• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Why aren't there any female commentators?

lowandmighty

lowandmightyer
There seems to be only male commentators in WWE and TNA. I think a female commentator would create quite an entertaining subtle tension between the two usual male commentators as well as a refreshing different kind of perspective on the action.
I believe adding a female commentator to the general two guys would be a great thing. It doesn't seem like that much of a radical idea and there has been the odd guest female commentator over the years.

So there must be a reason why they don't have one. I can't figure it out so what does everyone else think?

It's something that has been brought up here before. The issue with female commentators is that it would take someone incredibly unique and strong to break into what has always been a male role.

Much like the requirements for male commentators, they'd need to have good articulation, a broad knowledge of wrestling, a personality that the fans can relate to, and a voice that isn't annoying. However, a female commentator would be disadvantaged if she wasn't good looking, since this is television after all, and audiences are fickle. Just look at the female anchors on most sports networks; style over substance.

I think it would work if they found the right candidate. Lord knows that the current commentary team are dire on a good day. Someone mature, intellectual, nuanced, and interesting.

Mustang Sally would be great at it ;), though I have no idea what she looks or sounds like; I'm guessing not a 60-year-old Oklahoman with Bell's Palsy. :p

You don't see women in the booth for baseball, football, or hockey. I've only heard women commentators for women's basketball games, and to be honest, they're a lot like women's basketball; they hit all the basics, but there's so little bombast that people don't pay attention. Instead, women are relegated to 'woman on the sideline' roles, or post-game interviewer.

Why? This is going to sound sexist as hell, but I wouldn't say it if I didn't think it was true- the predominantly male audience of these sports, and professional wrestling, do not want to sit and listen to a woman talk for three hours. It doesn't matter what she has to say, how insightful or intelligent she is. I think it's a role right now that simply isn't open to women. A man doesn't want a woman explaining to him the intricacies of the Williams shift; it's always been a man's job to explain to the silly-headed female why all the fielders are on one side of the field.

I'm not saying that's morally or intellectually proper, but announcers are put in their position by people who think they can do the best job of interpreting the sport for the audience that they have. If you think a woman's going to make your audience tune out, you don't give her that role.

I think it'll be a long, long time before you see a female professional wrestling announcer. Expect one in the major sports first- not Suzie Fillsinforaday, but a regular female announcer that the audience recognizes and connects with.

I don't know of any women pursuing announcing in professional wrestling. While it would be a challenge for any woman to make it, I am sure Vince would be open to putting a woman in that position if he thought it would make more money. It just isn't likely.

In my years of watching wrestling the only woman I could possibly see (and hear) calling the action would be Sunny. She had a quick wit, authoritative voice and certainly passed in the looks department.

But in the end though, isn't Michael Cole woman enough for all of us?

The thing that first jumped to mind for me is that, with many of the colour commentators, such as Taz, Jerry Lawler, Jesse Ventura, Randy Savage etc, they have the experience of being in the ring, often even competing against the wrestlers whose match they are commentating on.

They have first hand knowledge of the business, and can explain how much a particular move hurts, or how they managed to beat one of the guys by exploiting his weaknesses, advising the viewer on how a particular wrestler could win the match.

Same as watching football (soccer) on TV, there is always the main commentator, and then the colour commentator, such as Andy Gray, Andy Townsend etc who played the game and can pass on expert knowledge. In the studio, there is Gabby Logan, which is fine. But, commentating on the actual match is usually a regular announcer and an ex-pro with experience at that level of the game.

WWE actually used to have Ivory in the studio on one of their weekly roundup shows,- Bottom Line or Metal was it?

I think for this reason, we do not have a full-time Woman on commentary. Perhaps there could be women commentating on Divas matches as an experiement, see how the fans react? But I highly doubt we will ever get a woman commentating on Wrestlemania main events.

There aren't many women that would be well suited for the role because not many have been able to speak well enough to get people invested in what they have to say. The only woman that I could see as a commentator, and doing it well, would be Trish Stratus. She was one of the very, very few women in history that could fully control the emotions of a crowd when she spoke. When she spoke it sparked the intrigue of the fans and made them care about what she did.

The biggest attribute for a woman in pro wrestling is her looks, and a female commentator wouldn't be on camera much. It would just be her voice.

There also has to be women who are actually interested in commentating. How often do you hear about aspiring female pbp/color commentators?

When she TOOK HER CLOTHES OFF it sparked the intrigue of the MALE fans and made them care about what she did.
Fixed.

In all seriousness though, yes I do believe that if anybody, Male or Female truly cared about professional wrestling, than they would make a great commentator. One of my picks for a Female commentator though would have to be Lita. She's not 100% feminine, yet she's not a total tomboy either, she can give points of views from both genders in her commentary. Heck, I was watching an old episode of Heat from 2003 on YouTube, and she was commentating on it and doing a pretty good job.

Fixed.

One of my picks for a Female commentator though would have to be Lita. She's not 100% feminine, yet she's not a total tomboy either, she can give points of views from both genders in her commentary. Heck, I was watching an old episode of Heat from 2003 on YouTube, and she was commentating on it and doing a pretty good job.

Yes, I was going to say, I recall Lita doing some commentating and thought it was great. I think this was while she recovering from her broken neck. Lita has a great voice and fiery personality. I'd buy into it for sure. She could even be versatile enough to have a few minor feuds along the way whereas Divas would call her too scared to come back to the ring to have another match. Something along those lines.

Whoever mentioned Trish Stratus; that's a good thought as well.

When it's all said and done for her in-ring career, I like the thought of Beth Phoenix. She would know how to analyze a match, has a strong voice, and flash some personality behind her calling.

Overall though, I just don't see it happening. I don't there's a strong demand for it. Unless a popular women's wrestler approached WWE or TNA and really expressed a desire to take up the art.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back