Would a theme song by a notable band help put over some mid card superstars?

Hyorinmaru

Sit Upon The Frozen Heavens
becauseI like 1 of you here's a thread i just made in the WWE section.

By 'notable' I mean a band that actually plays music for a living & not a theme done by Jim Johnston.​

for a few weeks now I've been I've been watching both RAW & Smackdown and I've noticed that only the Main Eventers use themes by a band everyone knows.​
Tripe H: 2 current themes by Motorhead. The theme for Evolution was also done by Motorhead.

Rey Mysterio: His theme is by P.O.D.​

Edge: Old theme was by Rob Zombie, Current one is by Alter bridge​

Orton: Old one was by Mercy Drive. Current one is by Rev Theory. Also used This Fire burns by Killswitch Engage for 1 week before it was given to CM Punk.​

CM Punk. Uses a theme done by Killswitch Engage.​

Batista: His theme was by Saliva​

What do all these names have in common? All of them are multi-time World Champions and currently very close to the Main Event Scene if not right smack in the middle of it (except Batista[not in the WWE] & Triple H [still injured]).

With all this information I can't help but think a few superstars would get over a lot easier if they had a theme by a band people recognize. The first one that Springs to mind is Daniel Bryan, his current theme is just bleh. Give him a theme by a currently popular band (Which one i have no idea) and I can see him getting much bigger pops than he's getting now.

Another person that comes to mind is Ted Dibiase. i like his current theme somewhat but I think if it was done by a currently popular rap star (Again I have no idea which one) it would help him get some more heat.

Do you think this would help at all and if you do what mid card stars would you give a new theme to and what band would you have do it?​

To end I would like to point out that I know there are a lot more factors to someone getting over than entrance music. i just think this would help with a few of them.​

Since the prisoners can't see the other thread, I am going to post my response from The WWE Section in here as well. That way if any of them might agree or disagree with it, they have a chance to have a discussion about a relevant thread...

I think the key to shitty theme songs is not necessarily the band, but the song in general. Your example of Ted Dibiase is right as far as a change in music could probably help him. I personally do not like the song. Though his song's lyrics are about money, it sucks. But if it was done by Lil Wayne or Kanye West or someone THAT big, it would probably make him seem more legitimate when he is coming to the ring.

Take Drew McIntyre as an example. His theme song is not sung by a well known main stream band. But, it is one of the coolest if not THE coolest theme song in wrestling period. It fits him perfectly and he fits it perfectly when he walks to the ring. I do get the point though. Maybe having a littler known guy come down to the ring using a kick ass song by a well known band would help make them more legit somehow, or help them get over.

Music helps represent the guy or gal, coming to the ring AND more than anything, represents their gimmick in some way.

So, all in all, I would say the artist wouldn't make too much of a difference in most cases. Though it COULD, obviously, depending on the artist and how it fits the wrestler.

I think an Entrance Theme, no matter who is performing it, should be a representation of the wrestler and his current gimmick, and be somewhat catchy!

Here some guys that I think could benefit from a change in their music.

Alex Riley - I think he could definitely use a separate identity than coming to the ring as Mr. I Heart The Miz. Not that it's a bad gimmick for him, or bad stepping stone. I think it will lead to his future overness and he will be pretty relevant in years to come. But coming to the ring using The Miz's music works against him. If he had a great theme song when he made his entrance and people looked forward to it, he would start to define his existence apart from The Miz. A song that would describe his cockiness seems like the way to go. As far as who should sing it, someone else gets paid to decide that... But something from Bullet For My Valentine talking about being a beast or something like that would fit.

The Corre - They would benefit in my opinion from a change in theme also. I do not really like their current one. I thought the Nexus theme was great and then he goes to this new one. A big fall off if you ask me. I think a catchy ass hard rock song from a band like 3 Days Grace would fit The Corre, Barrett and would be an upgrade.

CM Punk - He doesn't need a change to be elevated. But I think WWE should change it though. It still seems like a better fit for him when he is Face. Something more melodic than Killswitch. A slow paced song by Disturbed or maybe even Korn would fit CM Punk as he makes his way to the ring and is booed by the fans.

That is a few, I'm sure there are a lot more I could think of also, but Hell, how long do you wanna read my post LOL...

Love the "Cos I like 1 of you bit" - Who is it?

But yeah, back on topic, I think that a notable band doing Entrance Music for a Midcard Star is a good idea. (Saying that, Sheamus' Music is written by Jim Johnston.) I do agree with Crooked I though, that Drew McIntyre's Theme Music, Broken Dream by Shamans Harvest is possibly the BEST entrance music I've heard in a long time. Just goes to show that it does do something if a notable band makes a difference.

Daniel Bryan - Needs to drop the crap he's got now. I couldn't think of what to give him though. Something fast-paced. He used to have "The Final Countdown", even that would be better than Valkyries.
Iron Maiden? Who knows, could be interesting.

Sheamus - As I said, Johnston wrote his music, it's just performed by Sean Jenness (Whoever he is). Something Heavy would do him. For Whom The Bell Tolls by Metallica. Don't ask why, I just imagine the drum & guitar bit at the beginning and Sheamus walking out, really weird, but I do. If not, have him come out to just something as brutal as himself. I would say more of a Thrash song, not something like BFMV, 'cos it's a bit too "UnSheamus".

You know? I find this hard. Picking songs for Stars is more difficult than I thought. SO, I will just simply express my opinions on current stars themes.

I can tell you people like Drew McIntyre/Cody Rhodes have the perfect theme tune. Ted Dibiase's needs a rehaul, and getting rid of the shit he's got now. Go back to the Adelitas Way track, that was good. You're not black, so please, don't use that, no matter how much it mentions "You've got the Money". Rey Mysterio could do with a makeover in Music, it's stale and pretty boring. Swagger needs a new tune, this current one just doesn't work. Chavo could do without a woman having orgasm at the start of it. Dolph Zigglers music works for his character, as does John Cena/CM Punk. Nexus need a Theme that isn't Punks Music or that NXT Song. RAW as a show needs a whole new tune. Smackdown's is good ('Cos I like Green Day). Randy Orton, new tune for him please. He doesn't hear Voices anymore. Triple H should return with something new, just to confuse people. Alberto Del Rio's music is good, works with the cockyness. I like Edge's song, probably 'cos I'm an Alter Bridge fan and I've sung that song before.

Anyways, enough of my ramblings, that's just all my thoughts in one shit post.

A notable band would help any midcarder no doubt, but WWE need to fix their theme music in general anyway.
But now... It's just lousy rock music with zero personality. Hey, it seems to match the WWE's booking and creative ideas since the early 2000's: NO PERSONALITY. Bill lesnars wants them to bring is to bring back Johnston's personalized compositions for WWE theme music again. Yeah, he's used on other WWE projects, such as the film studio compositions, but the WWE thrives on image and Johnston's themes have a personality to them. As stated above HHH got Moterhead ( I preferred my time but whatever) and it became very VERY popular. So real bands were injected into the wwe. Artists would actually take Johnston's developed theme and work around them. Steve Austin, Chris Benoit, and Kane had AWESOME themes developed for them by Disturbed, Our Lady Peace, and Finger Eleven. Orton killed this with his terrible 2004 theme paving the way for some atrocious theme music (evolution theme was Sweet) and Batista ditched his old awesome theme for some newer shit (band stuff). Now in this day in age we have bland, boring themes for he likes of Orton,Nexus (both old and new), sheamus ,Miz and Ziggler and imo pretty much every other young guy. Giving them notable bands won’t make a diff imo, just bring back Johnston (Del Rios? – if so hands down best theme in the youth movement). This differs from the past with Johnston's work... Think about Goldust's theme... It's PERFECT. It completely captures the character's aura. Undertaker ministry stuff is just badass as is the Brood, Razor Ramon, Sid and of course DX (when you here ‘ARE YOU READY’ you just know what’s up it just wakes the crowd up and conveys what their group was all about). . Steve Austin and the Rock's themes are FANTASTIC (hmmm hard to choose between Rocks 2002 n 2003 themes just so good). You know when that glass shatters, ITS ALL ON, SHIT IS GONNA GO DOWN... After you hear "Do You Smell What the Rock is Cooking", the Rock's theme then captures that swagger of the Rock's character. Just give these themes some damn personality and make these wrestlers mean something to the fans. Doesn’t have to be notable bands. Out with the generic rock, in with the edgy killer beats.

I’m probably the only one who doesn’t care for Drew’s theme. As for Ted’s that’s just shite. It doesn’t suit his character what so ever and for me it’s not even a real wrestling theme, it’s just nothing. Words cannot even describe how bad that is. Raid the freaking public domain or something. His theme is just another bad thing for Ted. Have Jim Johnston compose original classics again. New age outlaws,Jericho mankind etc. All INCREDIBLE THEMES made by Johnston. To me wrestler's theme music helps to establish a strong image as to who the wrestler is or what they represent. Old and New Nexus could do with some good gritty theme music that suited their roguish nature. I was a BIG fan of Frank Shelleys NOW theme. Shit the Brood had a fantastic theme. The Nexus are the only stable in the wwe and fuck wwe make them matter and give them some decent theme music. Doesn’t have to be a notable band, same goes for the rest of the young guys.

[youtube]dqRKKpnWkh8[/youtube]

Gangrel was average but he had SICK music. Crowds always loved hearing that theme.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back