WWE Fast Lane: WWE United States Championship - Rusev (c) VS John Cena

I think by making this match for the United States Championship, it's possible Cena wins just to get the belt off of Rusev to set him up for a run in the main event picture. Have Rusev come out and cut a promo to say he's happy to be rid of a belt that glorifies the United States and that he's got bigger goals in mind. This way it won't seem questionable that the match between him and Cena at WM isn't a rematch for the title, but more so to prove that Cena got "lucky" at Fast Lane and that he truly is a dominant superstar. Have him go over Cena at Wrestlemania instead of at Fast Lane, this way he'll still be relevant after an impressive, clean win at the biggest ppv of the year. To the WWE, it probably looks better on paper to have "The Face of the Company" go head-to-head with the "Undefeated, Bulgarian Brute" at Wrestlemania, but logistically speaking, if Rusev beats Cena at Fast Lane, what motive does Rusev have to face Cena again at WM?

There was a time when this matchup seemed like it was a given and I had always suspected Rusev was designed to be fed to Cena (now I'm not sure), but I'm surprised how bland this feud feels. About a year ago, Cena had a program with Bray and it was pretty stupid, but it was also really ambitious. It felt like Bray was stepping up and the feud felt important.

So far, nothing about the feud has really stood out. The bit with the flag was probably an accident (I doubt they'd have Cena do that after the Big Show controversy), but neither competitor seems all that interested in each-other. Rusev/Lana is just treating Cena like he's another American victim and not the biggest star they've faced by far (even Rollins, who is portrayed as more despicable, acknowledges that fighting Cena is a big deal).

Is it just me, or does Cena look really bored having to go against Rusev? When he was warning Rowan last night, he seemed unhappy and lethargic. Even when he cut a pretty solid promo last week, it was pretty lightweight compared to what he was throwing as Lesnar. What are the stakes? Is Cena going for the U.S belt? Even when he more-or-less verbally buried the belt last week? Rusev's 'streak' has been watered down by him beginning to play dirty and losing in non-conventional ways. They didn't have him go over Ryback, even though WWE doesn't appear to have any real direction for Ryback right now. He was tossed out by Reigns rather quickly during the finale of the Rumble and was underhanded in attacking Rowan on RAW. It doesn't seem like Rusev is stepping up as much as Cena is stepping down, so I can't blame him if he doesn't really want to waste time on this.

I suspect that their Fast Lane match will be indecisive, but I hope Rusev goes over Cena at Wrestlemania. He doesn't need that rub. If he wins, it will be a sour finish to what has been a very underwhelming feud. I also suspect these matches won't be particularly great as their body types seem to be at odds. Both tend to work best against big men or cruiser weights, but hopefully I'm wrong? But do you guys agree? Do you like how it's played out? What would you do differently? I personally would've had either

- Reigns bring down Rusev at wrestlemania, instead of winning the rumble.
- Bryan or Ziggler bring down Rusev at wrestlemania.
- Have Rusev burn the U.S belt and get the WHC before being challenged by Cena.

There is not much buildup to that feud. Just take a look,did they interact on this week's Raw. Yes, Cena warned Rowan but that didn't work. If they treat Cena as they treated Swagger then,this feud had been awesome. Rusev's best feud was IMO the Jack Swagger (in summer). That feud got the crowd going. Fans were in that feud. Only way,this feud can be saved is by having a great matchup at Fast Lane. There may be Plan B,they should have planned to build this feud more intense in Road to Wrestlemania.

It's because the John Cena burnout is so extreme that he's even stale in the mid-card now. I don't hate the guy. I respect him as a human and his mic skills are among the best of all time when he's "on"

The problem is as the OP suggested this feud has been lackluster from the get-go. It's likely because they never made it personal at all. Lana should have cut a promo calling John Cena "an American icon" and how glorious it will be when Rusev destroys a true American Hero. That sort of thing.

Another issue...and let's be honest, it's not just for this feud...is the death of Kayfabe. There is a certain segment of the crowd who will boo John Cena no matter what. He could facing the single most deplorable heel of all time and he would still get booed. The whole Rusev vs. America angle only works with a guy the crowd can get behind. Cena just isn't that guy anymore.

I agree with the Cena burnout, but it's also because this isn't his feud, or one he should be in.

If the truth be told, this is a feud built for Roman Reigns. Cena doesn't need the accolade (no pun intended) of beating Rusev, Reigns could use that. What a better opponent to help get Reigns over again than Rusev. They could even use the fact that Rusev tried to attack the Rock and this is Reigns getting revenge for his cousin.

There would also be nothing wrong with Reigns holding the US title for a few months and getting that experience under his belt (again no pun intended) before going on to bigger and better things. Let Daniel Bryan take the belt off Lesnar, let him continue his title reign that was cut short. Get that over and done with so everyone can move on.

His fans would be happy, Reigns fans would be happy that he has a title is getting the experience that he needs. Also he would be in a meaningful feud with someone other than Big Show.

The problem with the WWE right now is that they have a lot of talent but they are heading them off in the wrong directions. I mean crap just look at Orton, he's being held back because there is simply nothing for him to do right now.

I actually don't think Cena's Rusev feud should resemble Swagger's. When you think about it, Rusev's storylines keep getting bigger and bigger. Each feud brought out more from him.

Big E was his first challenge. Swagger took him the extra mile and we learned that while Rusev was stronger, he was vulnerable. Rusev's psychology and ability to sell really stood out. Mark Henry should that Rusev can get frustrated and be petty, but it also showed he was smart. He found a weakness in Henry and exploited it. Big Show frustrated Rusev to the point where he started talking. Show also seemed like he could beat Rusev, easily dominating him during their first Smackdown encounter. Yet Rusev seemed stronger in each match, reinforcing that he's finding flaws in his opponents.

Survivor Series showed that he can be a sell out, but at the same time isn't particularly thrilled about it (didn't he mock Steph in Russian?). When Triple H wanted him to take Ziggler out, Rusev seemed uncomfortable and hesitant and it backfired. Rusev might be a villain, but these kinds of tactics are foreign to him. Unfortunately, after this they started writing Rusev as a conventional villain, using dirty tactics to get the best of his enemies. I wonder if it's because some people complained about Rusev coming across as too sympathetic?

But Cena should be a big step forward, when we learn everything we need to know about the Bulgarian Brute. Will he start to adopt desperate tactics like Rollins in order to overcome Cena? That should be the big question, but instead I'm asking myself: "Will Cena bother waking up?".

Here's a curious question concerning the Feud, especially given how likely it'll stretch to Wrestlemania; would it be best if Rusev turned Face at the end of it?

I don't mean the traditional cheering Cena's opponents tend to get even though they are perceived as bad guys in the plot. I mean if said scripting legitly had Rusev being won over by the good side, whether by Cena or by his own devices- though probably more by Cena because that's the nature of this beast.

The concept can fit regardless of who wins at Fast Lane- though it DOES require an equal record at the end or at least leading up to Extreme Rules- mainly that John Cena is unlike any All-American thrown in the way of Rusev. He's supposed to represent the BEST of what this country is about (gag if you want, if they do this that's how it'll be done) and is more than willing to show the Russian that. More importantly, he also doesn't- or will shortly cease to- resort to jingoistic means or backstabbing or any other 'villainous' measures Rusev's opponents have exercised in the past. He meets the Russian head on at Fast Lane, and after the end of the match, no matter the outcome... he starts to turn Rusev.

What do I mean? Whether Cena wins or loses(personally, I want him passing out in the Accolade because I don't see him taking a loss at WM regardless), his will to fight should deeply impress Rusev on a personal level. Enough to make him want another shot, this time so much more honest and up front. Nothing to do with smearing each other's customs, nothing to do with cheap gags and sneak-theivery and all the crud that clutters up feuds. You just want two men who want the best of each other, a Face-Face confrontation, in spirit if not in actual name. Lana would probably not be on board with this, if only because that gives Rusev someone to turn against after the WM Match in other to emphasize that he's joined the good guys. And down the road it sets up Lana finding new clients to turn heel and sic on Rusev in the process.

I find it better storytelling than the typical 'Russians Bad, Rusev Crush, Overcome the Odds, AA, 1-2-3, Done' shtick we'll probably see. Problem is, I don't know whether better storytelling in this case means better business.

Thoughts?

I think the big problem for this match is the payoff for Rusev, where does he go if he does beat Cena? If he does get a clean win over Cena the only thing that might happen is hes thrown into a rematch with Cena at WM31 where you know he'll finally lose to Cena.

The Cena and Rusev match should of been after WM31, then they could have Rusev defeat Cena and his payoff would be a shot at the WWE title. Instead its just not going to have any big payoff because of it being just before WM31. Just the way I see it anyway.

I think this is a great opportunity to really create a monster within Rusev. Fast Lane match ends by DQ or no contest, hell maybe even Ref stops the match due to Cena passing out to the Acolade. However, Mania when it counts, Rusev needs a clean win over Cena. John Cena is an established star. His main purpose now is to put on great matches with up and coming stars and help get them over when it counts. Bray Wyatt should of won at last years WM and they dropped the ball on that. They have done great at building up Rusev and they need to go all the way with him.

I would love to see a 'run in' here at Fast Lane where Cena is brutally destroyed by Rusev and some 'Russian' lackies. Then at Mania - the real american Hulk Hogan can return and aid Cena in a tag match against Rusev and his friends.

I have no issue with Hogan returning to the ring. I am not wrestling snob who wants to see chain wrestling, spot monkeys etc. Get grandpa back in the ring just one last time.

Rusev gets the clean win first, then Cena starts to doubt himself. Hogan comes to give Cena some encouragement. Cena then earns another title shot at Rusev. Later on we see Hogan training Cena to defeat Rusev at Mania. Hogan manages Cena though the fight at Mania. After a hard fought fight that takes both men to their limits, Cena ends up victorious. They could actually go the Rocky route with this one. They could sell it like a big fight. Rusev should beat Cena clean at Fastlane.

Alright, this isn't a Cena bashing thread. I'm not a fan of his, he needs to change up his character because it's repetitive, but I tend to be neutral towards him. I watch with interest when he is in the main event (for the past number of years), and no matter how "boring" his promos or how "repetitive" his matches are, I feel like I have to watch what he is doing, because he is in the main event.

But right now, we are in a different scenario, aren't we? John Cena is away from the main event. He is in a feud with Rusev for the US Title, which is the upper mid-card, if my term is correct. WWE always brands Cena as the most polarizing Superstar etc, but the thing is, I'm having a hard time paying attention to his feud right now. And I don't think that Rusev is the problem.

Where I'm trying to get to it that Cena is being on top for so long and he is getting such a reaction and people are paying attention, no matter what the IWC says, because he is in the main event. He is supposed to be in the most important storyline, with the highest stakes etc. But when he is not, is he really so polarazing?

As I said above, when he was in the main event, I might not really like him, but I paid attention, because that's the "big time". Now that he is in the mid card, where the stakes aren't that high, I'm not really hyped.

Is John Cena the #1 guy for so long simply because he "was stayed" on top for so long? Or is he legitly so good? I don't really know. If he was that good, he would be able to take this mid-card program and turn it into a main event. But to me, it isn't. I can't find interest to it. Maybe the whole Rusev/anti-America thing got old. I don't know. Bottom line is, and that might come as bashing even though at the beginning I said this isn't a bashing thread, Cena is probably one of the most popular Superstars, not because of his personal talent, but more because of the top-tier booking he has been receiving all these years.

It wouldn't surprise me, if the match doesn't happen. Rusev is a rarity, when you look at the big picture. WWE has put a lot of effort and time into Rusev, his character, the streak, and the USA VS Russia storyline with a consistent and steady build. The end to Rusev's streak is a Wrestelmania worthy match/moment, and I can't imagine WWE ending Rusev's undefeated run on a stepping stone/B-show pay per view.

I can see two possible scenarios, with Rusev attacking Cena before the match starts. Cena is no condition to compete, and they call off the match. That, or Rusev uses the belt or another weapon for the DQ in the first two or three minutes.

This match more than anything else has to represent a challenge to Vince; does he want to create a star in Rusev or is he strictly obsessed with furthering Cena's "legacy"?

20150126_EP_LIGHT_fastlane-matches-HP_rusevcena.jpg

Well, hell just froze over. I'm excited for a Rusev match. I guess you can think John Cena for that. He's always been great at hyping up an upcoming match. So, rarely do I ever do this, but I'm going with a DQ finish here as my prediction. Cena winning the US Championship would be huge for the belt, arguably the best thing to happen to it in the past decade, but I don't see them doing that here. Plus it could completely de-rail Rusev. I predict it goes on toward the end of the evening, 5th match or so on the card. Cena should be able to get a tolerable match out of Rusev before we end up with a complicated DQ finish to where Rusev retains. The feud may very well extend into Wrestlemania.

DAGGER'S PREDICTION
Rusev will still leave as US Champion.

Well this became really interesting with the US title on the line. It makes it really really interesting indeed, I'm not sure who or how is going to win. All I can say is that this match can't be a one hit wonder, it has to continue at Mania. Maybe we are going to see a dirty finish where Rusev saves his title by a DQ or a count out where Cena is about to enter the ring at the 10 count etc... It's going to be an interesting match.

This is the match that is most up in the air on the entire card. And is probably the match that I am looking forward to the most in actual fact. With the added incentive of the US title here, it doesn't really make for a match that one can predict very easily.

That said, I have been enjoying the build up to this feud. It is time that Cena starts to put the younger talent over and actually playing the role that he should have been for the last two years, His time as WWE Champion is all but coming to an end, hopefully. Don't get me wrong, I am more than sure he will be the WWE Champion once again but he should be putting over Rusev tonight. Rusev has been doing well recently and I have enjoyed watching his dynamic with John.

Tonight, I fully expect Rusev to win in a dirty finish. Or Cena will win via DQ. Either way, this match should be one of the most entertaining matches on the full card. Cena and Rusev are more than capable of putting on a good show and it will have a huge impact on the WWE no matter the result.

Dave's prediction:
Cena wins via DQ

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back