Why did WWE release Maria?

y2jvaljcasta

Dark Match Jobber
Ever since I heard that Maria was released,I was baffeled...not because I'm head over heels for Maira because I'm not and never really was. But out of all the divas, why Maria? I mean we are talking about a divs who has probably has the most momentum of any diva who hasnt been womens/divas champ...She had a great storyline with Santino and then again with Dolph Ziggler...she posed for playboy in 2008 and was the 2009 Diva of the Year...What are your thoughts?

She cannot appear on any other show while she is on Celebrity Apprentice. Releasing her is a cost cutting measure, being that she is being paid by Trump. I imagine she will be back.

Agreed...
1. She was one of the hottest divas
2. She won Diva of the year so she was obviously over with the fans
3. A new storyline with Matt Hardy may have been developng
4. :banghead: come on wwe her time did not come yet!
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
l_c7fe7bc330bc891c294c1a45637aa4c5.jpg

Because Maria was going to become more than a diva! Vince McMahon was scared she was going to be successful in other fields of entertainment and he can't stand that. There is no good reason period that she got released and Maria will have the last laugh on Vince McMahon! Those who doubt will be wrong!

She cannot appear on any other show while she is on Celebrity Apprentice. Releasing her is a cost cutting measure, being that she is being paid by Trump. I imagine she will be back.

I agree this is a set up to bring her back as a surprise

but to the poster who mentioned it, she did nothing to deserve her Diva of the Year Award, it was for the Kanye/Taylor parody & she didnt even do anything for most of 2009

If anything it shouldve went to Melina, Maryse or Mickie James

Not even Michelle deserved it who had a long & boring title run and barely defended her belt. She was almost as worse as Maria in 2009 as far as her contributions to anything in WWE that year not to mention she failed at her role in the Piggie James storyline while Mickie & Layla were the only ones who made it the least bit interesting

So though I truly believe Maria will be back before SummerSlam maybe even sooner than that, she needs to step it up either way. I think she should train harder and get some impressive moves down and come back in time for a title bout at SummerSlam and maybe capture it shocking us all with some new in-ring flavor

Honestly, why is there a thread on Maria? Is anyone really that upset that an average diva got released? If I were to make some lists with one being the top 5 divas based on ring work, one being top 5 based on mic work, and one being top 5 based on looks, Maria probably wouldn't be in the top 5 of any of those lists. She sure as hell wasn't top 5 in the ring or on the mic and it's arguable to have her number 5 on the list based on looks. If she comes back it's irrelevant, if she stays away it's irrelevant. This whole thread is basically irrelevant.

Reading between the lines of her own post --as linked on the main site-- it sounds like she wanted more than WWE was willing to give upon renewed negotiations of her contract. It's happened before; whenever a diva gets a bit of outside fame WWE tends to tighten down the clamps to try and remind the ladies who's really in charge...

So she may not have been the most talented diva on the roster...agreed
But the timing of it all is perplexing??

If you remember when Ashley M. was on SURVIVOR,they brought her back to the WWE so they could milk the publicity from it.

With a new CELEBRITY APPRENTICE just starting up,Vince could've used it for some good publicity on a major network.

Just seem weird that Vince would pass up a shot like that:confused::wtf:

ESPECIALLY AROUND WRESTLEMANIA TIME!!

The world is filled with beautiful women but when I turn on a wrestling program I want to see wrestlers. Yeah, call me funny that way. Now I know that WWE doesn't pride themselves as being a cutting edge wrestling show anymore. They're perfectly happy referring to their talent roster and "performers" or "sports entertainers" so why pick Maria to release is somewhat of a mystery but I think you can throw Maria's name into a hat with all the other "divas" and you'll more than likely pull out a name that's completely expendable and will not hurt your ratings or merchandise sales at all. Maria was expendable so she got the axe. I personally didn't care that she got released cause she can't wrestle. Simple as that, for me.

Why did the WWE release Maria?

She can't wrestle. She's been trying, bless her heart, for a couple of years now, and can do a few moves, but asking her to work an entertaining five minute match is beyond her ken.

She can't act. She's been playing the same role for the past couple of years; the little naive girl who gets treated badly by her heel wrestler boyfriend. Her facial expressions run the gamut of looking surprised to looking surprised while possibly stoned.

If you can't wrestle, and you can't act, your future in professional wrestling is dim indeed, and it's a testament to Maria that she was able to pull ratings for so long in spite of her obvious dearth of traditional talent in the industry. I'm not saying she's not a talented individual; my ass isn't on prime time network TV now. She'll land on her feet somewhere else, I'm quite sure.

I dont think her release was a work just for her to be brought back as a surprise later. That only has a chance of happening with a diva that actually has something to offer the business. She probably felt she had a secure enough position in the company to try to get a bigger slice of pie. More money for less dates worked. McMahon didnt even bother to negotiate her new terms. He just released her. He was probably insulted, hence the quick release. The only time Vince ever passes on anything that financially benefits him is when he's personally pissed at someone. Thats why he didnt keep her around for WM and free promotion on another show/network. This diva got too big for her britches and bit the hand that was feeding her. At least thats what I think went down.

Regardless of what actually happened, WHO CARES? She was nothing more than eye candy. Average looking eye candy. She certainly wasnt the hottest diva and she was one of the more worthless ones in the ring. She wont be missed, except by all her fanboys on the internet who will keep starting threads about her. :p

she posed for playboy in 2008

I think this might have something to do with it.

WWE is PG right now and Playboy is anything but PG. However, that's not the only reason. Maria was terrible in the ring. Even by diva standards. She had been in the bottom tier for 4 years. That's a really long time, and with little to no improvement. Most likely what happened was they needed to get rid of someone that could be easily replaced that they didn't need and few people care about the divas, so the worst one, Maria, got future endeavored because she was one of the easiest to replace on the roster. She got replaced in her Smackdown face diva role by Tiffany, who is more attractive and better in the ring.

So why was Maria future endeavored? It was because she was terrible in the ring with no signs of ever improving, she was easily replaceable, and it would have been bad publicity to keep around for a PG company after having posed in Playboy. Few people are going to miss her anyway.

I read something Maria wrote regarding her release. I think it was on this site even. Maria said that her and WWE were neg.. her contract. She was asking for some things which apparently WWE didn't want to conceed to. So she was not resigned and released. She said the announcement was made before she got a chance to inform family and friends, who subsequently freaked out and began calling her.
Maybe it was simply WWE feeling her asking prices was a bit to high for what she brings to the table.

It's a damn shame...

She cant be TV while in Celebrity Apprentice, WWE probably told her to coem bac rit after the show was finished. besides, WWE isnt going to scroo up an oppurtunity to scroo with Matt hardy again.

hopefully to repackage her bwah ha ha ha, seriously other than being eye candy, she was terrible in the ring, believable as a ditz, (still not convinced she was acting) and her mic work left much to be desired. i know she can't appear on television during her run on celebrity apprentice. if and when she does come back, I would hope it would be repackaged as a total bitch. The e needs a female bitch manager (read that in a post some time ago) and she could use the fact that she was kicked to the curb as her inspiration.... could work, she probably couldn't pull it off, oh well, I for one am not sad she is gone!!!!!!!!!!!

The simple answer? She was a horrible worker. And completely ignorant to it. She set a standard about workrate in the women's locker room. As long as you're pretty, you have a job. And the WWE was proving that wrong. Add the Trump thing to the mix, and the writing is on the wall. Goodbye, Ms. Kanellis.

I actually thought I had seen something in her. She may not be the best in ring competitor, but I thought she had this aura of longevity, who would outlast the other Divas. When she was used to host the Macho Man dvd with Matt Striker, I thought she would have been continued being used as much more than just for her beauty. I always felt that with her commitment to the company, she would stick around even after her beauty would start fading away.

To me, she wasnt just a hot piece of t & a, she had/has a gorgeous face, a nice personality and thought she could bring alot of good to the company. I hoped Vince would see her for more than just a paycheck.

To me she was okay for like a second. She seemed to be trying TOO hard to play like a punk chick. When she knows she's really the ditzy chick who more fitz in with the Eugene crowd. LOL. All she was good for was just shaking her hips and throwing her hand like she had an invisible lasso. Besides, I do agree Tiffany is a much better performer already and seems to want to do more in ring and strive to make improvements where needed. I could've done what Maria did for free and not made demands on a contract...hey Vince...there's an offer here!!! :p
Maybe I'm just biased since I'm against lots of the eye candy in WWE right now, but I've just never really cared for Maria in the first place. I'll be glad to not see her Car article in WWE mag each month...I can buy Auto Trader monthly for that. :lol:

Because Maria was going to become more than a diva! Vince McMahon was scared she was going to be successful in other fields of entertainment and he can't stand that. There is no good reason period that she got released and Maria will have the last laugh on Vince McMahon! Those who doubt will be wrong!

Come on you can't be serious, proof of this been just a dream? two words...Stacy Keibler.

Is Maria set to be a better start and be greater? Maybe but maybe not, she needs to pulish a lot of things in tha order, I mean she is charismatic but don't tell me she would get the last laugh from the WWE because that is delusional.

She tried really hard to be a better wrestler and at a time it seemed like she was going to improve, but in reallity never passed from the girl that was beautiful but always got defeated.

She is not as bad as Ashley when it comes to in ring ability but ever since she was away she got worse in the ring. She needed a lot work, it was like she was just starting and by this time she should be at the level Candice Michelle was a couple of years ago.

So she may not have been the most talented diva on the roster...agreed
But the timing of it all is perplexing??

If you remember when Ashley M. was on SURVIVOR,they brought her back to the WWE so they could milk the publicity from it.

With a new CELEBRITY APPRENTICE just starting up,Vince could've used it for some good publicity on a major network.

Just seem weird that Vince would pass up a shot like that:confused::wtf:

ESPECIALLY AROUND WRESTLEMANIA TIME!!

Actually they didn't, they played the angle that she was fired with Vince firing her on TV so she could be on Survivor, but when they saw how bad she did on the show and that the publicity was not too positive and how she remained bad in the ring they let her go.

The only female they rehired after firing her was Stacy Keibler because she did really good on Dancing with the Stars, but after a while it cooled off and they let her go.

Stacy although is beautiful and not such a bad of an actress has had a tough time finding projects, even if she had the contract with Disney, How often have you saw her on TV?

In the end, Maria probably will come back, but then again probably won't since no offense to her, The way she was portrayed can be played by all the other Diva search contestans that still have a job like Tiffany, Eve and someone not from there but in the same trend Kelly Kelly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back