• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Would Drew Mcintyre have been a better MITB winner?

Disturbed

Championship Contender
The question is, Do you think Drew Mcintyre would have been better off winning the money in the bank at Wrestlemania 26, instead of Jack Swagger? I think Mcintyre would have gained more from it. He had the whole "Chosen One" gimmick that was working very well and was getting him over as a heel. I think he was ready as Swagger was not. Mcintyre was getting built up before Wrestlemania and Swagger was on Superstars wrestling Santino. I think Swagger's title reign was a waste and if given to Mcintyre it would have been better. They should have waited on Swagger and built him up more. Maybe waiting untill the Money in the Bank ppv, and winning instead of Kane. I just think Mcintyre would have gained more from it, since he was already built properly.

Thoughts?

Would he have been better off? Probably, but there's one problem that I see with Drew McIntyre being the winner of the MITB back at Mania 26. And that's the reception Drew had gotten before hand. WWE was losing alot of faith in Drew McIntyre around that time due to his inability to get over with the fans. Drew was very bland. His short storyline with Teddy was beyond horrible. Horrible promo after horrible promo, Drew failed expectations immensely. This amongst his inability to live up to his hype was the reason that Drew didn't become MITB winner and Swagger was chosen instead.

Had Drew won the MITB, I think he would have had a similar path to that of Swagger, honestly. Just as Swagger wasn't ready to get his push, neither would have Drew been ready. Like I said, Drew wasn't living up to his hype; the MITB would have probably only shown even more that he wasn't worth his hype. Eventually, he would have gone back to mid-card - thus ending up exactly like Swagger.

I always believed that the winner of that MITB should have been Christian which could have sparked a nice potential feud with either Jericho or Edge - or heck, even a feud that involved the three of them leading into a triple threat match for the title. That would have been epic in my book. Though, that's a different story.

I think Swagger was the better choice then McIn tyre to be champion. While Swagger's reign wasn't a success, it wasn't a disaster either. The week after winning the title, he defeated Edge and Jericho in an excellent triple threat match to retain the title.
[YOUTUBE]Hm-AVSbKu-k[/YOUTUBE]

Following this, he defeated Randy Orton clean at Extreme Rules. For a first time heel champion to gain clean victories over wrestlers who have a combined 26 title reigns, it's hard to call his title reign a total disaster. He was a victim of bad booking after that. Big Show simply isn't a main eventer anymore, and putting him in a program with Swagger is a mistake. What most people remember is Swagger's feud with Show, not his early title defenses.

Drew McIntyre simply wasn't ready, and he still isn't. He had a very lackluster, unmemorable IC title reign, so it's hard to imagine he could make the leap to a more prestigous belt in the WHC. He drew very little heat other then belitting Teddy Long, a non-wrestler. For this poster, I can't recall a memorable match with McIntyre while IC champ except when he dropped the belt to Kofi Kingston. So Swagger's matches as WHC were better then McIntyre's as IC Champion.

McIntyre has yet to develop a moveset, with signature moves. I can't recall any signature moves from McIntyre other then the FS DDT, his finisher. As for Swagger, he uses the Vader Bomb, the Ankle lock, the floaover DDT, and the Gutwrench powerbomb, just off the top of my head.

The final reason I give the edge to Swagger is the heat he drew. There were times when he was cutting promos on an over the hill wresler in Big Show that he couldnt get his words out because the heat from the crowd was so loud. McIntyre never drew that, even when he was belittling Teddy Long. Im not saying McIntyre couldn't be a future champ, nor am I saying they made the right decision in putting the belt on Swagger. But between the two, they made the right decision in this case.

I agree w/Mr. Awesome and LSN80. I definitely agree w/their assessments of the situation.

While I like McIntyre and hope he does break out and gain better momentum than he has, I think it was a good idea to give it to Swagger. He was the one that had the whole amateur background notoriety going for him and was a little more solid in-ring wise. They took a gamble and I think they really didn't think ahead of time what to do with Swagger long term and it hurt him. If they had done that w/Drew, I could see him having to work himself back up the ladder much like Swagger has to do now. Since they're taking time to let Drew become a mainstay before inserting him into the title picture, they're actually doing the right thing and he should become solidified as a contender in time. Now as long as they do the right thing w/Swagger eventually too...

I really do hate all the flack Swagger gets for his title reign...

Jack Swagger is entertaining. I said it, we all know it whether its admitted or not. This is a case of WWE knowing something we didn't. To comparison to Drew Mcintyre, Drew wasn't ready and still isn't. Had Drew climbed the ladder that night and pulled the briefcase, we wouldn't have been very surprised. The smartest would of expected it, the smuggest would of said they knew it was coming. Drew would be on top of the ladder with the briefcase to.....dead silence, he didn't get ANY reaction from the crowd back then. In fact last night I was stunned because for the first time ever I actually heard the crowd react to Drew in any sort of faction, some cheered for his entrance and some booed. I was shocked.

Honestly it wouldn't of been good for business had Drew performed the predictable and went on to silent cash in and a dead in the water title run. Had he faced the same layout Swagger did, then he'd get a small reaction to cashing it on Jericho, used as fodder to Edge/Jericho in a triple threat, had a few other mediocre matches with John Morrison and put a slow paced match against Randy Orton at Extreme Rules. Drew was pretty dull in the ring back then, the majority of his matches involved him punching and punching and punching anddddddddd punching again before a poke to the eye or a shoulder to the beam under the ring followed by a future shock DDT. Big Show would be drafted to Smackdown the following night and so would the burial of Drew Mcintyre begin.

What did Drew get by NOT winning MitB? He relegated in the Mid-card developing the "Chosen one" gimmick a lot more then it was. At the time of Mania the only thing that lead us to believe Drew was the chosen one was he was put over by Mcmahon 6 months prior and given 3 opportunities to qualify for MitB. Post-Mania he entered a feud with Teddy Long and proved the powers that be really did want Drew to be the future. He was given the use of the McMahon name to get himself over and entered a small feud with Kofi Kingston over the IC title which people legit didn't care about while it was on him. Then he was given a feud with a very popular Matt Hardy, some one who could get a reaction for Drew from the crowd and carry a good match with.

The simple answer is, Drew may have had the pull of the powers that be going into Wrestlemania 26, but he was far from ready. Jack Swagger was untapped potential at that point and proved he can be a great worker. By entrusting the coveted briefcase to him, we got great matches from him with Edge,Chris Jericho,John Morrison,Randy Orton,Rey Mysterio and The Undertaker. He also finally got the All American American gimmick over and got some really good heat from the crowd. Drew was saved from being thrust into the main event and got to work on his gimmick a while longer.

I'd say thats win-win. Jack Swagger was a good choice for MitB, hes a good choice for it next year as well. It wasn't Jack Swagger that dropped the ball on his title run, it was WWE creative.

Given the push Drew had before WM 26 and Swagger's losing streak leading up to WM 26, I was way shocked to see Swagger as the 2010 WM M.I.T.B winner. Drew was still very new with all this exposure, so I could see why he didn't win it, but him winning this year, if there is one, would be very nice to see. He hasn't completely lived up to his gimmick...yet, but if there is a M.I.T.B match at WM 27, I sure hope Drew gets the nod to win it if Morrison, Christian or Del Rio don't win it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back