• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Why the JBL/HBK feud is stupid

Personally, I think the feud itself is fine. Right now, there isn't much else for JBL and michael's to do but feud with each other. There isn't room for them in the title picture at the moment, and while I agree with RVDgurl's comment that they could be used to put younger talent over instead, this will take up some time before we get to that stage.

However, while I have no problem with the feud, I do agree that the storyline is a little ridiculous. To some extent, almost all wrestling stories are ridiculous and you need to accept them with a wink and a shrug, knowing that no one would ever do X, or no one would ever respond by doing Y.

But in this case, certainly something could have been done better. There's plenty of possibilities they could have done without it being shawn selling himself out. I'm not a storyteller myself, but I agree that the idea of shawn michael's being broke is quite a stretch, because what he would make in just one year alone would probably be enough to comfortably support his family. If they want to have a financial based storyline, there are other options. Or they could have a feud based on something else entirely. Maybe even bring his wife back into the picture somehow.

So in summary, don't mind the feud itself, but don't care for the storyline behind it. Like others have already said, it's a pretty big stretch.

TBH the feud is perfectly fine and on Monday night the feud was even more spiced up when JBL came out and took HBK's award, however I have one major gripe with this angle and that is:

Why the hell would Michaels, a long time superstar that has been working for the WWE for the best part of 12/13 years going to get a lower pay than other wrestlers? Wouldn't he just leave and wouldn't that mean that other wrestlers are becoming 'poor' and that they would need to go to JBL? This is the problem in WWE these days. They only focus on a angle that they think only affects the people involved in the feud, not the company as a whole.

I was hoping Hbk and JBL were going to start a new tag team or faction but seeing this story unfold I believe is so unbelievable, though i like whats goin on, but i really hope Shawan strikes back and by doing so i mean play games with JBL's mind and kind of go back to the old shawn, I doubt it will happen but it would definently spice up this fued IMO

I actually don't think JBL is as bad as people say. He may be stale in the ring, but at leat he has a decent arsenal of moves. Not only that, but as Kyphael pointed out, he's awesome on the mic, probably better than 95% of the other Raw superstars, and he always cuts great promos.

As far as this new angle goes, It can't be any worse than what they've been doing with HBK and JBL prior to this, which is nothing. HBK, though still a great wrestler, has been getting stale simply because they haven't had anything to do with him. JBL was doing nothing but squishing jobbers such as Haas, so it helps him too.

So in the end, it helps out both guys. It will give HBK a chance to try something different, and its a chance for JBL to elevate himself as a major heel.

i like where this is leading...as it unfolds more and more, i get deeper and deeper. HBK can use this heel turn greatly, RVDgurl said up there that they should be putting younger guys over, which is exactly what they will be doing (together) but instead of putting over main event stars for singles, they can build the (dead) tag team division, putting guys like kofi/punk over (even if they make no sense as a team at all) morrison/Miz cryme tyme alltho i cant see creative pulling something like this, from my prospective it could be a much needed boost to the tag div.

What they should be doing is having HBK actually be a heel. Is this vanity? He is a very bad actor, he was a bad actor last night and a bad actor when he and Flair fought at Wrestlemania. I knew that they would be the last two in the ring, and I am very disappointed in this. They could have made it into a good team. But nope.

The angle is stupid because HBK has main evented so many shows, been in top for WWE for so long, that if he's got no money he's one of the biggest loser of all time. He's a face, so he really shouldn't be shown as being weak. This is done often, but not to main event caliber wrestlers.

I have no sympathy for a wrestler who's supposed to have made and lost millions, who cries in the ring over taking a pinfall loss. Especially when he could have won the match and taken a heavy pay day at the Rumble.

There's so many other ways this angle could've gone. Why this? HBK has main evented for years. No way in hell he has no money.

I don't understand why people are complaining about this angle online. The live crowd is eating it up, as I believe it is a GREAT angle, and the BEST storyline in the WWE right now after last night. That was a great way to close the show, and will get JBL unparalled heat. It looks like there will be a JBL vs Shawn Michaels match at WM which is what I am hoping for. HBK can make anyone look good at WM, and if this is some sort of gimmick match for HBK's Job that will make it even better. I actually hope JBL wins the title with HBK's help, only to lose it at NWO to probably Cena due to HBK finally rebelling....culminating at WM25. JBL like Kane deserves one last title run before he exits, and I don't think anyone should disagree with that. He has worked hard since returning from injury IMO.

Now, for those who say "it's not believable, HBK is rich", I say why are you dissecting wrestling angles so deeply now? You can say this angle is fake but you won't complain when the Undertaker has Druids come and carry people away, or when he sent Edge to "Hell" and fire came up...everyone was saying "That was a great ending!". Wrestling is fucking fake and it always will be so you can bend reality as much as possible. We all know that Kevin Nash wasn't REALLY HBK's bodygaurd, we all knew Zeus didn't actually come to get Hogan for revenge, we know Nailz wasn't really in Jail with the Big Bossman and was coming after him, we all know Undertaker didn't try to kill Kane as a baby, and we all know Undertaker and Kane are not brothers. Why the fuck are people complaining saying this isn't believable? The angle is HBK is broke. We ALLLLLLLLL know he isn't just like we know a lot of things are fake. Would it be different if HBK didn't look so reluctant and pitiful? Would it be better if he was a hired gun? Regardless the angle makes for great television and really has me on the edge of my seat wondering how low will HBK stoop for JBL's money. This is just what the Million Dollar Man used to do in the 80s and 90s. Why are you guys complaining about it now? This is nothing new.

Internet wrestling fans can dissect the angle as much as they want but the fact of the matter is that its working, its drawing some intese heat from the crowd and thats what matters. Complain all you want, say its shit all you want but your proven wrong every time there is a segemnt for this angle, because it draws heat. I'm not a huge fan of it but hey i dont really matter, the main audience matters, people buy into it and its working. I cant believe people are complaining about it not being realistic.....its wrestling..... durrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.......
Plus, Michaels explained why hes broke, its because he gave away most of his money and was heavily invested in stocks so he lost the rest of his money. And Michaels looks homeless with that beard and hat so that makes it work even better.

I have to agree with people saying this angle does work. Of course HBK isnt broke. But why is it so unbelievable that a rich person could go broke. Wrong investments, blah blah gone. Nothing left. People buy into the other crap that goes on, why not just give this angle a chance.

This angle has me interested, they have a wrestler near the end of his career saying he is broke and gets himself hired by the rich arrogant guy who forces hbk to help him in his matches and bosses him around.

JBL for WHC, 25/01/09

Nobody needs to dissect the angle, which is why it's stupid. Not one person has dug deep and tried to find out what the angle is truly about. It's simple. JBL is a stockbroker, seemingly unaffected by the credit crunch. Not only that but he's hiring a superstar, not some mid card talent who he's paying peanuts. He's hird Shawn Michaels, who you'd assume he'd be paying more than whWWE currently are.

People aren't really looking too deeply into the storyline, they're just stating the obvious. That's what forum people do anyway.

The story is pretty good - better than most of the stuff on RAW going right now - but it looks like they will stretch it all the way to Wrestlemania, and THAT sucks. Even if JBL wins and keeps the belt until WM, Shawn winning it from JBL at the big event will still be under par with what you expect from a WM main event (I doubt they will put that match before the last two matches of the night). Why? Cause it involves JBL. The guy is a upper-card jobber. If Shawn and JBL meet at WM it's 100% certain Shawn will win. This would have been a great Summerlam match, but not Wrestlemania.

First off ive always felt that the "real" angles , that could happen and are more life resembled are always the better ones.
Now after sayin that i feel like i am contridicting myself, nobody over the age or 10 is buying the hole "im bust and out off cash" by HBK for this storyline so that part seems stupid , however this is actually a good angle. I think that it gives us a different side of HBK we have never really seen , when was the last time HBK took orders and done what he was told all the time, and also unpurposly lost a match?
I think this angle will work alot better AFTER its finsihed , as when HBK superkiks JBL and goes back to his old showstopping ways, the fans will appreciate it so much more. Therefor i think this angle is good, it seems to be more of a way to get HBKs charcter less stale and "the same old thing" type charcter. its given us a new look at HBK and itll make us apreciate him when he does go back to his old ways.

:eek2: I think it is the most dumb angle so far in 08-09 really people one know that HBK has all the money any on could ask for. And i am getting sick of of seeing him lay down every single week!!!!! i mean it pisses me off when i think about it if you are going to run an angle make sure it is not crap!!! but if it going where i think it is then it will be an ok ending to it with HBK VS. JBL at WM25! Now that would be a good ending to this angle if you ask me!!!!!!

The reason this angle is terrible (at least to me) is because JBL is HORRIBLE. He is simply someone who when he is on, I change the channel. I try to watch him but he's just not entertaining to me. I also find his wrestling style to be 100% boring. The only thing I ever remotely liked JBL in was the APA.

Now with HBK, he still puts on great matches but we see him in the same angle again and again -- "looks like HBK is down and out and beat...wait what's this, he suddenly fights back and comes out on top." His promos are really repeating as well and basically consists of "I'm HBK and I lay down for nobody, oh man I'm in this terrible position so I'll make the best of it but I'll get you!" At least watching him perform is still good.

As for the whole "Michaels lost his money" thing, if you don't really want to buy it all they have to do is simply say he invested poorly and continued to invest poorly and not the economy is bust. It's happened to people with far more fame and money than a WWE wrestler.

I want to say this is growing on me, but honestly, it's not. All my thoughts are exactly the same as they were at the beginning of the feud. In fact, I can barely watch. And when I say that about something involving HBK, it must be bad.

This is obviously going to end in a big match-up between the 2, which I'm sure will be good. I just want them to get past this part now. Maybe it's just because I'm such a big Shawn fan, but it all seems painful to watch. All I want to do is shout at Shawn to stop being an idiot. I hate the way he's being booked in this feud, and my only comfort is that hopefully they're making him look weak now so his big 'return' will seem even stronger.

To be honest, this has grown on me quite a bit. That says a lot, considering I was about the first to shit all over it. In fact, this very thread was created after an off site conversation between HBK-aholic and myself.

Mostly from HBK's promo's and backstage stuff, this has become semi belivable, with the half true to life stories of rampant buying, pill popping, and crazyness, with HBK pissing away all his money. Both guys are selling their roles very well, namely Shawn, and I see room for growth, and betterment of this thing. I will continue to watch and give it a chance, to see if they can continue to drive the heat up

I want to say this is growing on me, but honestly, it's not. All my thoughts are exactly the same as they were at the beginning of the feud. In fact, I can barely watch. And when I say that about something involving HBK, it must be bad.

This is obviously going to end in a big match-up between the 2, which I'm sure will be good. I just want them to get past this part now. Maybe it's just because I'm such a big Shawn fan, but it all seems painful to watch. All I want to do is shout at Shawn to stop being an idiot. I hate the way he's being booked in this feud, and my only comfort is that hopefully they're making him look weak now so his big 'return' will seem even stronger.

U know at first i will say that i was dissapointed as i feel that WWE shud continue planting the seeds for Shawn vs Taker t Wrestlemania 25. The only thing that bugs me about this feud is how it makes Shawn look so weak like he's in prison and is JBL's bitch. But as of lately the main reason i tune into raw is to see what in tghe world are these two going to do next so i wil say that the feud is growing on me but this is one of those feuds that take time but with Mania around the corner we need to end dis crap and focus on The Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels

i just don't see the point to this angle.it's not gonna elevate HBK or JBL any further.and besides JBL is over the hill and needs to go.maybe this will end with a match at Wrestlemania where the loser retires.

A) This past week on Raw we heard about the offer JBL made Shawn Michaels, and it looked like he's accepted it. JBL wants HBK to come and work for him. In this promo, JBL insinuated HBK was struggling financially, and played on Shawn's love for his family. But are we really supposed to believe the man we've seen headlining Wrestlemanias and tearing the house down every night has no money? Nothing in a bank, or no other skills? This is going too far for the WWE, and I think most fans will find this a stupid concept to grasp.

Let me answer that by asking a series of rhetorical questions.

1. Are we supposed to believe the Undertaker & Kane have god-like powers?
2. Am I truly supposed to believe a guy like Rey Mysterio could even "dent" a guy like the Big Show?
3. Do you seriously want me to think a guy like Steve Austin could do all the things he's done to Vince McMahon and not end up fired indefinately, sued beyond his bank account, and/or put in jail??

The fact is.. this storyline is MORE believeable than some of the above mentioned ones, because Wrestlers DO selfishly and unwisely spend their money. Look at all the former greats, who're either filing for bankruptcy, barely surviving in mobile homes off canned foods, or living off of their Family.

It's entirely believable that Shawn Michaels could've immaturely spent away all of his money, to the point of needing extra help. Not to mention, especially if you connect that to the fact that through storylines.. the winner of wrestling matches gets paid.. whereas the loser either doesn't, or barely makes anything. And Shawn hasn't won anything remotely meaningful in a while. So yes, it's quite believeable.

B) People have recently started calling HBK 'boring'. Do you wonder why, when this is the most recent of his angles? To stand in the ring and cry? People want the old HBK back, the flamboyant excited man everyone loved. Instead we have this broken shell of a man who's acting cowardly. if this is the way Vince is going to go with HBK from now on, it's stupid. It doesn't suit him.

I direct the series of bolded comments.. to this video. :D

[youtube]K9AzgP9wabg[/youtube]

The fact is, this storyline has me more interested in Shawn Michaels then the assumed "I'm retiring because of a career ending eye injury.. that just magically healed because you punched my Wife."

C) JBL is one of the most boring men on the mic ever. He just has no emotion in his voice at all. When I was watching Raw I was just thinking about how boring he sounded, how I'd have probably been a sleep if I had to listen to it much more.

You only say this because of two reasons.

1. You're an H.B.K. fan and can't stand to believe your idol is about to (or rather has) become a slave.

2. You don't want to believe J.B.L. has any talent, because you hate seeing your idol in this way. Get over it.

J.B.L. isn't emotionless, he's heartless and greedy. It's what makes him great, and this angle is allowing H.B.K. and J.B.L. to do what they do best, without having them do what they can't do..

For J.B.L., it gives him the ability to control someone and be their "master". Minus the up-coming Rumble Championship match (which I don't agree with) this has given J.B.L. a renewed purpose to be in the company.

For H.B.K., it's all about how much he can take. But the truth is, this is letting H.B.K. do what he does best.. perform, whether it's forced or not, it's giving him a reason to do it.. which is something he hasn't had lately.

In other words.. this is giving Shawn Michaels a continuing reason to remain a Wrestler. If it wasn't for this angle, what would he be doing? Meaningless single's matches against random guys? It's not like he's got Championship gold in his eye-sight, nor does it seem the company is ever going to give him the title again.. if they were, he likely would've won it in the Ladder match against Jericho.

D) HBK Vs Morrison would be great for both of them. I won't go into that in too much detail because thre's a thread solely for it, but it'd be so much better than the JBL feud. Who's benefitting from that really? Shawn is one of the best in the ring, and right now he's supposed to be helping the talent of the future become as good as him. Not crying in the ring over some old, boring idiot.

An H.B.K./Morrison feud would help Morrison, and rejuvinate H.B.K.. but ultimately, it'll be just another meaningless feud that has no true purpose. The J.B.L. storyline has a background, a back-bone. It has solid purpose, it's all about how much a Man can take, to provide for his Family.. How much respect he has for himself, and how much he can swallow his pride before he finally caves.

You just need to be realistic about what's happening and get over the fact that your boyfriend has become a man-bitch to J.B.L.

i just don't see the point to this angle.it's not gonna elevate HBK or JBL any further.and besides JBL is over the hill and needs to go.maybe this will end with a match at Wrestlemania where the loser retires.

I love how you seemingly can't stand this angle because you don't like J.B.L. and want him to go.. yet you willingly wish to push this storyline for another 2-3 monthes into the biggest Pay per view of them all, in an attempt to repeat what happened last year by retiring one or the other. :disappointed: Try something original for once.

You're completely wrong in assuming this isn't helping either man. It's fully benefitting BOTH men.

For Shawn: It's allowing him to refind a passion for the business, and a self-respect for himself. This is a storyline for him, that's all about (as I've said) self-respect and swallowing pride to provide for your Family. It's about as real as you could get.

For J.B.L.: It's about finally giving him the option to use his gimmick the correct way. For years, since becoming "J.B.L." he's been this so-called "rich man".. but he's never used his money to get himself anywhere. Now he finally is, and he's bought himself a bitch. :lmao:

J.B.L.'s weakness is his in-ring wrestling ability. He isn't made to be a wrestler, he's made to be a Master, a Leader and exactly what this storyline is letting him be.. a controller.

He can insert H.B.K. into any match he sees fit. He can force H.B.K. to lay down, so he can pick up a victory, without having to make us suffer through J.B.L. matches. He's buying his way to the top, which is perfect for his gimmick. It's making J.B.L. become even more hated, and it's working.

For J.B.L.: It's about finally giving him the option to use his gimmick the correct way. For years, since becoming "J.B.L." he's been this so-called "rich man".. but he's never used his money to get himself anywhere. Now he finally is, and he's bought himself a bitch. :lmao:

He can insert H.B.K. into any match he sees fit. He can force H.B.K. to lay down, so he can pick up a victory, without having to make us suffer through J.B.L. matches. He's buying his way to the top, which is perfect for his gimmick. It's making J.B.L. become even more hated, and it's working.

Ok before I get started. I have to say this.... WILL SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE JBL A BRA!!!!! Please anyone? I am getting sick and tired of his man breasts (sorry don't know if I can man b**bs) At least where a shirt or something. Can't stand to watch JBL wrestle. Ok I am done venting about that.

Ok now onto the question at hand. Is the JBL/HBK fued stupid? I think TheOneBigWill hits it right on the head about his thoughts on JBL. This whole storyline reminds me a little bit of Million Dollar Man. WWE has it looking like that JBL is going to "buy" his way to the Championship at the Royal Rumble. Which I do not believe JBL is going to win. WWE is using a struggling economy as the back drop to reach out to the fans make this storyline work. I could see WWE going a lot of different directions with this whole JBL buying people. JBL could easily become the next Million Dollar Man of today's WWE. One could even go as far to think that Ted DiBiase Jr. could align himself with JBL (unless WWE uses DiBiase with the whole Legacy stable) I just don't seeing this angle ending with a JBL/HBK match at WM.

Yes work wise jiggy boobs layfield is terrible but the angle isn't so unrealistic. Wrestlers who were stars in the past do fall on hard times finacially and wrestlers do not have a pension plan when they retire or get hurt. Even though people won't really believe hbk is poor now I believe the major demographic of wrestling watchers 18 to 35 wasn't suppose to believe in the first place. None of the angles done in wwe are not meant to so realistic but meant to be entertaining and so far its going pretty well. The most entertaining part was when hbk was told to lay down to jbl when for years told the fans he lays down for no one it was perfect irony. As for who this angle is putting over it seems to put jbl over and give him more heat because on any given day hbk could beat jbl hands down but because jbl holds hbk finacial future he comes off more superior. I don't know about the whole underdog thing just jeff hardys angle with triple h was more like that. Wwe seems to be trying play on hbks legacy and the misfortunes of many greats before hima dn this angle is a good way to bring the truth of wrestling to the surface. Jbl seems to be doing better than the champ storyline wise cuz cena aint involved in much but the championship match so before smarks shoot the angle try to understand it and how well it developed

In my opinion this angle is very entertaining. It is the main storyline on RAW right now, and I am glad that it is not only about the title. This is what wrestling storylines should be like. There should be an underlying issue, it shouldn't be "You have the title, and I want it", which is always the storyline Cena, HHH, Batista and others are in. JBL and HBK are telling a story, and the matches that have taken place have been telling stories. Everyone is crying about storylines, well we have one, and we have one that is GENERATING HEAT...I personally don't see a reason to dissect and complain about it on any level. This is refreshing for me, and I hope this gets advanced by having JBL win the strap (only to lose it before Mania) and I am interested in seeing a JBL/HBK match at WM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back