Will Vince Make Yet Another Attempt At Sting?

closet_fan

Mid-Card Championship Winner
It's been widely known that Sting and the WWE had communications about a possible match involving the Undertaker last year. Sting himself said he was really close to finally jumping in the WWE ocean, but talks fell apart.

With Sting's current TNA IW contract set to expire at the end of 2012, will we start hearing whispers, again, of Vince trying to lure Sting for that Wrestlemania payday?

I'd like to say that I don't condone Sting coming in. I have seen a couple of his TNA matches, specifically against Flair, and he's lost a lot of his luster since his hayday in WCW. Not saying he couldn't put on a good match against UT. But he would have to do a lot of training between him signing and the actual WM date.

I know many would rather someone younger come in, even if they couldn't beat him. But in the end, it's about money and buys. Vince sees $$$ when he thinks of the possible dream match with Sting/Undertaker.

I still don't get why Taker/Sting is a dream match? They won't have Sting end the streak, so you've already telegraphed the finish and why bring the guy in just to have him put Taker over? For it to work they'd need to turn Taker heel (Sting can't be a heel, it dosen't work) and considering Taker's reduced schedule I don't see a character reboot any time soon.

To me Sting/HHH was always a much better fit, Sting has a great heel to stand against, Trips is younger than Taker so he should be able to protect Sting in the ring...not saying Sting needs protecting, the guy can still go (on a one off basis) but imo it'd give us a better wrestling match.

Sting's "crow" character was based on the idea that WCW turned it's back on Sting and he came back as a "dark avenger" of sorts to try and destroy the nWo like they destoryed him. Taker's character is a dead guy with weird mystical powers..stylistically, I don't see the link...

I still don't get why Taker/Sting is a dream match? They won't have Sting end the streak, so you've already telegraphed the finish and why bring the guy in just to have him put Taker over? For it to work they'd need to turn Taker heel (Sting can't be a heel, it dosen't work) and considering Taker's reduced schedule I don't see a character reboot any time soon.

Neither HHH or UT were heels and the match worked. In the right program, both can remain faces.

And as far as dream matches, I am sure Vince still thinks it is. And I am sure that there are a lot of people who would buy the PPV just to see it.

As far as the match itself, I'm not sure how good it would be..

Doubtful that he'll ever agree at this point. As time passes fan's lose belief, Sting loses interest, WWE loses interest and they age.

Besides what's people's obssesion with seeing him jump to the WWE if he's not gonna do much? You actually believe if he signs he gonna have all these feuds with everybody and their mother in a small timeframe? Cause I don't.

didn't Sting just renew his contract with TNA? could be wrong but i'm pretty sure he did.

Anyway, if Sting did go to WWE, having just got and lose to Taker would be pointless. I like many have this "dream match" but, not at mania when Sting is gonna lose. It would ruin the entire signing of the icon.

I wouldn't object to see him feud with Cena, Miz, Del Rio, or maybe Ziggler though. But i don't ever see Sting in WWE at this point. He's in TNA, and if he's happy there, that's all that really matters then.

didn't Sting just renew his contract with TNA? could be wrong but i'm pretty sure he did.

Anyway, if Sting did go to WWE, having just got and lose to Taker would be pointless. I like many have this "dream match" but, not at mania when Sting is gonna lose. It would ruin the entire signing of the icon.

I wouldn't object to see him feud with Cena, Miz, Del Rio, or maybe Ziggler though. But i don't ever see Sting in WWE at this point. He's in TNA, and if he's happy there, that's all that really matters then.

Dixie said on twitter that his contract renewal is part of the storyline within TNA. His contract is up at the end of the year.

Vince should stop trying to sign Sting as a TALENT and just pick him up under a legends contract and place him in the HOF. Then they could use him at anytime.

Everyone seems hell bent on getting Sting to wrestle in WWE. I personally don't want to see him wrestle. I dont want him to take the place of a younger star unless it will help put someone over. Beating Sting is kind of equivalent to beating Undertaker of Triple H...hell even Flair and Michales. It's looked at as an honor in the back if you get put over, and it makes your character larger than life.

Actually I don't think Vince should attempt to lure Sting to WWE. 3 or 4 times they've tried Stings ended up sticking with his retirement or latter on TNA/Impact, so if Sting wants to be in WWE HE should give them an offer for he believes he's worth and what he's willing to work (dates) and see if they can come to an agreement.

I'm not going to run down Stings accomplishments as in WCW/NWA & TNA he's done it all, his character evolution is that of magic he truly is an icon of a company. He's loyal to the company he works for, i respect that, I just don't see how people call him an icon to the same standard of Hogan; had I not have watched WCW I wouldn't have known who the guy was or is as I never watch TNA/Impact.

To be fair we don't know what kind of reaction he'd get, impact is small and WCW closed 11 years ago the majority of his fans probably stopped watching wrestling so if Vince does bring him in, if I was Vince I'd do it as a one shot deal for the Royal Rumble if he get a 'diesel reaction' then cut a deal about bringing him in for a year maybe show up at WM after the Undertakers match or something and build towards them facing each other at the following Mania or something.

If Vince is smart, he'll never stop making advances at Sting.

Sting is the most popular wrestler to never work for the WWE. The man has carried other companies on his back and has an endless amount of stock to bring to the table. Vince is well aware of this and his ego will make sure that, someday, Sting enters a WWE ring. The possibilities of a run by Sting in the company are endless.

Mod Note:

Guys, stop spamming up this thread!! This is a non-spam section and the rules must be followed. If you are unaware of what constitutes "spamming" on Wrestlezone Forums, read the rulebook before posting any further.

Spam posts will result in warnings/infractions.

Vince is a businessman and Sting is a commodity. Of course he should go after Sting again.

He will not only get the wrestler, but he can now put out DVD's, he will have great merchandise sales, he will have a new hall of famer. He will also has a avenue to sell PPV's.

So anyone who says, no, just isn't in a business / financial frame of mind.

But perhaps, Vince can send HHH to try and get the deal done. Let him try a new direction to convince Sting to step on the big stage.

While I don't think it will happen again, I do think the chances of him thinking about it more seriously increase this year and next. I think past Wrestlemania 30, it's over. Sting is already 53 years old and isn't the wrestler he once was. His character is still great, but his in-ring skills are shot. Some say Flair at 63 is still a better in-ring wrestler than Sting is now. Some have even gone as far as saying if Hogan was healthy, he'd be better to. Maybe this is from the lax schedule and Sting really doesn't have to workout as much as he used to or do the grueling schedule he would have had to do in WCW.

I read, in the book I mentioned, that Sting was giving some serious thought to jumping ship when WCW was killing WWF in the MNW. In his words, Sting was afraid if Bischoff wound up putting Vince out of business, Bischoff would have pulled the plug on WCW, leaving many out of a job. Bischoff's sole purpose for WCW at the time was not making his product better, but was to strictly put Vince and the WWF under.

I think both Sting and Vince would be crazy not to discuss a possible deal. Sting is at the end of his career and, while I'm certain he has made some good money, would be set for life with just his signature on a WWE contract. With just one Wrestlemania payday, he'd probably make close to what he's made with TNA during his entire tenure (okay, okay, maybe I'm exagerating just a little, but that Wrestlemania check is usually pretty hefty). Not only that, the merchandise money that comes along with a legends deal..... and a legend like Sting..... damn!

Regarding that last match, I'm not so sure I want to see Undertaker/Sting. Just doesn't make sense to me. If Sting were to have one match in WWE, I'd rather see it be against either Ric Flair (obvious reasons) or Shawn Michaels. Shawn and Sting are good friends and share the Christian faith. A match between them would be like WWE vs WCW. Shawn never stepped foot in a WCW ring and Sting never (except for this once) had never stepped foot in a WWE ring. Also, you can play up the 'dark' vs. 'light' angle again. The only problems there are that both Flair and Michaels are 'retired'.

Should be a very interesting time later this year. I think it would be funny if Sting signed with WWE on December 21, 2012..... AND THEN THE WORLD ENDED! :p

Will Vince make an attempt, definitely. Will Sting accept? Well that's the real question.

Vince is a business man, he understands business. Even if Sting is over 50 there is no doubt Sting would be a draw in WWE and still after all these years is someone the fans want to see in a WWE ring. Sting is the most popular wrestler to never enter a WWE ring. I'm sure Vince can put aside his ego for business and try to get Sting there and treat him the way he wants.

The problem is Sting doesn't trust McMahon. He has often said he is afraid of getting the Dusty Rhodes and Ric Flair treatment (although I have no idea how Flair was treated poorly, he only won the Royal Rumble, was one of the main events at Wrestlemania, in a high profile feud with Savage and won 2 WWE titles, but I digress). He is worried he will just become another established WCW star who gets pushed to the background. I'm not saying it would happen but Sting thinks it will happen, therefore he's not there now. Its obviously not about money, if it was Sting would have came and left long ago.

Sting is the most popular wrestler to never work for the WWE.

That's the important point. Even as we talk of how Sting and Undertaker would look in the ring given their advancing ages, and given the "good guy vs. good guy" incongruity, the fact is that a match-up like this would be an event. A true event.

We've never seen it before....many people figured it would never happen ......and then it does. A lot of people would buy the PPV because of it, just as they did for WM28 with the Rock. Both Rock and Sting don't want to work full time for WWE.....and we don't need them to; it's part and parcel of what makes a one-time event so attractive.

Even with all the discussion, it remains clear that Sting is happy finishing his career in a wrestling organization that only 1/3 as many people watch as WWE: I still believe this is a disservice to himself and his fans. But, it's what he wants and what he's determined to stick with. Fine; that's the reality of the situation. They have to work around it.

It comes down to when he retires from TNA: when he does, he might be willing to do a one-and-out WM appearance for a truckload of money and possibly the largest audience that's even seen him perform in the ring. Then, he can go back to the beach for the rest of his life.

The thing is; when will he retire from TNA? For a lot of years now, we've been hearing him talk about reaching the end, right? This is his last year.....followed by another "last" year.....taking us to where we are today. It has to end somewhere, and he's not going to WM until it does.

Okay, so why Undertaker as an opponent? Why not someone else? I say it's because 'Taker in WWE is Sting's counterpart in WCW; the guy who was a face, yet existed as an "outlaw" in the scheme of the competing organizations. In many ways, both transcended their employers, setting themselves up as legends in the pro wrestling industry. Yes, there are other legends in WWE, but none as "otherworldly" as these two, both existing on the fringes of their respective companies. They're made for each other.

Maybe it happens as the last wrestling match in the active careers of both men.....several years from now. Maybe it turns out to be a great match because both men know they never have to extend themselves to that degree physically ever again in their lives, so they save the best for last, even given the limits of their aged bodies. I want to see it.

I detest the thought of never seeing Sting in a WWE ring; it just doesn't seem right. It takes only one night to change it.......and the way to have it happen is right in front of us.

Can you really say the initial wave of guys from WCW were big stars? Yeah there were a couple big names, but a majority of them weren't all that great. And the big-named guys who did stay like Booker T and Jericho went on to have successful careers afterwards.

I don't remember exactly which wrestlers were in the Invasion Angle, but I am sure most weren't worth keeping.

Jericho was never a "big name" in WCW, even when WWE brought him in, he was a mid-carder, credit to Vince for seeing the potential and pushing the guy though.

I always heard the reason Sting didn't sign was because he's a christian and couldn't get behind the direction of the WWE at the time (pre-PG) I wouldn't think it'd be an issue now though. A Sting match in WWE would do great buisness, I wasn't debating that earlier, I just never got the whole Sting/Taker connection...

"Can you really say the initial wave of guys from WCW were big stars?"

Benoit and Guerrero became main event level. And back in WCW I'd put Sting as one of the main guys, shucks Benoit could make it, and I'm sure Sting would be more over with the crowd ... but at 53 years old the clock is ticking on Stinger.

**then again Diamond Dallas Page was way over in WCW and didn't have the greatest career in the E.

if Sting were to make it to the WWE, I'd rather him feud with a heel (Ziggler for example) oppose to being brought in as an opponent for Taker.

i already have a WWE debut of sting planned, here it is:

on a smackdown, theres a fatal 4 way for the WHC. durning the match, the light go out and stings music hits, and a giant scorpion appears on the big screen. the lights go on and stings in the middle of the ring with his bat. he attacks the wrestlers. then he walks out the ring and grabs a mic and the WHC. he gets in the ring and starts ranting on how Vince mcmahon killed WCW, and ruined the meaning of the championship. and he says how vince mcmahon has disrespected the WHC and all the legends who carried the championship. sting will start complaining on how legends like ric flair, hulk hogan, mach man randy savage, lex luger, and sid vicious have fought to their last breath to hold this championship... and now some kid loses this championship in 18 seconds at wrestlemania. and then sting says hes not gonna let WWE treat the last piece of WCW like crap and then leaves and ''steals'' or kidnaps the tittle. and sting holds the tittle for 3 months beating new talent with his baseball bat in matches. and then john laurinitues asks sting what can he do for sting to give back the tittle, and then sting says if WWE is trying to kill the last part of WCW( WHC) ''then im gonna kill the last thing that remains to the undertaker...THE STREAK''. Setting up a fued between the two with sting attacking undertaker wih his baseball bat for weeks.

Oh ya, by the way... for a man over his 50's sting is amazing for what he can do in the ring. sting vs bobby roode was great, sting was moving silky smooth in the ring, DID U GUYS SEE HIS DROP KICKS?

Cenation™;3830526 said:
I'm just expressing my Wrestling views, just because you disagree with it doesn't mean its wrong.

I rise above hate.

Actually you are wrong wanting Vince to bury a legendary wrestler that is respected be all wrestlers , writers , promoters and fans. He never disrespected Vince in the 1st place he just chose to not sign with him. If you listened to a interview sting had done the reason he didn't join WWE when Vince bought WCW when The Rock said to Booker who are you? He felt he would have been mistreated and used.

I believe as long as Sting is alive, Vince and the WWE will try to get Sting for every April. There is absolutely no reason why Vince shouldn’t go after Sting every year. Year after year, it seems that Sting is giving in slowly but surely. At this point, I don’t even care if Sting faces Undertaker or someone else. I just want to see Sting’s WM Entrance and Hall Of Fame induction. I’d even pay to see Sting vs. Ultimate Warrior, with both of them inducted into the HOF in the same year.

I think the dream match factor of this isn't even based on the match itself. But rather, the lead up to it. The mind games that could be played out with these 2 could be amazing, someone on equal footing with the deadman when it comes to getting into someones head. Be it the army of Stings, watching with the bird in the rafters, faking being the dummy against the nWo as well as all his dark & cryptic promos, he knew how to build a match. And given he is a born again christian, and using a somewhat holy gimmick at times (his feud with Abyss comes to mind) they could do something there.

Why do people want to see this match? Face it Sting is awful, he was average in WCW and now in TNA is slow and boring to watch. Keep him off my TV please whenever I see him on TNA I stop watching.

There's really no good reason not to. Sting is the only major player in American wrestling for the past 40 years who hasn't in any way, shape or form worked for WWE. That in and of itself gives Sting a unique distinction.

As far as a match with Taker at WM goes, it'd be a very big draw. Both Taker & Sting are revered & respected by fans & wrestling insiders. To my knowledge, they've never met inside of a ring. Just having the two of them in the same ring at one time will be a major mark out moment.

I just dont see it ever happening. Vince could care less. This isnt even remotely a "Dream Match". Think about it? Hogan vs. Flair was the ultimate "Dream Match" and the WWE didnt even do that match when they could have.

Jericho was never a "big name" in WCW, even when WWE brought him in, he was a mid-carder,

true Y2J never reached main event status in WCW, but he was still very over and great on the mic.

**yeah I dunno if Sting-Taker is this Dream Match some fans are calling for. Sting certainly is a Major player and very well respected but is throwing Sting at the Undertaker for one big match at WM really the best use for Sting?

Since Sting has never wrestled for the WWE, he's never won a WWE title, I think having Sting somehow work his way into the World HW or WWE belt carries a bit more intrigue.

I really don't see the point unless Vince is trying to dig out any rating he can

WWE has plenty of guys Undertaker to work with at WM29 (Lesnar, Cena are the 2 big ones and if Stone Cold doesn't work out then CM Punk could do something with Taker)

I wouldn't care if it happens, but Vince doesn't NEED to go out of his way to sign Sting, but if Sting really wants to come to the WWE, I don't see why they can't let him come in for a a little bit

Of course he will, and he'll keep doing it until Sting finally agrees or dies.

Sting is basically the "Holy Grail" for McMahon, so to say. As has been pointed out, he's the only big name wrestler never to wrestle for Vince. And knowing Vince's personality as we do, he wants the satisfaction of saying Sting worked for him, even if it was at the end of his career. McMahon's ego needs that. He put WCW out of business, but never got one of its biggest stars.

One thing you can say about Steve Borden is that when he works for a company, he's very loyal. He stuck with WCW through the Bill Watts era, through the Monday Night Wars, until the very end, wrestling the company's final match against Ric Flair. At the time of the purchase, he didn't want to go to WWE because he didn't want to get buried and because of his Christian values (at the time, WWF/E was still in the middle of the Attitude era, and Sting wanted no part of the sex and violence aspect of WWF/E). So, after WCW folded, he waited until he could come back with a company that had potential, that being TNA. He then proceeded to become one of the biggest stars there as well. Again, Sting has been pretty loyal to Dixie Carter and TNA since signing on there, but both parties know that his time is drawing to a close.

Maybe once his TNA deal expires, he'll sign on with WWE for at least a Legends deal or even a one-off match. I guess it would be with Undertaker, since that's what everyone seems to want for some reason. While I don't see Sting being the one to end "The Streak," Taker realistically only has maybe 2-3 more WM's in him working on his current limited schedule, so both may go out working together. I think it would be interesting to see Sting in WWE, even if only for a brief period. As a fan growing up in the 80s and 90s watching Sting in NWA/WCW, I always wondered how he would do if he ever went up there. Now, WWE already owns all of WCW's back catalog, so they can use any of his past matches he was in as they please (and already have).

The fact that Sting almost signed last year (and the fact that that info has circulated so widely) shows that there's still a possibility. Basically, it's up to Sting what he wants to do. Vince has the money and the ability to keep offering each year. Now in his 50s, I think Sting realizes the exposure and impact signing on with WWE would have, and that he could be a Hall of Famer (whatever that's worth nowadays).

However, maybe he truly doesn't care and wants to keep that record in tact of being the biggest name to never work for WWE and retire that way, just to piss Vince off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back