• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Why did you start?

#1Peep

Pre-Show Stalwart
I know there have probably been a lot of threads asking how many years people on this forum have been watching. But what I want to know is why did you start watching pro wrestling? Recommended? Just switched in on one day and remained a fan ever since? During the boom of the late nineties?

At first I started because my dad watched it. I was only a casual viewer though and I stopped watching by the end of the Attitude Era.

I started watching SD again in 2005 and I really liked some of the wrestlers on the roster so I kept watching. I didn't start watching RAW again until 2006 or 2007, only because it came on in between episodes of Law & Order, lol.

TNA I started watching in November 2007, but I didn't really like it until 2009.

I started sometime in 2007, I think. May have been the Smackdown where The Undertaker returned to face Mark Henry and they showed that awesome vignette with the hand popping out of the Death Valley desert. Anyway, I started because I had been playing the videogames all my life, and one day I rented SvR06 and wanted to see who the people in it were, so I turned on Smackdown and really enjoyed it. Then I checked Mick Foley's book "The Hardcore Diaries" out from the library and I have been hooked ever since.

I posted a couple weeks ago that it was the cartoon show Hulk Hogan's Rock n Wrestling that brought me in. It was 1986 and I was six years old. I loved that cartoon and started watching the matches because of it. I've been a fan ever since. Good thing they were targeting kids.

Started watching Nitro when I was about 8-9. Sting, Goldberg and Jericho drew me in. I'm not quite sure but I think I was sick one night and stayed up and at the time it was on at like, midnight here and I saw it and got my mum to tape it every week for me so I could watch it after school :)

Didn't start watching WWE until 2005 because I had no way to, didn't have Foxtel. The first episode of RAW I watched was the first Gold Rush episode.

Started watching TNA late last year in the final couple of months of the Main Event Mafia.

Honestly, I just randomly flipped to the USA Network one night and saw Eric Bischoff give a post-Survivor Series promo in 2005 that led to a triple threat main event of John Cena/Kurt Angle/Chris Masters. Then I watched Bischoff get fired the following week. Been watching ever since.

I watched when I was younger. WCW was on terrestrial TV in the late 90s and despite not understanding it, I loved it. I also watched WWE at the same time but I'm not sure how because my parents never bought Sky (on account of despising Rupert Murdoch). I remember having Backlash 2001 on tape and freaking out at the end of the Shane McMahon/Big Show match.

I can only say I have been seriously watching since very late December last year. I was just looking on YouTube at a few wrestling videos (I'd always taken a very light interest), saw that weeks Raw and decided to watch. From then on, I was hooked. My first real main event was John Cena vs. Sheamus in a rematch for the WWE Championship.

I had a bunch of different hobbies before, and then those pretty much died out. I went over to my uncles one night and he was watching SmackDown's debut on Friday nights on The CW Network. I was hooked ever since, although I do remember seeing SNME during the Orton-Brooke Hogan segment, but I changed the channel lol. Pretty soon after I found RAW, ECW, and iMPACT!

For some reason I bought SmackDown! vs Raw 2006 a year before I started watching or even knew what it was! I guess life just goes like that lol.

I was at my Grandfathers house and I was stuck there for at least 8 hours. He fell asleep at like 7 so I was flipping through the channels and Saturday Night Main Event was on. And the team of Kevin Thorn, Viscera, and Umaga came out. I couldn't take my eyes off the screen and have been watching ever since.

My brother always watched Raw/Nitro with some friends, so I decided to check it out. Been hooked ever since.

I started watching when we moved from NZ to Australia, wrestling was never on in NZ and if it was I didn't know where to find it. When we moved here I started watching bits and pieces of it when ever it was on but not too seriously. The first thing i remember seeing is Randy making out with Steph in the lead up to WM 25. The first episode of Raw I watched all the way through was the one where Shaq was the Guest Host and I have watched ever since. I'm not sure exactly what got me to watch as for the longest time I was one of those people who thought "Wrestling's fake so it's shit".

OP Note: Well even at the age of 8/9 I knew that wrestling was fake and refused to watch it. But whilst watching TV at the age of 12 I accidently flicked on Smackdown which had Benoit tearing apart some helpless jobber and it got me slightly interested. My friend then revealed to me that he was a huge fan of WWE and told me to watch it the next moment that I could. After watching an Edge/Cena encounter, I was hooked.
My friend and I were so obsessed by pro wrestling at this time that we even held mock matches in the long jump pits at lunch time; complete with FU's and Spears.

I've always known what is was. In about 2nd grade I started getting into WWE a little bit and talked with my friends about it. It was only about 2 years ago I started being a true fan. Now I watch Raw every week and order almost all of the PPVS. I started to really get into it because my best friend was a huge fan. I only started watching TNA in the middle of this year. I'm still not a big fan of TNA though.

My dad has been watching since he was about 4, so I've been watching since I was born, but the first time I remember anything is from '98, so I'll say it's just something I've always done.

I was a little kid, like 3 years old. Couldn't miss an episode. I obviously don't remember how, but I grew up on the Attitude Era. Fun times.

I was 4, and I apparently became a fan because my older sister was a fan at the time (she was 8). Watching pro wrestling was just a small phase for her though, whereas it stuck with me for life.

My dad was a big wrestling fan and I would always watch with him. I have no clue when exactly the first time I watched wrestling was but my first memory was when I was 3 watching Yokozuna against Koko B Ware on the first episode of RAW.

My dad and uncle ordered the legendary 1998 King Of The Ring. My first major memory was Mankind being tossed off the cage. After that I watched WWF and ECW on occasions, but not as regularly as I would by 2001. My gramps took me to a few wrestling events and started watching WWE full-time since.

As for TNA, I used to read about the cards via my guide and believed it was some sort of team MMA thing due to it listing stuff like "Team Mexico", "Team Russia", "Team 3D" and "Team Canada". Mostly, it was the World X Cup. Then I saw the commercial for Slammiversary: This Is The One (2006) and saw Sting, Christian, Jeff Jarrett, Abyss and a few others and got hooked later on when I learned it aired on Spike from my gramps. My first iMPACT! was the one where Angle headbutted Samoa Joe.

With a video like that, it's no surprised I was baffled by TNA.

I started watching during the Attitude Era too, when I was 3 years old. My brother watched it all the time and one day I watched it with him and thought it was cool and got hooked on wrestling.

I started watching in the last 90's not exactly sure the year but I think I was 6. I watched with my friend but when he moved away I lost interest. One day I decided I would turn on the tv and watch RAW and it was the night after Wrestlemania 22 and i've been watching again ever since.

Because when I was a 3 year old my mom sat me down in front of the tv and it happened to be on.
I seemed to enjoy it so she would turn it on every week and I would just sit there and watch it.

I've been watching wrestling since before I can remember.

Seriously. I can not remember a time I wasn't watching wrestling. I just never stopped. So give or take 24 years of watching.

I can't remember when I found out what the WWF was, but all the other kiddos at were watching it. I don't remember Hogan, but I do remember Bret, Shawn, Undertaker and Yokozuna.

Then, when I found out it was fake, I stopped. I remember Bret saying you can't fake a 500 pound guy jumping on you, but Austin and the whole Attitude Era turned me off wrestling, actually. Got back on the horse again in 2010 with Edge, Kane and Rey and have been catching up and watching old videos ever since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back