for these belts on a few SNME shows which they always come up short, seeing them finally get the belts was huge to me, as title changes didnt happen that often in the pre-ppv days. And with it being the only title change at the ppv, it was significant to me also.

What about the worst match of this show, why did you like it the least?
Hmm take your pic. I had never heard of Velvet McIntyre, her nipple slip when she got pinned was nice, but the match went for barely 90 seconds. Each event had four matches, and Adonis vs Uncle Elmer was short and rubbish, Corporal Kirchner vs Vulkoff was over before ot got going also. I know each arena had an hour each for their 4 matches, but my gong for worst match was Jake Roberts vs George Wells. Wells was a jobber on the biggest card ever at this point, a new heel Jake Roberts could have been fed somebody more known, thinking back in time, maybe Paul Roma, who had a great look also, or maybe Moondog Spot.

Should WWE do a show like this in multiple locations again, why or why not?

Not for Wrestlemania. It is the showcase, the supervowl, the world series. It is a huge event, and should be treated as such for the LIVE audience. Who is going to travel from overseas to see 2-3 matches, now that most ppvs barely have 8 matches????

If you could change a few things about Wrestlemania 2, what would it be and why?

I understand why they did it, but having the NFL guys in the battle royal wasnt a smart move, as far as in-ring action. The showdown between John Studd and William Perry is what I remember, and the match was made solely to give Andre the win, but I would personally have had Danny Spivey vs Jake Roberts in Nassau Coliseum, WWE could have reached out to Bob Backlund for the battle royal, after all it had former WWWF Champions Sammartino, Morales, Shiek involved.....Backlund getting his hands on Sheik could have ben an interesting moment during the battle royal

This was a WrestleMania that could of been so much better. I think they way over killed it with the celebrities. They did learn and hit their stride the following year. For some reason I liked the Steamboat/Hercules match. A lot of people didn't like George Wells on the card and I understand that. At the time, I had no problem with him on the card. I was actually very familiar with him. He was pretty popular in the Bay Area and I saw him give Brutus Beefcake a beating in Oakland before Beefcake got himself disqualified. He had a lot of potential but he just never made it to that next level. Jake was very new to the WWF so I think George did a fantastic job putting Jake and the snake itself over. Changes I would of made would be booking Piper against Orndorff. This would of been the perfect place for a blow off match. Their matches on tour were full of heat. They could of added a No DQ stipulation and let them go all out. Orton and Mr. T could of been in the corners and gotten involved. I just never liked the main event. Bundy was an awesome heel but I would of put him in the battle royal. I would have booked Muraco in the cage with Hogan. Muraco was an awesome heel, gold on the mic and great in cage matches. I think Hogan/Muraco would of been good and still talked about today.

Mania 2 was... different. 3 venues and tons of potential. also like Mania 1, it was more about the spectacle and celebrity involvement than the wrestling. I understand why it had to be that way but, as a wrestling fan, sometimes I feel it was extremely so.

like everyone else it seems, my favorite match and the best of the night was easily the Tag Title contest. I loved it from start to finish. and yet, maybe the British Bulldogs vs. the Hart Foundation might have been even better. them all being family could have even been brought up in the storyline build up.

I love the idea of putting Hogan vs. Muraco in the Steel Cage main event. it would have been a much better match and had a better appeal to the wrestling fans. it's not like the casual fan knew who Bundy was or were tuning in just to see him. so Bundy really was replaceable in this event.

then I would slide Bundy in the 20-man Battle Royal and have him be the last eliminated by Andre. that'd be more impressive than throwing out the much smaller Bret Hart. this was an easy match to add some celebrity star power as they did with the NFL players, so I'd keep that aspect.

Piper/Mr. T in a boxing match was a great idea. terrible execution. I wish there was something better for Piper but I can't think of anything for him. maybe turn him face and have him face Orton for costing him the Main Event in Mania 1? what about Piper/Superfly? they never had a match that I can remember after Piper smashed his head with a coconut. in fact, that's the match I want here.

the only other change I'd make, and yes I know I've made a few already, is giving Jake the Snake a better debut over a more established face. not necessarily cuz he needed it, but because I'm such a fan of the guy and I always hope the best for him.

to summarize, Mania 2 was unique but really for a good reason. the 3 venues just didn't work for me.
I'd put Bundy in the Battle Royal with Andre and the NFL players with Andre still winning.
Piper vs. Superfly would have replaced the boxing match.
The Bulldogs vs. The Hart Foundation for the Tag Team Titles to replace the Dream Team.
and then Hogan vs. Muraco in the Steel Cage in the Main Event.

This is just the second Wrestlemania and I think almost all of the criticisms that can be made have been done already. At the end of the day, the three venues thing just didn't work and there's almost nothing must see on the card at all. I liked it as a kid but looking back on it now, there's just nothing there to hold it up with the boxing match being horrible and the Tag Team Title match having been done better by other teams.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back