• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

World Heavyweight Championship match discussion

I think that Christian VS Bryan would make an awesome World Heavyweight Championship match for Wrestlemania. The problem is that it's still too early to make the call on whether it could happen or not. We will know more around Elimination Chamber when the angles become more clear. They would need to start turning Christian face too, due to Bryan seeming to be shifting towards being a heel. Christian inducting Edge can guarantee him ending up a face in time for Wrestlemania.

Now, if the match DOES happen then I'm sure it would steal the show because both guys are extremely skilled in the ring. The build up for it would likely be good too. Christian keeps demanding his ONE MORE MATCH and gets one with Bryan, who I think will still be the World Heavyweight Champion at that time. In terms of what happens in the ring, I think they would provide the best match of the night easily. Christian stole the show so much with Orton this summer, imagine what he could pull off with someone as good as Bryan, and on a show like Wrestlemania! I doubt it will happen but I'd want to see it.

So, where does Sheamus, the Rumble winner, figure into this? I'd be very, very suprised if he goes after the WWE title, especially with Jericho's actions on Raw, so my money is on him going for the WHC.

There is nothing wrong, match-wise, with Christian/Bryan. It'd be an excellent match. But not for Mania. It lacks the sparkle that a Mania match needs. Christian has been in the world title scene for most of the last 8-9 months, and deservedly so. But I believe that Sheamus is more suited to go at it for the title.

Now, normally, I'd say Sheamus has the same issue as Christian. Sheamus however, has one thing going for him; the Royal Rumble. Automatically, there is expectation on him, and that adds a lot to his credibility; he beat 29 other men for a shot at the big one, therefore there's more expectation on his match. I'd say the same thing if Christian had won the Rumble. Another thing, however, that Sheamus has going for him is that he hasn't been in the title hunt for a while. Christian has. So ina way, sheamus going for it is something fresh,a s opposed to Christian being in and around there since Extreme Rules.

Now, I know that Sheamus and Bryan have had battles before, where as Christian and Bryan have not had as many (if any?), but this is on the assumption that Bryan will be champ at Mania. For me, it could go either way. Personally, I'd dont see it, and I see Henry vs Sheamus at Mania. I always felt their feud never got the proper ending it deserved, and Mania would be a great occassion to clsoe the book on their feud. Plus, with Henry working as he has been recently, it'd be a pretty entertaining match in my opinion; I've loved Show vs Henry because it's two giants slugging it out for the big one; soemthing that hasn't properly happened for a while. Sheamus is a big guy, riding a rocket of momentum to mania for a title, and him clashing with Henry has the potential to be a ratehr suprisingly good match.

My prediction is that Henry wins at EC and Sheamus vs Henry is the match we see at Mania. However, I wouldn't be dissapointed if it was Bryan vs Sheamus, or even if Christian was in it. In terms of match quality, Smackdown has so many mouth-watering options, that I can't wait to see what happens.

So, where does Sheamus, the Rumble winner, figure into this? I'd be very, very suprised if he goes after the WWE title, especially with Jericho's actions on Raw, so my money is on him going for the WHC.

That's a good question. We don't know yet. All we know is that Sheamus will be in a world title match. Anything could happen between now and the end of the Elimination Chamber PPV. The titles could change hands or even swap brands for all we know. I think a triple threat could be cool. Sheamus VS Bryan VS Christian. I doubt it will happen though, much like the Christian VS Bryan match, as I said in my last post. I would love to see Christian stealing the show with Bryan. Sheamus VS Bryan is the match I think we will see now. We missed out on what might have been the second best match of the show last year in the Bryan/Sheamus US Championship match they left off the card. Perhaps they want to make up for that by giving it to us in World Heavyweight Championship form. That would be pretty awesome. Sheamus keeps improving as a face and we know what Bryan can do in the ring. That's if he goes for the World Heavyweight Championship though. He could go for the WWE Championship. We don't know yet. We also won't know who will be walking in as champion either until after Elimination Chamber. It's an exciting time of the year.

There is nothing wrong, match-wise, with Christian/Bryan. It'd be an excellent match. But not for Mania. It lacks the sparkle that a Mania match needs. Christian has been in the world title scene for most of the last 8-9 months, and deservedly so. But I believe that Sheamus is more suited to go at it for the title.

You make a valid argument here, and while I want to see Christian VS Bryan I certainly agree that Sheamus deserves the shot more. However, you claimed that Christian VS Bryan wasn't worthy of a Wrestlemania card. I disagree there. I think it would easily steal the show. What I really want you to elaborate for me though is this....

My prediction is that Henry wins at EC and Sheamus vs Henry is the match we see at Mania.

What? If Christian VS Bryan isn't Wrestlemania worthy when we have not seen it yet and we know it'd steal the show; yet Sheamus VS Henry, a rather boring angle we already saw this summer IS Wrestlemania worthy? I gotta disagree there because Henry needs to be as far away from the World Heavyweight Championship at Wrestlemania as possible. The man is a joke and I could not take him seriously as a world title holder for a single second lol....

That's a good question. We don't know yet. All we know is that Sheamus will be in a world title match. Anything could happen between now and the end of the Elimination Chamber PPV. The titles could change hands or even swap brands for all we know. I think a triple threat could be cool. Sheamus VS Bryan VS Christian. I doubt it will happen though, much like the Christian VS Bryan match, as I said in my last post. I would love to see Christian stealing the show with Bryan. Sheamus VS Bryan is the match I think we will see now. We missed out on what might have been the second best match of the show last year in the Bryan/Sheamus US Championship match they left off the card. Perhaps they want to make up for that by giving it to us in World Heavyweight Championship form. That would be pretty awesome. Sheamus keeps improving as a face and we know what Bryan can do in the ring. That's if he goes for the World Heavyweight Championship though. He could go for the WWE Championship. We don't know yet. We also won't know who will be walking in as champion either until after Elimination Chamber. It's an exciting time of the year.

Either match would be excellent. If anything, quality-wise, Christian/Bryan would be better in terms of actual wrestling. But I just get the feeling that sheamus is going to be gunning for the WHC. Hell, it could even be a triple threat? WWE haev done that a few times, so I wouldn't rule that out at all.

You make a valid argument here, and while I want to see Christian VS Bryan I certainly agree that Sheamus deserves the shot more. However, you claimed that Christian VS Bryan wasn't worthy of a Wrestlemania card. I disagree there.

Okay, I'll clarify here, as I don't think I made my point clearly. Christian/Bryan as a Mania main event is what I disagree with. On the card, oh yes. Definitely. If it wasn't around the wqorld title and was a feud going in, it'd be a travesty not to have a match with as much potential as this on the card. But not as a main event for the blue brand. The primary reason I am saying Sheamus would work better is because he's riding a wave of momentum that has yet to be fully capitalised on, and the Rumble and subsequent build to Mania will make his match at Mania much more important than it would be with anyone else challenging for the belt. The stage is set for Sheamus' potential to be fully realised as a legitimate face world champion, as opposed to the two heel runs he had.

What? If Christian VS Bryan isn't Wrestlemania worthy when we have not seen it yet and we know it'd steal the show; yet Sheamus VS Henry, a rather boring angle we already saw this summer IS Wrestlemania worthy? I gotta disagree there because Henry needs to be as far away from the World Heavyweight Championship at Wrestlemania as possible. The man is a joke and I could not take him seriously as a world title holder for a single second lol....

I half-expected this reaction :p as a lot of people share this view on Henry. But I actually think that Henrys run has been a breath of fresh air. Seeing him with the belt has been an interesting turn of events, and I think he's done more than well for himself. The reason I want this match is because, to me, it would feel like two titans battling for the throne of being the best on Smackdown. Henry has been booked to look like a beast, and in my (and a lot of other posters) opinion he does it damn well, and in terms of how competitive it would be, it would be all out war. Sheamus against Bryan would be a great match, definitely better in terms of wrestling quality, but Henry brings a huge feel of absolute domination, and it'd very interesting to see Sheamus have to deal with that; namely a guy bigger and stronger than he is, and how he would overcome it. In terms of story, I would prefer that to Bryan.

Make no mistake though, Bryan as Champion at Mania is not a bad thing, and I'd be more than happy to see it, too. Same with Christian/Bryan. It just wouldn't be my own personal first choice.

Jump right in and challenge Bryan out of no where? Christian could, you know, also win the Rumble.

And Bryan not being a full heel at this point is laughable. Have you even been watching his work as of late? Everything from his entrance to his actions to his words are completely heel, and he's completely turned the crowd against him.

I don't know how likely Christian vs. Bryan is as I foresee like everyone else: Orton/Bryan. But the WWE could build a strong program around Christian/Bryan, even incorporating how Christian was mistreated as champion while Bryan fluked into the title. Edge going into the HOF could also play a major role in the build. I definitely think the WWE actually has some sort of plan for Christian at WM, instead of just throwing him into the MITB again. He hasn't had a 1 on 1 @ Mania since 20. Long overdue, especially with all the hard work he's put in since recovering and returning from his torn pectoral last year.

HEY...shut up.

RR is over and see how that played out? Christian wasn't even in it. He is still injured.

Bryan might be doing and saying heelish things...doesn't mean he is. John Cena is responsible for Zack Ryder getting injured by Kane due to association...does TAHT make Cena heel?

The last thing I want to see is Christian getting a match with the help of Edge. Christian is capable of doing things on his own, he doesn't need Edge's help to get him over. Aside from Christian probably inducting Edge, he should have no association with him.

Christian will get a WM match with someone, it's possible for him to feud with someone between now and Mania. Its also possible he could get thrown into the MITB for star power like Orton was.

I don't about everybody else, but I just have that gut feeling that the World Heavyweight Championship won't be straight up one on one. They SHOULD, but I don't know if that's how it'll end up.

I feel as if Christian or Randy Orton will get involved somehow.

Because how long can they really milk this Orton/Barrett feud for? Can they keep it interesting enough to put it on the WrestleMania 28 Card, I don't think so.

Christian is returning soon, well maybe. I don't think people even know if he'll be involved at WrestleMania.

The only way I see it being straight up Bryan vs Sheamus for the World Title is if:

1) Christian and Wade Barrett are thrown into the Money in the Bank Ladder Match if it does return.

2) If The Miz/Truth Rivalry ends before Mania or just loses steam, Truth can be added to The Money in the Bank while Orton feuds with The Miz.

Sheamus and Bryan are really great in ring competitors and can damn sure put on a WrestleMania Caliber Match. These guys aren't given the credit they deserve. Sheamus has really gotten over as a Babyface and Bryan's Heel Persona keeps growing and growing and I like it. I say keep Sheamus and Bryan for Mania. It should prove to be a great one on one match.

I don't about everybody else, but I just have that gut feeling that the World Heavyweight Championship won't be straight up one on one. They SHOULD, but I don't know if that's how it'll end up.

I feel as if Christian or Randy Orton will get involved somehow.

If Daniel Bryan is still champion when Wrestlemania rolls around then there's no chance it's a straight up one on one match. Orton will be thrown into the mix and possibly Barrett.

I just can't see DB vs. Sheamus as a Wrestlemania match on the same card as Rock vs. Cena, Punk vs. Jericho, Undertaker vs. Triple H. They'll need star power and I would be shocked if their second biggest star in the company is not involved in a title match.

The real question becomes, how do you put the belt on Orton and dump the feud with Barrett, in time to build up Sheamus vs. Orton? That's what makes me think that it could be Orton vs. Sheamus vs. Barrett. Although it kinda cheapens Sheamus's Royal Rumble win to put him in a Triple Threat, they might be forced to do it.

I could definitely see Christian walking out of the Elimination Chamber with the title. Thus being the one Sheamus challenges at Wrestlemania. They were in a feud when Christian got injured in a match against him. So they have a storyline with more history to work with right away going into Wrestlemania. Plus Christian has more star power then Bryan for a Wrestlemania title match.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see Bryan worked into the match making it a triple threat. I just don't see him going in as champion, or definitely not having a one on one match. If Christian or someone else wins the title before Wrestlemania. Then he could use the rematch clause to be added to the Wrestlemania match.

If Daniel Bryan is still champion when Wrestlemania rolls around then there's no chance it's a straight up one on one match. Orton will be thrown into the mix and possibly Barrett.

I just can't see DB vs. Sheamus as a Wrestlemania match on the same card as Rock vs. Cena, Punk vs. Jericho, Undertaker vs. Triple H. They'll need star power and I would be shocked if their second biggest star in the company is not involved in a title match.

The real question becomes, how do you put the belt on Orton and dump the feud with Barrett, in time to build up Sheamus vs. Orton? That's what makes me think that it could be Orton vs. Sheamus vs. Barrett. Although it kinda cheapens Sheamus's Royal Rumble win to put him in a Triple Threat, they might be forced to do it.

My thing is that there's no way Bryan won't not walk into Mania as the World Champion. They invested so much in him ever since he cashed in his MITB Briefcase. They've built him up so well as the World Champion that for the sake of his push, he HAS to be Champion, or at least involved in the World Title Match at Mania if he loses the belt at EC.

If they do go the route of a Multiple Man Championship match, the best way to go would be a Triple Threat with Orton, Bryan, and Sheamus. If they insist on putting Barrett, or Christian in, then they can make it a Fatal 4 Way with either Christian or Barrett getting a MITB spot.

Here's one way of thinking about.. and it may or may not be right according to some of you... but most of the time... the World Heavyweight title is secondary to the WWE title. Now let's look at WM 3 when Savage and Steamboat stole the show with the secondary title at the time the IC belt.

Bryan could very well go into Mania, and be expected to put on a classic match with whoever is chosen to face him...

People are talking about how they can't see Orton being left out of a title match, when he was last year. Orton is slowly becoming the WWE's next Undertaker or Big Show, this super unbeatable side-attraction superstar that doesn't need the belt, just someone to feud with. Which is what he did last year with Punk. Look at this year, Punk is the WWE Champ, and 25% of that could be due to Orton elevating him in last year's WM.

Anyhoo, back to WHC, I'm hoping Bryan is still champ and shows the WWE Universe what he is capable of if given the time, just like Randy and Steamboat did all those years ago.

That's my two cents.

With Rock vs Cena covering the buyrate end of things I'd love to see WWE give Bryan and Sheamus the chance to build a 6 week program and have a big title showdown on the grandest stage of them all, how else are these guys ever going to be seen as legit if they always need a veteran name in the match to hold their hands?

Having said all that I think Orton wins the title at the EC, Sheamus chooses to face Orton, Bryan exercises his rematch clause and it becomes a triple threat.

I really hope they do Bryan vs. Sheamus at WrestleMania. I've seen enough of Orton and Christian in the last year for the title.

In my opinion, the World title match at Mania NEEDS to be (not should be, NEEDS to be) Sheamus vs. Mark Henry, with Henry as the champion. I know it looks like he's going to be out of the title picture at Elimination Chamber, and he's been struggling with some injuries. But if there is ANY way they can make it happen, I think the Smackdown picture and the future of the WWE needs that match to take place. Here's why...

Sheamus is a true face. There's nothing overly complicated about him: he goes out, cuts funny/quirky promos, and beats up the big bad guys on principle. Mark Henry is a true heel. He goes out there, talks trash, and backs it up by destroying people and putting them into the "Hall of Pain". Those are about the truest characters you have right now on Smackdown, and that is a title match we need to happen. I love complicated guys like Jericho, Punk, etc., but I also love a simple feud of good vs evil!

There's no better way to put Sheamus over as the top face, than by having him topple Mark Henry at WrestleMania. Daniel Bryan is a great wrestler, but he's not going to draw the heat necessary to really get the job done. Put Orton into the match and you're immediately going to lessen Sheamus' face reaction on the grandest stage of them all... There's only one guy universally hated enough to do the job right now, and it's Mark Henry. Give him the title at Elimination Chamber (or shortly after it), and have him tare through the roster until Sheamus stops him. It's a simple feud, the two of them have a small history from ECW, and it's the easiest booking WWE is going to get for such a great payoff.

Sheamus is on the verge of being truly great. Right now his pop is on par with Randy Orton during just about every episode of Smackdown. On Monday he got about as good a reaction as CM Punk did for coming out at the beginning, and that wasn't even "his" crowd. All he needs is that big win for the title on a huge stage, over a really hated guy to do the trick. It would have perfect had Henry not lost the belt at all, but I'll take what I can get at this point.

Daniel Bryan is doing a tremendous job with the belt and getting over as a heel. He's hateable. I can see a multi-man at Mania. Even a DB vs Sheamus 1 on 1 wouldn't be bad. Although it lacks the star power you want to have in a match with 1 million viewers, a large % being a mix of fresh eyes and old eyes coming back. Maybe throw Orton, Barrett, Show, and Mark Henry in there. Course, that's sort of what EC is for. So who knows really, I'm intrigued, so many ways they can go with this.

With Rock vs Cena covering the buyrate end of things I'd love to see WWE give Bryan and Sheamus the chance to build a 6 week program and have a big title showdown on the grandest stage of them all, how else are these guys ever going to be seen as legit if they always need a veteran name in the match to hold their hands?

Having said all that I think Orton wins the title at the EC, Sheamus chooses to face Orton, Bryan exercises his rematch clause and it becomes a triple threat.
You don't understand, you don't use the vets to "hold their hands" you use them to establish credibility. It's a gauging thing, if you are in the ring with a guy who is seen as a star, that's how people gauge you. Stone Cold got the rub from Hart and Michaels, then basically everyone who went against Austin go the rub, etc. If Sheamus beats Bryan, as much as I like DB, it won't seem like a very big deal to most of the people watching the show.

Think of it like this, if I hit a 400 foot home run off some dude I found on the street, yea, that's impressive, 400 feet is a long way, but how good was my competition? Then I hit a 400 foot home run off Justin Verlander. Now you have a more complete picture of just how good I am. Was I just as good as before? Yes, but that wasn't the PERCEPTION.

I honestly think the World Heavyweight Championship should be multiple superstars on Smackdown. Maybe Bryan(c) vs Sheamus vs Barrett or maybe vs orton aswell. But an article on wz.com said something about the MITB this year at Mania being former world champs only? And had guys like ORTON?? Swagger, Christian, Del Rio, Kane, Henry etc..I dont really see orton in this but i kind of do. What does Orton really need to do at Mania besides hog the spot light again? I mean really lets be realistic. I think the triple threat would be good or a Sheamus vs Barrett(c).
Look i know WWE is trying to push bryan but he could lose at EC with Barrett becoming new champ. And bryan replacing someone in the MITB Match like henry(if still injured). And have barrett vs sheamus at Mania. But Sheamus should win and fued with Barrett on Smackdown for a good minute. Bryan can get drafted to RAW, because he's obviously proven to hang with guys on Smackdown. He could fued with guys on Raw like Punk, Jericho, Miz, John Cena, Mysterio etc. Being either FACE or HEEL, but that's just a suggesstion.

Of course, all signs point to Sheamus winning the World Heavyweight Championship at Wrestlemania XXVIII. For months; Sheamus' momentum has been going strong. Not only is he over, but he's arguably the most over Superstar on Smackdown not named Randy Orton. There's no way the WWE does not capitalize off the momentum Sheamus currently posses.

Sheamus is long overdue for a main event push on Smackdown. Before when he was apart of the Raw roster, I had my doubts. His in ring work was great, but he really had no reaction from the crowd; two WWE Championship reigns couldn't even fix that. However, since moving to Smackdown, Sheamus has been on a tear. He got over and still hasn't been used to his full potential just yet. His time is coming very soon.

With that said, Sheamus' opponent is still in question. With so many selections to choose from, I feel that Randy Orton is a strong possibility. Randy Orton's 2011 was phenomenal. His matches were consistent in how incredible they were. No matter the opponent, Orton's style meshed well. He's worked too damn hard to be pushed so far down the card on the single biggest show on WWE's calendar. Orton is Smackdown's biggest asset right now and he should definitely be used as a big role in the Smackdown portion of Wrestlemania XXVIII.

However, Randy Orton vs. Sheamus has been done before and they didn't exactly bring us a good match-up. That assures that there's a high possibility a third Superstar will be added to the match for the World Heavyweight Championship. Randy Orton and Sheamus with some heel thrown in. Wade Barrett and Christian both have had tremendous chemistry with Orton and Sheamus so it's likely either one. After Wrestlemania, I guarantee you Smackdown's main event scene will be dominated by Sheamus himself; like I said, all signs point to it. Regardless of his opponents, Sheamus will win the World Heavyweight Championship come Wrestlemania.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back