• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Woah Wyatt...

Pay Per Ghost

What they f*ck happened in the thread section here
According to live reports, the ring entrance for The Wyatt Family at recent WWE Live Events has seen the lights go out in the arena, the Wyatt vignette begins to play, Bray then asks the crowd if they "want to see something scary," the lights come up and the Family enters, with Erick Rowan wearing the goat mask.

Jizz.

Sheer jizz.

They did this at the house show I went to last night. Everyone around me was creeped out. The goat mask makes me feel so uncomfortable for some reason.

Good news. I figured it's one of those "you've got to see it" type deals. Hopefully it translates to TV. I'm sure with WWE's production/direction it'll look extra eerie.

were they pretty over? Did it rock pretty hard in person?

They didn't get much of an audible reaction. I mean no boos or anything. It just felt really creepy and all the kids around me seemed too scared to really react. I hope that makes sense. Even though there wasn't much of a pop, I still think the atmosphere they created was extremely effective.

They didn't get much of an audible reaction. I mean no boos or anything. It just felt really creepy and all the kids around me seemed too scared to really react. I hope that makes sense. Even though there wasn't much of a pop, I still think the atmosphere they created was extremely effective.

Stunned silence, awe perhaps. I haven't bought a ticket for when SmackDown comes to my town in a few weeks and was sort of debating whether or not to. I think I'll have to get one just in hopes of seeing the Wyatt Family for myself though. So, props to the Wyatt family, they've sold a ticket before they even debut on TV.

I remember that happening when Ted DiBiase introduced a new guy called The Undertaker.

I remember that happening when Ted DiBiase introduced a new guy called The Undertaker.

They had the same eerie feeling that the Undertaker used to have.

I think the better sign was that some of my friends went to the show, too, and one of the first things they talked about was how weird Wyatt was.

They had the same eerie feeling that the Undertaker used to have.

I think the better sign was that some of my friends went to the show, too, and one of the first things they talked about was how weird Wyatt was.

That's the encouraging thing about this gimmick-- it stands out. Villains in WWE during the PG era have fallen into stale archetypes by-and-large, so a character/stable that is so bizarre and unique is breath of fresh air. I'm sure your friends weren't the only ones who talked about the Wyatts on the ride home.

Glad they aren't being changed much. Makes me sad about The Ascension not making it to WWE TV now.

This is really cool and everything, but they're really over-hyping these guys. They're putting these guys in a bubble that's going to pop should ANYTHING happen to them, i.e. they lose a match.

This is really cool and everything, but they're really over-hyping these guys. They're putting these guys in a bubble that's going to pop should ANYTHING happen to them, i.e. they lose a match.

How? They're just showing vignettes. The fans and dirt sheet writers are more guilty of over-hype than WWE by a long shot. Fans are only setting themselves up for disappointment if they think these guys are going undefeated, though. I've got realistic expectations, I think, but it's a genuinely interesting group that merits a lot of discussion and attention. We haven't seen anything like the Wyatts in years.

Going by The Bearded One's description WWE are actually doing it better than I expected. It will be a debut worth watching.

Plus the Ascension is cool. Caught him a few days ago on NXT, that spot where he freezes and then counter attacks was nice.

How? They're just showing vignettes. The fans and dirt sheet writers are more guilty of over-hype than WWE by a long shot. Fans are only setting themselves up for disappointment if they think these guys are going undefeated, though. I've got realistic expectations, I think, but it's a genuinely interesting group that merits a lot of discussion and attention. We haven't seen anything like the Wyatts in years.

Creepy, mysterious vignettes are always going to generate a shit load more hype than vignettes like Kofi's or ADR's. Of course, a wrestling fan who has been through this whole song and dance many times before is going to have realistic expectations, but for the average fan who actually stops thinking about wrestling once the show is over? They're going to be expecting something bigger than the Wyatts can deliver.

Creepy, mysterious vignettes are always going to generate a shit load more hype than vignettes like Kofi's or ADR's. Of course, a wrestling fan who has been through this whole song and dance many times before is going to have realistic expectations, but for the average fan who actually stops thinking about wrestling once the show is over? They're going to be expecting something bigger than the Wyatts can deliver.

Fair enough. I think that the casual fan would see the vignettes and have more of a "what the hell did I just watch?" reaction than one that's along the lines of "these guys are going to be huge!" Again, I think it's the hardcores who actually have the misguided expectations.

Plus, casual fans aren't ruminating on them. Die hard fans are thinking about these guys a lot, which naturally will build up expectations. Think Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace. Add to that that casual fans are less likely to just abandon or turn on a gimmick if it isn't what they had built up in their minds. Hardcore, IWC-type fans will be the first ones to shit on the Wyatts if they don't live up to expectations.

Yes but they are carrying it after the vignettes too. Again The Bearded One's account is riveting.

They are proceeding well.

Fair enough. I think that the casual fan would see the vignettes and have more of a "what the hell did I just watch?" reaction than one that's along the lines of "these guys are going to be huge!" Again, I think it's the hardcores who actually have the misguided expectations.

Plus, casual fans aren't ruminating on them. Die hard fans are thinking about these guys a lot, which naturally will build up expectations. Think Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace. Add to that that casual fans are less likely to just abandon or turn on a gimmick if it isn't what they had built up in their minds. Hardcore, IWC-type fans will be the first ones to shit on the Wyatts if they don't live up to expectations.

It just seems to me that they're playing up the "what the hell did I just watch" in the same way that viral marketers play up some sort of ARG-esque marketing technique to generate interest in sheer curiosity alone, and I don't think anything the WWE has is going to live up to how hyped up someone can make themselves without some sort of big-name factor attached to it.

Then again, I think you make a great point. As a die-hard fan, I kind of tunnel-minded myself into thinking this is going to burst into a world of shit once they inevitably DON'T live up to my expectations. I don't know WHAT the average fan is thinking.

While I was typing this, I showed the vignettes to my girlfriend (a casual fan), and her response was, verbatim, "I don't know what's happening. Who are those guys?" "The Wyatt Family. Some new wrestlers." "Oh." Then she completely didn't care after that.

He kind of reminds me of De Niro's character in Cape Fear, Max Cady. That can't be anything but good.

That's partly what they based the character on.

Part Max Cady, part the inbreds from Wrong Turn, part Jim Jones/David Koresh/Warren Jeffs, and part Dusty Rhodes when he's between the ropes. Pretty much a charismatic Frankenstein Monster of ill-will that can move like he's 50 lbs lighter than he really is.

It just seems to me that they're playing up the "what the hell did I just watch" in the same way that viral marketers play up some sort of ARG-esque marketing technique to generate interest in sheer curiosity alone, and I don't think anything the WWE has is going to live up to how hyped up someone can make themselves without some sort of big-name factor attached to it.

Then again, I think you make a great point. As a die-hard fan, I kind of tunnel-minded myself into thinking this is going to burst into a world of shit once they inevitably DON'T live up to my expectations. I don't know WHAT the average fan is thinking.

While I was typing this, I showed the vignettes to my girlfriend (a casual fan), and her response was, verbatim, "I don't know what's happening. Who are those guys?" "The Wyatt Family. Some new wrestlers." "Oh." Then she completely didn't care after that.

I've had my doubts about the group for sure, I even thought the entrance sounded cheesy before TB1 broke it down and talked about the reaction. I also wouldn't be surprised if they're so disturbing that parents groups or sponsors pressure WWE to tone it down. They could just as easily end up following the Muhammad Hassan path rather than The Undertaker one. Casual fans are going to have to process this character and group a little harder than they normally would, while all of us may have to take our foot off of the gas pedal. As with anything in wrestling it can go either way; can't wait to find out for better or worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back