WM 29: Triple H (w/HBK) vs. Brock Lesnar [No Holds Barred / HHH's Career on the Line]

You have two really good workers in this match, A good story, one good stipulation and one bad stipulation. HHH is excellent in no holds barred environments and I have confidence in Brock, however the second stipulation of Helmsley's career on the line makes it a bit predictable. With everything on the line and trips becoming less active in front of the camera I see Brock getting the win here. I can be wrong though and the feud may last a little bit longer with a win from the cerebral assassin, Either way we're in for a really good match here.

My problem with the stipulation is that Triple H cut a promo saying he was hanging up the boots after his match with Lesnar in August. If Triple H didn't care about not wrestling again last year, why should he care this time? This is just another example of WWE's severe lack of continuity.

^ well didn't Triple H say his motivation for coming back was to avenge McMahon (who got his hip broken by Brock)

predictable stipulation aside (career on the line) am I the only one who feels the ambiguity of career could mean Triple H's front office job and NOT his ring career

**then again I'd have a hard time seeing this feud continue if Lesnar were to win at WM 29 and go up 2-0 on Triple H

This stipulation seemingly removes any sort of doubt from the outcome. Only it doesn't really. Stipulations like this are worthless. Triple H will lose, have his "WrestleMania" moment where he sits shocked in the wring for an overly long time and then slowly walks up the ramp. Completely overshadowing Lesnar and his victory.

I predict an apethetic response. As soon as Triple H loses people will automatically assume he'll be back at some point. Also some of the smarter fans will resent him when they realise that the ten minutes from him being pinned until he goes behind the curtain is the reason a match like DelRio/Swagger, Ryback/Henry or whatever only lasted 30 seconds.

This stipulation seemingly removes any sort of doubt from the outcome. Only it doesn't really. Stipulations like this are worthless. Triple H will lose, have his "WrestleMania" moment where he sits shocked in the wring for an overly long time and then slowly walks up the ramp. Completely overshadowing Lesnar and his victory.

I predict an apethetic response. As soon as Triple H loses people will automatically assume he'll be back at some point. Also some of the smarter fans will resent him when they realise that the ten minutes from him being pinned until he goes behind the curtain is the reason a match like DelRio/Swagger, Ryback/Henry or whatever only lasted 30 seconds.

Or Triple H comes out with a victory, thereby avenging himself for Lesnar "breaking" his arm twice in 2012 and for "breaking" his father-in-law's hip.

I recall a lot of people thought Lesnar would lose to Trips at SummerSlam last year instead of scoring a decisive, submission win.

Given Triple H's situation as both a wrestler and executive, there's enough to create uncertainty as to what the outcome of this match will be. Everyone knows that Triple H is all but finished with wrestling as a wrestler, and has been for a few years now. Everyone also knows that Triple H will step away completely at some point to take over the company. At the same time, everyone knows that Vince isn't stepping away anytime soon, Triple H is still in great shape and probably has 1 or 2 more WM money matches left in him.

Stipulations like this are worthless in most cases, but not all. For Taker vs. HBK II at WM 26, I think that most people knew, deep down, that HBK wouldn't beat Taker, thus making it his final match. Here we are now, 3 years later. HBK is 3 years closer to being age 50 and he hasn't laced up his boots. Trips is someone, like HBK, that's done it all and has done it all in a company where there's money to be made. It's not quite the same as with, say, Terry Funk having had about 20 retirement matches only to come back out of retirement 3 months later to wrestle at some indy show in front of 150people. If Triple H loses, then I do personally believe he's done as a wrestler. With Taker vs. HBK, the outcome was more certain than here I think. Even though people pretty much knew the outcome of the story, that didn't keep them from enjoying watching how the story unfolded.

My problem with the stipulation is that Triple H cut a promo saying he was hanging up the boots after his match with Lesnar in August.

Besides, if there's anyone in the company who can reinstate Triple H if he loses, it's......Paul Levesque. So, he has nothing at all at stake, right? In real life, he performs in the ring only twice a year anyway.....and if a future scenario calls for him to wrestle again, you know damn well he will.

When provoked, isn't it interesting how Triple H transforms from a well-groomed, $600 suit wearing executive into the roughneck he used to be? When Paul Heyman suggested making an "ownership of Stephanie" stipulation, I thought Trips was gonna go nuts. But why? As a level-headed corporate executive, isn't that the type of "diss" he would disregard? As a Pier 6 brawler, though, he would react as he did. I kinda wish those were the stakes in this one. If Brock won, he might force a three-way with himself, Stephanie and Sable. On PPV, of course.

I don't really care about the stipulations. As proven already, there are very few performers in WWE who would make an effective opponent for Brock Lesnar, and Triple H is right up there with the best. I just want to see the match.

They shouldn't have made this only a career ending match for Triple H. They should have made it a career ending match for both. Then when Lesnar loses, his "career would be over" only to be re-signed by someone working against Trips (Vickie, Heyman, Stephanie McMahon, Vince, whoever) just in time for him to wrestle at Summer Slam. That way he continue the feud with Trips plus you have a "power struggle" storyline again.

I liked the last segment, it was basically the mirror image of what Stephanie did to Heyman before SS to get him to agree to put Lesnar in a match with HHH the first time. What I am struggling with is the "Career" stipulation. Like someone said above me, "What "Career" are we talking about?" It is easy to assume wrestling but HHH is practically retired from wrestling as it is and being the COO is clearly his current "Career". Plus I don't know if I am more burnt out retirement matches (The Streak is basically a retirement match for UT) or power on the line matches. Either way the WWE has two weeks to get me invested in the stip so I'm not giving up yet.

I have no idea who is going to win this match. HHH may be done wrestling or we may have a power story to look forward to or HHH may want to get his win over Lesnar back. I am surprised we haven't seen Michaels so far. I hope he shows his face the last two weeks. The guy always make things seem larger. I also hope that no matter what HHH gives Punk the chance to get a win over him. I think Punk could use it. Maybe Brock beats HHH forcing in-ring retirement and then Punk pursuades Heyman and Lesnar to let Punk have one more chance to avenge his loss to HHH.

I am rambling but that is a good sign since it means I am invested. This is bound to be kind of slow but brutal and most importantly entertaining match. I hope and expect it will go on in the same spot UT/HHH went on at WM28.

I liked the last segment, it was basically the mirror image of what Stephanie did to Heyman before SS to get him to agree to put Lesnar in a match with HHH the first time. What I am struggling with is the "Career" stipulation. Like someone said above me, "What "Career" are we talking about?" It is easy to assume wrestling but HHH is practically retired from wrestling as it is and being the COO is clearly his current "Career". Plus I don't know if I am more burnt out retirement matches (The Streak is basically a retirement match for UT) or power on the line matches. Either way the WWE has two weeks to get me invested in the stip so I'm not giving up yet.

I have no idea who is going to win this match. HHH may be done wrestling or we may have a power story to look forward to or HHH may want to get his win over Lesnar back. I am surprised we haven't seen Michaels so far. I hope he shows his face the last two weeks. The guy always make things seem larger. I also hope that no matter what HHH gives Punk the chance to get a win over him. I think Punk could use it. Maybe Brock beats HHH forcing in-ring retirement and then Punk pursuades Heyman and Lesnar to let Punk have one more chance to avenge his loss to HHH.

I am rambling but that is a good sign since it means I am invested. This is bound to be kind of slow but brutal and most importantly entertaining match. I hope and expect it will go on in the same spot UT/HHH went on at WM28.

I actually think the stipulation makes it more interesting. I wanted HIAC but we are not seeing it. I thought HHH would win beforehand and I still do but the stipulation just makes me think there is something else planned. This way, HHH's win just seems more dramatic and the tension will be much higher during the match.

I really can't see HHH having his last match at WM29. He is still able to put on a match and is will be involved in the company for the next few years. No matter what happens, win or loose, I think HHH still wrestles after this match.

I know we all expect a heel turn at WM29. Most people think its Orton or Cena. I see a possibilities coming out of this match though. HBK tries to kick Brock, nails HHH instead. They can turn HHH at that point or do a slow build leadng to next year, but HHH turns heel and states that even though he is retired, since HBK was forced to retire too, they are able to face eachother in a match.

We could also see an HBK turn too, but heel HBK, I do not think the fans will buy it.

The stipulation makes me edge towards HHH. He is going to be with the WWE for life. he is literally married into it. no dq means HBK will get an arm broken or land a super kick. brock won't commit time to the wwe, why give him hhh's career? The stipulation kinds ruins the match for me. i do expect it to be very intense nonetheless

This match can be interesting. We all know what it's going to be, a more violent, brutal version of their match at Summerslam. This is probably the match where you'll see some blood shed. It is amazing how a match that I had zero interest in seeing was saved by two guys beating the shit out of each other, and one getting busted open the hard way. Blood use right can sell the shit out of a match.

Paul Heyman and his mic work has given this feud some much needed life. Heyman trolling Triple H constantly with Stephanie has been classic Heyman stuff. On the flip side, what the hell is the purpose of Shawn Michaels in this match. Yes, I know the smarktacular response he'll get in NYC will please the masses, but he is basically a wallflower.

My Pick: I'm hoping Lesnar wins this thing. It serves no purpose in having the Game win this match. If Lesnar is going to be a force for the next several years, you can't have him lose to a 40 year old part time. It's time for Triple H to move on, get his HoF recognition next year, and let Lesnar be the new face of brutality in the WWE.

I'm picking Lesnar here for the simple fact that it makes no sense to put Triple H over. First of all, the retirement stipulation is stupid -- Triple H wrestles a few times a year, he's already semi-retired -- and second of all, Lesnar is going to serve much more of a purpose (as an in-ring performer) over the next few years for the WWE. It just seems to me like WWE decided that they needed to make this match personal, so they started tacking on a bunch of unnecessary stuff in the hopes that it could drum up some interest. It makes no sense, considering that this match was always going to be overshadowed by Rock/Cena and Punk/Undertaker, but whatever.

I'm not positive Lesnar will win, only because Triple H could still be a valuable draw come WrestleMania-time for a few more years, but I'm definitely leaning toward Lesnar. Shawn Michaels' involvement in the match it a little annoying -- Triple H doesn't need him in his corner every year, even though Lesnar did attack HBK -- but I think there's a possibility he may play a bigger role than we thought he would. I keep hearing talk of Michaels costing HHH the match -- nothing new, people have been speculating about HBK's involvement for a while -- but I'm starting to buy into it a bjt as 'Mania nears. WWE loves to protect Triple H, just as they always have -- why not make his loss to Lesnar seem less legitimate and try to milk him one last time for WrestleMania? I can see HBK hitting HHH with a super kick (accident, on purpose, whatever) and them setting up a year-long build to a retirement match for both at WrestleMania 30. It's pretty ridiculous and there's little chance of it happening, but WWE wants to make WM 30 more spectacular than any WM before -- HBK/HHH would certainly add to that.

Lesnar should win this, though.

Would have been better if they didnt advertise Michaels..unless they have a greater purpose for him like turning heel. That wouldnt make sense though since Shawn is retired. Shawn is way too proud to go back on his word.

A surprise superkick from HBK out of nowhere would have been much sweeter. Damn you Vince for having to advertise everything for the $$$. Whatever happened to: "Anything can happen in the WWE"??

I don't buy into the retirement stipulation at all. Lesnar will probably win, he benefits more from it than Triple H would. With that being said, this doesn't make sense as a potential final match for Triple H. At all. Granted Michaels probably can't come out of retirement to do a final angle with his friend, but it just seems like there could be better options out there for who could "end his career". I never take that seriously anymore. How many times has someone said the words "I am going to end your career" and then actually DONE it? The wrestler who "retires" due to a loss almost always comes back.

Anyways. Should be an ok match. I think it will go on around the middle but leaning toward the later half of the night. Lesnar and Trips have plenty of options now that this is a No Holds Barred match. Michaels can get involved without having to actually work a match, weapons might be used, any of a number of things can and most likely will happen. I've got somewhat high expectations from it and I think it will be better than their Summerslam match. Trips doesn't gain much from winning even if he supposedly has to "retire" if he loses. He only works a few matches during the year anyhow. Lesnar benefits more from the win so I think he will end up defeating Trips in the match. He needs to remain dominant in his booking. It doesn't matter much to me who Lesnar feuds with next, I'm just ready for this Trips angle to end.... and Trips WILL come back whether he wins this match or not. The retirement stipulation is not necessary.

DAGGER'S PREDICTION
Brock Lesnar will defeat Triple H.

I'm picking Lesnar here for the simple fact that it makes no sense to put Triple H over.

That's true, there's no reason at all. Trips wrestles seldom enough that no retirement stipulation.....or any other type of stipulation.....really effects him. When it's said that WWE protects him; really, it's him protecting himself since he makes the calls as far as what his character does. That he allows himself to lose at all shows he's willing to put the company's best interests ahead of his own ego.

Meanwhile, Brock needs the win more, if he's to continue as a WWE employee (which can't be presumed, can it?) Last year, unless I missed something, he wrestled only twice, finishing his glorious year with a record of 1-1.

Meh. A monster like him should have more wins before losing for the first time; instead, Brock lost his first match to John Cena. Although I liked the result, it seemed an odd way of putting Brock over as an indestructible force.

Figure Brock wins this.....and ends for all time his rivalry against Triple H.

Done & dusted.

I'm a huge fan of Lesnar and HBK is my favourtie wrestler of all time but I can't stand Triple H and have no real interest in this match. The logic from a booking standpoint is that the killer MMA fighter who is supposed to be a Terminator style beast should end the career of the COO who is 44 in a few months.

However Batista is the only guy to beat Triple H and not end up bowing to Triple H's "gotta get my win back!" motto. Lesnar won at Summerslam, has broken Triple H's arm twice, broken HBK's arm once and beat up his father in law, all the while Heyman has insulted his wife, I don't see Triple H losing here.

My only hope is that HBK helps HHH win with a superkick/Pedigree on the metal steps combo so Lesnar's lame W-1 L-2 record has some excuses. I certainly hope nothing goes on with HBK vs HHH, two retired guys coming out of retirement for a retirement match at Mania 30 is the height of stupidity.

In a logical world beating Lesnar should be as rare as it gets and used as a way to really propel a guy who is a regular roster member who has main event quality, Triple H beating him is like Apollo Creed beating Ivan Drago, but my money is still on old shovel schnoz.

I know their really emphasising the fact that HHH's friends have all lost when it came to career threatening matches at Mania and that Triple H could be next but I doubt that. I feel it's a way to make the match less predictable and draw more interested from people who will be wondering if HHH will retire or not. I'm going with HHH in this one and I go into detail about the reasoning in my prediction video/simulation
[youtube]Fc4itu4PfXc[/youtube]

I'm going to go with Brock Lesnar for the win. In recent years Trips has been teasing his in-ring retirement, and rightfully so he's busy with the behind-the scenes stuff. We'll still see Triple H here and there but not in an in-ring capacity. I heard that not only the mcmahons and HBK will be present for this match but also Triple H's family (the leveques sp?) Perhaps maybe to witness his last match. He is in his mid 40s after all. It seems like a performer retires after mania, almost every year. Ric Flair, HBK, Edge, perhaps Trips and I'm sure Taker will after a future Mania. Yes I'll go with Brock for the win.

I gotta be honest, like many at first when it was only rumors, I was completely against a rematch between Triple H and Brock Lesnar. However, now with Punk/Taker and the Shield's match, I am excited for this one. It is going to be one hell of a brawl, probably involving blood and a total chaos.

Like many said, Triple H lost against Lesnar whom broke his arm not once, but twice. Lesnar broke also Triple H's best friend's arm and beat the crap out of his father-in-law. What the hell makes you think that Triple H isn't going to win? I know that Triple H doesn't gain anything from beating Brock but it is simple wrestling booking. The face needs his revenge.

I'm hoping for a great match, a very physical and brutal match involving weapons, fists, submissions moves, a table and even blood. It's going to be awesome.

Triple H has this one.

A theory just came to mind here. If HHH loses, it could actually lead to quite the Wrestlemania moment. Brock and Heyman limp off after they barely pull out the match. HHH can barely get to his feet if at all and the crowd starts to realize this is "supposedly" the last time we see HHH. Then Stephanie comes out when HHH is nearly half dead to help him to his feet. A lot like Elizabeth at WM 7 with Macho man and Warrior.

That is the thing about these retirement matches. They allow for the person who loses to still have a huge moment after the loss. In my opinion, the best way to play this out and a bigger moment would be HHH losing. It would bring people to tears even though he will probably wrestle again in the future. It will still be really emotional in a good way... Stephanie coming out would be icing on the cake.

This is the match I'm looking forward to the most.

If Shawn Michaels is Mr. WrestleMania then Triple H is the vice president in the last decade. Every year (exempting 25 with Orton, that match was atrocious despite the epic build and maybe 18 with Jericho) Triple H delivers at this event. The past two years at Mania he told great stories with The Undertaker, before that he had a good match with Sheamus that made him look like a million bucks, hes had matches with some of the best in the business at Mania and this year is no different. Story has been told brilliantly and now it's either time for The Game's revenge or its end.

Brock Lesnar is a beast. I'm a self-admitted mark for Lesnar. He left WWE for eight years, came back and just went into full throttle. His match with Cena was one of the most unique matches in history, his match with Triple H was methodical and slightly disturbing to watch. People can argue about Brock's "love of the business" all they want, he always shows up to the big event.

I expect a war between these two. If Triple H's career is to end (even if he loses he'll be coming out of retirement in about a year anyway) it couldn't end to a more destructive force than Brock Lesnar. The story is built for Hunter to get his revenge by defeating the beast at the biggest show of them all, but whether Brock wins or Hunter wins I'm not too caring, should be a great fight between Lesnar and Triple H.

I think the rumors/conspiracy theories of an HBK heel turn are pure bullshit......but it makes you wonder. Why is Shawn at ringside? I mean, this is Triple H. A bad-ass, cold-hearted assassin, who will destroy anything in his path. Does he really need Shawn's support that bad? Character wise, Shawn is more emotionally fragile, so I could understand if they did something like this at Mania 26, but Triple H is a mean bastard, who rarely shows a soft side. In all honesty, I think Shawn is just there to keep an eye on Heyman. If Heyman tries anything slick, Shawn will be there with a superkick to knock him down.

Shawn COULD help Triple H win the match, because it's No Holds Barred. Then of course, Triple H would take offense to it. You know, being the proud veteran. But IF WWE plans on doing some sort of heel turn to set up a match between Triple H and Shawn, I hope they choose HHH for the heel role. HHH is the better heel hands down, and I honestly can't picture Shawn pulling off the bad guy role now.

But yeah, I hope Shawn is just there to keep Heyman in line, so he doesn't pull anything to help Brock. I really, really, really don't want to sit through another Triple H VS Shawn feud. They already ran through a good amount of gimmick matches together, and the "who's better, and who needs who" tagline was done to death years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back