• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who's Your Franchise Player?

MaverickMeyer

Yes, it is that big.
If you had to pick one wrestler, whether Indy's, ROH, TNA, or WWE to start your own wrestling company with, who would it be and why? Who would be your franchise player?

I would take John Cena, as his name alone would bring fans to my company, and his merchandise would give us great revenue. He can also put on some great matches on occasion, and can pretty much make any heel look credible(R-Truth as an example). Plus, he is very media friendly and would bring lots of publicity and good will to my fed.

From TNA I'd pick Samoa Joe. I don't know or why I'd pick him but to be honest, Joe has always clicked with me. He's skilled in the ring and is overshadowed by Angle, Sting, Bully Ray etc. I think if he got a chance to really shine as the top guy, I'd probably easily pick him. From the WWE I'd go with Kofi Kingston. He's real talented but the main thing that i'd pick him would be because he hasn't had that opportunity to get a push in the Main event scene yet. Both Joe and Kofi are pretty much over from what I've seen on tv unless I'm seeing things others aren't. Both Joe and Kofi can get some good spots when available too. Honorable Mentions would be: Lesnar, since he'd be a solid draw. Cesaro, because he's still young but can be dominant in the ring. But yeah I'd still say either Samoa Joe or Kofi Kingston would be the choices I'd pick. I'm not that into the whole Indy scene so I don't know whats going on there or who is doing what. Not a fan at all of the ROH so I can't say that I'd pick one of those guys either.

I don't know if I could pick just one, though I have at least a list of viable contenders, in no particular order.

CM Punk - Punk has proven himself to be a consistent, strong draw for WWE since he was elevated into the spot of a legit main eventer. From an overall perspective, Punk is one of the top in the world right now. Like almost everyone who makes it to the top in WWE, Punk has his fair share of haters. But, as I said, he's someone that's shown he can draw for the biggest company in the world. He has the ability in the ring, he has the personality, the charisma, the promo skills and the passion. I'm not saying that Punk is a massive mega draw or anything but look at the facts as we know them. Punk was obviously producing and producing big time, otherwise Vince McMahon wouldn't have kept him as the longest reigning World Champion for more than a quarter century.

John Cena - What a lot of people tend to look over is that pro wrestling is a business. It's a business whose primary goal is to make money. Like him, hate him or indifferent; John Cena is the biggest draw in pro wrestling and has been for the better part of a decade. Some might not be all that wild about Cena's more family friendly kind of character, which is understandable. I like the guy and he even gets under my skin sometimes. But, you can't argue with the results. Cena can connect with fans like few people can. Whether he's getting booed or cheered, his reaction is second to none. It's when you don't get a reaction that you should worry about. Cena has shown time & again that he's very strong on the mic and can deliver passionate promos with the best of them. Cena's also entertaining, consistently entertaining, in the ring. He might not be a technical wiz like Kurt Angle or a flashy high flyer like Rey Mysterio, but anyone who says "you can't wrestle" to John Cena is a fool.

Bobby Roode - Roode has consistently been one of the reasons I've continued to watch TNA even when what they were putting out Grade A crap. Bobby Roode is someone that does have the "It Factor". He has a good look, he's got the skills in the ring, he's got the charisma, he has the promo ability. In a lot of ways, Roode puts me in mind of a smaller Triple H, though Roode uses a bit more technical stuff than Triple H. Roode has that sort of intensity that's akin to Triple H and is at his best when he's in a serious mind set.

Austin Aries - Austin Aries reminds me a lot of CM Punk, only more muscular. Like Punk, Aries is someone who is thought of as one of the overall best in the world right now and with good reason. Aries is one of the genuinely few guys to come through TNA since I've been watching that struck me as someone that could be a legit top level player. When Aries arrived, TNA stuck him in the X Division and, let's face it, the X Division's relevance has barely registered as a blip on the radar for about 5 years now. Even though Aries was put into matches with the same couple of wrestlers in one variation of a gimmick match after another, he still brought interest to the X Division. Aries was a star and, frankly, it looks as though he wasn't going to let something as mediocre as the X Division keep him from being a star. The X Division didn't make Austin Aries relevant, Austin Aries made the X Division relevant. Want proof? Just look at where the X Division is now compared to this time 1 year ago. It's back to being its same old generally irrelevant self since Aries isn't a part of it.

Daniel Bryan - Daniel Bryan is someone who proved a lot of people wrong in 2012. Bryan went from being a paint by the numbers generic babyface to one of the most over heels on the roster within the span of a few months. Bryan has the goods in the ring, that was obvious to anyone whose ever watched him wrestle. He can brawl, he can do the high flying stuff and he's a technical wiz on the mat. But what held Bryan back was his seeming lack of charisma & personality. After he cashed in his MITB contract and won the World Heavyweight Championship in December 2011, it shocked people. Already, people were expecting him to drop the title within a couple of days. Not only did Bryan not drop it, but he held onto the title for somewhere in the neighborhood of about 4 months and had a meaningful run with it. Bryan spent the first half of 2012 wrestling as a World Champion or wrestling to become a World Champion. In September, something even more surprising happened. WWE put him in a tag team with Kane and they were actually good. They were featured in some of the genuinely funniest moments I've seen on WWE television in very long time. As part of Team Hell No, Bryan helped make tag team wrestling mean something in WWE again. There's work to be done still with it in WWE but, frankly, Bryan has done his part. On top of all that, Bryan is a significant moneymaker for WWE. His segments on Raw usually draw really well and his merchandise is among WWE's top sellers.

There are probably more, but those five are wrestlers who have proven themselves to be someone who either is or potentially can be a franchise player for any company.

From TNA I'd pick Samoa Joe.
WWE I'd go with Kofi Kingston.

Good picks. I'd say Samoa Joe is a bit past his prime but still has a lot to offer, and Kofi is so underrated it's sad.

CM Punk

John Cena

Bobby Roode

Austin Aries

Daniel Bryan

Great picks, any one of them could lead a company, but I still give Cena the edge due to marketability and bringing me instant money. Also, awesome points about Aries. He's fantastic, and one of my favorites.

If we're using the "who would you start a franchise with?" analogy there are two schools of thought: Am I playing to "win now", or "for the future"?

Obviously since this is the "wrestling business" conventional wisdom says for my company to be its most successful right now, a guy like Cena is a no-brainer. I'm gonna get a lot of attention and a built-in fanbase that basically gaurantee I have no chance to lose money on my early investment. From that same perspective Punk or even Lesnar would be a great bridesmaid choice.

Guys like Roode, Aries, and Bryan that were mentioned also provide plenty of defendable upside.

But there is one major thing aside from high level ability that all of these guys also share in common, all are comfortably on the wrong side of 30.

So with the assumed general logic already addressed, let's try the other angle on this...

If I had VKM/Turner/Panda Energy type deep pockets and I wanted to start my company from ground zero, and instead of trying to fill stadiums and blow my wad trying to compete with the biggest dog in the park right now(like Ted Turner tried to do in the mid-90s) I would rather lay the ground work for a company that could form its own identity and develop into a future competitive alternative for the top dog, even if that meant losing money the first couple years, then I may try a different approach. Instead of starting with the guy who would carry me for the next 5-8 years, let's consider a guy who could carry me for the next 15-18 years.

An argument could be made that this is what TNA tried to do with AJ Styles. But a few observations can be made on why that didn't work 100%. For one Styles is a somewhat limited performer who really only thrives as a babyface, and also possesses limited mic skill and personality. Also TNA continuely sold AJ short and left him to play second fiddle to any number of non-TNA created stars like Jarrett, Angle, Sting, Christian, etc. Which didn't help the cause.

So I would need to be fully committed to building around my young cornerstone, and additionally I would need to trust that that choice was a worker who could handle himself dynamically both in the ring and cutting a promo.

So who would that piece be that I could build around for two decades? For this strategy, my choice would be Adam Cole. Cole has been a professional for less than five years now, yet already has accomplished an impressive amount on the indy scene, winning numerous titles, most notably the ROH TV and PWG World Championships as well as being named the Wrestling Observer Newsletter rookie of the year in 2010. He is spectacular in the ring, great on the mic and, while being at his most effective as a heel, he has made his entire ROH run a very successful one as a babyface, showing a strong ability to get over in either role. All of this and the guy still sits at the tender age of 23 years old.

The only possible drawback for Cole would be size as he is only about six foot and 200 pounds, give or take an inch and 5 pounds or so. But as the wrestling world adapts that has become less of a drawback. Size didn't prevent the likes of Styles, Aries, Mysterio, Jericho, Guerrero, Bryan, etc, from becoming world champs in the last few years.

If developed and utilized correctly nothing should stop Adam Cole from being the second coming of Shawn Michaels. He literally has every natural tool HBK ever possessed, and at times they seem almost uncannily similar. To me that's a great formula for the "build for the future" franchise player- an updated version of HBK who could potentially still be a top star as we closed in on 2030.

But that's outside the box. The sure cash option is still Cena, and don't worry about ten years from now until it gets here. That seems to be the WWE plan anyway.

If I had to pick a guy that hasn't been mentioned, I'll go with Seth Rollins. People went apeshit for him in NXT, great in the ring, great look and still young. He's not Cena, but who knows what'll happen in ten years?

This is a fun topic. There's so many cool ways you could take this. I suppose it depends on what kind of promotion you want to embark on. Personally I am a big fan of Lucha style high flying wrestling and technical ability, so the guy I'd want to help jumpstart my promotion would be Daniel Bryan. He had name value before WWE, and now it's just even bigger. Bryan has showed that he can do wonders in the ring, as well as entertain with his unique brand of humor. I find him to be the highlight of WWE TV lately, so I'd love to start a company with him as the focus.

An argument could be made that this is what TNA tried to do with AJ Styles. But a few observations can be made on why that didn't work 100%. For one Styles is a somewhat limited performer who really only thrives as a babyface, and also possesses limited mic skill and personality. Also TNA continuely sold AJ short and left him to play second fiddle to any number of non-TNA created stars like Jarrett, Angle, Sting, Christian, etc. Which didn't help the cause.

So who would that piece be that I could build around for two decades? For this strategy, my choice would be Adam Cole.

But that's outside the box. The sure cash option is still Cena, and don't worry about ten years from now until it gets here. That seems to be the WWE plan anyway.

I totally agree with the AJ stuff. TNA could have had their own top babyface ala Cena with Styles, but never capitalized on it.

Adam Cole is a good choice. I like the thinking on having a young guy you can mold as your leader.

The WWE plan comment I somewhat disagree with. While the young talent have by no means been made to look super strong, I think WWE's future is pretty bright, with Cesaro, Rollins, Reigns, Ambrose, Ryback, Ohno, Dallas and Fandango just to name a few.

If I had to pick a guy that hasn't been mentioned, I'll go with Seth Rollins. People went apeshit for him in NXT, great in the ring, great look and still young.

Great pick. Rollins pretty much led ROH to being as popular, if more popular than ever back in 09 along with Austin Aries, so he can definitely lead a ground-up federation.

This is a fun topic. There's so many cool ways you could take this.

the guy I'd want to help jumpstart my promotion would be Daniel Bryan. He had name value before WWE, and now it's just even bigger.

Thanks! I quite like these type of questions as well. It's fun to read the different opinions.

Bryan, much like Seth Rollins, was leading ROH to new heights in 07 and 08. He has great charisma, even though I still feel it's largely untapped, and of course he's fantastic in the ring.

The WWE plan comment I somewhat disagree with. While the young talent have by no means been made to look super strong, I think WWE's future is pretty bright, with Cesaro, Rollins, Reigns, Ambrose, Ryback, Ohno, Dallas and Fandango just to name a few.

No doubt that I was overstating the current roster situation in WWE. I have stated in other threads that I am increasingly impressed with the direction that the developmental program has taken under Triple H's leadership. NXT is a great wrestling broadcast, and the relatively new trend to sign advanced indy talent that might not have been thought to fit the traditional WWE mold is a refreshing one.

Also The Shield angle has been played perfectly so far(as long as they don't job them out at Mania), and I feel all three are near locks as future main eventers. Reigns still has a lot of growing to do, but I believe he has all the tools to get there. And I feel Ambrose and Rollins are extremely close to main event ready talents that will each spend years at the top of the card. Either would be a great name to consider for this topic of discussion.

Also The Shield angle has been played perfectly so far(as long as they don't job them out at Mania), and I feel all three are near locks as future main eventers.

What would make me sad is if they reveal someone as the leader of the three. I think it's much cooler and somewhat creepy if they truly feel that attacking the faces is justice. Hard not to agree with them on some points from early on, like Ryback's sudden push and Cena getting title shot after title shot.

I have to say that I think I'm going to go with Dean Ambrose on this one. I've followed him since he wrestled for HWA, but even then just take a look at the guy and you can see future star written all over him. With his great abilities to cut a promo, and put up great matches I would feel comfortable building a company around him. Sure everyone likes a strong baby face, but the baby face is only as strong as his best villain. Obviously we're seeing how good of a villain he is right now, and I believe that in time he could be the baby face that the WWE want's Miz to be right now.

If I went with the indies however I would have to say Adam Cole as well. I've never met someone who can seem to go from being a amazing Baby face (ROH) to a hated heel (PWG) as easy as Cole seems to portray it. Not only that, but you have to remember he's still young and is only getting better the more he wrestles. So he would be another one of my Franchise players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back