• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WM31 Done right (Rusev vs Bryan)

PeterSellersSTL

Getting Noticed By Management
Wrestlemania 31 should have featured Daniel Bryan vs Rusev instead of Cena vs Rusev.

Rusev and Lana have been on a tear since debuting April 7th 2014, rising ever since. In that time, Daniel Bryan won the WWE WHC and lost it due to injury sidelining him for the remainder of the year.

Rusev and Lana have been talking about how weak the USA is (a crippled Bryan) and how it has fallen (had to forfeit the Championship).

Fast forward to Salute to the Troops - who confronts Rusev? Daniel Bryan - Cena had every opportunity to confront Rusev throughout 2014 but never did.

Fast forward to the Royal Rumble who eliminates Daniel Bryan? Bray Wyatt (but Rusev attempted to just before he did). Why not just have Rusev eliminate Bryan, furthering his parallel narrative of the fall of America? I mean how did they setup Rusev vs Cena? Rusev interrupted Cena post Rumble and Cena felt insulted by it.

This could have been a great Wrestlemania feud and it would have been the right one for Daniel Bryan. He could have added the American Dragon gimmick I keep hearing about. Rusev would have been a great Goliath for Daniel Bryan. Bryan and Rusev both have military sounding themes - it would have been a great pairing.

Daniel Bryan chasing a rematch for the USA title would have been a great sequel to last year and they could have done yet another "hijack RAW" to do it. Daniel Bryan's fanbase loves to be interactive this would have given them an opportunity be so. Instead WWE turned Daniel Bryan and his fanbase into crybabies instead of the American Dragon.

Vince was looking out for his Golden Boy alright and that's still John Cena. John Cena vs Ziggler would have made more sense considering all that's happened since Survivor Series.

It is something I mentioned a long while ago, and I was all for it over the usual Roman vs Rusev match being proposed.

As you have pointed out, it had sort of a backstory setup and just needed execution at the Rumble to go forward.

However, it is now 'spilt milk' and we can all move on. Perhaps, Rusev goes over Cena at Mania and keeps the US title, whilst Bryan wins the IC title and the WWE can build towards a huge Midcard title unification match pitting IC Champion Daniel Bryan vs Undefeated US Champion Rusev at SummerSlam 2015.

Well I only realized it myself after reading a post in the spam section but you're right, what's done is done. The Ladder Match is going to be great regardless and Cena vs Rusev, obvious ending aside, should be a good match as well.

I'm still excited for Wrestlemania.

It's true, Rusev vs. Daniel Bryan would be an interesting series.....as it undoubtedly will be in the coming months, particularly if Daniel is able to win the IC belt at WM31.

But if the company really wants to put Rusev over in a big way, I believe he's facing the right opponent at the big event. Win or lose at WM31, Rusev's standing will be secured; it can be argued it is already after having beaten Cena at Fast Lane. Still, Wrestlemania is.......Wrestlemania. 'Nuff said.

But, you folks who have grown sick and tired of John Cena....remember: you didn't want him in the main event at WM31.....and he isn't. You also didn't want him involved in the chase for the world championship.....and he isn't. WWE management has seen the direction the public mood has been moving, and responded to it. Being at the absolute apex of the company has a shelf life; no matter who you are.

Just don't make the mistake of wishing Cena would take WM31 off or be placed in an insignificant match (Cena vs. Zack Ryder......loser buys the winner breakfast at the Merrick NY House of Pancakes!). Despite the boos, Cena still has plenty of people cheering for him and is still a big moneymaker for the company.

So while I think Daniel vs. Rusev will be a great show, those guys will still be here after WM31. Give it time.

Indeed, Daniel Bryan against Rusev at WM would have been a great thing to see. The crowd would be fully invested (as would those at home). But, the thing is, that isn't going to happen now (not at WM, at least), as It shall be Rusev against Cena. I honestly have no idea what they're trying to do with Bryan (arguably the most over fella on the roster). Are they trying to derail him by having other faces call him a "turd" (why)? Or do they plan to have him run with the IC title for a long period and bring a good amount of momentum back to the championship? We'll find out come WM, I suppose.

However, this could all end up working out better for everyone than what it seems. Bryan and the others will most definitely put on a tremendous ladder match, so not all is lost there. I originally wanted Ambrose to win it, but maybe having Bryan win it would be smarter in the long run. On top of this, have Rusev (cleanly, this time) beat Cena at WM. He'll still be the champion, and can continue going on winning his matches, as Bryan does the same with his IC title matches. Eventually, they come face-to-face, and work into a program for SummerSlam. This will need a good month or two build, which results in Bryan handing Rusev his first loss at SummerSlam in a unification match (BatiGol said it first, but it's a grand idea).

This way, Rusev looks amazingly strong (going undefeated until SS, after beating Cena twice, once at WM), and it keeps Bryan nice and over, as well (they do kind of owe him, as they're treating him much worse than he deserves). Also, Cena losing at WM wouldn't harm him in the least. But, most importantly, on top of all that, we'll finally have a *meaningful* secondary championship. If neither champion loses from WM to SS, and Bryan then goes on to continue defending the title, it would mean a lot for it. Especially having people gun for Bryan simply because he has this new championship. A unified championship would be infinitely more credible than the two belts are at the moment.

Generally speaking, I agree it probably would have been a more interesting feud. Bryan in David vs. Goliath type of situations has lead to great storylines and matches in the past, plus how many times have we seen John Cena being put into the role of hero? Seeing Bryan sorta step up for America would have a fresher feel to it because we've seen Cena being all about the troops, standing up for America, being all patriotic, etc. many times before.

At the same time, however, IF Rusev goes over Cena, thereby retaining the United States Championship at the biggest show of the year, then Rusev's stock as a heel skyrockets. Given that Cena lost last month in a way that kept Rusev looking strong while still protecting Cena, I think it's fair to say a majority of fans feel that Cena wins at WrestleMania because how often does Cena lose to the same guy two matches in a row? But IF Rusev ultimately comes out of his feud with Cena retaining his title and IF Daniel Bryan wins the Intercontinental Championship at WrestleMania, it MIGHT lead to something even more substantial than even Bryan vs. Rusev for the United States Championship at WrestleMania later on down the line, possibly for SummerSlam, maybe Hell in a Cell, Survivor Series or even TLC.

Rusev's been a good United States Champion and if the anyone on the roster who has the potential to return some genuine prestige to the Intercontinental Championship, it's the most over babyface on the roster. I think Bryan has a better shot of being booked as a strong champion than anyone else in the ladder match. Off & on for the past 1.5 years or so, there've been whispers, rumors and discussions of unifying the two mid-card titles and IF that idea ever came to light, it could be a hell of an opportunity for both men. If Rusev were to come out on top, he'd be going over the most over face WWE has had in years and unifying the Intercontinental and United States Championships. If Bryan were to come out on top, he'd also unify the titles and would be the first to hand Rusev a pinfall or submission loss

There are a few "ifs" and "mights" in there as it's all sorta wide open at this point. Another "might" as to why this match didn't seem to be considered is that WWE officials MIGHT have been unsure as to what the future held for Bryan. He was only cleared for action a few weeks before the Royal Rumble and in his long absence, certain ideas or plans had to be scrapped and other ones considered. Bryan was out of action for 8 or 9 months and he comes back right before WrestleMania season officially begins and given the nature of his injury, there had to be some genuine doubts and reluctance on the part of WWE officials as to how he would hold up.

Generally speaking, I agree it probably would have been a more interesting feud. Bryan in David vs. Goliath type of situations has lead to great storylines and matches in the past, plus how many times have we seen John Cena being put into the role of hero? Seeing Bryan sorta step up for America would have a fresher feel to it because we've seen Cena being all about the troops, standing up for America, being all patriotic, etc. many times before.

At the same time, however, IF Rusev goes over Cena, thereby retaining the United States Championship at the biggest show of the year, then Rusev's stock as a heel skyrockets. Given that Cena lost last month in a way that kept Rusev looking strong while still protecting Cena, I think it's fair to say a majority of fans feel that Cena wins at WrestleMania because how often does Cena lose to the same guy two matches in a row? But IF Rusev ultimately comes out of his feud with Cena retaining his title and IF Daniel Bryan wins the Intercontinental Championship at WrestleMania, it MIGHT lead to something even more substantial than even Bryan vs. Rusev for the United States Championship at WrestleMania later on down the line, possibly for SummerSlam, maybe Hell in a Cell, Survivor Series or even TLC.

Rusev's been a good United States Champion and if the anyone on the roster who has the potential to return some genuine prestige to the Intercontinental Championship, it's the most over babyface on the roster. I think Bryan has a better shot of being booked as a strong champion than anyone else in the ladder match. Off & on for the past 1.5 years or so, there've been whispers, rumors and discussions of unifying the two mid-card titles and IF that idea ever came to light, it could be a hell of an opportunity for both men. If Rusev were to come out on top, he'd be going over the most over face WWE has had in years and unifying the Intercontinental and United States Championships. If Bryan were to come out on top, he'd also unify the titles and would be the first to hand Rusev a pinfall or submission loss

There are a few "ifs" and "mights" in there as it's all sorta wide open at this point. Another "might" as to why this match didn't seem to be considered is that WWE officials MIGHT have been unsure as to what the future held for Bryan. He was only cleared for action a few weeks before the Royal Rumble and in his long absence, certain ideas or plans had to be scrapped and other ones considered. Bryan was out of action for 8 or 9 months and he comes back right before WrestleMania season officially begins and given the nature of his injury, there had to be some genuine doubts and reluctance on the part of WWE officials as to how he would hold up.

I have to disagree with this, Jack.

Whilst it might have been something that we haven't seen before, how does it make more sense for Daniel Bryan to stand for America over Cena? As you correctly pointed out, Cena is now known for being a user patriot who loves the troops with all of his patriotic heart. So much so that he wears a dog tag to the ring every night to symbolise how much he loves his country and the sacrifice that troops make to it. If anyone is going to slam the country of his birth then Cena has to be the first name of people's lips to come out and defend that country. It doesn't matter if Bryan would have been something different, it just doesn't make a lot of sense.

As far as a Bryan versus Rusev story goes, I'd really like to see that. And I definitely think that the WWE should look into that when Cena invariably goes over Rusev at WrestleMania. Bryan is so over at the moment that losing to Rusev would do his reputation and his credibility no damage whatsoever. Plus, it starts to build Rusev up again after the loss at Mania. And who better to put him over a merciless and dominating heel than Daniel Bryan? I definitely think that there is scope for that feud to happen and I would love to see it.

But if these two were to have a match at this Mania, then it should be with this gimmick that Cena and Rusev have going on. A David versus Goliath story works just fine without the need to tag on America's heart strings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back