• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WORST. PPV. EVER

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMK

Getting Noticed By Management
This thread has probably been done before, but since Josh and Justin brought it up on CSR this week, I figured why not discuss it further.

There's so many to choose from, I can't just pick one. But I am going to disagree with what Justin Labar said about In YOur House 96. I believe a bad ppv should be judged by the card itself, not circumstances that are out of the control of the company putting on the show. Yeah, the power went out, but that's not WWF's fault. I think IYH 96 is a disappointing ppv, since things went wrong, but if the power hadn't gone out, the lineup for that card was pretty good.

Anyhoo, here are my worst ppv's ever:

WCW Capital Combat: May 19 1990.
The Power didn't go out....but I think everyone involved wished it had. This was the infamous ppv where ROBOCOP (yes, the movie character) saved Sting from the 4 horseman. WOW. All I can say is wow. If anyone tells you the Gobbildy Gooker was the worst moment in wrestling back in 1990, then they never saw Robocop in WCW.

WCW GREED:March 18 2001
It's March 2001. WCW is about to die and be bought by Vince McMahon. So...why should I fork over cold hard cash for a ppv that has no meaning? The lineup itslef is completely forgettable as this was WCW at it's worst and least popular. But the larger point is why this event took place at all?? Who cares about individual wrestling feuds when everyone knows the company is going under. And if its your last ppv ever...why not go out with a bang instead of a whimper. Put on the best show you can with the best lineup ever. To hell with current tv storylines, no one was watching WCW anyway. Just put The Horseman, The NWO, Sting, Luger, Harlem Heat, Stieners, Rey Mysterio (masked version), and all the other memorable wcw stars in one last show. And what the hell, just call it Starrcade. That was always there biggest event, so why not have an impromptu Starrcade in march instead of...Greed? Really? You go out with WCW Greed? No wonder they died. I am aware that technically, WCW didn't know precisely when they were going to end. But the writing was on the wall. The company was up for sale and with rumors of Vince buying it, why not hold off on this meaningless GREED ppv until you know for sure the future of your company. No one cared about the tv storylines at this point, we were more interesting in the ongoing saga behind the scenes. WCW may not have known exactly the date it was going to die, but it knew it was on borrowed time.

KING OF THE RING 1995
You could pretty much pick ANY WWF ppv from 1995. 1995 had the worst Royal Rumble, the worst Wrestlemania, the worst Summerslam, all in one year. Only 1993 comes close to being as bad as 1995 for the WWF, but at least 1993 had evil Doink. These were the lean years between the Hogan era and the Austin era. And this ppv might have been the worst of them all. MABEL vs SAVIO VEGA for the KOTR. Say what?? After Bret and Owen won respecitively in 93 and 94, THIS is the best they can do in 1995?? Let's just say making Diesel the focal point of WWF was a big mistake. Diesel didn't have a whole lot of mileage.

WCW Greed by far - a complete dud of a pay per view and a horrid way to finish off the company. At least they got the last match of the last nitro right with Sting vs. Flair, even though that was Vince's doing.

Greed was indeed horrendous.

But, now that I think about it a little further, how could I possibly forget WWF Over The Edge--1999.

WWF continues a ppv after a man has fallen to his death in the ring. I don't really think I need to elaborate on that one any further.

Wrestlemania 2, probably exclusively for that stupid actress in the first hour saying WUHH OH every few seconds... did my head in. Also I don't recall any really good matches on the card, the cage match & the bulldogs where okay if I remember correctly and the battle roayl wasn't too bad but the shows technical difficulties, relianse on celebrity announcers.... ESPECIALLY THAT STUPID WUH OH WOMAN alongside Vince ARRRGH and an incredibly dull set of matches then you got your winner.

That and WCW Greed which is the ACTUAL worst PPV of all time outside of that starts of wrestling one.

WCW Greed- This one was bad. The company was COMPLETELY Dead. No-one wanted to see this one. I guess if it's your last show, Why put any effort in?

WCW Uncensored 1995- Undisputedly The worst PPV to ever see the light of day. This was Fucking horrible. The best match of the night should've never seen a PPV. Theres a review of this one. Its BAD:http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?p=1788274#post1788274

Damn. WCW put on some shit PPV's. No wonder they died.

The worst PPV ever in my opinion was No Mercy 2007.

It started off with Orton being awarded the WWE Championship without even doing anything. (Cena had to relinquish it due to a legit injury and was scheduled to face Orton). Trips immediately challenges Orton and wins the title in the first of THREE matches for the title that evening. A boring tag team match followed. Then CM Punk defeated Big Daddy V in a forgettable ECW match. Trips then had to defend the WWE title against Umaga in a SECOND match for the title in the same night. Finlay wins a boring filler match, a divas match was next (way better than today's divas matches but still bad), Batista defeats KHALI in a WORLD TITLE MATCH. Then we have the main event, Trips against Orton AGAIN for the THIRD match of the night for the WWE Championship, which Orton won. This show was absolutely awful because there was not a single good match other than the main event which should have been the ONLY match for the WWE Championship that night, instead we got three when Orton was going to get the belt either way. Bogus. Every other match sucked too. People talk about December to Dismember being the worst, but this PPV takes the cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back